Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:23 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

The US govt in the 1930s institutionalized combat between workers and management.

What should happen ( and should have happened years ago ) is all workers get a special class of common stock compensation, beginning after 12 months on the job, which would vest immediately and be protected in B/R. Stk value and div would tie workers to the company’s best interest. And, c-suite comp needs to be tied to company performance, not just stock performance, incl profits, mkt share, layoffs, etc.

I could write a dissertation about this, but won’t; however, the institutionalization of labor-management conflict has done the United States a tremendous disservice.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tennis & Golf Nut (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Metraman
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 44 Posts

How do most of the car plants down south manage without a union! Seems to me having dealt with the Autos up north for 40 years unions add a lot of cost to the builds.
Tennis & Golf Nut (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,226 Likes on 2,273 Posts

It was also reported this week only 8 Corvettes were built all week due to a worker slow down. Yet these workers had no problem pocketing a 40 hr paycheck. F unions.

Its this same union greed that has virtually every state on the hook for tens of billions of unfounded retirement liabilities for state workers.

Union motto should be; We happily screw every consumer and taxpayer because we are only in it for ourselves. The union seal should also include a picture of the middle finger.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Michael A (09-15-2019), Rapid Fred (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
It was also reported only 8 Corvettes were built all week due to a worker slow down.
can you provide a link?

Last edited by C8Jake; 09-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Jake

UAW will shut down 31 GM plants nationwide @midnite! "We're standing up for fair wages, affordable health care...we're standing up for job security for our members & their families"

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...in/2329491001/
I've been on both sides of the Fence, Union and Company.

My problem with the Union, is they protect the worthless workers, by not letting them be dismissed, for breaking Union/ Company agreement(s) on simple work habit agreements. If you violate work agreement over 3 times, the company should be able to fire you, and replace you with someone who will work like the other 80% do.

Affordable Health care, when the Affordable Health Care act was passed, as soon as Unions an Congress found out it was Garbage, congress agreed to allow Unions to keep their so called "Cadillac Plans" to buy their Votes, then Congress decided they were better, than the people, an they kept their free Cadillac Plan "On the backs of the rest of working Americans taxpayer's back also. The Non Union Working Americans, however had no choice but pay up so Unions, Politicians an poor people who couldn't afford health insurance could.

Well we all know how that's worked out for the Middle Class as for as health insurance being affordable for us. The poor can't afford it, AOC said she couldn't afford it, until she became a Congress Woman, who did not even anti up Fee that young people were suppose to pay if they didn't sign up for "Affordable Health Care". Now they say they need more money to help pay for their Cadillac Plan(s). So what happens, the rest of Us still have to pick up, along with them, the rise in cost of UN-Affordable Health Care.

Everyone should take a real good look at the so call health care Insurance Plans that are offered in your state, an Providers that will even provide a base plan. I can't blame people for not buying a Health Care Plan ". They are going to have to Bankrupt either way, loosing everything anyway.

Next time, if there is one for Union, Contract wise they will still be asking for money to help them pay for the same things they are willing to strike for now.

Why do Companies "Export Jobs"? A large part of that is, "In order to stay in Business, they have to be able to sell a Product we can afford, here, based on the income the average worker can afford, plus try an sell their products to those in other countries, not just American working class.

Their wages go up, more jobs are shipped out of country, Union or Otherwise. A lot of that is also caused by Management that thinks they know how to manage a business they really have no idea how it works internally.
They have a short term focus on Share Holders, but more important how much they can raise Company share price , so they can get themselves a bigger Pay increase, rather than focus on the future health of Company going forward for all concern.

If I were you, I'd not be worried about a Shut Down, because you want get a "Car" when you want, or even a price increase for it.

It's the Unions and Goverment not understanding that You/We the "Working and Non Working Taxpayers are becoming the new "Minority", if so who pays to keep our current Goverment being able to finance it's spending habits by selling more Bonds, we can't even afford to pay interest on without issuing more bonds...LOL

US is Broke! LOL Enjoy life while you can, me I'm looking for 5 of the biggest Box's I can find and a large Freeway Bridge to put them under for a nice size little home, rather than have to sleep in abandon buildings, alleyways, what ever with the less fortunate...LOL.

Live up on the bank and look down my nose at others...LOL

In all honesty, I thought I had learned that their are more People looking up their nose at some, than the Some looking down their noses at them...LOL May be it would be better to cancel my C8 order so a lot of people won't be looking up their noses at me.....

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:36 PM
JD ZR1
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

MaxieU2. You are in focus, and dead inside! I live in the great, union managed, debtor state of Illinois. Tax tax tax the people and soon they leave. I look forward to driving my C8 out of here....
roadking40 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Metraman
How do most of the car plants down south manage without a union! Seems to me having dealt with the Autos up north for 40 years unions add a lot of cost to the builds.
How? Its called southern "right to work states" ( right to work for less) = a race to the bottom...united we stand, divided we fall

Last edited by 449er; 09-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Czarvette (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,776 Likes on 3,185 Posts

While looking at terrible american unionized citizens are for the country check on illegals and the burden they place on all citizens annually. Especially healthcare. Its tremendous. In the 40% range loosely depending on which state and which study you check.

Over the last 30 40yrs which way you think that trend has gone?

Give it a rest. At a time unmatched in american history for the wealthiest few percent vs the rest.

Everyone prospered in the 50s when a company owner was making 15 to 50x their workers now they make 400x.. that decline began in the 60s and took a decade before the realization about what happened. We are back to the times of "land barons" and royalty. Don't kid yourself.

Lobbyists for big corps make it so. Term limits for government seats all of them long overdue.

And the bigger the union the more oversight is needed. Because those leaders are as corrupt as politicians being voted in to a spot.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-15-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
It was also reported this week only 8 Corvettes were built all week due to a worker slow down. Yet these workers had no problem pocketing a 40 hr paycheck. F unions.
Its this same union greed that has virtually every state on the hook for tens of billions of unfounded retirement liabilities for state workers.
Union motto should be; We happily screw every consumer and taxpayer because we are only in it for ourselves. The union seal should also include a picture of the middle finger.
I am disappointed, but not surprised, by some of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Prior to my current professional pursuits, I was a management-side labor lawyer, engaged in collective bargaining sitting across the table from unions, for over 30 years. Given my role as an advocate, spokesperson and advisor for employers for so many years, some may be surprised to hear me say that I believe unions play an important and necessary role in our country, and that a strong union movement is important in a representative democracy like ours. Yes, there is corruption sometimes, in a minority of cases -- on BOTH sides. It's easy to bash unions, especially when you're a successful retiree, business owner or manager with enough money to afford a vette. Try putting yourself in the position of the hourly-paid worker, and consider what your lifestyle would be, how would you pay your and your family's expenses, and what you would have to look forward to. Consider how much bargaining power you'd have, as an individual factory worker (whether skilled or unskilled), negotiating fair compensation and working conditions with a large powerful corporation, if you couldn't band together with fellow workers collectively to negotiate, and didn't have the right to withhold your labor as a group in order to have some leverage in the negotiating process. In this "me me me" society we seem to have become, it's easy to lose sight of the legitimate wants, needs, and challenges of other people -- and care only about whether your luxury sports car will be built for you when you want it (by the very guys whose quality work you depend upon and who deserve a little more respect than some are expressing in this thread). Some of their union leaders may be imperfect or worse, but please don't throw out the baby with the bath water -- there are fundamental principles of the right to fair expression, fair bargaining and fair treatment at stake here. That's why it has been the law of the United States since the 1930s that workers in private industry have the right to band together to form unions, to bargain collectively (including the right to strike), and to be treated fairly in that process.

When you feel like bashing the unions because employers are struggling to pay for obligations arising under their negotiated contracts with unions, remember that the employers had the federally guaranteed right to negotiate fairly, and to reject any union demand they felt they couldn't afford to pay. If a private employer says "no", is there a risk of strike? Of course. But employees, too, and unions, think long and hard before going out on strike, since they're taking a big risk, as well. And, regarding underfunded pensions for public employees: Behind every underfunded public pension plan is a group of politicians who didn't have the courage to say "no" to what the citizenry couldn't afford to pay, and wound up mortgaging everyone's future so they could get re-elected. Negotiations are a two-way street. When decent people sit on both sides, good results are the outcome.

Last edited by AviBen; 09-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by AviBen:
16falcon (09-15-2019), 23/C8Z (09-15-2019), Caustic... (09-15-2019), CorvettoBrando (09-16-2019), Czarvette (09-16-2019), dgerstel (09-15-2019), irok (09-16-2019), JALLEN4 (09-15-2019), RapidC84B (09-16-2019), RIC96 (09-16-2019), RidgeRunner0207 (09-16-2019), tail_lights (09-16-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

UAW workers should be pressing for the new Nafta. Its a huge boost to American workers in the Auto industry.

Will they?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Jake
anti-UAW?...take a stand against domestics & support imports
Good idea, top 15 most American made vehicles......

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-ch...can-made-index

Here is the full Top 15 list:

1 Jeep Cherokee Belvidere, Ill.

2 Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala.

3 Honda Ridgeline Lincoln, Ala.

4 Honda Passport Lincoln, Ala.

5 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green, Ky.

6 Acura MDX (non-hybrid) East Liberty, Ohio

7 Honda Pilot Lincoln, Ala.

8 Chevrolet Colorado Wentzville, Mo.

9 GMC Canyon Wentzville, Mo.

10 Acura RDX East Liberty, Ohio

11 Chevrolet Camaro Lansing, Mich.

12 Toyota Avalon (non-hybrid) Georgetown, Ky.

13 Ford F-150 Claycomo, Mo., & Dearborn, Mich.

14 Honda Accord (non-hybrid) Marysville, Ohio

15 Toyota Tundra San Antonio, Texas

Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
fire all striking employees

then hire people that want to work

tell the unions to f'k off

make CORVETTE/BG a separate company and hire non/union people
So, a corporation that got a $50 billion+ taxpayer bail out, failed to repay $11.8 billion, had record profits, paid no federal tax, and spent $20 billion on stock buybacks, dividends, and executive bonuses, should screw the workers as much as possible?

wtf is wrong with you?
The following 6 users liked this post by rrsperry:
449er (09-16-2019), golden2husky (09-16-2019), robertbruce (09-16-2019), TARANTULA (09-15-2019), Wyldfyer (09-16-2019), ZeeOSix (09-15-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:14 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
I am disappointed, but not surprised, by some of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Prior to my current professional pursuits, I was a management-side labor lawyer, engaged in collective bargaining sitting across the table from unions, for over 30 years. Given my role as an advocate, spokesperson and advisor for employers for so many years, some may be surprised to hear me say that I believe unions play an important and necessary role in our country, and that a strong union movement is important in a representative democracy like ours. Yes, there is corruption sometimes, in a minority of cases -- on BOTH sides. It's easy to bash unions, especially when you're a successful retiree, business owner or manager with enough money to afford a vette. Try putting yourself in the position of the hourly-paid worker, and consider what your lifestyle would be, how would you pay your and your family's expenses, and what you would have to look forward to. Consider how much bargaining power you'd have, as an individual factory worker (whether skilled or unskilled), negotiating fair compensation and working conditions with a large powerful corporation, if you couldn't band together with fellow workers collectively to negotiate, and didn't have the right to withhold your labor as a group in order to have some leverage in the negotiating process. In this "me me me" society we seem to have become, it's easy to lose sight of the legitimate wants, needs, and challenges of other people -- and care only about whether your luxury sports car will be built for you when you want it (by the very guys whose quality work you depend upon and who deserve a little more respect than some are expressing in this thread). Some of their union leaders may be imperfect or worse, but please don't throw out the baby with the bath water -- there are fundamental principles of the right to fair expression, fair bargaining and fair treatment at stake here. That's why it has been the law of the United States since the 1930s that workers in private industry have the right to band together to form unions, to bargain collectively (including the right to strike), and to be treated fairly in that process.

When you feel like bashing the unions because employers are struggling to pay for obligations arising under their negotiated contracts with unions, remember that the employers had the federally guaranteed right to negotiate fairly, and to reject any union demand they felt they couldn't afford to pay. If a private employer says "no", is there a risk of strike? Of course. But employees, too, and unions, think long and hard before going out on strike, since they're taking a big risk, as well. And, regarding underfunded pensions for public employees: Behind every underfunded public pension plan is a group of politicians who didn't have the courage to say "no" to what the citizenry couldn't afford to pay, and wound up mortgaging everyone's future so they could get re-elected. Negotiations are a two-way street. When decent people sit on both sides, good results are the outcome.

My uncle and dad worked union jobs for a couple years in the early 60s.

My dad once told me a story about how when he first started, he was on the floor wrenching a bolt down. Out of no where, an upper union management walked over to him, yanked the wrench out of his hand and threw it across the floor. They sent my dad home for the day and didn't tell him why.

The next day he was talked to by union management and said if they ever see him turning the wrench again faster than 1 time every 4 seconds that he would be let go. my dad said he laughed thinking they were joking, but they yelled at him and said they weren't joking; count in your head to 4 then turn the wrench, they said.

I remember another story my uncle told me. He said their floor sweeper went home sick for the day. Union policy stated that if the sweeper went home, you would have to ask the lowest rank person to fill in as the sweeper for the day. It also stated you had the right to turn down the role of filling in for the sweeper and going home for the day as well if you wanted. They went through 18 lower employees who all refused and went home.

The 19th employee was a lower ranked manager, so they decided not to ask him. Rules stated that if the union found someone to fill in, the people that went home wouldn't be paid for the day. However, if they stopped asking, then everyone was paid for the day that went home. Everyone knew just to refuse and they would be paid for not working. My uncle said this happened almost once a week for the 2 years he worked at his union.

My dad and uncle ended up quitting and went to serve in the military for 4 years. After they got out of the military they started a very successful business together.

Honest question... are unions still like this today?

Last edited by Chrjones2; 09-15-2019 at 07:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Chrjones2:
ArmchairArchitect (09-15-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (09-16-2019), Michael A (09-15-2019), Rapid Fred (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

I read that Toyota has a higher percentage of American made parts in their cars than any other manufacturer.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:33 PM
imaposer
Pro

Received 439 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrjones2
Honest question... are unions still like this today?
No. Not even close.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default And to think .......... She Assembles Corvettes

Wonder how she'll occupy herself with the lines shut down ?
ArmchairArchitect (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

These workers are a bunch of crybabies!
I’ve done the Bowling Green tour in the past and didn’t see a single task performed that couldn’t be taught to a high school auto tech “Vo-Tech” graduate in a week or two.
they don’t “build” cars any more, they pretty much just assemble parts.
They deserve 20-25 bucks an hour, not 50+.
ArmchairArchitect (09-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To GM Strike

Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

Now look at Japan's employment problem, no lifetime employment now.

Look at what Germany has done for years to keep as much as possible American produce vehicles out, while for years our markets where open to all car makers, without stiff import duties, are quantity of them. Why were we buying those cars? I know.

Then we got a little smarter and put them on Import Quotas unless they started assembling cars in US to provide jobs for us. I believe it was/is Honda that has more US produced parts in this country than any of the Big 3 Auto makers.

VW has a plant in town I call home. Other overseas companies that support them are building plants to supply VW with parts. Why, Mfg cost is lower, here, because of our natural resources, shipping cost, ect. It make "Just-in-Time supply line network workable.
Less parts restrains, if parts are produced in America and sometimes they cost less to make.

Visited a small Machine Shop in Mooresville NC couple of years ago that was able to beat a Chinese company in open bidding, by being able to produce arm an leg Pads for Workout equipment. Not only weres their parts cheaper, they are better quality, and company(s ) that needed parts, due to higher sales than forecast didn't have to wait 6-9 months to get them.

We can be competitive, when we want to be.

But again look were jobs are moving to, Right to Work State. Unions are Legal, except workers are not required to belong to them. I worked both sides of the Fence, Union and Company. Unions want all non salaried Employees to have to join the Union. If your a good employee you don't need protection to keep you from being let go. If there is a competitive market for workers, pay rises. It's not like it was when Union 1st formed here. They did a great job back then for workers rights an working conditions. Not so much today.

Japan has few natural resources, but even with cheaper Labor, they became less competitive in our market place, so hence having plants here makes them competitive. How many US Auto makers can even penetrate Japan's market, as they make it impossible to export cars to them.

GM in China, is partnered with there Goverment, so they can build cars there.

We use to be the Worlds largest Exporter of Goods, now we are the largest importer of Goods. Why, because we are destroying our MFG base.

No need to worry, it's happened before an long Overdue. We just barely dodged a bullet last time, Only time will tell if we make the same mistakes again.

But no need to worry, we have the Roosevelt Plan to fall back on, WPA. Work for Poor Americans. Wait, that want work either, unless a few are willing to work for the those that think they should be supported by the Goverment, who has no ability to make money, except by taking it from the few of the older generations that are still working to make ends meet, taking care of their grand Children...LOL Don't get me wrong, their are still young people that are willing to work to better themselves, but not enough. To many still rely on their parents for support.

Every wonder who will take care of their children. There parents? I don't think so...LOL

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-15-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Union are garbage. Fire the striking workers, move executive operations out of liberal states and hire the multitude of Americans hungry for a decent job.
The following 3 users liked this post by FringbirdAloha:
ArmchairArchitect (09-15-2019), Roscoe Primrose (09-16-2019), Shawn S (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:12 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn S
These workers are a bunch of crybabies!
I’ve done the Bowling Green tour in the past and didn’t see a single task performed that couldn’t be taught to a high school auto tech “Vo-Tech” graduate in a week or two.
they don’t “build” cars any more, they pretty much just assemble parts.
They deserve 20-25 bucks an hour, not 50+.
Which is about what they get paid but quoting lies works much better for those who don't take the time to learn the real truth.

Quick Reply: GM Strike