Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competition seat quality issue?? Disheartening to say the least

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

On my 14 Stingray.. the center console top was too soft and your elbow left impressions on it. They fixed that in the next year.... Hopefully they catch this now and "stiffen up" the edge to handle a little more abuse..
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
LOL Good Lord do you know how many Fat Old Men have schrunched that thing down who had to have help getting in and out? For that matter Fat Young Men and Ladies as well! There you go and who knows if it was made from production materials.

Sounds as if the answer is that each Chevy dealer places a bathroom scale at the front door and anyone that weighs over 150 pounds and wearing a 31 inch waist or larger pair of jeans, is not allowed to purchase a new C8 as they will be on a large public forum in 6 months bitching about all the wrinkles in the seats if they weigh 215 pounds and has a 38" waist..

The fat asses will be directed over to the salesperson that specializes in BEV minivans.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-17-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Not to be negative, but have you seen the amount people getting in and out of these cars, some need weight watchers, unfortunately Ferrari and the others just don’t have the same amount of traffic during their new car release events. I was told the seat pan Is more narrow especially on the GT2 and GT3 seats. I recommend people test fit it before buying if at all possible. The other issue you have many people just trying to see if they can fit in the car with some just being way to big, tall or large by I mean too wide. I know weight is an issue that many battle with, I just road my bike for 10 miles in 100 degree heat and battle the bulge everyday. It’s not easy as I love food. After that stupid wedding cruise I went on I could lose about 15 lbs and I worked out every day WTF if I did not.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
Racer86 (08-19-2019), Z51VetteFan (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Sounds as if the answer is that each Chevy dealer places a bathroom scale at the front door nd anyone that weighs over 150 pounds and wearing a 31 inch waist or larger pair of jeans on, is not allowed to purchase a new C8 as they will be on a large public forum in 6 months bitching about all the wrinkles in the seats if they weigh 215 pounds and has a 38" waist..
No BUT if you are old, fat or both and cannot get out of the seat properly buy a Cadillac! Do not blame GM for not compromising the way the competition seat SHOULD be built just because it is not made for Fat Geezers! This car was not intended for them. Good Lord--as a great person once said in a movie...

Old 08-17-2019, 11:03 AM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I can deal with that seat if they will just tear down the wall. Pat
Z51VetteFan (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Jake_The_Pit
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a seat that has seen 1,000 asses and had 1/2 of them sitting with the door open and their left leg outside of the car.
Z51VetteFan (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
On my 14 Stingray.. the center console top was too soft and your elbow left impressions on it. They fixed that in the next year.... Hopefully they catch this now and "stiffen up" the edge to handle a little more abuse..
I agree with everyone, I just thought I would point it out. I definitely know way too many people have gotten in and out of it. And there are those people that probably should buy a Cadillac. For the people that are on the fence about whether or not the seats hold up. Maybe this is a production spec seat. And this is the performance textile seat fabric.

And my 15’ has the arm rest bunched as we speak.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
No BUT if you are old, fat or both and cannot get out of the seat properly buy a Cadillac! Do not blame GM for not compromising the way the competition seat SHOULD be built just because it is not made for Fat Geezers!
Funny story: I was at Carlisle in 2013 when GM brought the C7s down to show them off for the first time. At one point, I happened to be standing near one of the GM engineers while a very rotund individual was bending his ear about seats. He mentioned something about the Competition Seat; this clearly was a poser who just wanted to own the fully optioned out car. The engineer deftly said, "You probably wouldn't be comfortable in that."

I had to turn and walk away because I was giggling too much.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
WalterSobchak (08-18-2019), Z51VetteFan (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:27 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Perfection costs money. Many people here seem to expect perfection and a low price. Still looking for that $60,000 GT2 RS.
A fair point, however there are certain things that should be basic expectations with any automobile. Seats that don't deform, bolstering on armrests and pressure points that hold their shape, interior trim that stays tacked to its surface, paint that doesn't bubble and chip. I expect that from a 20k dollar KIA. People said the same stuff defending the C7 "what a bargain it is," "find me another car under 100k with 650hp," "other cars have issues too."

Its all deflecting and shifting the conversation away from the simple fact that GM can do better. They managed to fix the armrest foam issue without driving up the cost of the C7. I think if they'd invest a bit more effort into QA/QC then you would have really not much to throw at the vette at all. People expect to forgoe certain features for bragain performance. What riles em up is people insinuating they should sacrifice quality level.

Hoping its just all the fat butts smashing em up in exhibitions and its not a production issue. All I'm saying is don't be shocked if we encounter things like this ya know?
Reciprocal (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,759 Likes on 2,133 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 08-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaBum
A fair point, however there are certain things that should be basic expectations with any automobile. Seats that don't deform, bolstering on armrests and pressure points that hold their shape, ...........
Hoping its just all the fat butts smashing em up in exhibitions and its not a production issue. All I'm saying is don't be shocked if we encounter things like this ya know?
The best way to make seats that don’t deform is to make them from sheet aluminum. Problem solved! Except that people complain that the surfaces are too hard and need to be soft touch.

Have none of you purchased home furniture? The best wearing sofas are not the most comfortable. The most sumptuous sofas are not the best wearing. The most comfortable sofas when you first sit in them will give you a sore back or be hard to get out of after watching a two hour movie.

if you use something a lot, and slide over and press down on it, overtime it will show wear, unless it is made of diamond. A diamond seat would be expensive and uncomfortable.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:14 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Do I really need to add "seats that don't deform within a reasonable number of years from purchase" to that for you to know I'm talking about reasonable expectations and not "they need to be perfect forever?"

Chatting with people on here is like arguing with my wife sometimes. Have to spell everything out perfectly or the pedantry comes out.
Reciprocal (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Do I really need to add "seats that don't deform within a reasonable number of years from purchase" to that for you to know I'm talking about reasonable expectations and not "they need to be perfect forever?"

Chatting with people on here is like arguing with my wife sometimes. Have to spell everything out perfectly or the pedantry comes out.
And we thought you would realize that seats that are entered and exited 30-100 times more a day than a normal Corvette would show more than normal wear. Entered and exited by people that don’t know how to do it effectively and don’t care about damaging the seats because they don’t own the car. Clearly you don’t get that.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM
TorkN8R
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
I’m not even going to comment on it. The picture speaks for itself. Maybe they will catch this on their quality checkup, and fix it before production?

On a side note, that’s the suede interior package you can select next to the dual color seat option, in the configurator.

Yikes! That’s not good! Well...$62,000 with GT3 seats right?
Z51VetteFan (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer X
And we thought you would realize that seats that are entered and exited 30-100 times more a day than a normal Corvette would show more than normal wear. Entered and exited by people that don’t know how to do it effectively and don’t care about damaging the seats because they don’t own the car. Clearly you don’t get that.
Clearly I do since my first or second post in here I said that it could be a pre-production issue and that I hope its just getting smashed at exhibitions rather than a production issue.

Last edited by NinjaBum; 08-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not a C8 that's going to the crusher in a few months or so. jmo
I hope they ave one mule an put it in the Museum.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:49 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Clearly I do since my first or second post in here I said that it could be a pre-production issue and that I hope its just getting smashed at exhibitions rather than a production issue.
Ok, thanks for the warning, but why keep going on about it?

All choices are compromises. A good heavy woven fabric or heavy vinyl, or thick leather (think saddle) over a closed cell foam will hold up the best, but won’t be the most comfortable.

I wonder what a Ferrari seat looks like after 100,000 fat people have gotten in and out of it? We will never know because they don’t get used that much.

Get notified of new replies

To Competition seat quality issue?? Disheartening to say the least

Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Perfection costs money. Many people here seem to expect perfection and a low price. Still looking for that $60,000 GT2 RS.
I don't know what happened to this seat or if it's a production model or if it was abused or whatever but I do know, with prices starting at $60K, the C8 is not a low priced vehicle and its quality should be compared to other vehicles at this price point, not to exotics costing much more. This sets the bar quite high and there is no reason why GM should not get over it other than it just hasn't learned how. At $60K and up, there's more than enough to deliver high quality design, materials and workmanship. We shall see; I am optimistic.

Last edited by BobRBob; 08-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 AM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-18-2019, 01:36 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer X
Ok, thanks for the warning, but why keep going on about it?

All choices are compromises. A good heavy woven fabric or heavy vinyl, or thick leather (think saddle) over a closed cell foam will hold up the best, but won’t be the most comfortable.

I wonder what a Ferrari seat looks like after 100,000 fat people have gotten in and out of it? We will never know because they don’t get used that much.
IDK, maybe pent up irritation from the C7? Hoping if people are grumbly enough they will make sure to take more care with what they field in this model? *shrug*

Quick Reply: Competition seat quality issue?? Disheartening to say the least