Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side monstrosity. What purpose does it serve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 12:23 PM
the lark
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 306 Posts

Come on. The corvette intake is very conservative compared to some super cars. I love the intake. I wish it was bigger. You know it’s going to be bigger on the z06.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Whatever you don't like about the styling of the C8 is not going to get fixed by the higher performance versions,
Originally Posted by Buddhaman
I’m sure the GS or higher performance models will end up with a few tweaks to stand out but I don’t think much will happen with the duct (clear taillights, spoiler, and wider hips are pretty much all the C7 got).
No hope in this regard to get that off? C8.R is not that bad actually.

Originally Posted by OnPoint
What's the source for the bolded part of your statement?
He is employed by GM I think. He goes from topic to topic and writes as if Corvette is a gift to God's green earth and GM inveted a spacecraft. He might be a bot also.

Last edited by MaryAnnB; 12-01-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:30 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

My Schindler's List must have shut the abusers down. Only one borderline since the last count.

Admin, I am merging posts as instructed, but content of some are too different to merge. Like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM
klavrack
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by john91498
She doesn't seem to be an American. Writes and talks differently, is thinned skinned, easily offended if you don't agree with her. Don't know, some people are just closed minded...
From my observation, that applies to nearly everyone on this forum, including myself.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,354 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by klavrack
From my observation, that applies to nearly everyone on this forum, including myself.
I demand an immediate apology or you will find yourself on my IL list!

Last edited by CitznFish; 12-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:52 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

I have to agree that the vent would look so much better had they avoided it going all the way up and onto the door as far as it does but I also can cut them some slack in that there could be some reason it ended up the way it did.

If the final design was done purely from an aesthetic point of view it is a clear miss no matter how much you love Corvette's. If it is a compromise in appearance for the sake of performance or functionality of the car then it can be excused..... It would be interesting to know which one of these is the real reason.
Shaka (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:53 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by New car dude
The scoops are functional as well as wind tunnel tested to a degree and standard that far exceeds other manufacturers.
Originally Posted by OnPoint
What's the source for the bolded part of your statement?

Well?

Shaka (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I see where MaryAnnB is coming from. I like the scoop but not the way it comes through the door so far and if it were body color I would like it better. Actually, for me, I would like the scoop not to have anything tacked on (black piece).

That being said they were trying to go and press certain limits. This over exaggerated scoop is a perfect example of it.

If I were to get the car I would get them painted body color or buy a black car. But, no manual = no buy anyway

There will always be parts of cars we don't like. What's not fair about this place is that if someone says anything negative they are labeled a troll or ridiculed and to many GM can do no wrong. As easy as it is for you to tell people to go away or to buy something else it's even easier to not respond. Let's all take our own advice.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 12-01-2019 at 01:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLS_Addict:
MaryAnnB (12-01-2019), VetterFlyer (12-01-2019), Wass (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:26 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,354 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I see where MaryAnnB is coming from. I like the scoop but not the way it comes through the door so far and if it were body color I would like it better. Actually, for me, I would like the scoop not to have anything tacked on (black piece).

That being said they were trying to go and press certain limits. This over exaggerated scoop is a perfect example of it.

If I were to get the car I would get them painted body color or buy a black car. But, no manual = no buy anyway

There will always be parts of cars we don't like. What's not fair about this place is that if someone says anything negative they are labeled a troll or ridiculed and to many GM can do no wrong. As easy as it is for you to tell people to go away or to buy something else it's even easier to not respond. Let's all take our own advice.
Its the people incessantly posting negative threads that are labelled trolls. Deservedly so IMO. If you don't like the C8, say so..once. No need to make multiple threads bashing a car in the same forum for those of us who are actually buying one. It serves no purpose except to troll. That MaryAnnBeast and C2C3C4Ç6 clowns being good examples of trolls.
The following 3 users liked this post by CitznFish:
jcapps (12-01-2019), jimmyb (12-01-2019), JockItch (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:57 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

C8 trolls. What purpose do they serve?
Old 12-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by MaryAnnB
I am not understanding the point of that monstrosity in the middle of the car. What visual purpose does it serve there?

How to configure this in body color (without configuring other black grillls in body color)?

Mary Ann,

If I understand this post, it seems to read like, "OK, it has a "Monstrosity" on the side of it, so you want to configure your "C8 convertible, with the intake's mouth, painted in body color, which GM allows for some body colors.

What you don't like when doing that, is GM also decided to, on rear of car also paint the 2 rear Black Grills body color also, rather than leave them Black?

If so, I can understand your frustration, as I chose to have the rear air intake side pieces painted Body color also, an do not like that Rear Grills get painted body color too, as the rear grills provide accent color on rear-end, that match the front Black Grills, along with breaking up all the body color on rear end. I'll be looking into cost of a couple of options, that allow me to change them back to Black rear Grills. Option(s) that may not be possible to do where your located per below prior post about C8.

Is this post based on the fact that per below Thread Starter, You want to ordered a new C8 convertible based on/or about 11-24-2019 post, an now find out per GM's configurator, the rear-end's grills also get painted body color, which is really what has upset you, and your plan for getting a C8 convertible?

Such a change, in such a short time, per below post about Corvettes. Looks more like personal frustration to me about "rear-end grills getting painted Body color also than true hate for the C8's over all design! Am I right or wrong?

Originally Posted by MaryAnnB
Dealer says 48 orders placed on MotorShow, 6 Convertibles. They bring in all 3LT, Z51. Estimated cost is to be around $120K. This time buying in <redacted>.

They said first convertibles would be delivered approximately in July-2020, but I am assuming this will be around September-2020.

Would these be 2020 or 2021 models? When would the Z06 Convertible be out?

Jay Leno's vid shows this to be exactly the coffin we imagined it would be... but what to do. We shopped around a lot, there is nothing better than this car. $1795 Automatic GPS lift sold us. $15K on Huracan, and manual too.

Like we mentioned many times earlier... Corvette is light years ahead of Lambos and Ferraris in Techology.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Every time I get the TR genie stuffed back into the the bottle someone releases it into the wild again - the blue one made my heart go pitter-pat..... I was looking for a blue 328 GTB - there are three different blues - when I found my silver car. I'm happy with my silver... but a blue TR might push me over the edge to let the TR genie out of the bottle myself.... sigh...

I grew up in the Norman OK and there was a dealership 'Big Red Sports & Imports' that sold Ferrari's. I went there once with my Dad and we looked at a pair of Ferrari's on the showroom floor, that was a long time ago but it seems like the had a black 328 and a red Mondial. Dad was probably more interested in Brian Bosworth's vette which also sat on the showroom floor - but not me! Someone in Norman had a TR and you would occasionally see it driving around. I was blown away at how exotic that car looked. You wouldn't mistake it for anything else with those side vents. I thought it was the most beautiful car ever made, i had a red remote control one that i drove all over the house, also had a giant poster of one on my bedroom wall (it replaced the Countach poster ). I even watched Miami Vice just to see that car driving around.

Years later a friend of mine bought a low mileage 308, red of course, and he still has it under cover in his garage. Sadly i don't think he ever drives it and i suspect he would like to sell it.

Anyway the TR's were my favorite, even the early model that had the high side mirror. I might prefer the 512 TR which had better wheels and they cleaned up the nose a little bit. I don't remember if they got a bump in power or not, but i do like the cleaner look. I think if you found one in blue you would have something really really special. Also heard these cars are going back up in value, whereas 10 years ago you could buy one for the price of one of our new vettes.

I realize this is a C8 forum so my apologies in advance for posting TR ****:

Old 12-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Its the people incessantly posting negative threads that are labelled trolls. Deservedly so IMO. If you don't like the C8, say so..once. No need to make multiple threads bashing a car in the same forum for those of us who are actually buying one. It serves no purpose except to troll. That MaryAnnBeast and C2C3C4Ç6 clowns being good examples of trolls.
Agreed. Somehow the C8 forum has become the place where people that don’t like the car come to criticize styling, performance, value and anyone that happens to like the car. Obviously everyone doesn’t have to agree but the theme is just generally negative. Even Steve Bell chimed in recently with a OMG what else are we going to complain about the wipers? There’s another mid engine forum that has much less negativity.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:36 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I just watched an episode of the MotorWeek TV show. They took an orange C8 convertible for a ride and did a quick review. They also reviewed a Mustang GT500. Didn’t care for it. I think I’ll go register at the Mustang Forum, and post how I don’t care for the car. On second thought, nah, I have better things to do with my time.
The following 6 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
FringbirdAloha (12-01-2019), jcapps (12-01-2019), JockItch (12-02-2019), Mrc100 (12-01-2019), Rapid Fred (12-01-2019), Steve Garrett (12-01-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:00 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

I like the C8. I also like lists. Please add me MaryAnnB.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:18 PM
BigF6B
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 402 Posts

It's the same crap no matter where you go..These trolls are on all the forum's like this Gold Wing site I used to check in to now and then..They were on it complaining about the redesign of the 2018 Goldwing touring motorcycle. Blah, blah... I had already bought one and I love it...Been waiting many years for the ME Corvette and my $$ are down...Sure there are some aspects of the car I wish they tweaked differently,but I can live with it.
FringbirdAloha (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:06 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 896 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim

Side views just look odd to me.. doesn’t seem like anything was planned well to go together.
Is this guy 4’10” or do the proportions make him look small? Car looks huge.
JockItch (12-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Side monstrosity. What purpose does it serve?

Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Understood. I try to play devil's advocate with certain aspects and to be honest the C8 as a whole is nice. Individual portions, to me, are terrible. That side scoop is one of the biggest let downs for me. But that's ok, for it offers some other cool updates. The rear could easily be better, as could certain portions of the front end but I could live with it all. The hardest thing for me is that screen in "no-man's-land" and the wall of buttons. lol They look terrible, but again, I can look past all of it....be a lot easier and I would buy one that had three pedals. Hah
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Haha, I’m guess I’m on MaryAnnB’s ignore list. Oh well.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Buddhaman
Pro

Received 502 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge

I grew up in the Norman OK and there was a dealership 'Big Red Sports & Imports' that sold Ferrari's. I went there once with my Dad and we looked at a pair of Ferrari's on the showroom floor, that was a long time ago but it seems like the had a black 328 and a red Mondial. Dad was probably more interested in Brian Bosworth's vette which also sat on the showroom floor - but not me! Someone in Norman had a TR and you would occasionally see it driving around. I was blown away at how exotic that car looked. You wouldn't mistake it for anything else with those side vents. I thought it was the most beautiful car ever made, i had a red remote control one that i drove all over the house, also had a giant poster of one on my bedroom wall (it replaced the Countach poster ). I even watched Miami Vice just to see that car driving around.
I’m surprised that Big Red was a decent car lot at some point in time. Lately it’s been the worst place for folks to deal with when buying a car. I can’t imagine a Ferrari on any of their lots.

Quick Reply: Side monstrosity. What purpose does it serve?