Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 wins Motor Trend Car of The Year!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Porsche's are excellent cars. But they are not nor have they always been vastly superior to Corvettes. That is a myth...
Since you're bringing up ancient history, the 911 was vastly superior to Corvettes from 1978-1996. The C5 was such a good car for the time that it started to even it out.
The following users liked this post:
Malekith (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
It is unfortunate that the C8 is causing you and bunch of your Porsche humping comrades such difficulty. What is it that you are affraid. of. Is it because your precious 911 is ugly or is it the ridciculous bend over price tag? Mass porduced? What do you think a 911 is. You are drinking way to much of the Kool Aide from Stutgart, they got your number Pal.
Very obvious to me you have no real experience with Porsche. Your comments are linear and myopic. Porsche makes a very compelling sports car line. From top to bottom their cars are very appealing and offer a wonderful ownership experience for those of us who have and have had them. The idea that Porsche's business model is predicated on the ups and downs of the Corvette are foolish and meritless. While the demographics for the two cars share some space, the Porsche marque has as much history and the commensurate admiration and respect as the Corvette, in reality, probably a lot more as it is and has been distributed worldwide for much of its history, a feat that as of yet has alluded the Corvette. It cannot be a world beating car if it is not available to the world. The Corvette is also a very wonderful car, it is truly an icon and I have enjoyed owning them and being part of that experience.

Punky You seem incapable of wrapping your head around anything beyond basic performance data and price and are clearly very emotionally charged referencing your repeated ad hominem attacks. I don't mean to engage in the same, but your comments/arguments are childish at very best. Be nice if you could respect the opinions of others even if you don't agree. I can assure you, you are not influencing nor persuading anyone and most especially any Porsche owners/aficionados.

Anyone who would attack either Marque simply because its 'expensive' Or "cheap" or not visually appealing to them personally having never owned and likely may not have even driven one, not only has no credibility, but does a disservice to our extended family of car enthusiasts.
HooosierDaddy (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Porsche has some very good systems in place, but they aren't hand crafted by an old German with glasses on the end of his nose. Most of their plants are a melting pot with everything in the world from Turks, to Czechs, to everything else. They are just mass produced to a high standard. Good cars, but hand crafted they are not.
We have been through the numbers before. Total 911s of all variations imported into the US is around 9,000. Total C8 production by second year estimated at 30,000. You cannot compare the production quality of the 911 to what that rolls off the line in Bowling Green. The Germans just make better cars than GM.

911's are not hand built. Almost no cars are constructed that way anymore. But when you look at all of the possible customization options that can be done from the base Carrera through all of the models up to 991 Turbo S Exclusive you have to recognize that the GM cannot meet that level of detail and quality. The C8 will be mass produced in a few different models with some cookie cutter options. You want a special color? No. You want special leather? No. You get the options available in the drop down menu on the website. Ask your dealer can they do a one off they will look at you like you are crazy then get up to sell a Yukon to a more promising customer.

Take the C8 for what it will be. A very fast, well handling car built in an American union controlled car factory by a bunch disgruntled members who feel they got screwed because they no longer get to take their birthday off as a paid holiday.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:42 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Since you're bringing up ancient history, the 911 was vastly superior to Corvettes from 1978-1996. The C5 was such a good car for the time that it started to even it out.
Actually we were talking about recent history (as in the last few days) the 911 was part of the MT COY and lost to the C8 this year.
But since you brought up ancient history perhaps you may want to rethink that as well.

Originally Posted by Bwright View Post

C6 ZR1 vs. 911 Turbo S in Motor Trend's Monsters' Brawl:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...bo-comparison/
No surprise really given that the Turbo S' turbos expired mid-test. Second time we have seen that happen.

Car and Driver's The Old Masters when the C7 was introduced:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Motor Trend's test of the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport vs. the 2017 911 Carrera S.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...911-carrera-s/

And I have added a few more for you here just for the records.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...convertible-d/

Truth be known the P-cars have never been vastly superior to Corvettes.
Folks and some magazines have said that for years but the empirical data has never shown that.

Sure there have been years where the P-cars have been better in performance. But there have been years where the Vettes have been better as well.
Heads will explode if I reminded folks there were years when the Vettes interiors where better.
Folks seem to forget when P-cars didnt have AC or power windows and the Vettes did. Or that it was years after the Vette had a 6 speed manual before the P-car got a 6th cog. Or the fact the 911 got ABS brakes a year after the Vette in 1986.

I could go on and on but there is no need to. Folks remember history the way they want to.
Lavender (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 PM
the lark
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim
since there are 2 of the exact posts right next to each other, why not comment on both??

We are in the times where a man has won woman of the year. So take these magazines word with a grain of salt.

The car isn’t even produced yet and you’re ready to deem it #1 car on the planet simply because Chevy was late to the mid engine / DCT game??
Joy kill. Looks like he doesn't even own a vette, anymore.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimnc
We have been through the numbers before. Total 911s of all variations imported into the US is around 9,000. Total C8 production by second year estimated at 30,000. You cannot compare the production quality of the 911 to what that rolls off the line in Bowling Green. The Germans just make better cars than GM.

911's are not hand built. Almost no cars are constructed that way anymore. But when you look at all of the possible customization options that can be done from the base Carrera through all of the models up to 991 Turbo S Exclusive you have to recognize that the GM cannot meet that level of detail and quality. The C8 will be mass produced in a few different models with some cookie cutter options. You want a special color? No. You want special leather? No. You get the options available in the drop down menu on the website. Ask your dealer can they do a one off they will look at you like you are crazy then get up to sell a Yukon to a more promising customer.

Take the C8 for what it will be. A very fast, well handling car built in an American union controlled car factory by a bunch disgruntled members who feel they got screwed because they no longer get to take their birthday off as a paid holiday.
That depends on your definition of better doesn't it?

My definition is, as good for less cash.

Whats is yours?
Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

I have owned many German cars and I like what I like and not because they are German or domestic! I will have many more German cars in the future. That said, you could not be more wrong! I have lemoned a Gernan car before and know many people that have had as well. They are not built by some magical God's like some think they are LOL. Depending on the brand, they have their own issues. Not saying domestic cars don't have them. Now if you want to tout quality, better built and reliability then you would look at Lexus and the Japanese which make better quality & reliable cars than the Germans! But Lexus has no desirable cars imo and boring AF.

In addition, depending on the region of the country, Porsche's are a dime a dozen. Side note, in Europe, Mercedes and BMW's are used as Taxi cabs but in some parts of the USA people might think they are sooo special!

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 11-20-2019 at 02:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveFerrari458:
HooosierDaddy (11-20-2019), Lavender (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,622 Likes on 4,649 Posts

The Germans just make better cars than GM.
Not all Germans, my boss bought a X5 BMW and it has been the biggest pile of **** ever put together. It has never been off road once, street driven as a company car, and at 60,000 miles it had to have new control arms, at 100K all new CV joints and half shafts, the list goes on and on. It has been the biggest money pit and he swears never again will he own a BMW. My Buick Regal company car has 149,800 miles, can be parked over carpet since the underneath is bone dry, still half pad thickness on the original brakes, and has had one gasket that leaked and was under warranty. The car still doesn't have one squeak or rattle, not sure what they could have done to build it any better.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phil1098:
427bob (11-20-2019), dar02081961 (11-20-2019), DaveFerrari458 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM
ZX10turbo
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Is it actually legal to put a passenger back there? Does it have seat belts with shoulder straps?
Yes it is a actual 4 seater, forward facing child seats fit and a few rear facing ones as well. Yes it has full shoulder belts.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,069 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim
People don’t like to hear opinions opposite of theirs.
Hmmmmm. Based on skimming through this thread (kind of entertaining and sad at the same time, and I had 15 minutes to indulge), I'm guessing you include yourself in that category??
Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Yeah Ok Troll, no one should buy a Corvette now because the line workers don't get to take their birthday off. How about buy a C8 because they look fantastic and perform well:

and not buy a 992 because they are stupidly over priced and have an appearance that is turd like compared to a C8:

Last edited by punky; 11-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
427bob (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:53 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyrelic
I have no dog in this “discussion”, but to imply Tesa hasn’t cost taxpayers any money is simply wrong. Musk’s companies, which includes Tesla, has received over $4.9B in Government subsidies, tax breaks, etc. No, Tesla did not receive bailout money like GM, but they haven’t earned it all on their own either...
Don't forget the "Green incentives" handed out by governments of all stripes to Tesla's customers to encourage the purchase of cars that would be otherwise unaffordable even with all the direct subsidies to Tesla over the years. Funny how environmentalists think it's perfectly ok for the government to help wealthy people to buy an expensive luxury car.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Yeah Ok Troll, no one should buy a Corvette now because the line workers don't get to take their birthday off. How about buy a C8 because they look fantastic and perform well:

and not buy a 992 because they are stupidly over priced and have an appearance that is turd like compared to a C8:

Fixed.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:04 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Updated:
Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Fixed.
Very nice. It’s great that we can all have an opinion. I personally think the Porsche looks far better than the C8. However it’s okay that others feel differently. I didn’t REALLY want a Corvette until the C7Z arrived. Then I got my first. Many don’t like them and that’s okay. The C8 will do fine in sales. It’s just not for everyone.
TARANTULA (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Updated:
Not arguing with you I get that you don’t like Porsche’s. Just posting an apples to apples picture.

btw I consider the 992 to be the ugliest 911 ever made. Yes including the 996.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 11-20-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Not arguing with you I get that you don’t like Porsche’s. Just posting an apples to apples picture.

btw I consider the 992 to be the ugliest 911 ever made. Yes including the 996.
I understand that some guys love their 911s and that is just fine by me. What I find bizzare is how many of these 911 drumbeaters have gone into attack mode here since the C8 reveal. They are obviously insecure about something.
The following 4 users liked this post by punky:
427bob (11-20-2019), DaveFerrari458 (11-20-2019), Lavender (11-20-2019), TARANTULA (11-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 wins Motor Trend Car of The Year!!

Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The C8 will be mass produced in a few different models with some cookie cutter options. You want a special color? No. You want special leather? No. You get the options available in the drop down menu on the website. Ask your dealer can they do a one off they will look at you like you are crazy then get up to sell a Yukon to a more promising customer.
perhaps you want a bunch of foo-foo stuff in your sports car, like matching designer doilies, but I have no desire for junk like that.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,622 Likes on 4,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
perhaps you want a bunch of foo-foo stuff in your sports car, like matching designer doilies, but I have no desire for junk like that.
Apparently he's Elton John.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Apparently he's Elton John.
The C8 makes the Porsche look ridiculous.

Quick Reply: C8 wins Motor Trend Car of The Year!!