Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Visibility?

(I didn't find much with Search)

For those who have sat in the car with the doors closed and top installed, how is the outward visibility in different directions?
Out the sides and back. Over your shoulders for lane changes. Over the nose. Upward through the top of the windshield. Etc.

The C7 was a step backward from the C6 for outward visibility, did they fix that with the C8 or did it get worse?
I'm sure you can see enough out of the C8 to drive around a track or around town; but for GT use, enjoying the scenery is half the fun.
When we sat in a loner Camaro, my wife immediately informed me that she hated the "driving a tank" visibility and would never accept one in our garage.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-26-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
(I didn't find much with Search)

For those who have sat in the car with the doors closed, how is the outward visibility in different directions?
Out the sides and back. Over your shoulders for lane changes. Over the nose. Upward through the top of the windshield. Etc.

The C7 was a step backward from the C6 for outward visibility, did they fix that with the C8 or did it get worse?
I'm sure you can see enough out of the C8 to drive around a track or around town; but for GT use, enjoying the scenery is half the fun.
When we sat in a loner Camaro, my wife immediately informed me that she hated the "driving a tank" visibility and would never accept one in our garage.
Forward visibility in a ME is a lot better than most FE,s. The far side and rear visibility could be a problem, just get the camera mirror and that should resolve it.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

These are problems with many modern performance cars. Knowing how to properly adjust the side mirrors is a skill set of its own. That being said, the visibility in all C8 quadrants is actually quite good, especially using the TV camera.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Forward visibility in a ME is a lot better than most FE,s. The far side and rear visibilitty could be a problem, just get the camera mirror and that should resolve it.
The above suggested remedies may be good ones, IF you want to pop/pay for the 2LT vs. the 1LT---the camera mirror is not available in 1LT. There's also no stand-alone option to buy the "camera mirror" which is rooftop mounted cam shooting a wider range of left to right, but esp. right side and rear. It displays in the rearview mirror as said above.

My biggest issue is the above cam could be a standard for all levels, or at least an option purchase separately. Currently, it isn't but may become one in later years. To me, without that camera view it is a viewing and safety issue.

Looking at the far side of the car and back is problematic, as it may have been to some in the C7. The C8, with even more solid bodywork from the B-pillar to the bottom edge of the hatch glass, it could be a real issue to see along the right side and back from the end of car.

Will the longer "stem" of the passenger side mirror help? Maybe. Would a passenger side, bottom-of-mirror cam along the right side have helped? Very likely.

I guess we'll have to see what happens next.

Last edited by AORoads; 08-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:33 AM
FN in MT
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 196 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-golliff.html

Read the first part of this article, the Engineer goes into visibility a bit. States it's GOOD.

Then again, he could have worked on the new Camaro's.

Last edited by FN in MT; 08-26-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the replies.
Understanding that the cameras and sensors can give us a car that’s safe to drive, I want a GT where I can enjoy the world around me in real vision, not just watch it on TV.

For me, that means side and forward vision, up and down. What’s behind me is ok to watch on a screen.

Waiting for for my chance to sit in one...
Old 08-26-2019, 09:15 AM
ScottWood
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

It seams in order to meet price target, some things get left off. if they added several more options to the base, then people would complain it is too expensive for base model. It becomes an incentive for buyers to jump to 2LT if they have to have a camera.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I did not like my C7 Z06 green-house view compared to my Audi R8. The long front hood was too long and were my eyes spent 90% of the time while driving. Most of the ME's I have owned you don't have these issues. If safety is a concern you need to spend the extra money on the 2LT, this concept is no different than any other vehicle you purchase.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I want a GT where I can enjoy the world around me in real vision.
Really? Then you must be the guy changing lanes and making turns without checking your mirrors. After all a reflection wouldn't be real vision...

Have you considered one of these?

The following users liked this post:
1776DAVE (08-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Ha ha
As I mentioned in post #6; cameras/sensors/mirrors can do a fine job of keeping you safe, but are no fun for enjoying the view.
We would definitely buy the 2LT package just for its other features.

I did see a post here where someone said he had sat in a C8 and the visibility over the nose was not as good as some other mid engine cars. Not very specific.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Visibility?

Quick Reply: Visibility?