Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reporting problems to GM

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Ed Biancarelli
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Reporting problems to GM

Is there a way to communicate directly with Chevy about issues with my 2020 corvette? Minor problems that don’t require going to dealer or issues the dealer does not have any info on. The Buick Enclave forum is regularly monitored by Buick and they will respond if someone lists a complaint.

Last edited by Ed Biancarelli; 04-13-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: adding mnore info
Old 04-13-2020, 04:45 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

call the concierge
Old 04-13-2020, 06:13 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I am curious, why do you not want to contact the dealer ? Your owners manual has a Customer Care number to call at GM, but do not expect them to have a lot of technical knowledge.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:21 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

I remember a day when they used to be on here...not that it made a huge difference but they would respond in the c7 section
Old 04-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,117 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Ask your questions/state your problems here. Others may know something.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Ed Biancarelli
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am curious, why do you not want to contact the dealer ? Your owners manual has a Customer Care number to call at GM, but do not expect them to have a lot of technical knowledge.
I will give you an example: The infamous screw sticking out and potentially chipping the door when fully opened. My dealer looked at my car and agreed that 1/32" of clearance was not much but said fixing it would not be covered under warranty. This "problem" should be noted by production for future builds.
Another example: If you select in preferences to have the mirror tilt down when in reverse and you fold the mirrors in, say pulling into your garage, and then back out in reverse out of the garage while the mirrosr are folded, then unfold the mirror they will not return back to the normal setting, but stay in the tilt down position. Discussed with dealer and he said that was probably the way they were designed. My Enclave has the same tilt preference but when I tested it the same way the mirrors come back to the normal position. Again not a biggie but something GM/Chevy should be made aware of. I am sure its an easy software fix.

Last edited by Ed Biancarelli; 04-13-2020 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yub (04-15-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:13 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Carrier pigeon, for all the good it'll do It's hardly GM's first go around at introducing a new Vette.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:10 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,880 Likes on 4,279 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Ed Biancarelli
I will give you an example: The infamous screw sticking out and potentially chipping the door when fully opened. My dealer looked at my car and agreed that 1/32" of clearance was not much but said fixing it would not be covered under warranty. This "problem" should be noted by production for future builds.
Another example: If you select in preferences to have the mirror tilt down when in reverse and you fold the mirrors in, say pulling into your garage, and then back out in reverse out of the garage while the mirrosr are folded, then unfold the mirror they will not return back to the normal setting, but stay in the tilt down position. Discussed with dealer and he said that was probably the way they were designed. My Enclave has the same tilt preference but when I tested it the same way the mirrors come back to the normal position. Again not a biggie but something GM/Chevy should be made aware of. I am sure its an easy software fix.
Sounds like you need to find another dealer who is more competent and who wants to help you.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,554 Likes on 4,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Biancarelli
Your dealer is wrong. GM has already acknowledged the problem. The dealer doesn't determine what's covered by warranty, GM does. And if the dealer doesn't submit a warranty request, GM might not know a problem exists.

Sounds like you need to find a better dealer.
The following 4 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
dave_2012_tt (04-15-2020), golddog (04-29-2020), jimmyb (04-16-2020), SouthernSon (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
Your dealer is wrong. GM has already acknowledged the problem. The dealer doesn't determine what's covered by warranty, GM does. And if the dealer doesn't submit a warranty request, GM might not know a problem exists.

It is simply amazing to read the diatribes of folks who without the benefit of even working in the industry are the ultimate expert. It is in fact at this point not a warrantable item. It very well might be a design flaw and GM may very well be working on a solution for future builds or even current production.

As someone wisely mentioned, Chevrolet decides what is under warranty...not the individual dealer. Chevrolet also does not pay nor authorize the dealer to undertake experimental solutions of their own making. The manufacturer will determine the course of action and issue a bulletin outlining the "fix" when and if that becomes the direction they choose to move.

Some people seem to be so consumed with their own interests they think these dealers, their employees, and the manufacturers themselves live in a bubble of ignorance and ineptitude. Factually, they know far more reality about current situations and policy/procedures than we will ever know. They make a living doing so and spend 24/7 involved. If they are collectively that stupid...how stupid are the people doing business with them?

The arrogance demonstrated dismissing this dealer as terrible, incompetent and saying to find a better one is staggering. There is certainly nothing in this thread yet to warrant that sort of omnipotent thought!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:31 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Sounds like you need to find another dealer who is more competent and who wants to help you.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:24 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Factually, they know far more reality about current situations and policy/procedures than we will ever know. They make a living doing so and spend 24/7 involved
I’m sorry but this blanket claim is factually untrue. There are many service managers, that many of us have dealt with, who are ignorant of actual policies regarding warranty items or even components/features on the vehicles they are supposed to service. Case in point from the OP & the issue with his mirrors not returning to original position “maybe they’re designed that way”. That tells me 1. The service manager, or whomever he spoke with did not know how they work & 2. Didn’t bother to find out to resolve the OP’s concern.

Personally, we’ve had to stop using a nearby dealer for service for one of our other vehicles because every time my wife would drop it off for an oil change she’d get harassed for $1,000 of “needed services” - none of which are called for by the manufacturer. At the last visit they marked “customer refused transmission flush, air filter change, brake change - may affect warranty” on the receipt. The air filters were literally 2 weeks old, the brakes have all new pads & the transmission fluid had been changed by me 2 weeks prior 20k mi before recommended in the service schedule.

So yes, there are plenty of incompetent service managers and personnel at dealerships who do not necessarily know more than the vehicle owner.

Last edited by JABCAT; 04-15-2020 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Bigredwing (04-17-2020), LawrenceFromTorrance (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

I’m sorry but this blanket claim is factually untrue. There are many service managers, that many of us have dealt with, who are ignorant of actual policies regarding warranty items or even components/features on the vehicles they are supposed to service. Case in point from the OP & the issue with his mirrors not returning to original position “maybe they’re designed that way”. That tells me 1. The service manager, or whomever he spoke with did not know how they work & 2. Didn’t bother to find out to resolve the OP’s concern.

Personally, we’ve had to stop using a nearby dealer for service for one of our other vehicles because every time my wife would drop it off for an oil change she’d get harassed for $1,000 of “needed services” - none of which are called for by the manufacturer. At the last visit they marked “customer refused transmission flush, air filter change, brake change - may affect warranty” on the receipt. The air filters were literally 2 weeks old, the brakes have all new pads & the transmission fluid had been changed by me 2 weeks prior 20k mi before recommended in the service schedule.

So yes, there are plenty of incompetent service managers and personnel at dealerships who do not necessarily know more than the vehicle owner.
The reality is that there are incompetent people in every line of work. The ignorant process would though be for us to assume because we disagree with the quality of one, they are all incompetent.

We have a car here with a mirror not working the way the buyer thinks it should. It works...just not the way expected. There have been 2700 new C8 Corvettes produced...less than one per Chevrolet dealer in the country. It is factual that there are 1000's of potential models and equipment variations available to dealers every model year going back decades...all cars going into Chevrolet dealers potentially daily for service. What kind of entitled ***** would call out the Service Personnel for not knowing why the engineers designed it that way. And, better yet, how long could you spend out of your year trying to find that needle in a haystack? If you don't like your dealer's people...get over it or find some you do. They'll struggle but probably survive!
Old 04-15-2020, 01:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz

And this is my biggest gripe with GM. They don't monitor the ignorant asinine crap that dealers perpetrate on customers! Cars are way too technical nowadays to put up with lazy dealerships that are only concerned with the showroom sales and not the service departments. If there is some monitoring it must not have any teeth or is terribly slow to act. We have to depend a lot more on service departments now and just hope that by the luck of the draw they have competent and conscientious personnel. I will always have an older vehicle in my garage that I can work on myself and with a hard copy service manual!
Old 04-15-2020, 02:09 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

The reality is that there are incompetent people in every line of work. The ignorant process would though be for us to assume because we disagree with the quality of one, they are all incompetent.

We have a car here with a mirror not working the way the buyer thinks it should. It works...just not the way expected. There have been 2700 new C8 Corvettes produced...less than one per Chevrolet dealer in the country. It is factual that there are 1000's of potential models and equipment variations available to dealers every model year going back decades...all cars going into Chevrolet dealers potentially daily for service. What kind of entitled ***** would call out the Service Personnel for not knowing why the engineers designed it that way. And, better yet, how long could you spend out of your year trying to find that needle in a haystack? If you don't like your dealer's people...get over it or find some you do. They'll struggle but probably survive!
First you claim they know more than any of us, but then flip flop to how could they be expected to know everything about every car & there are incompetent people in every line of work - which is it.

I’m considered an expert in my field of study, does that mean I know everything there is to know, no it doesn’t because my field, like many others, changes. However, being an expert in my field requires that I stay up-to-date on changes in my field, and if I don’t know the answer to a problem, to find the answer to the problem.

Based on the OPs experience as he recounted it here, the service personnel that he encountered either did not know the answer to the problem & provided an incorrect response that it was not covered and/or did not know the answer & refused to find the correct answer to either customer concern.

Based on that, the recommendation to find a better dealership service department was not unfounded.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Trust me on this GM has Moles all over the Forums including this one. Just post your issues here they are watching.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

First you claim they know more than any of us, but then flip flop to how could they be expected to know everything about every car & there are incompetent people in every line of work - which is it.

I’m considered an expert in my field of study, does that mean I know everything there is to know, no it doesn’t because my field, like many others, changes. However, being an expert in my field requires that I stay up-to-date on changes in my field, and if I don’t know the answer to a problem, to find the answer to the problem.

Based on the OPs experience as he recounted it here, the service personnel that he encountered either did not know the answer to the problem & provided an incorrect response that it was not covered and/or did not know the answer & refused to find the correct answer to either customer concern.

Based on that, the recommendation to find a better dealership service department was not unfounded.
I really fail to understand why people like you, who seem to have a reading comprehension problem, consider it fun to challenge anything somebody says that might have a real answer. Yes, there are people in every field who are incompetent. They seldom last long. Yes, there are thousands of different vehicle combinations in a Chevy store multiplied by multiple model years. No, there are no Service Managers with all the answers...just like you claim not to know everything but consider yourself an expert. I dare say there are a number of other fields where all that is true.

Who exactly is the Service Manager to ask why the switch is the way it is. Some engineer designed it that way and thought it logical, evidently. The OP does not. Tracking down that engineer in a place the size of GM would be a fool's errand. Calling the dealership's Service Rep would though produce quite the laugh.

Me coming into your field, where you purport to be an expert and I have never worked in it, challenging your knowledge would be very stupid on my part. Where is the difference?

Get notified of new replies

To Reporting problems to GM

Old 04-15-2020, 07:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

I really fail to understand why people like you, who seem to have a reading comprehension problem, consider it fun to challenge anything somebody says that might have a real answer. Yes, there are people in every field who are incompetent. They seldom last long. Yes, there are thousands of different vehicle combinations in a Chevy store multiplied by multiple model years. No, there are no Service Managers with all the answers...just like you claim not to know everything but consider yourself an expert. I dare say there are a number of other fields where all that is true.

Who exactly is the Service Manager to ask why the switch is the way it is. Some engineer designed it that way and thought it logical, evidently. The OP does not. Tracking down that engineer in a place the size of GM would be a fool's errand. Calling the dealership's Service Rep would though produce quite the laugh.

Me coming into your field, where you purport to be an expert and I have never worked in it, challenging your knowledge would be very stupid on my part. Where is the difference?
In my personal experience they can't even follow the directives in GM SI's and current TSB's! And that is PITIFUL!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:21 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Send them a letter.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:47 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey Jallen4 - we agree most of the time but I must disagree with you here..most dealers, non-german, are clueless. Take my mother's G80. Took in for service for a wiper blade and they changed the oil at 3,000 miles. Add to that they used the wrong oil. When I ask why they changed the oil and used the one they did - the reply was we recommend change oil at 3000 miles and always use that oil. I told them I would rather go what the manual says. they changed the oil again.

when I went to purchase the G80 and the corvette both dealers taxed before the trade was taken into count. There they are either clueless or crooks. For mine they calculated as well the tax rate wrong. Again clueless or crooks. Also, the tires on my corvette where over inflated almost by 10 lbs or PSI 0- not sure what i correct but was 40 not 30.

The dealer in the above case should at least tell the customer we will contact GM and get some type of reply...at least seem like you care.

I have had an MB and Audi - both dealers where top notch.

Quick Reply: Reporting problems to GM