Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doesn't look like Porsche is too concerned...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
That is beyond laughable, but then again bragging about how much money you have on a car discussion forum is ridiculous too so I'm just going to move on and pretend this thread doesn't even exist.
Truly shows how little you know. A farmer with 3,000 acres at 5,000 per acre is $15,000,000. Then start adding in another 2 Million or so in equipment. Then throw in a hog operation that pushes through 3 cycles of hogs at 8,000 head each of the 3 cycles annually. Plus several large Morton sheds, etc. Actually, I just described my wife’s family farm with the ground being free and clear. Are there people with more....without question. Would most people have a clue what farmers are worth......no. Do they live in a million dollar home and drive a Mercedes...no. They drive around in dirty $75K HD trucks and wear plaid shirts and Levi’s.

As for me......I do fine as I am sure you do as well!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 08-04-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by poorwhiteguy
Ugh - boats,,, don't get me started. We stopped trading when we got to a 28' Wellcraft. Just one 7.4L merc which drinks fuel, even though it has the B-III supposed to be more 'efficient'(a word that should never be used with 'boat'). Every spring it's something. This spring it's the shift cable bellows. Drive comes off, cable has to come all the way out for the repl. Kept trying to come up with some kind of Rube solution that wouldn't sink us eventually, but no - off it came. grrrrrrrrr. Rather do a belt job on the Ferrari than work on the boat.
I would rather have the Ferrari then the boat! You are a smart man!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 08-04-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
I remember asking my business partner how many MPG this boat got?

He said it's GPM.

I replied "what's GPM?"

Gallons Per Mile, especially at WOT
True. Cruising speed has a burn rate of 40-45 gallons per hour with a cruising speed of about 22 MPH. Makes for an expensive cocktail if you drive a few miles😎
Old 08-05-2019, 04:42 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
LOL, you call that a boat?
Here's a real boat!!

The second photo is of the boat coming up to the finish line buoy at some informal "run what you brung" eighth-mile drags, running about 120 mph.

No, it's not a race boat. It was set up and used as a weekend family recreational boat. Our kids grew up in that thing.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-05-2019 at 05:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cousineddy (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Cosmic Charlie 1
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
That's highly arguable. Did your Porsche salesman tell you that?

One among many references to the most winning marquise:
LINK
Well, hey I'm certainly not knocking Ford. However I didn't include NASCAR. I don't consider riding around in circles smashing into each other at 180mph racing. Drag racing? Maybe.
ArmchairArchitect (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie 1
Well, hey I'm certainly not knocking Ford. However I didn't include NASCAR. I don't consider riding around in circles smashing into each other at 180mph racing. .
That's OK, I don't either.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,917 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Truly shows how little you know. A farmer with 3,000 acres at 5,000 per acre is $15,000,000. Then start adding in another 2 Million or so in equipment. Then throw in a hog operation that pushes through 3 cycles of hogs at 8,000 head each of the 3 cycles annually. Plus several large Morton sheds, etc. Actually, I just described my wife’s family farm with the ground being free and clear. Are there people with more....without question. Would most people have a clue what farmers are worth......no. Do they live in a million dollar home and drive a Mercedes...no. They drive around in dirty $75K HD trucks and wear plaid shirts and Levi’s.

As for me......I do fine as I am sure you do as well!
I do have to laugh at your comment as well. What's your zip code? All one has to do is compare the average income/net worth of your zip code to Naples FL. Personal anecdotes are worthless.

Net worth = Assets - Liabilities. A majority of those farms are going to be on loan/mortgage, or handed down to them from other family members (unearned). Then you have the equipment which depreciates, and again is typically purchased on loan. So none of this relates to purchasing power/disposable income. It's more about how much net income they're producing on those assets.

On a side note, you say you value "prestige" and "refinement" with all your Porsche cheering on this forum, but then live in the middle of bumble[----] Missouri versus somewhere more prestigious, refined, and prettier. Seems extremely hypocritical.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I do have to laugh at your comment as well. What's your zip code? All one has to do is compare the average income/net worth of your zip code to Naples FL. Personal anecdot
es are worthless.

Net worth = Assets - Liabilities. A majority of those farms are going to be on loan/mortgage, or handed down to them from other family members (unearned). Then you have the equipment which depreciates, and again is typically purchased on loan. So none of this relates to purchasing power/disposable income. It's more about how much income they're producing on those assets.

On a side note, you say you value "prestige" and "refinement" with all your Porsche cheering on this forum, but then live in the middle of bumble[----] Missouri versus somewhere more prestigious, refined, and prettier. Seems extremely hypocritical.
Interesting sort of fella, turns every thread into who has what and how much is it worth. Didn't know he was a well to do pig farmer.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by wvanepps
True story here. I own a 2018 Carbon 65 Z06 / Z07 manual. I also owned a 2018 Camaro ZL1. At a Car's and Coffee one day I was commenting to a guy that had a ZL1 that it was a great car. He agreed and said it was great that GM actually built a Camaro that could beat a Corvette Z06. I pointed it that it could not and pulled up some official track times, 0-60 times, performance numbers, and also pointed out that I owned both and also that vast weight difference and the same horse power.

The person told me that all that information was lies and that there was a conspiracy to hide the true numbers of the Camaro ZL1. At this point I realized I was talking to a fan boy and no matter what evidence I could present it would not matter. I just smiled, walked away, and told him to have a nice day.
I can’t tell you how many arguments I’ve been sucked into with people that don’t have the cars and never even driven them. I just get so aggravated like “you know what’s in my garage, you drive a Focus ST with exhaust, our car experiences aren’t the same”. And instead of just enjoying what they own they always have to do the “on a tight track my Focus is just as fast as your Z06 which costs way more”. Like okay buddy.

Sorry just got super worked up. Just had this argument over the weekend lol.

Guy also told told me the NSX would smoke my Z06 on a track. I said nah, I have the Z07 package and it’s grip is insane. The guy with one car, that’s a Focus, told me, a guy with several cars including a Z06/Z07 and an NSX, “yeah but you don’t understand what the batteries do for the NSX and why it’s faster”. I showed him Car & Driver’s lap times for each car. He said “guy didn’t know how to drive the NSX”.

Oh crap, getting worked up again...
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,917 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Interesting sort of fella, turns every thread into who has what and how much is it worth. Didn't know he was a well to do pig farmer.
It ALL makes sense now!
Telepierre (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Also why are we arguing about money? There are lots of wealthy people on this forum. And unless someone on here owes you money their financial situations are really no ones business. If you make more, great. If you make less, great. I live down the street from one of the wealthiest communities in the Country. While it’s only down the street the income difference is more than vast so I don’t care about Zip Code. My neighborhood has an average house hold income of I’d guess low six figures. Down the street in the neighborhood I’m talking about I’d guess the average income is high 8 to low 9 figures. We might be in the same zip code but we’re in very different worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Triple Black:
ByByBMW (08-05-2019), Kent1999 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:12 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Mmmmmmmm, pink pig

love how Porsche mixes up the liveries during the season....pink pig, Brumos, Rothman's, Martini, Gulf etc..

Last edited by 05dsom; 08-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No responses from Dr. Ice today, which is highly uncharacteristic for him/her.
Maybe he/she has finally started to take a serious look at themself, and had some start of an inkling that there might be a better road to happiness than wealth-posturing?

Could also be that his mamma started to figure out what was going on in her basement, and restricted internet access.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-05-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black
Also why are we arguing about money? There are lots of wealthy people on this forum. And unless someone on here owes you money their financial situations are really no ones business. If you make more, great. If you make less, great. I live down the street from one of the wealthiest communities in the Country. While it’s only down the street the income difference is more than vast so I don’t care about Zip Code. My neighborhood has an average house hold income of I’d guess low six figures. Down the street in the neighborhood I’m talking about I’d guess the average income is high 8 to low 9 figures. We might be in the same zip code but we’re in very different worlds.
+1. Some people are simply adversarial while others simply don’t have a clue. I am taking the advice of ALMS21 yesterday and avoid the rift raft that trolls here. Apologies to you and others on the forum!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 08-05-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

+1. Some people are simply adversarial while others simply don’t have a clue. I am taking the advice of another poster yesterday and avoid the rift raft that trolls here. Apologies to you and others on the forum!
That would be "riff raff", not "rift raft", Mr. supposedly highly-educated one.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
Cousineddy (08-05-2019), Rapid Fred (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

How has this worthless thread that has nothing to do with the C8 not been shut down yet? Mods on summer vacation?
Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

+1. Some people are simply adversarial while others simply don’t have a clue. I am taking the advice of ALMS21 yesterday and avoid the rift raft that trolls here. Apologies to you and others on the forum!
I've never met or known a true car guy that I didn't feel a friendship or some form of connection too. The internet by nature isolates individuals and misconceptions are common in that arena. I would bet if everyone here spent an afternoon at my place, at a car cruise, or on Ice's boat we would probably have a great time. Maybe we can start over and keep it cool, all good here.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
Dr. ice (08-06-2019), Mr Triple Black (08-05-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Doesn't look like Porsche is too concerned...

Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

42’ Sea Ray. Not a big boat on this Lake. Several in the 55-65’ range.

Nice picture, Is that a Sundancer 40 Fly?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,037 Likes on 469 Posts

PIG!!!! I also own a sea ray.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
PIG!!!! I also own a sea ray.
Sea Ray makes a great boat.

Quick Reply: Doesn't look like Porsche is too concerned...