Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would NOT be interested in a Hybrid C8-how about you ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:37 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
If "old men" don't like new technology, why are so many of us here?
You sir, are a dumbass.
Great post Man, always entertaining to see a dumb *** get bitch slapped with logic.
The following 3 users liked this post by punky:
B747VET (08-30-2019), Bigredwing (08-29-2019), oregonsharkman (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't want no automatic transmission.
I don't want no fuel injection.
I don't want no disc brakes.
I don't want no hybrid.

They should make A RETRO version with a clutch, carburetor, and drum brakes! Then everyone would be happy!

Seriously though, our hybrid Avalon has performed flawlessly. Not sure Chevy can do it as reliably as Toyota, but hopefully they can.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:41 AM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,089 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by AT T 2D
I never thought I would enjoy a hybrid until I purchased an Acura RLX Sport Hybrid sedan last year. The only reason we purchased the Sport Hybrid is because certain features such as the surround view cameras and heads up display are only available on that model. It is similar to the drive train in the NSX, but naturally aspirated. A 3.5 liter transverse V6 up front with a 7 speed dual clutch transmission. There is one electric motor where the torque converter would normally be plus an additional one on each rear wheel. It is a fairly large sedan that my wife uses for her daily driver. She gets 30 MPG on both the highway and in the city. It seamlessly moves between V6 only, electric motors supplementing the V6, and electric motors only. The motors can both provide power and recover energy. In addition the one in the torque converter location seamlessly restarts the V6 when needed. Considering this isn't a serious sports sedan, the immediate torque to supplement the V6 is a blast, as is the torque vectoring from the rear wheels when cornering.
After you posted this, I think I need to drive a hybrid sports car first and experience it before knocking it. I think If I got behind the wheel of a hybrid sports car I would be talking differently. I think I need to experience the drive sensations of low electric torque before I continue blabbering.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

I am also an old man, 60 but love all cool cars, especially the new C8. Hold on, things are changing in the very near future when it comes to what we drive. GM has said recently that they will be all electric and make no bones about it. The C8 hybrid will be for some lucky people who can afford the price one hell of a car, 1000hp , all wheel drive and who knows how many speed DCT. Enjoy the ride now, gas engines thanks to our politicians will be a thing of the past, looks like the USA will lead the way to save our planet.....no mention of China as they get 65 percent of their electricity from coal and produce most of the batteries we are buying though.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
If "old men" don't like new technology, why are so many of us here?
You sir, are a dumbass.
Well it may be sacrilegious to say around here, but beyond the mag ride suspension, Corvettes aren't really known for being cutting edge technology in the sports car world. Maybe cutting edge compared to American muscle cars, but certainly not cutting edge compared to Euro and JDM sports cars. And if I recall right, the mag ride wasn't even originally a Corvette thing.

Even on the C8, there isn't really anything that hasn't been done before. As usual, they've just put it together at a price point no one else will go near and made it available to the masses.

Last edited by jefnvk; 08-29-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:50 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Hybrid tech has some pretty cool potential with simple motors, fewer moving parts, and especially the instant torque on tap. However, battery life and range have a decade or two more to go before they become as useful as internal combustion, especially to those who drive many miles at a time.

They are great to use as an extended range golf cart, the store, the office, etc. But if you drive long distances, or spend all day in your vehicle, their Achilles heel shows really quickly when it takes 1-4 hours to recharge and get on your way versus 2 minutes at the gas pump.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:52 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT SR
I am also an old man, 60 but love all cool cars, especially the new C8. Hold on, things are changing in the very near future when it comes to what we drive. GM has said recently that they will be all electric and make no bones about it. The C8 hybrid will be for some lucky people who can afford the price one hell of a car, 1000hp , all wheel drive and who knows how many speed DCT. Enjoy the ride now, gas engines thanks to our politicians will be a thing of the past, looks like the USA will lead the way to save our planet.....no mention of China as they get 65 percent of their electricity from coal and produce most of the batteries we are buying though.
Save the planet.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

I think that the term hybrid is being somewhat misused or understood in relation to any possible future C8 model. I don't see any internal combustion/electric propulsion vehicle in the Corvette line to be anything like what most everyday drivers perceive as a "hybrid", i.e. a Prius or any of the multitude of vehicles that have followed it. I believe it will be more like the power unit in a modern Formula 1 car without huge batteries or any type of plug-in capability. Rather the electric propulsion will be mostly a power adder to get Z06 or ZR1 performance, possibly without the gas guzzler tax. The ICE will continue to be the primary propulsion for any future C8 which will never run only via electric power.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Well it may be sacrilegious to say around here, but beyond the mag ride suspension, Corvettes aren't really known for being cutting edge technology in the sports car world. Maybe cutting edge compared to American muscle cars, but certainly not cutting edge compared to Euro and JDM sports cars. And if I recall right, the mag ride wasn't even originally a Corvette thing.

Even on the C8, there isn't really anything that hasn't been done before. As usual, they've just put it together at a price point no one else will go near and made it available to the masses.
Only because we refuse to recognize the technology advances we make. GMs magnetic shocks were so advanced Ferrari used them on their cars. GM has been a leader in auto transmissions for decades. They had some of the earliest airbags in mass produced cars. Early adoption of antilock brakes. Great advances in producing hydroformed chassis.

GM does not have as many patents as they do, for no reason.
ATC399 (09-06-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

My biggest issue with hybrids is the added weight. If all you like is acceleration in a straight line, fine, a hybrid is great. Personally, I like cars that are light, nimble, and fast.

I would be ok with something more like a KERS system, where it's a small battery intended just to give boosts of power for short times, but I suspect it will be a full hybrid.

Unless they've figured out a way to significantly reduce the weight I probably won't be interested.

Give me a Z06 with reduced weight, and a high revving NA flat plane V8. I would be all over that.

Last edited by FinsterforstFan; 08-29-2019 at 10:11 AM.
rb185afm (09-04-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:14 AM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,900 Likes on 993 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

We have a hybrid Pacifica minivan. In electric only mode, the thing flies, its quiet, handles better than our previous gas Pacifica and we get 36 miles of electric only. The power is instant when in electric mode. I could only imagine what a C8 would feel like with a hybrid option and the added HP it would bring. Would be all over it in a second.

Last edited by golddog; 08-29-2019 at 10:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by golddog:
msm859 (08-29-2019), thebishman (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I would absolutely embrace a hybrid Corvette! Imagine something like this, it's got a 500hp internal combustion engine, then a 300hp electric motor on top of that. It could be a plug in hybrid with a small range like the Volt, of maybe 50-60 miles, so if you wanted to you could go all electric when you're just driving around town or stuck in traffic. Then when you want the power, you've got 800hp at your disposal. It's the best of both worlds really!

Stuff like this is the wave of the future, so whether we like it or not it's coming. All of the whining from the New Balance/Jean Shorts crowd isn't going to stop it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patman:
fpfaeth (08-29-2019), StanleyTTU (08-30-2019), thebishman (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 939 Likes on 365 Posts

I think the tech is pretty cool (I'm an Aerospace Electrical Engineer = nerd) and it would be amazing to feel the mixed power of electric motors on the front wheels and 800+hp to the rear. I bet the acceleration times are going to be insane!

That being said, my car lust has always been for a high revving, light weight, mid engine sports car, so for me the LT6 ~ 600hp N/A version (call it Grand Sport or whatever) with as little weight as possible is where I'll put my money.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With AWD C8, it can be driven in pretty much any weather condition - in Northern climates and in rainy conditions like in Washington area in the winter time. Your C8 does not have to stored away for the winter month - December to April months. Plus you get the advantage of true AWD steering too!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Only because we refuse to recognize the technology advances we make. GMs magnetic shocks were so advanced Ferrari used them on their cars. GM has been a leader in auto transmissions for decades. They had some of the earliest airbags in mass produced cars. Early adoption of antilock brakes. Great advances in producing hydroformed chassis.

GM does not have as many patents as they do, for no reason.
I gave you Magride, even if that was a Caddy innovation that Corvette reused. Yes, they are top of the game at their ATs, but the C8 doesn't have one of those. They actually got airbags and ABS around the same time as the rest of the American manufacturers, and Corvette wasn't exactly in the forefront of adopting either. Heck, the C8 doesn't even have safety features that are standard on $20k econoboxes like AEB and lane departure warning.

I'm not saying they are bad or outdated cars, but they certainly aren't at the forefront of the technology curve.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:17 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
Yes old men don’t like new technology
77 & think the hybrid is a great idea. GM already has lots of experience with it; cuts down any potential risk.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:39 AM
GreggB
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a C-MAX Energi for a few years as an EV experiment. At the time I bought it my commute fit within its extremely limited EV range.

That experience was absolutely convincing that electrification of current ICE platforms is revolutionary. Long term EV only is the future but for now adding electric motors to ICE gives you dramatic improvements over ICE only. Though you'd never mistake a C-MAX for a sports car it never felt slow and drove as if it had far more displacement.

As impressive as the base C8 is the thing I am most excited about is the prospect of 918/La Ferrari level performance at an 80-90% discount only a decade later.
jefnvk (08-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I would NOT be interested in a Hybrid C8-how about you ?

Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 08-29-2019, 12:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
Hybrid tech has some pretty cool potential with simple motors, fewer moving parts, and especially the instant torque on tap. However, battery life and range have a decade or two more to go before they become as useful as internal combustion, especially to those who drive many miles at a time.

They are great to use as an extended range golf cart, the store, the office, etc. But if you drive long distances, or spend all day in your vehicle, their Achilles heel shows really quickly when it takes 1-4 hours to recharge and get on your way versus 2 minutes at the gas pump.

You are getting Hybrid and battery electric vehicles all mixed up.

You are describing a battery electric vehicle, and not a Hybrid.

Go read up on the Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I think you will be impressed and it's only a thousand bucks more than the ICE version of the Avalon. Quick payback as it's gas mileage is 43 city/44 highway.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,347 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I personally wouldnt have a purchase interest in a hybrid unless the system were very simplified. If the system were drivetrain integrated, replacing the starter (much like a first gen insight), and acting as a supplemental power source and/or turbo lag gap fill I'd be opened to it. If the system were directly integrated to the turbocharger, I'd DEFINITELY be into it. If the system is hub motors/awd, though I think it'd be great for the lineup, I personally would not be into it.

The front hub motors add a tremendous amount of unsprung weight and loss of steering feel, with added numbness. Not saying this isn't something engineers could think/design through, but just saying...no one has figured that out yet...even on NSX. Seeing the C8 go mid-engine, your really place the driver on the steering "axle" a lot more, and what should result with C8 is a MUCH enhanced driver feel and positioning approaching the corner, hitting the apex, etc. Last thing I would want, is something to negate that. Driving a car with a dead steering wheel is rough, and the C5/6 really required some work to get feel injected.

Quick Reply: I would NOT be interested in a Hybrid C8-how about you ?