Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 tuned exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 12:41 PM
dinows33
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 116 Posts

Default C8 tuned exhaust

Just curious, is the optional C8 tuned exhaust the same as the C7 optional exhaust which I presently have where you can open and close the baffles. Thanks
Old 12-16-2019, 12:54 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Yes... the system appears very similar and appears to have the same electronic valves. The exhaust will adjust by drive mode or you can make it loud all the time.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (04-19-2021)
Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 PM
murf2222
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I sure hope this all means that the cars NOT optioned with NPP will still have the ability to alter the exhaust sound too. I've been bummed-out the last several days, thinking I'd made a huge mistake over all this. I didn't opt for NPP, as I thought I'd read somewhere before ordering 6 months ago that the user-selectable exhaust sound was part of the car, regardless of whether you paid the $1,100 for the "Performance" exhaust (NPP)........but over the weekend was in doubt based on what I was reading.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:09 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Murf,
if it’s like my C7 I didn’t get NPP. It was way to quiet for me. There wasn’t any switch to make the non NPP any louder. It sounded like an impala.
I went after market and was ok. Being your not getting NPP I believe your C8 will be on the quiet side. I mean really quiet.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM
murf2222
Intermediate

Thx - Bummer......oddly though, the Corvette Concierge dept contacted me and said that even the NON NPP cars will in fact have the ability to adjust the sound. I asked them to double check their resources, because if true, that would mean the non NPP cars would also be equipped with the butterfly valves downstream in the exhaust to facilitate this........Which seems doubtful. They got back to me, saying not to worry as it WILL be able to still user-select the sound, so guess I won't know for sure til the car arrives.

If anyone has received their car and DIDN'T order the "performance exhaust" option (NPP), hopefully they can chime-in here
Old 03-17-2020, 02:24 PM
dinows33
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 116 Posts

What i have been told is it is an option and my dealer recommended it for a better re sale
Old 03-17-2020, 03:23 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by murf2222
I sure hope this all means that the cars NOT optioned with NPP will still have the ability to alter the exhaust sound too. I've been bummed-out the last several days, thinking I'd made a huge mistake over all this. I didn't opt for NPP, as I thought I'd read somewhere before ordering 6 months ago that the user-selectable exhaust sound was part of the car, regardless of whether you paid the $1,100 for the "Performance" exhaust (NPP)........but over the weekend was in doubt based on what I was reading.
nope.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:26 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,354 Likes on 483 Posts

No NPP option, no exhaust tuning

too late to update your order?

Last edited by CitznFish; 03-17-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:33 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by C8Jake:
CorvetteBrent (04-19-2021), DJGold (03-18-2020), johnodrake (03-18-2020), XP882 (06-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 03:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

There is nothing in the Mode select system that has anything to do with the exhaust unless you have the $1195 NPP Option. Below pics show what NPP does. You have all 4 exhaust pipes just coming directly out from the muffler:

All C8s, like all C7s, have a pair of valves in the pipes BEFORE the muffler that activate in V4 mode. Has little to do with changing sound other than the restriction, designed to increase gas flow for efficiency, also helps the car "not sound" like one missing on 4 cylinders! But when it switches back to V8 mode, your sound will not change.

Those of us with NPP will have a quieter sound (like yours) up to various rpm that changes with drive mode. Expect it will be similar to the C7, if driving in Track (or with NPP set to Track regardless of drive mode) it goes "loud" at ~1700 rpm, higher rpm in Sport and ~2500 rpm in Touring.

The aftermarket will have mufflers that make more noise! From my observation, some may be better than NPP. However those usually cost more and you'll have to pay for installation. My friends Borla system on hiis C6 sounded better than my C6 with NPP at idle and low speed cruising. It wasn't too loud on the highway where mine went to "quite mode." I put a toggle switch in my C6 system and on the highway had to switch to "quite mode" or I had an objectional drone! His did not have that issue.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2020 at 04:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
CorvetteBrent (04-19-2021), Old-Timer (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 04:15 PM
tom sheahan
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts

Are those Corsa tips on your car or did you put a full Corsa system on your C7
Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 AM
murf2222
Intermediate

I've had TWO separate Corvette Concierge reps tell me the C8 (unlike the previous generations) will have the adjustable sound modes on cars without NPP........I'm wanting to bury my head in the sand and pretend they are correct.....even though my gut tells me you guys are correct.

Unfortunately my status is at 3000 with a TPW of THIS week - (3/16).
DJGold (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

I've had TWO separate Corvette Concierge reps tell me the C8 (unlike the previous generations) will have the adjustable sound modes on cars without NPP........I'm wanting to bury my head in the sand and pretend they are correct.....even though my gut tells me you guys are correct.

Maybe the adjustable sound mode they are speaking of, is that of the exhaust's sound level, pumped into passenger cabin via the rear center speaker...
Old 03-18-2020, 11:25 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Anyone seen a non npp car, to see if the wiring to add it later is there? There will be used npp mufflers for sale in the future. Look how many took the best ever TI off the C5.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,193 Likes on 3,399 Posts

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel
Anyone seen a non npp car, to see if the wiring to add it later is there? There will be used npp mufflers for sale in the future. Look how many took the best ever TI off the C5.
There was a thread in the C7 section where someone tried to put NPP on a non-NPP car - it's not practical. It's more than the wiring not being there - it needs to be explained to the computer.
I suspect there will be aftermarket bi-modal exhaust systems but they won't be integrated into the car. A separate remote or switch probably.
Some people will be replacing their stock NPP system with an aftermarket system. You may be able to pick up a used system cheap and kluge together some type of control.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 03-18-2020 at 02:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
CorvetteBrent (04-19-2021), JerryU (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Nope....but maybe they were referring to Z51's which have it as part of that package..
Old 04-19-2021, 01:11 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel
There's good reason for so many people to jettison the C5's TI exhaust. It was way too quiet, barely louder than the base model stock exhaust. The first thing I did when I bought my 2000 supercharged C5 was to remove the TI exhaust added by a previous owner and replace it with Borla exhaust. I sold the TI for a cheap price to another local C5 owner whose wife insisted that he replace his aftermarket exhaust with a quiet exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 tuned exhaust

Old 04-19-2021, 06:30 AM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Maybe the adjustable sound mode they are speaking of, is that of the exhaust's sound level, pumped into passenger cabin via the rear center speaker...
Where did you hear the sound is pumped into the center speaker?
The consensus seems to be the exhaust sound in the cabin is too quiet in coupes due to the thick rear window. If it was just pumped into the center speaker it wouldn’t be a problem.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:32 AM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I’m learning that what Corvette Concierge says should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
Where did you hear the sound is pumped into the center speaker?
The consensus seems to be the exhaust sound in the cabin is too quiet in coupes due to the thick rear window. If it was just pumped into the center speaker it wouldn’t be a problem.
What Tadge Juechter said in the 1 hour Autoline After Hours interview was:
1) they worked hard to get the cabin sound quiet using for example of the 9 mm thick glass between the passenger compartment and engine. Said they learned that when they checked a Ferrari.
2) they added extra noise insulation as the noisy engine parts are in front of the engine, near your ear.
3) he said that reduced "good noise" like Intake and Exhaust.
4) they routed the intake noise closer to your ear as the side glass is much thinner.
4) the exhaust is also less of a quality sound than FE Vettes since the pipes are short and only a pair of CATs are used not 4 smaller ones.

This is a pic I took of where the intake air comes from, when I installed my c8 aFe oiled cotton air filter. Tadge said was in the upper 1/3 of the side vent. Helped but not as much "sucking sound" as the aFe oiled cotton intake on my C7s. Somewhat more but like he exhaust, unless you have a window open the C8 is quiet! Quietest Vette of the 6 I have owned.

Engine air comes from duct in side air intake, high in the area. Tadge said that was purposely done to provide more of the "good intake sound."

Last edited by JerryU; 04-19-2021 at 08:17 AM.
MarioC8 (04-19-2021)

Quick Reply: C8 tuned exhaust