Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First tracked C8

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 06:38 AM
2slow2speed
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of useful information in the video for those of us who track our cars.

Tires/brakes (stock), alignment specs (F/R), tire pressures (hot), all electronic nannies off, driver POV camera angle that includes steering input. Car driven at the limit of adhesion with different lines tells you a whole lot about the handling of the car than just the regular line lap after lap after lap.

Good summary at the end in regards to how the C8 Z51 handled the track sessions, tire wear, brakes, oil/tranny temps,. etc. (could tell that the car's tire pressures were set properly when hot given that the right rear tire had a higher (lukewarm) tire pressure than the other 3 tires given that Willow Spring is a clockwise track that has a lot of right turns that loads the left rear tire more needing more air to be bled out.

And to expand, not all cars use the same lines through every turn, a FR platform might not use the same optimal line as a RR or a MR car. On a mid engine car you can get on the gas a lot earlier than on a FR car. Also this was his first time driving the C8 at the track. I have been on track at Willow Springs, and unless you have driven the track you probably can't make out the camber and elevation changes just by watching a video.

The only critique that I would make would be to make sure to fill the tires with air to the recommended tire pressures before driving back home to prevent the shoulders from wearing down.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2slow2speed:
23/C8Z (04-10-2020), ArmchairArchitect (04-10-2020), Telepierre (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:53 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead SS
I like this kid but he needs to lose that flat billed hat. Nothing says mega douche like a flat billed hat.
He also needs to wear a Tommy Bahama shirt tucked into his cargo shorts with a belt and white Nike Air Monarchs. Then he would be hip.
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
:-) Welcome to the competition C&D! it looks like the video in thread was enough to tickle Car and Driver's attention especially when it doesn't tow their well established well compensated Porsche-centric narrative.

First of all a US Spec with stock base accessories GT3RS does not weight 3153 lbs; in fact it starts plenty in 3300 territory and then more depending on accessories .
It is well known by now the media fleet Porsche's used by C&D where stripped out cars without FMVV, without A/C, without electric motors (to include wiper motors), without infotainment, and with fuel race tanks to boot! Couple this with a switch to race tires and associated on the spot tuning before track tests and you have the ultimate car magazine queen which fails repeatedly in real settings to repeat their "magic".

I am far from drawing any definitive conclusions and a victor from the video. IMHO it simply shows the cars in stock form are much closer in reality than narrated by the number crunchers at C&D.

I humbly suggest to C&D that instead of pumping the brakes on the video they actually come up with one of their own showing in detail what they are testing instead of telling me the video is lying to my experience and I should instead believe their numbers pulled out from the twilight zone.
Wait you’re having a hard time believing that a properly driven GT3rs is faster than a properly driven C8 on that track?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:30 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,525 Likes on 2,606 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Wait you’re having a hard time believing that a properly driven GT3rs is faster than a properly driven C8 on that track?
Sarcasm, I hope.

That GT3 RS was far from well driven (OP post), at least 5-8 seconds off with those sad lines what the car could do if driven well on the proper lines. I would not sign him off to run solo being that far off the apexes. I expect somewhat consistent lines and within 12-18" of the apex to sign off students. The first video of that GT3 RS would not meet that test on virtually any one lap, much less consistently.

I have first hand experience with C&D editors racing in SCCA and it wasn't a favorable impression.
Newton06 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

It certainly sounds that way. I can’t believe anyone would be comparing these two cars in the first place..with all things being equal the Porsche will win every time.
The base C8 is a great car. However I think we will have to wait for the Z06 for that particular car to be unseated, realistically.
FWIW, the Stingray should stand up quite well against, or surpass a 911 Carrera S in performance and finish, which in and of itself is quite an accomplishment.
The following 4 users liked this post by Aozora:
911Hunter (04-14-2020), Newton06 (04-10-2020), TARANTULA (04-10-2020), TxLefty (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 01:36 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Hard time? ask C&D; they are the ones having a hard time?
GT3RS has 511 SAE HP and 335 SAE lb ft torque with a weight 3300+ pounds and race tires.
C8 Z51 has 495 SAE HP and 470 SAE lb ft torque with a weight 3600+ pounds and sporty tires.

Consider the total picture and let's ask C&D why THEY are having a hard time believing a C8 can keep up with a GT3RS?
Old 04-10-2020, 01:54 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by telepierre
hard time? Ask c&d; they are the ones having a hard time?
Gt3rs has 511 sae hp and 335 sae lb ft torque with a weight 3300+ pounds and race tires.
C8 z51 has 495 sae hp and 470 sae lb ft torque with a weight 3600+ pounds and sporty tires.

Consider the total picture and let's ask c&d why they are having a hard time believing a c8 can keep up with a gt3rs?
ok, so you do. Got it.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 04-10-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:08 PM
2slow2speed
Racer

Hard time? ask C&D; they are the ones having a hard time?
GT3RS has 511 SAE HP and 335 SAE lb ft torque with a weight 3300+ pounds and race tires.
C8 Z51 has 495 SAE HP and 470 SAE lb ft torque with a weight 3600+ pounds and sporty tires.

Consider the total picture and let's ask C&D why THEY are having a hard time believing a C8 can keep up with a GT3RS?
FYI:https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...rs-comparison/

991.2GT3RS WS (Weissach package) => 1:23.67
600LT => 1:24.29
Old 04-10-2020, 05:58 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ok, so you do. Got it.
Good and also good we can all extrapolate something different from the video so thank you again for posting it.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Anthony Chan
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

:-) Welcome to the competition C&D! it looks like the video in thread was enough to tickle Car and Driver's attention especially when it doesn't tow their well established well compensated Porsche-centric narrative.

First of all a US Spec with stock base accessories GT3RS does not weight 3153 lbs; in fact it starts plenty in 3300 territory and then more depending on accessories .
It is well known by now the media fleet Porsche's used by C&D where stripped out cars without FMVV, without A/C, without electric motors (to include wiper motors), without infotainment, and with fuel race tanks to boot! Couple this with a switch to race tires and associated on the spot tuning before track tests and you have the ultimate car magazine queen which fails repeatedly in real settings to repeat their "magic".

If you keep repeating the above enough, it might become true.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Great video. Thanks for sharing. The kid can drive. The C8 sounded great, and the shifts were impressive.
911Hunter (04-14-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:23 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony Chan
If you keep repeating the above enough, it might become true.
You are late and complaining to the messenger.
Members of the German PFF Porsche forum have had the 911 GT marketing Ring record boondoggle figured out more than two years ago. They are the reason Porsche rectified the tires portion of the record as well as clarifying the stripping done to the cars. Probably also the reason Porsche let the head marketing guy find employment somewhere else.

Enjoy the read and by all means complain to them as well if you like.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Interesting that so many here comment that the 'kid can drive'.

As an instructor I found consistent mistakes in his driving and would put his skill level at a novice - lower intermediate.

As other instructors have mentioned, the GT was all over the place; not sure what organization allowed these guys to drive solo.

Cool to see s few Type-R's (I have one in addition to my Z06) hanging with these guys in the corners. But they are at an HP disadvantage on Willow's big track.

Looked like the C8 handled the notoriously bumpy T8 better than the GT for some reason.

I enjoyed watching it though. Good to see people having clean fun on track.

Boy I hope VIR re-opens soon!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Gspeed C8 back on track with a talented wheelman...
Newton06 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Gspeed C8 back on track with a talented wheelman...
https://youtu.be/RMU7R6-eEUA
Interesting to see the rear come around @ 1:14, & @ 1:55 nice recoveries!

I probably would have put a bit more heat in the tires before pushing like that.

@ 4:06 the tires are coming up to temp & the car gets into a nice slide.

Overdrove the section at 4:39, but agreed - very nice driving!

From what I can gather, these C8's seem to be really searching for front-end grip. I hit a plateau in my C7 Z51 where I could not seem to find more mid-corner\exit speed due to lack of front-end grip.

My C7 Z06 with the wider tires has much more front-end grip.

Last edited by Newton06; 04-10-2020 at 09:40 PM.
PRE-Z06 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Interesting to see the rear come around @ 1:14, & @ 1:55 nice recoveries!

I probably would have put a bit more heat in the tires before pushing like that.

@ 4:06 the tires are coming up to temp & the car gets into a nice slide.

Overdrove the section at 4:39, but agreed - very nice driving!

From what I can gather, these C8's seem to be really searching for front-end grip. I hit a plateau in my C7 Z51 where I could not seem to find more mid-corner\exit speed due to lack of front-end grip.

My C7 Z06 with the wider tires has much more front-end grip.
So the mantra for amateurs, even experienced ones, is generally ‘smooth equals fast’. Not sure I’d call those smooth laps at all! lol
Newton06 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 11:08 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman
So the mantra for amateurs, even experienced ones, is generally ‘smooth equals fast’. Not sure I’d call those smooth laps at all! lol
Jumping in the car for the first time and trying to find the limits quickly in a car that isn’t his, I thought the throttle and steering inputs even with the slides were relatively smooth. It did say they were trying different alignment settings and not sure if this is the one they determined to be the best or not, maybe Adam or Louis will chime in as they’re members. Here’s same driver/same track in another borrowed car with the owner in passenger seat, appears to be a couple seconds faster than C8 lap time on wider stickier rubber though of course.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 04-10-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Newton06 (04-10-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To First tracked C8

Old 04-10-2020, 11:59 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Jumping in the car for the first time and trying to find the limits quickly in a car that isn’t his, I thought the throttle and steering inputs even with the slides were relatively smooth. It did say they were trying different alignment settings and not sure if this is the one they determined to be the best or not, maybe Adam or Louis will chime in as they’re members. Here’s same driver/same track in another borrowed car with the owner in passenger seat, appears to be a couple seconds faster than C8 lap time on wider stickier rubber though of course.
https://youtu.be/yhqGJPhRD8k
Man that GT is nice.

That catch at 1:42 was great.

<whew>

What track were these at? Lots of runoff. My spins at VIR sometimes result in an expensive encounter with Mr. Tirewall.

Last edited by Newton06; 04-11-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:57 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Man that GT is nice.

That catch at 1:42 was great.

<whew>

What track were these at? Lots of runoff. My spins at VIR sometimes result in an expensive encounter with Mr. Tirewall.

Ouch, that’s what I like about the tracks in Texas. Fortunately I’ve never put more than 2 off, this was Motorsports Ranch Cresson which is a local one to DFW.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:50 AM
2slow2speed
Racer

Interesting that so many here comment that the 'kid can drive'.

As an instructor I found consistent mistakes in his driving and would put his skill level at a novice - lower intermediate.

As other instructors have mentioned, the GT was all over the place; not sure what organization allowed these guys to drive solo.

Cool to see s few Type-R's (I have one in addition to my Z06) hanging with these guys in the corners. But they are at an HP disadvantage on Willow's big track.

Looked like the C8 handled the notoriously bumpy T8 better than the GT for some reason.

I enjoyed watching it though. Good to see people having clean fun on track.

Boy I hope VIR re-opens soon!
DE instructors are focused so much on a single line (the classic line) 100% of the time and assume that anyone who takes a different line doesn't know how to drive a car on track.

The video author is definitely not an beginner or intermediate driver, someone who has car control skills that can place a car anywhere on track safely without been a moving chicane for the other cars behind is not a beginner, he is not dive bombing anyone in the turns, nor applying any undue pressure.

There are lots of younger folks who have karting experience that can drive circles around people who do DE's (instructors included). People who have done wheel 2 wheel know that you need to be able to take corners with different lines sometimes to present yourself in the side mirrors for the cars that are in front of you or to have a better exit speed or different exit line to do a pass further down... BTW: The Type-R as well as the white BMW in particular were moving chicanes, completely oblivious about the cars behind (GT3RS/C8) been faster.

Here is the same video author driving his GT500 at Willow Springs not pushing the car as much but still demonstrating car control skills.

Quick Reply: First tracked C8