Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 suspension vs Z51 w/MSRC

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I posed this question to the GM rep at a recent reveal. He said the difference between Z51 with MRC and without is "imperceptible." I ordered Z51 without it. I like a stiff ride and so does my wife
I think there may have been a miscommunication there.....

If the statement is true, it is a definite departure from previous Z51 generations.

The statement would make more sense if the comparison was between the ride of a non-Z51 and a Z51 with MSRC in Tour.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 08-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I posed this question to the GM rep at a recent reveal. He said the difference between Z51 with MRC and without is "imperceptible." I ordered Z51 without it. I like a stiff ride and so does my wife
I don't think I'd trust what a GM rep on those road shows says anymore than I would the average dealer salesperson, but OK.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Boiler_81 (08-12-2019), RapidC84B (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think I'd trust what a GM rep on those road shows says anymore than I would the average dealer salesperson, but OK.
Don't disagree with you at all on that. Just relaying his response. I'm going with the Z51 without the MRC. I have MRC on my C7 Z and it's a great handling and riding car. I've had Z51's in the past with and without MRC. Very slight difference. I ordered a bare bones, 1LT, Z51, C8 to keep it light and cheap. It should be interesting. Planning to move to the Z when it arrives anyway.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Get mag ride.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
The MRCS does more than just make the suspension adjustable. It is constantly evaluating road conditions and adjusting for them. And it adds Performance Traction Management.
I'm a fan of MRCS and wouldn't get a Z51 without it but don't get it just for resale value. If you don't plan on making use of it's abilities then don't get it. Your car will sell fine if you lower the price by the amount you saved.
With all due respect you are confused. MRCS is a “suspension” system, you might be confusing it with a “drive mode”/Drive modes adjust a bunch of aspects of the way the car responds to you.
The exhaust note, transmission shifting pattern, electronic throttle control, electronic slip-diff, chassis rigidity, steering feel, and traction control to name a few.

They all work together to give you and “altered” driving experience. The MRCS in short is made up of fluid with metal magnetized iron particles in a synthetic hydrocarbon oil that react to voltage and attain different states of viscosity, Altering the strength of the current results in an instantaneous change in force of the piston.If the sensor arrays that are on each wheel sense any body roll, they communicate the information to the ECU. The ECU will compensate for this by changing the strength of the current to the appropriate dampers.
Again, no disrespect... started with a base C7 in 14, graduated to 16’ Z51 pkg. w/ MRCS and then added the 3rd gen DSC controller that allowed you to port your own settings via WiFi. Do I track .... nope .. but I have always been fascinated by the tech... and having had it in these cars it’s “real world” results when I daily drive my corvettes is significantly perceptible.
Just my experience ... hope it helps

Last edited by bbrown450; 08-12-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bbrown450
With all due respect you are confused. MRCS is a “suspension” system, you might be confusing it with a “drive mode”/Drive modes adjust a bunch of aspects of the way the car responds to you.
The exhaust note, transmission shifting pattern, electronic throttle control, electronic slip-diff, chassis rigidity, steering feel, and traction control to name a few.

They all work together to give you and “altered” driving experience. The MRCS in short is made up of fluid with metal magnetized iron particles in a synthetic hydrocarbon oil that react to voltage and attain different states of viscosity, Altering the strength of the current results in an instantaneous change in force of the piston.If the sensor arrays that are on each wheel sense any body roll, they communicate the information to the ECU. The ECU will compensate for this by changing the strength of the current to the appropriate dampers.
Again, no disrespect... started with a base C7 in 14, graduated to 16’ Z51 pkg. w/ MRCS and then added the 3rd gen DSC controller that allowed you to port your own settings via WiFi. Do I track .... nope .. but I have always been fascinated by the tech... and having had it in these cars it’s “real world” results when I daily drive my corvettes is significantly perceptible.
Just my experience ... hope it helps
Yes, I'm familiar with MSRC (I also have a DSC controller). I was trying to convey that the MSRC is more than setting the shock to a certain firmness setting. The system will react to the various sensor inputs and dynamically adjust the shocks within milliseconds.
My comment about Performance Traction Management was in reference to the fact that the Z51 package without MSRC does not have PTM. You need to check the box for the FE4 suspension to get PTM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Yes, I'm familiar with MSRC (I also have a DSC controller). I was trying to convey that the MSRC is more than setting the shock to a certain firmness setting. The system will react to the various sensor inputs and dynamically adjust the shocks within milliseconds.
My comment about Performance Traction Management was in reference to the fact that the Z51 package without MSRC does not have PTM. You need to check the box for the FE4 suspension to get PTM.
Big fan of it just wanted to put out what I know about the system and my experience with it for those that care ... many “AHA” MOMENTS, great system, great value !!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a demonstration of Performance Traction Management.

The following users liked this post:
Shaka (09-16-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

I have a Z51 without mag ride and I’ve never found it too stiff riding. It’s a high performance sports car not a Lexus sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCV:
9157 (08-17-2019), RapidC84B (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 AM
DanC5
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV
I have a Z51 without mag ride and I’ve never found it too stiff riding. It’s a high performance sports car not a Lexus sedan.
MSRC provides an even higher level of performance. Happens to be capable of a more comfortable ride too.
blkvet6 (09-19-2020)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Mag ride means you have softer rate springs. Not a fan! Through the magic of tech, you are asking dampers to make the springs a higher rate....
Shaka (08-16-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 AM
solotronics
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

To really unlock the potential of the mag dampers there will be a DSC Sport aftermarket controller. This is an ecu for the suspension that takes input from all the other parts of the var including steering angle, pedals, MPH, acceleration, lateral Gs and comes up with suspension settings dynamically. These are amazing on Porsches and the C7 and are a huge upgrade. It makes for a softer ride when cruising that automatically stiffens when you take corners. Also, there are tables where you can do your own suspension tuning if you are inclined.
glacierbrew907 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by GeauxTigers1
This brings up a good point, if I like a ride that is a bit rough and feel every groove in the road (it won’t be a daily driver) do I really need mag ride? Mag ride only adjusts the different levels between sport, track, and touring right? It doesn’t do anything in real time during a corner that helps with active handling correct? It just makes the suspension “adjustable.”

Bc if thats the case, I think I’m going to forgo the mag ride. Sure people say resale will be better but honestly I don’t wanna ever sell this thing!
You make a good point. Magnetic ride tunes out all of those little bumps that help you feel the road through the steering wheel and chassis. In my opinion, magnetic ride numbs out the feel of the car.

I think if you want a raw, sports car feel, just forgo the magnetic ride because you won't need it. The FE3 Z51 suspension is nice and stiff but not harsh. (On the C7, at least)

But if you want to use the car as a touring machine, magnetic ride does a great deal to smooth out the feel of the car. I get the feeling that MOST of the members of this forum are more interested in having a nice soft Buick-like ride 90% of the time, with the option to stiffen up the ride for back road cruises.

Magnetic ride is great....but there are lots of fan boys on this page who make it out to be more than it really is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy346:
capevettes (08-13-2019), Shaka (08-16-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by solotronics
To really unlock the potential of the mag dampers there will be a DSC Sport aftermarket controller. This is an ecu for the suspension that takes input from all the other parts of the var including steering angle, pedals, MPH, acceleration, lateral Gs and comes up with suspension settings dynamically. These are amazing on Porsches and the C7 and are a huge upgrade. It makes for a softer ride when cruising that automatically stiffens when you take corners. Also, there are tables where you can do your own suspension tuning if you are inclined.
It will be interesting to see if the new electronics architecture will allow for an aftermarket suspension controller on the C8. DSC may have a challenge on their hands. It took them a while to sort out the later changes on the C7.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Ditto, on the DSC Sport Controller for MSRC. It is a remarkable upgrade. It will be interesting to see if the V4 version is compatible w/ the C8. 18 and 19MY C7s got electronic upgrades and CANBUS changes that gave DSC headaches, but they ultimately figured it out. It worked, but wouldn't allow going into PTM modes as I found on my car, but all is working perfectly now. I'm hoping those late C7 changes transferred to the C8 and that the V4 will be plug and play.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Ditto, on the DSC Sport Controller for MSRC. It is a remarkable upgrade. It will be interesting to see if the V4 version is compatible w/ the C8. 18 and 19MY C7s got electronic upgrades and CANBUS changes that gave DSC headaches, but they ultimately figured it out. It worked, but wouldn't allow going into PTM modes as I found on my car, but all is working perfectly now. I'm hoping those late C7 changes transferred to the C8 and that the V4 will be plug and play.
I suspect even the V4 won't be usable in the C8. Even if the mounting and physical connection is the same the C8 is the guinea pig for the new GM electrical architecture with more security measures. Depending on how integrated the suspension controller is with other systems there may be security measures to overcome.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,202 Likes on 6,012 Posts

I had a C7 Z51 FE3 (non mag). It was firm, but not objectionable. That said, I'm getting mag ride this time as it's better at both ends of the spectrum. It's more comfortable on a road trip in tour mode and more capable on track in track mode. That's the beauty of the mag ride; expanding the performance envelope.

Now, the mag cars, at least in the C7, did have softer springs. That's the only way to make the car ride better in touring modes. They make up for it with the shocks and swaybars.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 suspension vs Z51 w/MSRC

Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by efranzen
Here is a demonstration of Performance Traction Management.

https://youtu.be/e9RVZkjZkek
Nice video... been tracking and instructing in these cars nearly 20 years. This kind of tech is neat, but it sucks for real learning. You need to learn throttle modulation to drive a high power RWD car well. If you just mash it off every corner you're not learning anything. You see this often with the Z06s on track... people just floor it and expect PTM to do the work. When the car steps out they have no reflex skill to save it and around they go; often times crashing.

I would never tell a student to run stuff off (I don't want the liability), but I do point out where and how it's masking reality.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Nice video... been tracking and instructing in these cars nearly 20 years. This kind of tech is neat, but it sucks for real learning. You need to learn throttle modulation to drive a high power RWD car well. If you just mash it off every corner you're not learning anything. You see this often with the Z06s on track... people just floor it and expect PTM to do the work. When the car steps out they have no reflex skill to save it and around they go; often times crashing.

I would never tell a student to run stuff off (I don't want the liability), but I do point out where and how it's masking reality.
I don't track my car but I enjoy canyon carving. I haven't used PTM much since I haven't had a chance to fully explore it in an environment where I feel it would be safe. After years of driving I just can't overcome my instinct to not mash the throttle coming out of a corner. And I worry about screwing up thinking I have PTM engaged but don't (I hope the C8 personalization settings will allow PTM to be engaged when the car is restarted).
Old 08-13-2019, 11:14 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I don't track my car but I enjoy canyon carving. I haven't used PTM much since I haven't had a chance to fully explore it in an environment where I feel it would be safe. After years of driving I just can't overcome my instinct to not mash the throttle coming out of a corner. And I worry about screwing up thinking I have PTM engaged but don't (I hope the C8 personalization settings will allow PTM to be engaged when the car is restarted).
PTM is on by default I believe? I.e. you drive in the default tour and/or sport modes it's part of the TCS/AH systems, no?

I think the PTM sub-menu in track mode is just allowing you to refine it to do the bare minimum on track. I could be wrong. In my C7 you had to be very deliberate to turn all the nannies off on track. You had to hold down the TCS button for 6-7 seconds until both lights came on the dash. You couldn't do that by accident. My C7 was a non-mag car so no PTM. I always tracked it with everything off.

Quick Reply: Z51 suspension vs Z51 w/MSRC