Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 vs C7 in real life races

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:11 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Every new design is not better in every metric, and that's ok, it's a balance. You want awesome 0-60? Well, you might up something else. You want the best top speed? Well, you might give up something else.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 06-27-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 AM
bzabodyn
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Best 60-130 (based on in-car timer - not sure if everyone knows but you can change the “to” and “from” MPH’s go anything you want) in my non-Z51 was 9.7 so far bone stock but only did a few pulls on the same day.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
They are in reality quite envious. The C8 Corvette is a game changer and the current Stingray is only the beginning. Unfortunately this car is causing the weaker minds to burst forth with jealous ignorance and in some cases a high level of denial. It is quite comical to observe all this.
Exactly.

We only have the C8 to bank on and everyone is quick to put it down saying it's slow, it's ugly. The C7 has unloaded everything it could offer. It's done, it's over, that's the past.

People are really harping on the whole top speed thing. Who does top speed anymore? I don't. Never even attempted to do a stop speed in my Z and i know it can get there quick.

People use the 60-130 argument because that's all they have. Because they know the higher hp car will win in a race like that.

But let them have their fun now. It is comical knowing they're picking on a base car lol. That is only the beginning. The rest of the lineup is going to hurt so many feelings.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:19 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,773 Likes on 3,184 Posts

Automotive press performance test results are "actual data" whether you want to hear their metrics or not. The case you have been attempting to make is based on your denial which compels you to cherry pick data from the Joe Blows of the world who can post any crap they want supposedly generated from their little $100 whiz bang boxes. C7 fist pounders like you can then find the numbers that mitigate their envy. The C8 Stingray is the fastest base model Corvette to date whether you like it or not. Deal with it.
you on a list for a C8 Z06? I am. I'm number 42 on Mike Furmans. If that car warrants the purchase I will make it. I pick apart whatever I plan on one day purchasing.

The only envy around these parts will be once the C8 Z06 is available all the early adopters who paid 10 15 25k over msrp for a base car getting 50k for it on trade in 2yrs.

The base C8 is not attractive to my eye. It's quick to 60 and hangs on for dear life with gearing and a DCT through the quarter mile. But don't mistake that as my only observations. I have said all along the interior is fantastic. The button wall being the only dislike in my book.

Having said that. The fact that they are still struggling with this?

Is sorry. And the fascia popping up from the fender although when first brought up it was "only on the preproduction" yet it's not.. and happening to reg production cars.

As for the clown trusting in Tremec because for some reason they are now flawless (that's funny). Maybe this will help understand the numerous DCT failures reported so far for so few cars out there.

Just visit the problem section now and then. They should've broken it down by category. Because there are no less than 8 DCT failures in there. Say the forum represents 10% of the C8s that equates to around 3% failure rate.. and it's probably higher than that. Something I'm SURE Tremec will have fixed for units not produced thus far.

And while we're at it? If you don't want to watch the full video of this. Skip to around 12 minute mark and listen. The base trans clutches appear maxed out around 100 wheel over stock. That can't be blamed on Chevy. Why should they build a trans to exceed that limit? But be prepared to spend about 20k for that upgrade.

I'm excited to see what they do with the C8Z. But the C7s are more than "ok" to enjoy while the bugs are worked out and the C8 gets better and better underneath.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-27-2020 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rock0720 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:28 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Exactly.

We only have the C8 to bank on and everyone is quick to put it down saying it's slow, it's ugly. The C7 has unloaded everything it could offer. It's done, it's over, that's the past.

People are really harping on the whole top speed thing. Who does top speed anymore? I don't. Never even attempted to do a stop speed in my Z and i know it can get there quick.

People use the 60-130 argument because that's all they have. Because they know the higher hp car will win in a race like that.

But let them have their fun now. It is comical knowing they're picking on a base car lol. That is only the beginning. The rest of the lineup is going to hurt so many feelings.
This is not all true though I believe you make some good points. The C7 is old, it's old news and it's shot it's wad. It's only going to get faster in stories told by prior owners.

The 60-130 metric is a very important one as that is what most roll races amount to. You may get some 40-100 but a lot is judged on highway speeds as that is where most encounters happen.

The most power is not always the winner in those instances. It's power delivery, weight of the vehicles, and gearing. Gearing is the part most people skip over. Let's review a slightly different metric as it showcases the cars ability to come off the line and hit a speed. 0-150. The C7 Z06 trumps both the C6 Z06 and the C6 ZR1 in the 1/4 mile. The C7 also has more hp and tq than the others. It loses to 150 from a stop. Why? Weight. Aero. And the A8 gearing though the M7 still falls back. It's the same reason the Gen IV Viper hits 150 at almost the same time as the Gen V. The Gen V has more power and torque and is lighter but the gearing isn't ideal as it needs 5th to hit 150 mph.

Everything is built with some sort of compromise. My opinion is GM went for world class 0-60, and they did well. By the use of the transmission they chose, engine placement, and gearing they hit the mark exceptionally well. What that might do is leave other areas to either come up short or just be what I call normal expected performance. It's 60-130 times are quick, no question, but it's relative to the company it keeps. Of course C7 guys are going to point that out if their car beats the C8 in a certain metric. That's not the end all be all but if they want to hang their hag on that aspect so be it. I don't buy cars for only one metric of performance. I buy it for one metric that is my happiness.

The C8 will prove to be a step up in overall performance over the C7. If it loses one metric it doesn't mean the C8 is bad or a failure, it just means it probably wins out others by a vast margin because of what it gave up in that one instance.

Looks are subjective so I won't go into that but the C8 is not slow but nor would I say it's fast. Its a quick car and a very quick car at that, especially for the power it makes. It's an 1/8 mile heartbreaker to me. It's going beat on a LOT of cars in the 1/8th that can catch up after half track in the 1/4. It puts the power down very well.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 06-27-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
I agree with you the car is falling in its face after 60 mph. The 60-130 time is horrible that’s why I’m waiting to see how the non-Z51 will do

here is the C&D test (60-130 in 10.3 sec)

The new Carrera S 60-130 in 9.3 sec

Looks like its after 100 mph where it slows down. 60-100 is still comparable but 100-130:

911S - 5.2 seconds
C8: 6.0 seconds

In any real life race situation just tap on the breaks and say you won once you hit somewhere between 60 and 100 mph.

Last edited by Achmed; 06-27-2020 at 05:41 PM.
larryfdx (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 05:53 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
you on a list for a C8 Z06? I am. I'm number 42 on Mike Furmans. If that car warrants the purchase I will make it. I pick apart whatever I plan on one day purchasing.

The only envy around these parts will be once the C8 Z06 is available all the early adopters who paid 10 15 25k over msrp for a base car getting 50k for it on trade in 2yrs.

The base C8 is not attractive to my eye. It's quick to 60 and hangs on for dear life with gearing and a DCT through the quarter mile. But don't mistake that as my only observations. I have said all along the interior is fantastic. The button wall being the only dislike in my book.

Having said that. The fact that they are still struggling with this?

Is sorry. And the fascia popping up from the fender although when first brought up it was "only on the preproduction" yet it's not.. and happening to reg production cars.

As for the clown trusting in Tremec because for some reason they are now flawless (that's funny). Maybe this will help understand the numerous DCT failures reported so far for so few cars out there.

Just visit the problem section now and then. They should've broken it down by category. Because there are no less than 8 DCT failures in there. Say the forum represents 10% of the C8s that equates to around 3% failure rate.. and it's probably higher than that. Something I'm SURE Tremec will have fixed for units not produced thus far.

And while we're at it? If you don't want to watch the full video of this. Skip to around 12 minute mark and listen. The base trans clutches appear maxed out around 100 wheel over stock. That can't be blamed on Chevy. Why should they build a trans to exceed that limit? But be prepared to spend about 20k for that upgrade.
https://youtu.be/UhshAR8ZPWY

I'm excited to see what they do with the C8Z. But the C7s are more than "ok" to enjoy while the bugs are worked out and the C8 gets better and better underneath.
LOL!
You are a classic example of OCD. You will never be satisfied with anything.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

LOL!
Nothing wrong with having high standards. If people like paying for crap that is another choice.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by sprayer
Nothing wrong with having high standards. If people like paying for crap that is another choice.
Oh, OK, So according to you the C8 is "crap". Another of your idiotic posts.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Oh, OK, So according to you the C8 is "crap". Another of your idiotic posts.
And also lol @ high standards.

Getting a high performance car that's fast as **** but has a shitty auto that overheats LOL
Old 06-27-2020, 06:30 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

You haters sure got your feathers ruffled over the C8. Absolutely hilarious.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

LOL!
I wouldn't be satisfied with that kind of crap. That should never get through QC. The car isn't crap but that is something that you don't see on even a KIA.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:08 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

You haters sure got your feathers ruffled over the C8. Absolutely hilarious.
The more I read into your posts it seems you are the one that is ruffled. People not liking a car that you are spending money on and you feel attacked. Maybe you are questioning the car yourself and hearing these things makes you even more insecure.

I would not buy this car for 20k with the amount of issues it has had till date. Don't expect any sympathy once you start posting up that your car has issues. You have had enough warning on this forum from various posters.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:43 AM
Jonathonmp
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
Relax Jonathon... the more hp than tq was in reference to the C8 on that dyno MAKING MORE TORQUE THAN HP. It doesn't.

And don't worry there are plenty who believe they understand my profession just like yours. But in this case.. facts are facts. Instead of throwing around insults accusations or disgust. Here are just 3 separate dyno results for the C8 from 3 seperate shops. On 3 seperate dynos.

I dont see any with higher tq than hp. But maybe that's just me.

Have a nice weekend. Maybe spend less time around the forum if it gets you that worked up.
understand the reason for you comment however at a quick glance I didn't see anything that said what has or has not been changed. One must always leave the possibility open to either public or privately people change crank configuration, piston travel, piston size and some others but those are the biggest reasons in my eyes. So unless it's said or official they could have done a complete rebuild and changed the crank pistons and so on.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:04 AM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

The more I read into your posts it seems you are the one that is ruffled. People not liking a car that you are spending money on and you feel attacked. Maybe you are questioning the car yourself and hearing these things makes you even more insecure.

I would not buy this car for 20k with the amount of issues it has had till date. Don't expect any sympathy once you start posting up that your car has issues. You have had enough warning on this forum from various posters.
Really....what about starting threads in order to instigate drama and when nothing materializes ghosting it. Your one of the biggest hypocrites in this forum. Why are you even here exactly?
Z0HS1CK (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97 SC Cobra
Really....what about starting threads in order to instigate drama and when nothing materializes ghosting it. Your one of the biggest hypocrites in this forum. Why are you even here exactly?
Just like 2 or 3 others, who have no intent on getting a C8 it seems. They just find threads where the C8 is praised a bit, then they wanna shoot it down like they can engineer the car better LOL

Insecurity is a sad thing to witness. And even moreso when you can actually see it through words on a car forum haha
97 SC Cobra (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:11 AM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

Agreed...all this I’m waiting for the Z-Version but in the mean time I’m going to shred the base model every chance I get. How far off from what you see do you think it’s going to be??
Z0HS1CK (06-28-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 vs C7 in real life races

Old 06-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97 SC Cobra
Agreed...all this I’m waiting for the Z-Version but in the mean time I’m going to shred the base model every chance I get. How far off from what you see do you think it’s going to be??
You should see the C7Z section.

They were laughing their *** off because the C7Z can freight train a C8 on the top end. They're saying it's slow, inadequate, GM should have done better.

Like really?

A BASE *** car that can run 11.1 @ 122 vs the C7Z 10.95 @ 127 and the C8 is slow?

Then they keep cracking jokes about the C8 losing to a hellcat, losing to a GT500. All off a roll.

Umm yeah 495 vs 707 or 760hp on a roll, of course the higher hp cars will win.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:30 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

The reason why scores of people are waiting in line to get a C8 is because it has so many "issues"and is "crap". Absolutely brilliant revelation.
I don't think you have much to worry about. No one will be forcing you to buy a C8 for "20k". Another of your amazingly foolish posts.

Keep your day job Dude as you will never find your calling as an automotive journalist. Stick to trolling and C8 hate, You have well demonstrated experience in that arena here on this forum as most will agree.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
You should see the C7Z section.

They were laughing their *** off because the C7Z can freight train a C8 on the top end. They're saying it's slow, inadequate, GM should have done better.

Like really?

A BASE *** car that can run 11.1 @ 122 vs the C7Z 10.95 @ 127 and the C8 is slow?

Then they keep cracking jokes about the C8 losing to a hellcat, losing to a GT500. All off a roll.

Umm yeah 495 vs 707 or 760hp on a roll, of course the higher hp cars will win.
Yeah, hard to believe some of this jealous blather. It does make for some great entertainment. Do these juvenile fist pounders think that their relentless smack talk is going to convince potential C8 buyers to rethink their automotive purchase plans. Do they believe that their C8 hate will create a 2nd wave of C7 buyers that will stabilize C7 market values?
2.8 and 11 are weak metrics for a base C8? That is so stupid it really does not merrit any kind of a logical response. It will be most interesting to observe their denial and inane rationalizations when the Z06 takes center stage as that will be their worst nightmare.

Quick Reply: C8 vs C7 in real life races