Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of dealers selling over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Lucantis
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-texas.html

I thought I saw somewhere in another posting saying Henna out of Austin was also but I can remember where I saw it.
The following users liked this post:
Darknight21 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Appreciate the patronage of your customers much? Your business ethics suck.

Those that resent your practices and refuse to do any business with you whatsoever, GOD BLESS 'EM.
Quite the opposite GrassHopper.

I was the #1 Ranked HVAC firm because of our outstanding Service, Reliability, Speed, Guaranty and Licensed Techs.

You can't be the Wal-Mart in the HVAC business and give those benefits.

80%+ was repeat business and referrals GrassHopper.

Existing customers were #1 when they called for service.

My techs were highly paid (over $100k year) new company van, the latest tech in tools, clean uniforms daily, etc...

I had 12 techs working 55+ hours per week, begging for a day off.

I had Techs from competitors begging me to work at my shop.

This is how you make big money GrassHopper.

I sold the company years ago for Big Bucks.

P.S. Not one of our customers thought we were cheap, they were always told the price and signed off before any repair was made.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
They can't force dealers to charge MSRP. That's why it is called manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price.
they most certainly can, in fact you would be surprised what the OEMS force dealers to do, they can even tell them when and how to remodel their stores, sure the dealer doesn't have to comply, by the OEMS can simply shut them off, either officially, or unofficially.

end of the day you can either pay what they ask, or you don't, its the buyers decision. people pay extra to get in line ahead of others at Disney and amusement parks, pay extra to get into certain neighborhoods, extra to get in a restaurant sooner and others don't because of their choice. I am not saying its right or wrong, however dealers are taking a beating on the outgoing C7 (Camaro too) right now and no one is out raising money to help them so why are they such villains when it works the other way? I would never pay more then MSRP, and have confirmed that I am not on this one either, but I am in business too and when the weather turns or market is slow I take projects below cost to keep things rolling, and when its hot prices go up, some of this is to simply offset the slow periods, and some of it is if I have to jump through hoops or you want it done uber fast then I am entitled to a little extra.

I remember looking at a prowler at the local dealership back in the day, I saw the price, told the sales rep I was good with that, he then asked if I saw the tag saying there was a 15k premium fee with the car, I said no, and then said there was no way I was paying over MSRP, in fact I have never even paid MSRP let alone over it and walked out, I thought what a bunch of jerks and crooks, but I was 20, now after owning a business for over 20 years I understand that they too have to go through the highs and lows, and there are less highs then there are lows, they sell a lot more chevy sparks then they do corvettes.

Again I am not defending dealers entirely, just saying sit back and take a second look, if once every 7-8 years they have a chance to get a head I cant really yell and scream from a soap box, would I pay it, hell no, and for the ones wanting 10,15, 22k above that wacky, but also remember some of these guys are answering calls, emails, and walk ins 18 hours a day with people asking a million questions so maybe a 5k ADM is their way of weeding out the dreamers too, because I am sure there is going to be a few cancellations once pricing comes out and reality sets in...….

I say it all the time, "don't fall in love with it and the rest is simple math", I am bending my rule a little on this one, but I have a little advantage too.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:02 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,472 Likes on 743 Posts

I never bought a car (3 Corvettes) and paid more than MSRP and never will. When i ordered my 2016 C7 back in June of 2015 i got a 6000.00 discount from a small dealer . I can wait to get a good deal !!!

Tennis & Golf Nut (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
LesK
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Westside Chevrolet in Katy (Houston Tx) just told me they are not selling C8 above MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by LesK:
1Turbo (07-31-2019), Darknight21 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM
IdRatherBGolfing
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 492 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2921 C8 of the Year 2021 Modified Finalist

After getting on the list with Parkway (Houston), and trying to email and call, they finally let me know they would be taking a 20,000 deposit in November. I clarified this was an up charge to MSRP. Needless to say, I called Classic Sugarland (Houston), and Aaron let me know they were at MSRP. Much better experience so far.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Ultimately the problem is that GM has set a precedent by over producing these cars and we all have learned from experience that in time the price will drop, a lot!

If the C7 is something to go off of however, if you can buy a C8 for MSRP you should be able to drive it for a year to a year and a half and darn near sell it for MSRP, especially once GM raises the MSRP by $4K for the second model year.

I shopped for C7s right here when they were nearly 2 years old and the darn things were listed (and selling) for basically new price which is what lead me to a C6 eventually.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm waiting for the C8 Z06.

I'd probably pay $5,000 over MSRP to get one early, but not much more.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by wrecker3
I never bought a car (3 Corvettes) and paid more than MSRP and never will. When i ordered my 2016 C7 back in June of 2015 i got a 6000.00 discount from a small dealer . I can wait to get a good deal !!!

Same here. I don’t mind driving 200 miles for a deal. It’s one fun drive on the way back! Under sticker and 0% financing on my last one. I drove from Tahoe to the bay area.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:14 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I've tried to buy my last 3 corvettes from Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet. I could never get a final price out the door. Purchased from another dealer in Florida. They lost my three purchases. Just bad business practices. They won't waste my time anymore. I will be ordering a C8 in a few months from now from another dealer.....

Last edited by theofel; 07-31-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bestvette2020
All you rich folks out there that are buying corvettes....
Ya know the rich people are not the ones buying over MSRP... it’s the poor gullible people that make poor financial decisions.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
Quite the opposite GrassHopper.

I was the #1 Ranked HVAC firm because of our outstanding Service, Reliability, Speed, Guaranty and Licensed Techs.

You can't be the Wal-Mart in the HVAC business and give those benefits.

80%+ was repeat business and referrals GrassHopper.

Existing customers were #1 when they called for service.

My techs were highly paid (over $100k year) new company van, the latest tech in tools, clean uniforms daily, etc...

I had 12 techs working 55+ hours per week, begging for a day off.

I had Techs from competitors begging me to work at my shop.

This is how you make big money GrassHopper.

I sold the company years ago for Big Bucks.

P.S. Not one of our customers thought we were cheap, they were always told the price and signed off before any repair was made.
Yeah, there are many of us that have our own ideas about those HVAC company practices. Never been impressed with any except one that installed a unit in my Tn. house. The Alabama house has 6 units, had to replace 2 a couple of years ago. Difficult to get a straight answer from any. Sort of like buying an automobile.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:44 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Yeah, there are many of us that have our own ideas about those HVAC company practices. Never been impressed with any except one that installed a unit in my Tn. house. The Alabama house has 6 units, had to replace 2 a couple of years ago. Difficult to get a straight answer from any. Sort of like buying an automobile.
Or furniture!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:03 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pzilly
they most certainly can, in fact you would be surprised what the OEMS force dealers to do, they can even tell them when and how to remodel their stores, sure the dealer doesn't have to comply, by the OEMS can simply shut them off, either officially, or unofficially.

end of the day you can either pay what they ask, or you don't, its the buyers decision. people pay extra to get in line ahead of others at Disney and amusement parks, pay extra to get into certain neighborhoods, extra to get in a restaurant sooner and others don't because of their choice. I am not saying its right or wrong, however dealers are taking a beating on the outgoing C7 (Camaro too) right now and no one is out raising money to help them so why are they such villains when it works the other way? I would never pay more then MSRP, and have confirmed that I am not on this one either, but I am in business too and when the weather turns or market is slow I take projects below cost to keep things rolling, and when its hot prices go up, some of this is to simply offset the slow periods, and some of it is if I have to jump through hoops or you want it done uber fast then I am entitled to a little extra.

I remember looking at a prowler at the local dealership back in the day, I saw the price, told the sales rep I was good with that, he then asked if I saw the tag saying there was a 15k premium fee with the car, I said no, and then said there was no way I was paying over MSRP, in fact I have never even paid MSRP let alone over it and walked out, I thought what a bunch of jerks and crooks, but I was 20, now after owning a business for over 20 years I understand that they too have to go through the highs and lows, and there are less highs then there are lows, they sell a lot more chevy sparks then they do corvettes.

Again I am not defending dealers entirely, just saying sit back and take a second look, if once every 7-8 years they have a chance to get a head I cant really yell and scream from a soap box, would I pay it, hell no, and for the ones wanting 10,15, 22k above that wacky, but also remember some of these guys are answering calls, emails, and walk ins 18 hours a day with people asking a million questions so maybe a 5k ADM is their way of weeding out the dreamers too, because I am sure there is going to be a few cancellations once pricing comes out and reality sets in...….

I say it all the time, "don't fall in love with it and the rest is simple math", I am bending my rule a little on this one, but I have a little advantage too.
The store remodel thing and shutting you off is simply not true. They will often encourage a dealer to either remodel or relocate but there are most often incentives attached for the dealer to do so. They do not give you an either or and the whole process takes years of discussions in most cases. "Shutting you off" is not really a thing that turns out well. There are a number of mechanisms in place to prevent this including laws in most every state. The entire allocation process is a part of your Dealer Sales and Service Agreement which is a contract.
Boiler_81 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Or furniture!
But a member of our family is still in the business after 67 years. It comes from customer appreciation and not gouging those that patronize. Fast dimes on profit instills loyalty and leaves a legacy of value. Waiting on a dollar profit from a sucker, not so much.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

But a member of our family is still in the business after 67 years. It comes from customer appreciation and not gouging those that patronize. Fast dimes on profit instills loyalty and leaves a legacy of value. Waiting on a dollar profit from a sucker, not so much.
There are automobile dealership families that have been in business far longer than that. You do realize that the gross profit percentage on furniture makes the gross profit percentage on automobiles pale in comparison. That happens when there is no published MSRP attached.

There are some wonderful furniture stores and some real crooks. That works for auto dealers as well. Don't be so naive as to think how they handle the lowest volume product in the lineup defines who they are in the world!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 AM
capkarl
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Screw that. I would never buy from a dealership that wants more than MSRP. IMO no car is worth that. Don’t fall for it guys. The more people there are willing to pay over list, the more they will keep gouging us. The C8 will eventually be plentiful. I don’t need to be the first one on the block to have one.
Plenty of dealers at MSRP I put a 5k deposit on one at Estero Bay Chevrolet in Florida.

Get notified of new replies

To List of dealers selling over MSRP

Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
There are automobile dealership families that have been in business far longer than that. You do realize that the gross profit percentage on furniture makes the gross profit percentage on automobiles pale in comparison. That happens when there is no published MSRP attached.

There are some wonderful furniture stores and some real crooks. That works for auto dealers as well. Don't be so naive as to think how they handle the lowest volume product in the lineup defines who they are in the world!
There was a few that tried that in our hometown. They disappeared, couldn't compete.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Rydell IN CA just tried to sell me MSRP plus 5,000! LMFAO 👎 that would happen in CA.
JALLEN4 (08-21-2019)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Jack Heiny,Jr.
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Reputation

Knowing Loyalty From Highland Indiana Christenson Chevrolet Has Led Me Buying Two Corvettes And Three Trucks. Friendly Relationships And Honest Prices And Stress Free Financing Is The Reputation Of The Retired Christenson Dealership. Now It's Run By Garber Chevrolet. A Big Outfit. Too Big For Friendiness And Price Negotiations. Strictly Yes Or No. Do You Want To Buy. Now They're Trying To Sell Me A 2022 By Text. Are You Kidding Me? Give Me A Fricken Break. Strictly $$$$$ With Garber Chevy. Trying To buy A Corvette From Them For Two Years,. Either The Salesman Was Out Golfing Or Snowmibiling. Ryan Actually Lied And Said The 2020's Were Sold Out. But Really Tbe 2020's Have Been Plagued With Recalls. I Blame The Incompetent Business Practices By General Motors To Allow Garber And Others To Sell At Ridiculous And Unfair Prices. The Sales Practices Of GM Is Broken And Unrespectful Towards The Middle Class. So If You're Rich, Arrogant, And Stupid, Go Ahead And Spend Your Money. Perhaps By Text Mail.

Quick Reply: List of dealers selling over MSRP