Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 a waste of money ?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by DanC5
For me, a Corvette is all about the handling. Z51 w/mag shocks is a serious handling upgrade. So for me, it improves the primary purpose of the car. Without it, it will still handle better than most passenger cars. But for me, no question, it must have it. Otherwise I’d choose to drive something else. My opinion about my car is just that. Nothing to do with your car and I don’t judge what you choose for yourself. It’s nice to share thoughts with others who also admire the C8. Looking forward to seeing them on the road next year.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcAmoney
Making sure I do not make a mistake , when I should order it -

i am NO car expert in the slightest bit- and I would say you and almost 99 percent of others on this forum are much better with this stuff then I am - so want to hear more expert opinions and thoughts
good post, never be afraid to ask. There will always be some knucklehead who will chide you, just ignore ......
MarcAmoney (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I think Z51 is a package that you couldn't tell was there unless someone told you driving wise, it tends to add weight and to prevent it from being slower they fudge with the gearing
Mike Campbell (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I think the best answer is "buy what you can afford". For some a fully optioned Corvette is a drop in the bucket when it comes to cost, for others the 1LT with no options may be a stretch, so it really only matters that you buy what you can reasonably afford. My preferences are my own, and honestly I can't enlighten anyone on whether a Z51 is worth it, to me it is, but my priorities and ability to afford the options I want are going to be different from other's.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by awright2009
I think Z51 is a package that you couldn't tell was there unless someone told you driving wise, it tends to add weight and to prevent it from being slower they fudge with the gearing

Not sure how much different it is on the C8, but I'd definitely be able tell C7 base vs z51.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:25 PM
MarcAmoney
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks everyone for all your insight - it honertly doesn’t even have to do about the $- truly whether or not I would use any of it , and the base would be another ride and just overall better for me as I am getting it purely cause I love the look , have fun night out and weekend date night with the wife etc !
Old 08-10-2019, 01:59 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Me I won't be buying the Z51. I'd rather have the 2LT w/o Z51. If the price is right I might go for the 3LT. Being a casual driver I will never notice the Z51 package is missing, but the goodies that come on the 2LT and 3LT I will notice.

Then later if I choose I can put an aftermarket big brake package, exhaust, headers, intake, spoiler, splitter, coilovers, and ect.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:10 PM
MarcAmoney
Instructor

Yes I’m leaning the same way - are you able to just add the NPP exhaust without the Z51 package ?

Also so what’s the big differenfe between the 2LT and 3LT

my build is below

Old 08-10-2019, 02:36 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,197 Likes on 3,401 Posts

You will not be able to add NPP later (unless they do it differently than they did in the C7). You will need to go with an aftermarket system and it won't have the same integration if you want to be able to switch between loud and quiet. It will definitely cost more money. But you can get NPP without getting the Z51 package.

3LT has nicer leather and more surfaces covered in soft materials vs plastic.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 08-10-2019 at 02:37 PM.
BOBSZ06 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:50 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The reality is that the base no option Corvette is going to be a heck of a performer just based on it's driveline and architecture.

If you just want to have a cool looking car that is still damn fast, nothing wrong with the base.

I personally wouldn't own the base, but I've always wanted my vehicles to perform like race vehicles. Doesn't mean OP is the same way.
C8 Sting Ray with or without the Z51 option package installed is a "base model". and not a race car with Z51 option. Only base model C8 Corvettes are offered for 2020. Z51 is an option package not a model.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
It's engineering 101...you don't engineer something like a sports car for minimum performance, you engineer it around the "ideal" and then cut costs where possible.
The Corvette is built around being able to withstand the stresses imparted by the most performance oriented components, and the user experience is designed around a premium option package. Once they meet those design goals it becomes a game if whack a mole to find ways to bring cost down for lower trims while still providing as much of the "experience" as possible. I would think this is common sense. It is much harder to add features to something than to remove them.
You don't think that the C8 is designed around a certain level of performance, and then amenitized to increase market share and profits? After all, it's the options and add-ons which bring the highest profit margins.
Do you really think that the C8 was designed around power folding mirrors, leather and "sueded microfiber" covering most interior surfaces, and optional seat belt colors? Heck no! Stuff like that can be added later to raise the profit margin.

Here's the original development vehicle. What 3LT options do you think were present, that the car was "designed around"?

Old 08-10-2019, 03:00 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes I’m leaning the same way - are you able to just add the NPP exhaust without the Z51 package ?

my build is below
If like in previous generations the NPP exhaust would be difficult to add after the fact, you would likely be looking at companies such as Borla, Corsa, Magniflow, and ect.

Not sure if it is true but others are saying the exhaust will be an option w/o adding the Z51 package. I would like to hear the NPP in person on the C8 before I choose to add it or not.

I think the 3LT is literally just a leather package. For me I'm just going to have to see both the 2LT and 3LT in person before I can decide if I care to get the 3LT.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Is this thread started by someone who loves a joke ?

Almost as funny as someone who buys a sports car and then says, “boy this car rides hard” - duh, what did they think they were buying. Probably should have bought a Pinto or a Cadillac.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 PM
MarcAmoney
Instructor

From the almost 50/50 responses of yes and No I would assume you are wrong -BUT you def added great input to the thread ! Keep up the good work !

Last edited by MarcAmoney; 08-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
Is this thread started by someone who loves a joke ?

Almost as funny as someone who buys a sports car and then says, “boy this car rides hard” - duh, what did they think they were buying. Probably should have bought a Pinto or a Cadillac.
This mindset actually comes from the Pinto days. Times have changed. You can have a good handling car that also rides well. The Corvette is a prime example of that.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
It really depends on WHERE you live. I don't track my Corvette, but it gets very hot in Alabama in summer. I like having the extra coolers on my C6 Z51, for summer.
There is absolutely NOTHING you do to that car on public roadways that would make any use of the additional cooling of the Z51 package. You just want it cause it's racy and the best, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
If like in previous generations the NPP exhaust would be difficult to add after the fact, you would likely be looking at companies such as Borla, Corsa, Magniflow, and ect.

Not sure if it is true but others are saying the exhaust will be an option w/o adding the Z51 package. I would like to hear the NPP in person on the C8 before I choose to add it or not.

I think the 3LT is literally just a leather package. For me I'm just going to have to see both the 2LT and 3LT in person before I can decide if I care to get the 3LT.
I removed the NPP from my C6 as in that generation I found it stupid for several reasons including:

1) It was a LOT slower until the valves opened up. On a dyno opening up the exhaust valves full time made around 30 more rwhp compared to when the valves were closed. The NPP when closed was around 25 rwhp weaker than the standard exhaust and then just beat the standard by 5-6 rwhp once opened. The lack of low end power on the NPP was very noticeable to me.

2) When opened, it sounded like absolute crap. Terrible drone (I had a switch to keep it open) and it was just way too loud. But the quality of the sound was lacking too. Very bubbly and poppy like a top fuel dragster. Maybe you like that, but I didn't. I got the uber exotic sound I desired from the Corsa.

I pulled that crap off, installed a Corsa Sport, make more power everywhere but especially down low, and the sound is WAY more exotic and racy without being obnoxious. Was lighter also. The only downside is that I do wish it was a notch quieter across the board but that's just cause I like quiet vehicles.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-11-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 a waste of money ?!

Old 08-11-2019, 02:07 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
There is absolutely NOTHING you do to that car on public roadways that would make any use of the additional cooling of the Z51 package. You just want it cause it's racy and the best, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Very accurate. If your car is overheating on public roads, something is malfunctioning.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

my build is below
Yes, the NPP exhaust is also a stand alone option, if you don’t want the rest you of the Z51 package.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Agreed.

Not so, based on my experiences with having sold three Corvettes, along with a host of other cars and gearhead stuff. Nobody ever asked about the "trim level" on any car I was selling.. If they had, I'd have written that off as someone so naive, that it wasn't worth my time, based on past experience. .

When I bought my used C6 GS, I knew I wanted a 3LT, because I know what is standard in that trim level. Only a naive person would purchase a Corvette at X price without knowing what trim level it was equipped with. A 3LT is worth more than a 2LT or 1 LT. The only way to know what is a good price is what trim level the Corvette was equipped with. I wanted NAV, and that is pretty much standard in the 3LT. The 2LT is missing all the features I would want. If you had told me the trim level isn't important, I would walk away from any vehicle you were selling.

Quick Reply: Z51 a waste of money ?!