Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette vs 992 Carrera S (lap test)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
These cars have always been close rivals. I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised by these results. The power is close (especially considering altitude). The Porsche has better brakes and rubber. It won by .3 as tested. Good for the Porsche. But anyone that's being honest knows exactly what those brakes and tires bring to the table, so Porsche should be very worried about what a Grand Sport C8 will do at it's likely price point. But as tested the Porsche got this one.
No Porsche didnt get anything. The magazines still dont have access to production vehicles and neither pilgrim or pobst has ever driven one. The brake problem has been fixed.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:06 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I see you are at your old games again by trying to raise the Corvette by stepping on 911’s with your delusions and propaganda! Give it a break from time to time! I have owned both...I think I am well qualified to give my opinion. Couldn’t care less what your thoughts may be.
Based on your continuous ranting from your other end, you're more qualified to sell bags of oranges by the freeway! Quite pathetic as usual! Your act has run thin on here! Again go get a life you troll and come to the grip the C8 has surpassed the 911 as a whole and this is just the Stingray! Again, in these difficult times, I am not going to waste my energy on some irrelevant troll but I'll chime in every now and then just to keep you in check!
The following 4 users liked this post by DaveFerrari458:
CorvettoBrando (03-23-2020), punky (03-23-2020), skank (03-23-2020), Telepierre (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 01:18 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by New car dude
No Porsche didnt get anything. The magazines still dont have access to production vehicles and neither pilgrim or pobst has ever driven one. The brake problem has been fixed.
They have the cars that GM gave them. IF GM thought the car where not ready why release them for testing?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
They have the cars that GM gave them. IF GM thought the car where not ready why release them for testing?
Exactly. They were tested as provided. Considering the differences in setup (tires,brakes) the C8 certainly has nothing to apologize for. The Porsche had the better combination of equipment, is a great chassis and scored the better lap time. Simple as that.

Last edited by 99C5JA1; 03-23-2020 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
larryfdx (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Based on your continuous ranting from your other end, you're more qualified to sell bags of oranges by the freeway! Quite pathetic as usual! Your act has run thin on here! Again go get a life you troll and come to the grip the C8 has surpassed the 911 as a whole and this is just the Stingray! Again, in these difficult times, I am not going to waste my energy on some irrelevant troll but I'll chime in every now and then just to keep you in check!
Sorry my friend, but you are keeping nothing in check. The C8 excelled in price as it always has....nothing new in GM’s recipe. If buying the best performance for the buck is your objective then the C8 has no peers. However, for those willing to be less dominated by the dollar have many great choices that play above the C8. I have owned a C7 and it was a great car. But...my current 911 is superior in many ways that are important to me. I have yet to have to further sound proof my 911 just to make it bearable over some road surfaces.....nor does it want to hop off my driveway during sharp turns. I am sure the C8 is better in some ways than the C7, but make no mistake, it still has a ways to go to reach Porsche quality. So my friend, buy the C8 and be happy that you saved a few bucks👍
Z-OH-6 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:37 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Sorry my friend, but you are keeping nothing in check. The C8 excelled in price as it always has....nothing new in GM’s recipe. If buying the best performance for the buck is your objective then the C8 has no peers. However, for those willing to be less dominated by the dollar have many great choices that play above the C8. I have owned a C7 and it was a great car. But...my current 911 is superior in many ways that are important to me. I have yet to have to further sound proof my 911 just to make it bearable over some road surfaces.....nor does it want to hop off my driveway during sharp turns. I am sure the C8 is better in some ways than the C7, but make no mistake, it still has a ways to go to reach Porsche quality. So my friend, buy the C8 and be happy that you saved a few bucks👍
Really not difficult to see why you are obviously disliked on this forum and described as a "Troll" by quite a number of members. Think about this.
Your redundant posts about Corvettes being "cheap" and generally undesirable are extremely irritating and display some serious issues with your make up. No one needs to hear any more of your BS about Corvettes being cheaper than your pick up truck and how guys here buy Corvettes because they can't afford 911s, of course in your case it is a used 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
Lavender (03-26-2020), Telepierre (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Really not difficult to see why you are obviously disliked on this forum and described as a "Troll" by quite a number of members. Think about this.
Your redundant posts about Corvettes being "cheap" and generally undesirable are extremely irritating and display some serious issues with your make up. No one needs to hear any more of your BS about Corvettes being cheaper than your pick up truck and how guys here buy Corvettes because they can't afford 911s, of course in your case it is a used 911.
In your world, a troll is anyone who doesn’t think as you do....so for that I am honored, as are the majority on this forum. As to Corvettes, I like them, but not to the extent I am blind to other cars. If you choose to be a loyalist follower then that’s fine with me. And yes.....I could have bought a new C8 for much less than my used 911.....but then again, I wasn’t looking for the cheaper car....but rather the better car. Now that the C8’s and new 992’s are out I will make a decision. Neither a new 992 C2S or loaded Corvette is expensive, so I don’t know why cost is your hang up. Buy what you feel is the best, because that’s what I and others will do!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:09 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

The great thing about Porsche vs. Corvette online debates is that it REALLY separates the real car enthusiasts from the fan boys. I have yet to meet anybody who has ACTUALLY driven both these cars on a closed course who didn't have a lot of respect and admiration for both brands. Also, the reason Porsche GT cars, while limited, hold their values fairly well is that they ARE simply that good.

Sadly, the fan boys will NEVER be convinced of anything unless it agrees with their opinions and most will never experience the thrills that can be experienced regardless of the hood badge.
The following 4 users liked this post by KM1959:
Les (03-23-2020), michael510 (03-23-2020), TARANTULA (03-23-2020), ZoratZ06 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:12 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Toyota also provided prepro cars that differed from production vehicles during the launch of the Supra. Aston Martin allowed track test of their Valkyrie with the implied notice that its simply not the finished product. GM never said this car is the final product. Porsche provided two VASTLY different 918s for motortrends test of the vehicle BEFORE THE WEISSACH PACKAGE. Porsche has been suspect on Nurburgring times with RINGER tires on more than one occassion.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:17 PM
michael510
Pro

Received 598 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
The great thing about Porsche vs. Corvette online debates is that it REALLY separates the real car enthusiasts from the fan boys. I have yet to meet anybody who has ACTUALLY driven both these cars on a closed course who didn't have a lot of respect and admiration for both brands. Also, the reason Porsche GT cars, while limited, hold their values fairly well is that they ARE simply that good.

Sadly, the fan boys will NEVER be convinced of anything unless it agrees with their opinions and most will never experience the thrills that can be experienced regardless of the hood badge.
Well said !
KM1959 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

This ^^^ Well said.
KM1959 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Finally the voice of reason! Your statement would reflect the feelings of the forum majority......but it’s the forum minority that keeps us all coming back
KM1959 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:21 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Nope, not this time around. Porsche GT cars held value because nobody produced anything like them. That game is over with the C8 series. GM has committed to producing a GT track based equivalent, and it might not be RS pure track focused but its benchmarked against a GT2RS.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by New car dude
Nope, not this time around. Porsche GT cars held value because nobody produced anything like them. That game is over with the C8 series. GM has committed to producing a GT track based equivalent, and it might not be RS pure track focused but its benchmarked against a GT2RS.
Google supply and demand when you have a little time. 40,000 of anything kills its value. I guess that’s why gold is worth more than water. Go figure!

The C8 is benchmarked against the 911 as was the C7. But the C8 was developed around golf clubs and the GT cars were developed around the race track.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-23-2020 at 04:36 PM.
michael510 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Koe****seg "AVERAGE" dude has deliberated.
Dad...during my last semester I took four classes; failed two, withdrew from one, and pulled a B on one.
My AVERAGE is C+!

Peace bro!
Wow somebody's feelings got hurt, lol. Hope you feel better soon. Still waiting for you to prove what I said was fake. Next time don't make stupid comments that are completely false and you wont look like a complete fool.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 03-23-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:47 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Wow somebody's feelings got hurt, lol. Hope you feel better soon. Still waiting for you to prove what I said was fake. Next time don't make stupid comments that are completely false and you wont look like a complete fool.
LMFAO! Telepierre is great entertainment....just can’t take him too seriously!
Old 03-23-2020, 05:57 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Been checking the water cooled 911 section on the P board since we bought a Cayenne. A base 991.2 with a Cobb or similar ecm tune thru the OBD port picks up like 100 HP and TQ for 12-15 hundred bucks. That is getting you in the realm of 911 Turbo power(I think) and gotta be a fun piece to drive.
I know that many guys tune turbos for more power, but I would never do it. Obviously there's the warranty issue, but I'm also concerned about ruining the balance of the car. Porsche spends a great deal of money to get the suspension, braking, and engine HP to be in harmony to produce the optimum driving experience. Adding another 100 HP would destroy that balance.
Z-OH-6 (03-23-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette vs 992 Carrera S (lap test)

Old 03-23-2020, 06:07 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sly1
I know that many guys tune turbos for more power, but I would never do it. Obviously there's the warranty issue, but I'm also concerned about ruining the balance of the car. Porsche spends a great deal of money to get the suspension, braking, and engine HP to be in harmony to produce the optimum driving experience. Adding another 100 HP would destroy that balance.
I don't think you can make that 'blanket' statement...If so, then GM is in trouble...cause last I checked the Z06 was basically a GS with 150hp more and the balance seems fine. Just saying...The 911TTS is a 911GTS with more power. Sure there are minor differences...but mostly the same, esp. the GS and Z06 comparison. That's not to say that manufacturer's don't know what they are doing...they absolutely do...but let's be honest, they leave a good amount of 'room' in their cars to make sure they last...

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 03-23-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:12 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I don't think you can make that 'blanket' statement...If so, then GM is in trouble...cause last I checked the Z06 was basically a GS with 150hp more and the balance seems fine. Just saying...The 911TTS is a 911GTS with more power. Sure there are minor differences...but mostly the same, esp. the GS and Z06 comparison. That's not to say that manufacturer's don't know what they are doing...they absolutely do...but let's be honest, they leave a good amount of 'room' in their cars to make sure they last...
I can't make the comparison, but isn't often stated the Grandsport is far more planted than the Z06? I know Randy Pobst has stated that the Z06 seems to almost always be biting at you when at the edge whereas the Grandsport seems to have never ending grip. In other words the Z06's power puts it too close to the limit and might be a tad much for the chassis.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:23 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonVette
I can't make the comparison, but isn't often stated the Grandsport is far more planted than the Z06? I know Randy Pobst has stated that the Z06 seems to almost always be biting at you when at the edge whereas the Grandsport seems to have never ending grip. In other words the Z06's power puts it too close to the limit and might be a tad much for the chassis.
I've read the same things and obviously there has to be some truth to this...but if 650hp was too much, then what is 755hp in the ZR1? Not enough for GM to 'not' produce it. Owning a ZR1, personally I think it's overkill and I would completely agree the C7 chassis is maxed out. The ZR1 is fun, but it can also be flat out dangerous. Having said that, I highly doubt a base 911 or base C8 chassis is maxed out...Hence the GT3/GT2RS, TTS...the upcoming C8Z06 etc...I think anyone can over power a chassis with too much power...but the question is whether or not it's 50hp or 100hp or 200hp that hits that limit. Power is so much more controllable in the ME layout...Cheers!

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette vs 992 Carrera S (lap test)