Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette--price vs quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 02:08 PM
NoSoupForU
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 218 Posts

I just wasted 30 seconds of my life I can never get back. Thanks a lot!
The following 3 users liked this post by NoSoupForU:
ArmchairArchitect (08-29-2019), LuisZ51 (09-08-2019), MikeyTX (08-30-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:37 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,215 Likes on 6,019 Posts

Loved that video.... "We're American, We're Smart, We can do it better...."
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM
7kroadtrips
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The price is the reason I may buy this car with absolutely very little need for it as I have a fantastic car already. Quality does scare me a little also, but it seems like the most critical components, the Engine and DCT have much carry over. Tremec is also building clutch for 750 HP GT 500 Mustang, so that lessons my concern there as issues should come up first in that car. The LT2 is very similar in design to the LT1, possibly one of the most bullet proof engines in any modern sports car. Electronics and Suspension, well five plus years of testing and design, with an additional plethora of testing vehicles out and about currently should hopefully kill any annoying gremlins not yet spotted before production starts. Finally overall build quality, the amount of investment they are putting into the Bowling Green plant is incredible, I read it approaches 700million dollars with new paint facility, some automation advances and retooling. If you really check any modern manufacturing the differences in quality has shrunk substantially through the years. Off the top of my head, Lexus has enjoyed great quality reputations, usually around 70 to 80 issues per 100 cars. Don't want to throw a manufacturer under the bus, but mass produced low quality car these days might be 150 issues per 100 cars, so possibly double the Lexus, but still less then 2 issues per car even for the worst manufacturer while the Lexus most likely will have at least one issue per car built, not a dramatic difference in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:02 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I’m also worried about the quality for the price. That’s why I won’t order one now. Hopefully in the next year or two the prices on the C8 will skyrocket to well over 100 grand and then I will order one.
If the C8 does not top out at $250,000.00 I will not be buying.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
ArmchairArchitect (08-29-2019), LuisZ51 (09-08-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 03:19 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by C8broughtmeback
OP, this is something many on this forum are thinking too, but too afraid to admit. I am a former Corvette owner, and my C5 had a list of about 12 significant problems in 6 months (some laughable). I could not get rid of that car fast enough. Now, I am back because I find the C8 stunning and I trust GM will have gotten their quality control under....control. I am around 18 months from getting a C8, but I am putting my trust in GM and the information I get from this forum from many C8 owners.
It is rather hard to believe that you had a new Corvette and were plagued by TWELVE significant problems in only 6 months. I drove 2 different C5s for a number of years and never had a single problem with either of them. This sounds a lot like that troll "unhandled exception" who blew his hole on this forum for 2 months about a dozen terrible problems with his C7 ZR1 while virtually everyone else here loved theirs.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:30 PM
C8broughtmeback
Burning Brakes

Received 792 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
It is rather hard to believe that you had a new Corvette and were plagued by TWELVE significant problems in only 6 months. I drove 2 different C5s for a number of years and never had a single problem with either of them. This sounds a lot like that troll "unhandled exception" who blew his hole on this forum for 2 months about a dozen terrible problems with his C7 ZR1 while virtually everyone else here loved theirs.
Let me share three separate issues....perhaps they should be counted as one: two times my left side mirror broke off the stalk while folding it in. Once my right side mirror simply came off its stalk...have no idea how or why, but was driving with the side mirror hanging by the electrical wires. I will admit that one of my issues was not so much a problem with MY car, but with any C5 - water on the rear hatch would funnel directly to the rear speakers when you open the hatch. I can't speak to whether this changed in C5's beyond the first year. I am not an audiophile, but I cannot believe water on the speakers is a good thing or even a neutral thing.

Congratulations on your problem C5 experience. Calling somebody a troll on a forum like this is the easy way to dismiss anybody. I wish I still had the letter I sent to GM.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
03 SILVER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nobull
i have owned several corvettes over the years and i have a preorder for the c8; however, i am beginning to have reservations about the car, and i am interested to see how other forum members may feel. I feel the base price, $59.995 is to good to be true. Even the option list is priced very low in my opinion. How the hell can gm produce a car for this price when the competition (ferrari, lambos, mcclaren, etc) produces cars with the same styling, performance, mechanical features, etc for approximately a quarter of a million plus or minus? Except for the engine the car is radically new; ie, frame, subframe, new electrical architecture (can't wait to see the problems that arise from this) and last but not least a brand new dual clutch transmission from
tremic that has no history. Keep in mind that that the last mid engine that gm produced was the fiero, and that did not exactly go well. I am not knocking
the mid engine, but i have an increasing level of anxiety concerning this car. Do any of you have the same concerns concerning this car what might be like in the real world once the hoopla wears off? I realize this post may generate a slew of vindictive, snarky comments, but i am serious. This car is so radically different from all previous generations i am concerned.
yes yes yes.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

I don't think Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren et. al are the "competitions" for the C8. The only thing they have in common are most of their cars are mid engine, rear or AWD platform.

"Competition" implies they compete on price. The C8 is aimed squarely at the base Porsche 911 and Cayman/Boxsters. Those buying Ferraris, Lambos, Macs, AM, Lotus...etc, aren't cross shopping their exotics with a Corvette. They may ADD a Corvette to their staple, but I don't think anyone is going to trade in their "quarter million dollar" car for a base C8.

In that regard. If you compare the prices of base Cayman/Boxster and base 911, it's "only" about a $10,000-15,000 difference. Really, if Porsche can cram in a screaming Boxster 6 (or turbocharged Boxster 4) in a $70-90K car, why wouldn't GM be able to do so with cutting some corners on material and using a push-rod V8 that's likely going to be shared with hundreds of thousands of trucks and SUVs in their line-up?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting to read about people having problem with their Corvettes. I've had four [2002, 2004, 2008, and 2012] in the last 16 years. The only problem with any of them was a seeping oil pan gasket on the 08, and that was promptly repaired under warranty. Two of the four were tracked. I did not have nearly that good experience with two AMG's and a BMW. The two cars that were totally unreliable were both Toyota Priuses. I've owned my current DD for over three years, a Volt, and it's had not one issue. The same could be said for my previous DD, a Ford C-Max Energi, and these were both very complex cars.

I wouldn't have a single concern buying a C8 now, but I still have almost three years factory warranty on my F-Type R so it'll probably be a couple of years. So far it's been problem free, but never own a Jaguar w/o the factory warranty.
The following users liked this post:
faldoc (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Maybe you should consider how all those exotics manufacturers have sold their products for way more than they cost to build as well as do not use the most efficient and effective manufacturing techniques.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Nobull
I have owned several Corvettes over the years and I have a preorder for the C8; however, I am beginning to have reservations about the car, and I am interested to see how other forum members may feel. I feel the base price, $59.995 is to good to be true. Even the option list is priced very low in my opinion. How the hell can GM produce a car for this price when the competition (Ferrari, Lambos, McClaren, etc) produces cars with the same styling, performance, mechanical features, etc for approximately a quarter of a million plus or minus? Except for the engine the car is radically new; ie, frame, subframe, new electrical architecture (can't wait to see the problems that arise from this) and last but not least a brand new dual clutch transmission from
Tremic that has no history. Keep in mind that that the last mid engine that GM produced was the Fiero, and that did not exactly go well. I am not knocking
the mid engine, but I have an increasing level of anxiety concerning this car. Do any of you have the same concerns concerning this car what might be like in the real world once the hoopla wears off? I realize this post may generate a slew of vindictive, snarky comments, but I am serious. This car is so radically different from all previous generations I am concerned.
Please bail on your pre order. That will move move my build up by one !
Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

You spin the wheel of chance coming out of pocket $70K, to $85K, for a new 2 seater sports car. Some of you guys are just worry warts. Are you waiting for someone to give you a new C8?

Kristsakes, if you're in the market to blow $75Large, quit belly aching about it. You're in the Big League, financially. Quit bleating already.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-30-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I get the concern, plus if you stay on these forums long enough you will get scared to buy a C8 because it’s not the Holly Grail C7 manual. I owned two C7 one was a 14 Z51 and a 15 Z06, both first year production cars with low vin numbers that only had a headliner issue that flew off and hit me in the head. I sold the Z06 3 months later for a Audi R8. IMO GM should have planned the release a little better & had these cars in magazines hands before the first customers orders gets placed. This is a completely different car with all new technology, I guess the good news your on the ground not in the air and it’s not like Boeing’s building the car.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-30-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:37 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You spin the wheel of chance coming out of pocket $70K, to $85K, for a new 2 seater sports car. Some of you guys are just worry warts. Are you waiting for someone to give you a new C8?

Kristsakes, if you're in the market to blow $75Large, quit belly aching about it. You're in the Big League, financially. Quit bleating already.
Sheeet ................ You know that an't gonna happen anytime soon !
Old 08-31-2019, 08:59 PM
johniew398
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I have owned several Corvettes over the years and I have a preorder for the C8; however, I am beginning to have reservations about the car, and I am interested to see how other forum members may feel. I feel the base price, $59.995 is to good to be true. Even the option list is priced very low in my opinion. How the hell can GM produce a car for this price when the competition (Ferrari, Lambos, McClaren, etc) produces cars with the same styling, performance, mechanical features, etc for approximately a quarter of a million plus or minus? Except for the engine the car is radically new; ie, frame, subframe, new electrical architecture (can't wait to see the problems that arise from this) and last but not least a brand new dual clutch transmission from
Tremic that has no history. Keep in mind that that the last mid engine that GM produced was the Fiero, and that did not exactly go well. I am not knocking
the mid engine, but I have an increasing level of anxiety concerning this car. Do any of you have the same concerns concerning this car what might be like in the real world once the hoopla wears off? I realize this post may generate a slew of vindictive, snarky comments, but I am serious. This car is so radically different from all previous generations I am concerned.
I have thought about all that but GM has always been good standing behind their warranties so I am not concerned.

And yes I also think the pricing is reasonable. Mine prices out at $106 but my wife''s SL550 was $120k, my 2009 ZR1 was 120K and both my Viper were $120k so this C8 is a deal.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

In my opinion, the 59,999 is a come-on. The price will go up quickly, as will option pricing. They may lose money on early units.

I was at NCM this week and talked to several of Chev’s team members. For what it is worth, they know they need to come out of the box clean and well.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Received 489 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I’m also worried about the quality for the price. That’s why I won’t order one now. Hopefully in the next year or two the prices on the C8 will skyrocket to well over 100 grand and then I will order one.
In a year or two they will drop by $10k and will have a good portion of the bugs worked out and they will add some features. You will also see barely used fully loaded ones sitting on the lot that someone paid $100k+ for with ADM being sold for $60k.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette--price vs quality

Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Originally Posted by johniew398
I have thought about all that but GM has always been good standing behind their warranties so I am not concerned.

And yes I also think the pricing is reasonable. Mine prices out at $106 but my wife''s SL550 was $120k, my 2009 ZR1 was 120K and both my Viper were $120k so this C8 is a deal.
More power to you. I would never pay $106k for a base Corvette but if you have the financial resources to not worry about the huge hit then go for it!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:05 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Originally Posted by Outlaw7
Interesting to read about people having problem with their Corvettes. I've had four [2002, 2004, 2008, and 2012] in the last 16 years. The only problem with any of them was a seeping oil pan gasket on the 08, and that was promptly repaired under warranty. Two of the four were tracked. I did not have nearly that good experience with two AMG's and a BMW. The two cars that were totally unreliable were both Toyota Priuses. I've owned my current DD for over three years, a Volt, and it's had not one issue. The same could be said for my previous DD, a Ford C-Max Energi, and these were both very complex cars.

I wouldn't have a single concern buying a C8 now, but I still have almost three years factory warranty on my F-Type R so it'll probably be a couple of years. So far it's been problem free, but never own a Jaguar w/o the factory warranty.
I have had four C7 Corvettes. All but one had major issues. Don't get me wrong I like my current 2018 Carbon 65 Z06 a lot however even in that car it took GM nearly 3 months to fix the clutch. I also had a 2016 F-Type and only had one minor issue with it.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:39 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-quality.html

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette--price vs quality