Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 over-refined?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Back in 1964 I bought a red Lotus Elan, the first year in the US, and when I was in my mid-twenties, it was great. It had the 140 HP engine, four speed, no radio, and no power anything. I loved it on the track, but it was an excellent street car too, and a fine all round sports car for it's time. I still think fondly of that car, and I wish I had it today. However, If I did, it would spend 99.9% of it's time in the garage while I was driving my electric DD or my fully equipped F-Type with 575 HP or my equipped auto C6.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Many claim to want the "visceral" sports car, but when it's offered (Viper/4C/Evora/Elise/etc) no one buys it.
They buy Miatas...
Old 11-04-2019, 09:01 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by capevettes
But I did buy a Viper and love it, Jimmy. . Love the raw visceral feel. Ordered the C8 with the Z51, 1lT, no mag ride. No fluff. 67 grand out the door.
Which brings into stark contrast the price increase. I bought a $75K sticker 2017 Grand Sport with 2LT, PDR, nav for $67K before TT&L in Dec of 2016.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Which brings into stark contrast the price increase. I bought a $75K sticker 2017 Grand Sport with 2LT, PDR, nav for $67K before TT&L in Dec of 2016.
There's no price increase for the c8. It's actually slightly cheaper than the c7 with similar options.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
There's no price increase for the c8. It's actually slightly cheaper than the c7 with similar options.
How is that possible? You can’t get a 1LT Z51 for what I got a 2LT Grand Sport for.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I hope the Z06 goes back to its roots as a lightweight model similar to the C5Z and C6Z where they went to pretty extreme measures to thin out each piece of glass, remove soundproofing under carpet, titanium exhaust, lighter wheels, etc. etc.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-04-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:23 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
But I did buy a Viper and love it, Jimmy. . Love the raw visceral feel. Ordered the C8 with the Z51, 1lT, no mag ride. No fluff. 67 grand out the door.

That's good, they are very cool cars. BUT....the car could not sell in sufficient numbers to be a viable business. The Alfa 4C is one of the most fun cars you'll ever drive. BUT....if you are only going to have ONE sports car (YOU clearly don't have that issue!!!), cars like the Viper/4C/various Lotus's (Lotii?) are tough to live with.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by genek
Is anyone worried that driving enjoyment may have been sacrificed in the name of performance and refinement?

I have bought "lesser" cars before that were of older design and lower performance simply because the newer cars were more refined at the expense of the driving experience. I buy the car for the entertainment value not the lap time.
Don’t worry Pops the door edges won’t grab your white socks and make you fall.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I hope the Z06 goes back to its roots as a lightweight model similar to the C5Z and C6Z where they went to pretty extreme measures to thin out each piece of glass, remove soundproofing under carpet, titanium exhaust, lighter wheels, etc. etc.
I just dont see that with the C8 Z06. If they went with carbon fiber wheels, body panels, etc the price would go way, way, up. I think to add more power, tires, brakes, wide body, etc, etc they will already push $100K.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Another thread to complain! If it was the other way then there would be complaints is the car not refined enough? LOL
More accurately......constructive criticism. It’s also healthy and honest!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Not happening. C8 Z06 will be in the 3800 lbs range.

Current base model is 3350, z06 = 200 lbs more.

​​​​​​new base model 3600 lbs. New z06 = 3800 lbs. Yay ZL1 1le weight ! Ask those guys how much tires and brakes they go through in HPDE.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:42 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by genek
Is anyone worried that driving enjoyment may have been sacrificed in the name of performance and refinement?

I have bought "lesser" cars before that were of older design and lower performance simply because the newer cars were more refined at the expense of the driving experience. I buy the car for the entertainment value not the lap time.
I feel this car is exactly that. I finally got to see it in person in Houston and am underwhelmed to say the least. After seeing it I have gone back to looking for a low mileage C7Z.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:51 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
More accurately......constructive criticism. It’s also healthy and honest!
Constructive criticism my ***!! That word should not even come out of your mouth as you have zero clue what it is!! Try some constructive criticisms about a 911 before trying to pull that sh*t off about a Corvette! LOL You're just butt hurt that the Corvette is actually more refined that your beloved 911! You just love anything that is negatively said about a Corvette! A true troll!! Besides, a car being refined is not a problem!! There are 4 settings that one can dial into if they want a little more raw experience! And if that is not enough then wait for the Z06 or Zora!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:53 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thill444
I just dont see that with the C8 Z06. If they went with carbon fiber wheels, body panels, etc the price would go way, way, up. I think to add more power, tires, brakes, wide body, etc, etc they will already push $100K.
The Stingray is already pushing the $100K mark and so had the C7 Z06. I am pretty sure the C8 Z06 will be about a $100-130K car!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

Received 216 Likes on 82 Posts

The Stingray is already pushing the $100K mark and so had the C7 Z06. I am pretty sure the C8 Z06 will be about a $100-130K car!
Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing GM increase the price point a bit on the FPC V8 powered cars if the additional cost is well spent. In my view the perfect engine lineup would be:
— NA with 600+ hp
— Twin-turbo with 750+ hp
— Twin-turbo hybrid with 950+ hp

And please, God, let there be a wingless option. An integrated duckbill spoiler with an active deployable wing would be perfect.
The following users liked this post:
DaveFerrari458 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:40 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Constructive criticism my ***!! That word should not even come out of your mouth as you have zero clue what it is!! Try some constructive criticisms about a 911 before trying to pull that sh*t off about a Corvette! LOL You're just butt hurt that the Corvette is actually more refined that your beloved 911! You just love anything that is negatively said about a Corvette! A true troll!! Besides, a car being refined is not a problem!! There are 4 settings that one can dial into if they want a little more raw experience! And if that is not enough then wait for the Z06 or Zora!
Exactly, Ice is an aggressive Corvette hater and has no interest in "constructive criticism". He is beside himself as the C8 even in Stingray form takes a dump on his precious 911. Yeah, "constructive criticism" from him is just another day of Porsche cheerleading and Corvette bashing from a guy who brags about not knowing how to change a tire because he is so highly educated, absolutely nauseating. You certainly called this guy out for the angry troll that he is.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

News Alert.....I like the C8! However, I am voicing the same exact concerns that many others are on this forum. However, I realize some on this forum would eat **** if you put a Corvette emblem on it. Quite frankly, you may be that guy, but I am not. I am only a troll to those few Corvette lovers that can not see fault with whatever GM hands them. I can tell you my 911 is a better overall car than my C7 was....your opinion can be whatever you wish. I sure as hell wouldn’t have a C7 on my avatar if I didn’t think it was a great car. You would have to be a real dumb *** not to think the car you selected wasn’t the best car. Maybe I will think the C8 is the best if I decide to buy one. Do you always get a hard on if someone doesn’t like what you do? Look at you, you have Ferrari in your avatar but don’t own one. Then there is Punky. A chest beating Corvette fan.....but doesn’t own one. I have my own set of criteria for trolls.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 over-refined?

Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Exactly, Ice is an aggressive Corvette hater and has no interest in "constructive criticism". He is beside himself as the C8 even in Stingray form takes a dump on his precious 911. Yeah, "constructive criticism" from him is just another day of Porsche cheerleading and Corvette bashing from a guy who brags about not knowing how to change a tire because he is so highly educated, absolutely nauseating. You certainly called this guy out for the angry troll that he is.
You sound like you still have beach sand stuck in your crack You have to be the biggest non Corvette fanboy on the forum. Way to go my man! How is your house rent working out for you. I would say you are a used 1LT buyer at best. Hope you are enjoying your forced early retirement 👍
Old 11-06-2019, 10:51 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
News Alert.....I like the C8! However, I am voicing the same exact concerns that many others are on this forum. However, I realize some on this forum would eat **** if you put a Corvette emblem on it. Quite frankly, you may be that guy, but I am not. I am only a troll to those few Corvette lovers that can not see fault with whatever GM hands them. I can tell you my 911 is a better overall car than my C7 was....your opinion can be whatever you wish. I sure as hell wouldn’t have a C7 on my avatar if I didn’t think it was a great car. You would have to be a real dumb *** not to think the car you selected wasn’t the best car. Maybe I will think the C8 is the best if I decide to buy one. Do you always get a hard on if someone doesn’t like what you do? Look at you, you have Ferrari in your avatar but don’t own one. Then there is Punky. A chest beating Corvette fan.....but doesn’t own one. I have my own set of criteria for trolls.
You must be the most delusional person on this site!! You can't be that blind to yourself, can you? If not then you're pretty stupid!! You've been eating Porsche's sh*t on this site every chance you get lol. And you need to stop this BS that you like the Corvette and have one in your Avatar! That sh*t doesn't fly anymore! And fyi, this is a C8 section and me having owned a Ferrari & Corvette's among a long list of other high-end cars that you would never be able to obtain has nothing to do with a C8 at this moment since the car is not even out yet. Some on here to get more info on the car or view pics and some have nothing else to do but troll.

My apologies to the OP as this was off topic so I'll see you in another Porsche vs. Corvette thread and keep you in check there!!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,215 Likes on 6,019 Posts

Besides, a car being refined is not a problem!! There are 4 settings that one can dial into if they want a little more raw experience! And if that is not enough then wait for the Z06 or Zora!
Exactly... people saying it's "too refined" are forgetting there are multiple drive modes with distinctly different personalities. If you want it hardcore all the time then setup Z-mode or "my mode" akin to track mode and let it eat.

Quick Reply: C8 over-refined?