Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Option package?
1LT
19.95%
2LT
43.22%
3LT
36.83%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

1LT, 2LT or 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 PM
hanka
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info..

Now I better understand why the majority opt for a black interior.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by hanka
Thanks Jerry !

Our difference is in the last 4 items you noted. I'll do the research tonight.
BTW: what do ground effects entail?

Hank
Yep an expensive option that has a carbon fiber splitter and side skirts (dealer installed.) The reason why I added full length side skirts to my 2014 Z51, and ordered the Stage 2 Aero Option for my 2017 Grand Sport was the pebbles on the road in our rural area were making significant dings in the 2014 Z51 rocker panels. Added full length aftermarket LG Motorsports sides skirts to the 2014. After seeing they provided full protection and I was able to remove the marked up, discolored on the edges GM protective plastic! Rocker panels looked new when I sold it after 3 1/2 years! The side skirts had some marks underneath but they are NOT visible from above.

My current 2017 Grand Sport carbon fiber painted carbon flash full length side skirts that came with the Stage 2 aero option have completely protected my rocker panels AND the lower rear air duct openings! Removed the GM plastic and not a mark in 2 1/2 years. I also added the ACS front splash guards which probably help some. The GM ones I added to the 2014 Z51 were little help in the front but did protect the rear. However will probably add an aftermarket splash guards to the C8 IF they look good. Decided not to get those offered as a dealer installed option until I see in person and folks like ACS don't have a better option.

On the Grand Sport that aero option like the C8 Ground Effects comes with a carbon fiber splitter. On the GS added and expensive splitter protector which has a few scrapes BUT protected the splitter! For the C8 won't need it with the "front lift option."

SIDEBAR
Note, although the GM Build-A-C8 shows that carbon fiber ground effects option in painted carbon flash finish for $1000 less (as it was for the GS) it is not currently listed as an option on the dealers order sheet. My guess, is like it was for the visible carbon fiber roof I ordered for my 2014 is they may need enough visible CF side skirts and splitters not meet QA visual standards before offering!

In 2014 it was stated the manufacturer of the CF roofs also made the visual CF roof. That requires careful hand layup and the CF cloth to have the pattern very uniform. The article said, IF the visible CF roof did not meet the QA standard the manufacturer could paint it and not have a wasted part! I validated that with my early order, September 2013 built C7 Z51! My car was delayed a few weeks in the dealrs order sequence because their were no visible CF roofs available. The sales manager who accompanied Rick Hendrick to Bowling Green to pick up his million dollar 1st C7 (he won in a Barret Jackson Charity Auction) validated the issue was meeting the GM QA standard. The painted C7 CF roof and hood are actually made with another process and are not hand laid cloth, which is why GM was able to use that lower cost product. BUT for the manufacturer it was an opportunity to sell a visibly defective "Visible CF Roof" by just delivering it primed and not scaping the part! No doubt they only got the lower price of the none visible roof in that case!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-22-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM
hanka
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jerry,

Many thanks for sharing all your thoughts with me. Plenty to digest here as I have a few more days to finalize my order.

Thanks again, Hank
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
FWIW for all making a decision on options, this is my experience with damage from pebbles thrown by tires on 5 DD Vettes. The C8 will be my 6th.

When I sold my 1988 and 1993 Vettes the one area that had marks from pebbles thrown up from the tires was the rear lower fender. When I ordered my 1998 C6 I also ordered aftermarket contoured splash guards painted the body color as I was determined not to have the rear panel dinged! It worked. All 3 Vettes did not have the more Coke bottle shape of the C7 so after 6 years the C6 rocker panels looked fine.

Ordered my C7 Z51, like the C8 before there was pricing. Pics showed that Coke bottle lower panel shape would be an issue. Did not know GM would add heavy plastic protection from the center between the wheels and up the front of the rear fender. They knew where the rocks would hit! Ordered the GM splash guards. They are small and after <month it was clear the front one were not stopping pebbles from hitting the rockers AND in front of the rear wheel well. Bought the LG Motorsports carbon fiber full length side skirts. They worked great. Removed the GM plastic (already discolored on the edges as well as marked from that 1st month. The rocker panels looked new after 3 1/2 years. The GM rear splash guards also stopped any marking BUT the rear panel is short and tucked in.

When I ordered the 2017 Grand Sport also ordered the Stage 2 Aero Option that comes with full length carbon fiber side shirts (not the standard GS 3/4 plastic skirts.) It also, like the C8, has a carbon fiber splitter. Posters said the ACS front splash guards, which are wider than the front OEM splash guards were the way to go. Bought those and at the time even ACS was selling the GM splash guards for the rear. Since they worked for my 2014 C7 Z51 I used those. After 2 1/2 years no rock dings!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

On the fence here. I was going with the 2LT but I really would like the all tan interior, only there on the 3LT. But for the money I may have to live with the 2 tone int.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 PM
dhTX87
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TKay
On the fence here. I was going with the 2LT but I really would like the all tan interior, only there on the 3LT. But for the money I may have to live with the 2 tone int.
not sure the Natural Dipped interior is the best bet for a daily driver, so my choice is the Natural interior with black carpet and lower surfaces.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TKay
Originally Posted by dhTX87
not sure the Natural Dipped interior is the best bet for a daily driver, so my choice is the Natural interior with black carpet and lower surfaces.
Thought the same when I bought the 3LT Kalahari 2014 C7. Prior 3 DD Vettes, an 1988, 1993 and 2008 C6 all had black interior. Had no issues with the light tan color. Did buy one inexpensive easy slip on seat cover I used when I worked on the car with coveralls! Other than that no more difficult to keep clean that prior Vettes.

I bought my white 2LT 2017 Grand Sport with red interior because GM got cheap and made the 3LT look like a "patchwork quilt," IMO! BUT GM hooked me with the even better than 2014 full color C8 interior.! Will use that slip on car cover as I did with the 2014 when I'm working on the car, like changing oil etc. First mod will be plush Lloyd's black floormats!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-24-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:22 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I love that int. Looks like I am going with the 3LT
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:35 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bgspot
^^^thats my interior right there. Currently have a 3lt and don't care about anything in it but the HUD. I'll be going bare bones with z51 this go round.
Is a HUD available on the C8?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:39 PM
tbs156
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
Standard on 2LT and 3LT
Old 10-24-2019, 07:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
Originally Posted by tbs156
Standard on 2LT and 3LT
Like the C7 HUD comes stdard with the 2 & 3LT AND NOT available as an option with the 1LT!

2LT is, as it was with the C7, the best value!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-24-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 1LT, 2LT or 3LT