Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:48 PM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 234 Posts

I’ll wait, it will be worth it
Old 11-21-2019, 05:07 PM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

If your budget is $30-40K you should stick with the Cayman or a used Corvette for now and enjoy that until you have the money for a C8... Even with the deals on new C7's you should get a car that is closer to the bottom of it's depreciation curve so when you're ready to trade up you won't have to suffer such a big hit...
Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Bozack
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
I am a pretty huge boxster/cayman fan, I hate to admit, I even like the new turbo 4 cyl Cayman (I drove a GTS a few months ago) they are VERY fun cars and you can find one in a manual if that is appealing. I also really like Corvettes. I will say, 2 different experiences. To this day, in a Porsche, people do give me the occasional nod, but with Corvettes, people will approach you and seems like thumbs up and acknowledgements are much more frequent in the Vette, my personal experience. Driving, the Porsches to me, feel much more visceral, and I can really feel right where the contact patches of the tires are, they are tossable, nimble, and confidence inspiring. The Vette is a bit more of a GT, it feels bigger, doesn't feel quite as connected, but also, comfortable and very livable. I daily drive all of my hot rods. The C8 is most def in my crosshairs, I am not an early adopter, but I can tell you its just a matter of time before I have one. How can you not?

Bottom line, you have to get some seat time. Put aside what people THINK you should get, my friends are all Pcar guys and I was out with them this summer and talking cars, the WIVES all bristled at the idea that I was going to get a Vette, that made me laugh and almost made the Vette MORE appealing to me.... But drive them and follow your heart. That is what I have done and have been fortunate to experience a lot of fun cars from a pretty diverse group of manufacturers.
Thanks, I originally wanted the Porsche as I loved the look and all of the reviews said it was a fun driving car, plus used they seem cheap depending on what you're looking for, also I would definitely get a manual, but one gripe I constantly read was that they get costly to maintain, hence the interest in the vette. I loved the new stingray when it came out, and then really loved the look of the C8, though the lack of a manual is a bummer.

Seems like I need to take both out to see what I like...I will work on prioritizing that, challenge is the weather here kind of stinks lately.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Bozack
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyLivin
If your budget is $30-40K you should stick with the Cayman or a used Corvette for now and enjoy that until you have the money for a C8... Even with the deals on new C7's you should get a car that is closer to the bottom of it's depreciation curve so when you're ready to trade up you won't have to suffer such a big hit...
well my budget = what I think my wife won't kill me over....I think I can get away with 40K, my wife said once we don't have to deal with our kids school and stuff then I can do whatever, but I don't want to wait that long

Last edited by Bozack; 11-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozack
Thanks, I originally wanted the Porsche as I loved the look and all of the reviews said it was a fun driving car, plus used they seem cheap depending on what you're looking for, also I would definitely get a manual, but one gripe I constantly read was that they get costly to maintain, hence the interest in the vette. I loved the new stingray when it came out, and then really loved the look of the C8, though the lack of a manual is a bummer.

Seems like I need to take both out to see what I like...I will work on prioritizing that, challenge is the weather here kind of stinks lately.
In that case the C7 is your only choice. I'll be keeping my M7 C7 until I have to buy an autonomous vehicle.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:21 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
If you want a Corvette, buy a nice used, or deeply discounted C7 GS. Great car, great value, with a proven history.

Best advice.......buy used get your feet wet and see what happens with the c8. You buy the right car and you should be able to sell it in a year not loosing much money.

C8 will have start up issues as have all new models. Beyond that I believe gm has so many iterations in the pipeline there will be an abundance of used cars very quickly......one year out.

Look at the c7 stingray.....when it came out it was the car. After the Z and gs...... stingrays are a bargain and more then adequate.

And if the economy turns......there will be deals galore.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

OP. All depends on you..

1. Paying msrp or more for a car that will be less desirable in just 2 or 3 yrs and discounted as every new gen Corvette has been?

2. First model year - buying a discounted C7 now will slow the depreciation curve considerably- then pick up a C8 when the hype dies down with whatever latest and greatest advancements and bugs worked out.

3. Remember - the C8 is an unproven vehicle. NOBODY has one. New DCT - platform - electrical architecture etc. What could possibly.... go wrong?

4. I know this - the C7 is a known vehicle. For its Good and bad you know what you're getting and the enjoyment will be without waiting for the other shoe to drop - techs unfamiliar with it - parts shortages for replacements etc.

F all of that... did this when the C7 came out kept my 08 for 3 more years and got a new 16 @20% off msrp..

Then upgraded to the last year of this gen with an ordered 19 in August. Each gen Corvette - the last year was the best of that Gen.. and the following first years cars lacked a ton of things that are always a "man wish mine had that engine - trans - cameras- stereo - paint - wheels - etc etc.. just research it. I could list that until the cows come home right through to C7.

and lastly your 40k remark? Happy wife happy life. You're nuts if you go beyond what will make it a tumultuous environment. Marriage being the sacrifice that it is. Don't screw that up over car brother.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,014 Likes on 1,690 Posts

So I am looking at getting something for fun, originally was toying with a used cayman for around 30-40k and then they announced the C8 and loved the look but it was still a bit more than I was looking to spend, in high school I used to have a mustang, and have had some ok daily drivers, but this would be my first non necessity car.

Now I see that there are deals of up to 17% off new C7s....which would put them more in line with what I was thinking of spending on the used Porsche....but I still can't help but wonder if its worth it to just wait for the C8.

If I did go C7 it would be just an 1LT, and C8 would be basically the base model.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Everyone here advising you to wait for the C8 has never actually driven one. Keep that in mind. The C8 looks gorgeous and should be a crowning achievement, but a C7 is NOT sloppy seconds. If you are looking for a “fun car”, a C7 checks all the boxes and represents a “dream car” that most will never own. Know your budget, and decide from there.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:49 AM
C8broughtmeback
Burning Brakes

Received 792 Likes on 359 Posts

Why doesn't GM just begin production with 2021's, thereby eliminating all those darn problems everybody will having with their 2020 C8's? PROBLEM SOLVED. SKIP YEAR 1 OF THE NEW MODEL!
Old 11-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

This type of question comes up a lot. What do you want to do? Is the wait or price good for you? Why do you care what a bunch of posters that you do not know think about your purchase?
Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I will look used, I was avoiding it because I figure some of these cars are driven hard and again the price new wasn't terrible for a LT1, and given I'd only be driving it infrequently its not like I need a lot of options...I actually prefer cars with less "stuff" in them and don't need crazy power.
Actually, you should be able to find a ton of used C7s that have been barely driven, much less driven hard...
Old 11-27-2019, 02:19 PM
2turbocobra
Racer

Received 306 Likes on 133 Posts

I get keeping the depreciation down by getting a c7 now and a c8 later. but if you add up the depreciation (especially if one has stupid sale tax like ca 9%) you will get on the 2 cars it probably won't be a lot less than the depreciation of the 2020 c8 I plan on keeping our c8 for 5 years ish, I am going to enjoy having the new thing, thats worth something to me. I am excited that it will be a new car and will be under warranty. normally I keep cars a year or 2 (buying used) I recently burned through some 10k dailys about a year or less each. e55, my favorite so far super fast and fun, Audi s8 lambo v10 was cool and super nice, and I am on a 535i right now which I really like but its nothing special, the m5 was just too much of a maintenance train wreck. I ll step to 20-30k dailys next zl1, older gt 500, hellcat, gt350, working up to 2007 ish 911 turbo. too many cars I want to own

its fun trading them around but the its hard not to eat sales tax every time and that is expensive.. In ca you don't get sales tax back on trade in either.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Get a C7 and later, go to a C8. C7 doesn’t disappoint.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:28 PM
FN in MT
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm going to get a C8 for sure but whether a 2020 or 2021 IS the question. I'm a late 2020 guy unless several folks ahead of me drop out and only a few have. I'm at a Dealer 240 miles away for MSRP. MY issue is I have not seen or SAT in a C8 yet. Zero Dealer reveals anywhere remotely near by. My nearest/soonest is February. Paying MSRP annoys me as well. They are giving away C7's now, especially 1LT models. Under $50K 1LT's pretty common, even out here in the relatively Corvette free North west.

I wanted a toy to keep me occupied for the next 10-12 months. I started investigating cars that appealed. The Porsche Cayman kept coming up. So started actively getting educated on the 718 current gen cars. Maintenance seemed reasonable and I have a few shops near by that could take care of it. Then started LOOKING for a car. Had to REALLY widen my search and in 2 weeks ended up with a 3K mile car a CPO car in Northern California.Manual trans too. Drove it home a week ago.

The drive home was a lot of fun. It's a heck of a car. The fit and finish is typical Porsche. I'm very happy with it.

Detailed it out a few days ago which kept me busy for the entire day. buffed and waxed, detailed interior, etc. Now it sits in the garage while the snow mounts up out here.

IF You can afford to do it and it wont hurt Your chances for a C8 find something that trips Your trigger. It will keep you busy and interested until you are ready for a C8.

Someone already beat me to it but[ You only live ONCE. Life is short. If You can responsibly do it...get something to hold you over until your C8.

Last edited by FN in MT; 11-27-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

So I am looking at getting something for fun, originally was toying with a used cayman for around 30-40k and then they announced the C8 and loved the look but it was still a bit more than I was looking to spend, in high school I used to have a mustang, and have had some ok daily drivers, but this would be my first non necessity car.

Now I see that there are deals of up to 17% off new C7s....which would put them more in line with what I was thinking of spending on the used Porsche....but I still can't help but wonder if its worth it to just wait for the C8.

If I did go C7 it would be just an 1LT, and C8 would be basically the base model.

Any thoughts appreciated.
just buy a lightly used C7.. amazing car for the prices that can be found.
The following users liked this post:
FN in MT (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: C8 worth the wait?