Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 fascia to fender alignment issue C8 on tour in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 02:59 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
You don't believe me? Really? Pics I took of the car under inspection and final detailing.

Wow, Rosso Corsa day at the shop 👍🏻
Love the 308 GTS, 599 GTB and 575 Maranello, but am biased to your 458 😉

Old 07-27-2019, 03:09 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Excuses excuses. None of you are accepting your cars new like this. But that's ok. Not a fanboy of how this multi billion dollar company thinks we have bad eyesight and lower than acceptable standards.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Where I'm at right now.. Here's a 2012 ZR1... 115k msrp. Back then... how's your fascia to fender joint? Good for you?

Beautiful car.. flawless... almost.

Driver side perfect...

Passenger side? Not so much.

Up close and personal...
I'm around plenty of varying gen vettes on the weekends. I see them from up top and underneath inside and out. Certain things just irk me... paint mismatch and panel fitment are the biggest. If you're ok with it? Fine. I'm not.

This has been an issue for 2 gens now and this makes 3 if they dont figure this out.

It's been pointed out for everyone so people picking their 80 90 100k plus C8s out dont drive home or have it Shipped and get stuck with it. Make them fix it first. At some point it will just become routine and then we won't have to make. All these bs EXCUSES for them.

Let the forum member fight his own battles. To answer him not you - I doubted this simple fact. You ordered your 250k sports car which you made sure was painstakingly detailed but were ok with the misalignment? And the dealer just told you to go scratch?

Because that's how it read to me. But that's not this discussion. You can pm me if you care to talk about it some more. And if all of that happened to you? Then I apologize for calling you out on it.. taking you at "internet anonymous face value".

On the other hand Sin City.... the fact that YOU NOTICED the misaligned panel on your new car and weren't ok with it.. but I should be?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Excuses excuses. None of you are accepting your cars new like this. But that's ok. Not a fanboy of how this multi billion dollar company thinks we have bad eyesight and lower than acceptable standards.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Where I'm at right now.. Here's a 2012 ZR1... 115k msrp. Back then... how's your fascia to fender joint? Good for you?

Beautiful car.. flawless... almost.

Driver side perfect...

Passenger side? Not so much.

On the other hand Sin City.... the fact that YOU NOTICED the misaligned panel on your new car and weren't ok with it.. but I should be?
I didn't say you should be OK with it. I said when the car was delivered the body panel -- on a $300K car -- was out of alignment and the dealer's service manager (a pretty good friend of mine) said it wasn't unusual.

They fixed it before I took delivery. But temperature will make a difference on plastic versus metal parts. Not much you can do about that.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:14 PM
alex2364
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

As someone that’s owned BMWs for several years, panel misalignments and color mismatches aren’t acceptable to me. I don’t care if it’s a $20k Toyota or $500k Ferrari. If Chevy wants to convert BMW and Porsche owners to this C8 then they need to fix this before production starts. Otherwise most of us will be going back to our Euro brands.
23/C8Z (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:15 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,653 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Corvette fans have earned a reputation as insufferable, and I'm starting to see why. Preproduction = preproduction

The car isnt even out yet, fools If it's one thing corvette folks like to do, is nitpick and bitch.
or, could it be Preproduction = Final Production for GM?

Look at past issues with LS7 valves, "Orange Peel" paint jobs, etc. Don't seem like GM's legacy is very upstanding in quality.

I once saw a post on here that said something to the effect of Cheaper + Fastest don't equal the BEST.
23/C8Z (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:00 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

If we accept subpar. They will too. That's the point.

I wish i didn't have the ocd i do.. I'm working on it. Having purchased my first new Corvette 3 yrs ago and having to have some paint work did not help it.
golden2husky (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Two thoughts.. It's a Chevy, and I can't see the bumper when I am driving it.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 PM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

If we accept subpar. They will too. That's the point.

I wish i didn't have the ocd i do.. I'm working on it. Having purchased my first new Corvette 3 yrs ago and having to have some paint work did not help it.
Corvettes and OCD do not mix. That's for sure.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 AM
Lenman59
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Go buy a Porsche then

It is said that the only people who come to these forums are people who want to complain. If you want perfection you will have to pay for it. My C7 is perfect in every way for me. No the car is far perfect but it is mine. I can afford $100,000 for a super car and this one has surpassed my expectation. There is nothing out there that can do what my black beast can for the price. GM will do just fine with this new car. NEWS FLASH IT WONT BE PERFECT. I have a friend who drives a Porsche. He likes it for “the perfection and quality”. My Z06 can kick its Lilly white ***. I love my car for the way it makes me feel when I drive it. Not for having perfect door margins.

Last edited by Lenman59; 07-28-2019 at 01:55 AM.
spinkick (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:08 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Well. I went to the sh** show which was gm displaying one C8 at the largest corvette dealer in the world today... spent about 2 minutes up close near the car and before I was able to take in the tiny bit of the car one could see, the fascia sticking up was catching the sun lovely.

Idk after the 6 years of issues they've had with the corners of the C7s fascias meet with the fender above or next to the headlight they wouldn't find a better way to do this?

This is a preproduction unit I was reminded by a couple of gm employees which.... is laughable. That car should be perfect. More perfect than the rush job in the line that's for sure.

The interior color is a daring one because the driver's bolster looked filthy already as did many other surfaces a darker color you would never notice.. Pretty but It would drive me nuts.

The hatch panel at the top of the glass wasn't even close the orange of the rest of the car nor was the spoiler. My guess is that the panel housing the rearview mirror camera and the spoilers (body color) are painted by the vendors like the exposed carbon weave hoods and roofs now. Almost none match. Some are so off it's terrible.

I got some good video of the whole car from outside yesterday when they were setting up before a kerbeck guy blocked my view and then they covered it up. Mind you this was after every employee lot attendant their kids etc etc took tons of video and pictures of the car lol. Whatever.

Point is, I wondered how they were going to pull this off for so little and I got my up close and personal views of where and how. I will eventually end up with one. Itll be inevitable. But I wish there was more attention to detail on such things that are right in your face.

So much more to say but I'll take a break. Wait until you hear what one of the reps had the nerve to tell me about "us".

https://youtu.be/ub4GlnjpkXc
https://youtu.be/crOzh8feev0
https://youtu.be/E2SHdF6UAbo
https://youtu.be/1a0J2spPO38
https://youtu.be/K9N-6ffMRN0

As for the handling of the crowd? D-

Instead of roping the car off in two lines one for the driver side one for the passenger side it was a complete cluster.

What a mess. The car looked like it was surrounded by the walking dead. A good percentage of these people were elderly males acting like north jersey or NYC morons and saying the dumbest things in front of woman and children it was just a complete joke.

I hope tomorrow they straighten this out. Why the car wasn't roped off is beyond me. You wait in line and then you go.

There wasn't Thousands of people trying to look at the car. There was maybe 60 to 75 at a time. And I'm sure they would have gladly waited in a line to do so. I had to remind several people who refused to budge that others were trying to get a look.. it worked as they were shamed into moving after a good few minutes (noticeable as I moved around the car they stayed stationary as the civilized humans did the same as I did....kept a slow steady move....many just gave up. So inconsiderate but I guess to be expected given that demographic I described.

I moved to nj from nyc couple decades ago if I ever acted like these people I am truly...truly.. sorry. My god.
Your sharing of the experience and observations at this GM sponsored reveal are very much appreciated. Bad behavior, a lack of respect, courtesy and consideration for others certainly seems much more prevalent today than it was in the past. I do take issue with the focus of the negative activity coming from "elderly males" generalized as being from a certain geographic region who act like "moron saying the dumbest things......." Although this is likely your actual observation, too many times I see "older men" criticized and berated in this forum simply because of their age. Older men do not dominate the Corvette world or any other geographic area for being rude idiots. An objective person would be able to see than there is no shortage of this behavior in all age groups, genders and places. GM has failed a number of times in the past to handle public relations and customer interactions properly. They have also performed very successfully in these matters at other times. For all the time, marketing hype and the number of personnel GM assigned to the C8, they certainly could have planned and organized this event much better. GM has done the right thing developing the C8 targeting the younger market for future sales. Us older males, some who have purchased numerous Corvettes over previous decades, are close to buying our last Corvette. For better or worse we have been a loyal customer base. It is wrong to state that older men have poor preferences and bad behavior as a general demographic group. A review of the posts in this forum alone will show that speaking and acting like a complete *** is equally distributed across all age groups. I understand that nothing I say will overcome anyone's personal bias or need to generally criticize others.That's just my two cents worth.
DREAMERAK (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

IMO, these "touring" cars should be absolutely, 100% perfect.
This is supposed to be GM showcasing its latest and greatest.
In real world cut-throat business, whether the product is a car or a widget, it MUST be without blemish when the curtain opens.
The best always adhere to this policy.
I realize GM may not be the best car manufacturer in the world, but they should at least damn well TRY...or GTFO.
The following 3 users liked this post by sunsalem:
23/C8Z (07-28-2019), Rapid Fred (07-29-2019), ROBWILKER (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

it amazing what people fixate on. not happy with it, don't buy it. like most production cars, they make improvements along the way, perfect reason why i always wait 2 years lol

Last edited by erikszr1; 07-28-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,532 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Here's what I know...these are pre-production cars and any issues that arise during the 1,000,000 mile testing on the pre-production cars are being addressed. This is a daily process for the entire Corvette Team and they want to get it right before they start consumer production. They have to get the dynamic feedback of having these on the road, and they look for issues along the way that need to be corrected. Kai Spande's team at the plant is all over this concern as well as others because they truly want to deliver the absolute best possible to the consumer. I have full confidence in his leadership and resolve to do so and am looking forward to owning one of the first production cars that they build.
The following 4 users liked this post by E.T.D. Corvettes:
RapidC84B (07-29-2019), ROBWILKER (07-29-2019), spinkick (07-28-2019), Tripjammer (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:17 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

A modern, traditional, steel-bodied car has a robotically welded frame made to precise dimensions. So precise that the body panels no longer have slots for assembly adjustment like they used to. Anybody who has worked on the bodywork of old American cars saw that all the panels had slotted connections that allowed for adjustability of the fenders, doors, etc. With some care you can (usually) get everything to align perfectly. Of course, with a non-stop stream of cars coming down the assembly line and small amount of time to align everything, many cars had sloppy panel fit. So much that American cars gained a reputation for poor workmanship. Hence the need for modern assembly techniques. Today, panels are pin-aligned and the workers, for the most part, simply have to bolt it together. It seems that Corvette bodywork does not work that way. The assembly workers have a lot more input on the quality of the final product. Now, one can blame the design as well - why not make the car like "normal" ones? Then this need for precision would be in the hands of the robots not people. Perhaps the body panel material is the reason they are built like this? If so, think of what steel panels would offer - much better assembly quality, vastly flatter panels, better paint finish. The negatives might be weight, and of course, the bucking of tradition. I, for one would be willing to have an extra 100 pounds for the improvements in pretty much every area. I recognize that this is not likely to be popular here but I rather not be making excuses as to why SMC panels have inherent ripples while steel panels don't...

All this being said, let's see what the factory can produce. My C7 is nearly perfect in all areas; I did realign the waterfall to make the gap small and uniform but the C8 is still pre-production. I expect that most C8s will be the same way, but there will be more examples that are not "perfect", much more so than traditional cars. My guess. I hope I eat a pile of crow on this statement - I badly want this to be world class.

Last edited by golden2husky; 07-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by golden2husky:
alex2364 (07-28-2019), Tripjammer (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:28 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Jeremy,

I know you know Kai. It's threads like this one that as an owner customer you hope make their way back...

When I see Jeff S. at Carlisle (who I spoke with yesterday) i will convey my expectations and show him the I (small) list I've already started to see how they will address certain things.l like this ongoing issue with the last 2 gens.. Hoping if for some 1 in a million chance they HAVEN'T noticed any of these issues... it's brought to their attention now.

For anyone u see the false impression that I want failure or complain because I dislike the car or brand? I dont bash this car.. I dont bash any GM product. I am diehard GM. I have a 2018 and a 2019 GMC, my 2016 Z06 with a 19 Z06 on Order. I just want them better each year.. every gen... when I am in the market for a C8Z I want all this stuff worked out let there be issues where when I walk towards the car they don't slap me in the face.... I can live with that.. but not a fascia issue or a mismatch vendor supplied camera module spoiler etc.

Hope to see you at Carlisle this year buddy.
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
E.T.D. Corvettes (07-28-2019), RapidC84B (07-29-2019), ROBWILKER (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Tripjammer
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 209 Posts

They are not making the first production C8's till sometime in december, so there is plenty of time to fix this issue before production starts.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,532 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Jeremy,

I know you know Kai. It's threads like this one that as an owner customer you hope make their way back...

When I see Jeff S. at Carlisle (who I spoke with yesterday) i will convey my expectations and show him the I (small) list I've already started to see how they will address certain things.l like this ongoing issue with the last 2 gens.. Hoping if for some 1 in a million chance they HAVEN'T noticed any of these issues... it's brought to their attention now.

For anyone u see the false impression that I want failure or complain because I dislike the car or brand? I dont bash this car.. I dont bash any GM product. I am diehard GM. I have a 2018 and a 2019 GMC, my 2016 Z06 with a 19 Z06 on Order. I just want them better each year.. every gen... when I am in the market for a C8Z I want all this stuff worked out let there be issues where when I walk towards the car they don't slap me in the face.... I can live with that.. but not a fascia issue or a mismatch vendor supplied camera module spoiler etc.

Hope to see you at Carlisle this year buddy.
I always make sure my friends at GM know about issues that come up like this one. In almost every case, they are already aware and working on a solution. They want to get this car 100% right once production begins and we also know that you have to have the car on the road and in real life usage situations to truly see what might need improvement. Hopefully, the 1,000,000 mile quality testing will reveal these. People just need to remember that this is the time we want to see these issue come up rather than after consumers start to take delivery. I hope I can make it to Carlisle for a day or two as well!

Get notified of new replies

To C8 fascia to fender alignment issue C8 on tour in NJ

Old 07-28-2019, 02:52 PM
TinkersVet
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

If you just want a Corvette to look at, polish,whine,brag about how yours is perfect go ahead and complain about the fit and finish. If you DRIVE the thing who cares it is a drivers car not a $500,000 my **** is better than yours. A few laps on the track will either straighten those body lines up of wrinkle them. I laugh at how most whiners have never seen over 100 mph or 1000 miles with their cars--=- but they are perfect garage queens who can condemn all others.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:01 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I always make sure my friends at GM know about issues that come up like this one. In almost every case, they are already aware and working on a solution. They want to get this car 100% right once production begins and we also know that you have to have the car on the road and in real life usage situations to truly see what might need improvement. Hopefully, the 1,000,000 mile quality testing will reveal these. People just need to remember that this is the time we want to see these issue come up rather than after consumers start to take delivery. I hope I can make it to Carlisle for a day or two as well!
What about the issues that never get solved? For example, the paint chipping and peeling on late model C7s. See my thread in the "Ask Tadge" section and the link to another thread dealing with this issue:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stingray.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...corvettes.html

Ask your friends at GM about this issue. I would be interested in what they have to say. Standing by.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Badger97
Race Director

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
OP seems to be in pre-production himself.

Perhaps that’s why instead of simply saying...

“Overall, very exciting design and it may be the most amazing Corvette ever.” And...

“While I saw a number of fitment, paint, and fine tuning issues, it would only be fair to point out that this was not a final production car, it was a pre-production mule. Let’s wait and see the real McCoy before reaching any conclusions as to what the end product will be.”

But the OP doesn’t even attempt to be “fair & balanced.” He whines and bleats that these issues are completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

Congrats! Yes! How perceptive of you. In a final production car they certainly might/would be unacceptable or well below what we would all like to see and purchase. But, again, this is not by anyone’s definition a final end product.

Now, instead of thanking GM for allowing the public to gain a general overall perspective at an early stage as to what the actual final product will look like by letting them prematurely view a kinda beat up pre-production mule, the OP rather unacceptably attack’s the mule. Again, GM could have easily waited an additional 2 or 3 months and sent out products much closer to actual production vehicles instead of showing us these mules.

Personally, when I buy a new home I always enjoy going through the house a number of times starting with pouring the foundation, framing, landscaping, pre-paint, pre-flooring, etc. etc. If the builder told me that I couldn’t even glimpse it up close until it was a finished product, I would be very disappointed. And, maybe, if most new owners always responded by unfairly attacking the construction team while in mid process, maybe contractors routinely would keep them far away.

But, perhaps even more sadly, the OP couldn’t stop at attacking the mule. He couldn’t resist then attacking the members of the public who apparently rather excitedly showed up for an informal open door viewing in a vacant lot. How dare these people show up and behave beneath the OP’s personal and quite subjective standards?

I feel kinda sorry for those people because, kinda like the mule, nobody warned them that they were going to be critically judged and photographed by an angry elitist sadly lacking in both empathy and understanding and primarily focused on himself.

Oh, and not simply content to attack both the mule and the public at the showing, the OP then proceeds on here to attack a forum member who tried to explain some of the similar problems associated with his purchase of a Ferrari. The OP basically called that forum member a liar. Why? Apparently because that forum member and some others were not fawning over the OP’s agenda and immaturity.
Cliff notes?

Quick Reply: C8 fascia to fender alignment issue C8 on tour in NJ