Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and Track forever discredited itself

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:31 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX10turbo
You're a complete joke.... pay off haha maybe read the criteria before you decide to comment. PCOTY is for new or heavily revised cars...... civic does not fit that critera.
Thought the 306BHP Civic R was a newer special for the US. Car has done very well at Nurburgring setting a FWD record with a 7:43.8 lap. To put that in perspective Jan Magnussen in a C6 Z06 ran a 7:42.9.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:36 PM
ZX10turbo
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Thought the 306BHP Civic R was a newer special for the US. Car has done very well at Nurburgring setting a FWD record with a 7:43.8 lap. To put that in perspective Jan Magnussen in a C6 Z06 ran a 7:42.9.
Awesome car.... yes! Newer...... yes! All new or heavily revised this year..... no! It It was not eligible for PCOTY
Old 11-19-2019, 12:22 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What makes you think I was writing for you? Were you somehow under the impression that you are the only reader here?

You seem to like writing to me, I suppose it's mutual.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OlyC6
No kidding. They stopped printing reader comments/letters... and then started reviewing trucks and trucks and more trucks... they have lost their vision... and as a long-time subscriber, I'm going to cancel at the end of current term...

I wonder if Peter Egan is livid at what R&T has become...
The magazine has gone downhill for sure and it really sucks now. More of lifestyle magazine. On the other hand, cars are sorta boring now. They are really good and perform well but boring. Back in the '60s cars were exciting but performance was marginal.

Funny how that all works in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
The magazine has gone downhill for sure and it really sucks now. More of lifestyle magazine. On the other hand, cars are sorta boring now. They are really good and perform well but boring. Back in the '60s cars were exciting but performance was marginal.

Funny how that all works in reverse.

At least one car magazine not full of crap!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:01 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The lap-time setting Civic Type R has cheater tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2) as well as the rear seat removed and roll-cage welded in for additional structural rigidity.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:28 PM
ZX10turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by The HACK
The lap-time setting Civic Type R has cheater tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2) as well as the rear seat removed and roll-cage welded in for additional structural rigidity.
The civics record has been outdone but regardless with street tires and cage it was still a hell of a lap!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZX10turbo
The civics record has been outdone but regardless with street tires and cage it was still a hell of a lap!
There's no question the Civic Type R is a fantastic driver's car. If it weren't for the refunkulous ADMs most dealership are throwing on the car, making a $30K sticker well in excess of $50K (nearly the same price and cost as a base C7 Stingray) I would take a very serious look at it.

Just merely pointing out that 'Ring laps need to be taken with a grain of salt and compared for the right reasons. Just like all the magazine reviews, shoot-outs, YouTube videos...etc. It's all too easy to just bench race and spew off numbers.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

There's no question the Civic Type R is a fantastic driver's car. If it weren't for the refunkulous ADMs most dealership are throwing on the car, making a $30K sticker well in excess of $50K (nearly the same price and cost as a base C7 Stingray) I would take a very serious look at it.

Just merely pointing out that 'Ring laps need to be taken with a grain of salt and compared for the right reasons. Just like all the magazine reviews, shoot-outs, YouTube videos...etc. It's all too easy to just bench race and spew off numbers.
So what is the reason they do it like this now? Seems like bs to me.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

There's no question the Civic Type R is a fantastic driver's car. If it weren't for the refunkulous ADMs most dealership are throwing on the car, making a $30K sticker well in excess of $50K (nearly the same price and cost as a base C7 Stingray) I would take a very serious look at it..
Looks like some of that has subsided.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 PM
ZX10turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Phil1098

I wish I liked the way that car looked more, its a hoot to drive!
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

I don’t know. A friend and I stopped by a local Honda store because they were advertising a CTR at MSRP. Turns out the car had sat on the lot for nearly a year already and there’s a $15,000 upsale on a variety of bogus “add-ons” they refuse to remove (garbage like Lo-jack and simonizing and ‘GAP insurance’ on a non-finances car) that pushed the car to almost $50k before taxes and license. Not to mention the variety of “delivery fees” and “doc fees” that were significantly higher than normal.

There were no “market adjustment” but the $2,000 for “interior treatment” was a sure sign that they still think they can sell the CTR at well above MSRP. My buddy has pretty much given up on the CTR. I might pick one up used in 3-5 years when my kid is ready to drive. I certainly don’t want her to learn a stick shift in either my BMW Z4 M Coupe or the Corvette, that’s for sure.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The irony here is nearly unfathomable...

First off... It makes me laugh that there's a bunch of old dudes who never track their corvettes and never will, passing judgement on a a car that does the track well for $30k. Especially when the Corvette has ALWAYS been the "we can be just as fast as the euro cars but cheaper" sports car in America.Just because a car isn't expensive doesn't mean it's bad, if you own a corvette you already know this.

Second... I've been lucky enough to hustle a Veloster N on back roads nearby. The car is all there, it's capable and fun and is easy to push - very communicative feel, It's 80% as fun as the all-motor 575whp '17 Camaro SS 1LE I just sold, and the Veloster was 2/3 the price (before any mods to the Camaro, a little less than 1/2 the price after). It's my favorite new car under $35k (maybe under $40k

The following 3 users liked this post by RideZX6R:
Jinx (11-20-2019), LowRyter (11-19-2019), Suns_PSD (11-21-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Road and Track is my favorite and although surprised they picked the Hyundai over a Lotus or Miata the rest of the article is well written and makes the most salient point in the final ordering: today's sports cars are not built for the enthusiast, they are built for comfort and show. Case in point, the Corvette is heavier than minivans and comes only in automatic, I think it deserves to lose.

So bravo Road and Track.
Have you been eating those big white mints from the urnials again?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:58 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

I'm a Honda guy but no way $40k for a Civic.

But I wouldn't pay $40k for any car, 'vette included.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:01 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RideZX6R

First off... It makes me laugh that there's a bunch of old dudes who never track their corvettes and never will, passing judgement on a a car that does the track well for $30k. Especially when the Corvette has ALWAYS been the "we can be just as fast as the euro cars but cheaper" sports car in America.Just because a car isn't expensive doesn't mean it's bad, if you own a corvette you already know this.

Second... I've been lucky enough to hustle a Veloster N on back roads nearby. The car is all there, it's capable and fun and is easy to push - very communicative feel, It's 80% as fun as the all-motor 575whp '17 Camaro SS 1LE I just sold, and the Veloster was 2/3 the price (before any mods to the Camaro, a little less than 1/2 the price after). It's my favorite new car under $35k (maybe under $40k
Great write up. You might be the only one here that's driven one.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by RideZX6R

It was a comparison (supposedly). It's great that you've driven a Hyundai, have you also driven a 2020 911S or any of the others? If lap times didn't matter why did they do them? Why post them and show on a minute 30 track, the Hyundai was 10 seconds a lap slower? It's a well balanced and fun car, great. Is it a better performance car than the other ten in the comparison? I'm not going to talk about the C8, it's new and no one on here really knows about how it drives first hand, Porsche has been doing this with, we'll call a fair amount of success for only 50+ years. Other companies pay to have Porsches Weissach to develop cars. So after all this, we are supposed to believe a Hyundai is a better performance car than the best 911S Porsche has ever made? That is stretching my credulity. We haven't even looked at the others, Lotus, BMW, Nissan, Lamborghini. So given all 11 cars lined up, you would HONESTLY choose the Hyundai to drive away with? Operate word being honestly.

Get notified of new replies

To Road and Track forever discredited itself

Old 11-19-2019, 11:36 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

It was a comparison (supposedly). It's great that you've driven a Hyundai, have you also driven a 2020 911S or any of the others? If lap times didn't matter why did they do them? Why post them and show on a minute 30 track, the Hyundai was 10 seconds a lap slower? It's a well balanced and fun car, great. Is it a better performance car than the other ten in the comparison? I'm not going to talk about the C8, it's new and no one on here really knows about how it drives first hand, Porsche has been doing this with, we'll call a fair amount of success for only 50+ years. Other companies pay to have Porsches Weissach to develop cars. So after all this, we are supposed to believe a Hyundai is a better performance car than the best 911S Porsche has ever made? That is stretching my credulity. We haven't even looked at the others, Lotus, BMW, Nissan, Lamborghini. So given all 11 cars lined up, you would HONESTLY choose the Hyundai to drive away with? Operate word being honestly.
Maybe you should ask for award of best "track car" ?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Maybe you should ask for award of best "track car" ?
How can you be so dense? If it didn't matter, then WHY did they take them to a track?

Last edited by Phil1098; 11-19-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:39 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Default What?? Rice & Truck Magazine??

Last month's R&T Truck volume did it for me.

Yep, love my truck, BUT, there are magazines aplenty just for this venue.

Advertising dollars equals performance IMHO.

Quick Reply: Road and Track forever discredited itself