Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would anyone choose the new Supra over the C8 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 AM
boostm2
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
You guys keep talking about the Supra but what most of you don't know is there is a NEW Supra coming out with plenty of horsepower ..right up there. Not for me I am still a Vette guy but the new Supra will be a car to recon with. So get the facts right.
Are you saying that most people here dont know about the bmw/supra connection, and what that car's all about? Really? I doubt anybody here is talking about the 30 year old supra instead. lol

Last edited by boostm2; 07-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM
rbeasley1
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy8
Here is a true story, the thing is now the Corvette buyers are putting deposits on a Car they haven't even seen or driven yet and willing to pay full pop at the same time the Supra and GT500 buyers are expecting massive discounts and are having seconds thoughts about their purchase !

I haven't met one person yet after the reveal that said I'm not getting a C8 give me a mustang instead or a supra. GM got it right this time in looks and performance and it's gonna take a car that cost 3 times as much to be able to compete .

You park a C8 next to any Mustang,Supra or Porsche and you'll find out the hard way how no one will notice your car just don't go home crying regretting your purchase !

Now you will truly need an Aventador to keep people away from the C8 .
Yea but what if you don't care about others noticing your car? What if you have no desire to own a Lambo? It seems people have different reasons for purchasing cars. I have no desire to be noticed. I would actually prefer not to be noticed. That is probably a minority opinion though. I just enjoy driving and occasional track days.

Last edited by rbeasley1; 07-28-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Zakira
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate how after the C8 price got announced, the Vette guys' snob level got turned way up.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:21 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

No way. The C8 is a superior car compared to the Supra.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:28 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm not a loyalist. I think I'm fairly objective.
I was big into Supras and hated Corvette's when I was younger. Although I was too young to have the coin for a new one. Used to regularly trounce C5's in my older one. It was always enjoyable. I thought the regular C5 was lackluster. I thought C4 and previous are horrible. Still do. Two things converted me to Corvette.
1) Toyota abandoned the Supra in 99
2) Chevrolet put out the C5Z06 in 01

Corvette has dominated since then with one Engineering improvement followed by another. This new Supra doesn't change a thing, and it's not even a real Supra anyway. Toyota has been very disappointing.

I didn't leave Toyota, Toyota left me.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 AM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

To answer the OP’s question, the reason for buying a Supra is that you’ll be able to work with dealers like the one in Vero Beach, Florida, who marked his up to $198,563.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I got a 2JZ but it's not in a supra though. It's in my lexus GS300. I'm willing to sell the motor for $10,000, it's a F-ing 2JZ!!!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakira
I hate how after the C8 price got announced, the Vette guys' snob level got turned way up.
Why not? I have a c7 z06 and I am proud to see how many car keeps up with half a million dollar cars. I have a good friend who has a Porsche 911 Turbo S and when I go out kids stare at it and everyone looks. The 911 Turbo S gets no love from the average public at all.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:59 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by JadeRaven
Who might want a Supra vs a Corvette:

Someone who really likes the Supra.

Someone who prefers the pure, traditional feeling of a torque converter slushbox.

Someone who doesn't like functional vents.

Someone who has to have idrive in their Toyota.

Someone who only wants one interior color choice.

Someone who really wants a BMW but really doesn't like the blue white circle badge.

Someone who really wants a BMW but prefers the Toyota dealer experience.

Someone who wants a Toyota but doesn't care for the legendary Toyota reliability.

Someone whose budget allows only $50,920.00 to $56,180.00 for a sportscar and not any more.

Someone who put down a big deposit a long, long time ago and somehow can't get it back.
This is absolutely hilarious, good job! I really can't imagine anyone choosing this albatross post C8 reveal. Toyota must have been totally oblivious as to any of C8 expectations and most importantly it's pricing. They have made a very serious market miscalculation with this offering. This fact is in your face obvious, the car is DOA.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:08 PM
vetteguy8
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 77 Posts

If I had a deposit on a Supra before the reveal and watched the reveal live 2 things would happen to me maybe three !
First I would fall off my lazyboy chair and say God damn it !! What did I do !!! Then I would drive as fast as I can to my local Toyota dealer and ask for my deposit back and I would do that just as they are opening the doors as I'd be afraid more guys would be doing the same, then......
I would pull up my shorts and run like Gump to my nearest Chevy dealer and give them all my money.

Last edited by vetteguy8; 07-28-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:14 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

There are only so many performance (new) cars in the 50k-70k price range. Of those cars the C8 is king, IMO. I would think that anyone seriously considering the Supra has got to be reconsidering any final decision after watching the C8 reveal. The only reasons that I can think of why someone would choose the Supra is they prefer the front engine look/feel, want a car built in fewer numbers or are die hard Supra or Toyota fans. Otherwise, in just about any measure, the C8 is superior.

Last edited by VY427; 07-28-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by VY427
There are only so many performance (new) cars in the 50k-70k price range. Of those cars the C8 is king, IMO. I would think that anyone seriously considering the Supra has got to be reconsidering any final decision after watching the C8 reveal. The only reasons that I can think of why someone would choose the Supra is they prefer the front engine look/feel, want a car built in fewer numbers or are die hard Supra or Toyota fans. Otherwise, in just about any measure, the C8 is superior.
Or prefer a very ugly car.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Considering the fact you are getting a 2.9 0-60 time. Mid engine cool design that resembles a supercar compared to a Supra that looks like a nice Scion FRS or a Subaru BRZ. Also the Vette makes so much more power and dealers are already taking order at MSRP. Why bother with a Supra?
I personally agree, but I don’t think they’re trying to compete. The only reason people are assuming they’re “competing” is because they’re both coming out around the same time. I like the new Supra, in fact so much that I bought one. Just because I bought a Supra doesn’t mean I hate the new vette or won’t buy one... because I definitely will!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim
The same reasons people pay $85k for a truck ... $75k for a mustang... $100k for a charger.. etc.

Not everyone wants or likes corvettes.
This is exactly it. The same reason why people are going to buy a Demon, GT500, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc, etc. The ignorance and arrogance in this thread is deep. This may surprise some people here, but not everyone likes the C8. Not everyone cares what the 0-60 time is either, which is all you see people mention when comparing it to other cars. Some people just like other cars better. People here may think the supra is ugly buy others may think the C8 is ugly.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:16 PM
vetteguy8
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
This is exactly it. The same reason why people are going to buy a Demon, GT500, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc, etc. The ignorance and arrogance in this thread is deep. This may surprise some people here, but not everyone likes the C8. Not everyone cares what the 0-60 time is either, which is all you see people mention when comparing it to other cars. Some people just like other cars better. People here may think the supra is ugly buy others may think the C8 is ugly.
Or maybe you just forgot your on a Corvette forum so why are you surprised ?

If someone thinks the C8 is ugly and prefers the Supra then I respect his decision but don't be surprised to find people loving a C8 in a C8 thread especially ! Then claim ignorance and arrogance.

When I hang out with my Corvette buddies most of them are hard core Vette guys and don't even know what a Supra is nor care about it ! They think a Porsche looks like a beetle ! Am I surprised ? No
Are they ignorant also ? No they are not.
Many of them own more than one Corvette and other luxury cars and can afford any car they want but chose something they are passionate about and love so much and don't care much about other brands.

I personally would take a base C7 any day over Supra ! Please don't be surprised.

Last edited by vetteguy8; 07-28-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by blb078
A person electing not to purchase a C8 is understandable but because it is "ugly" is ridiculous. The C8 may not be a die hard Ricers cup of tea but it is absolutely not "ugly".
Old 07-28-2019, 01:26 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
A person electing not to purchase a C8 is understandable but because it is "ugly" is ridiculous. The C8 may not be a die hard Ricers cup of tea but it is absolutely not "ugly".
You might want to brace yourself for this but some people think it's ugly. Your opinion is that it's not ugly but not everyone shares your opinion. I personally think it looks good and will eventually get one but others I've spoke to do not like it at all. The common dislike I hear about it is the back end.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would anyone choose the new Supra over the C8 Corvette?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

I just saw a new Supra in traffic yesterday evening in a pearl white color. The wife said that it looked like a regular car that got stung by bees, with that fat nose. I couldn't disagree.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:28 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You can't compare the two, they are in two totally different classes and appeal to different buyers.
The following users liked this post:
blb078 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:43 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy8
Or maybe you just forgot your on a Corvette forum so why are you surprised ?

If someone thinks the C8 is ugly and prefers the Supra then I respect his decision but don't be surprised to find people loving a C8 in a C8 thread especially ! Then claim ignorance and arrogance.

When I hang out with my Corvette buddies most of them are hard core Vette guys and don't even know what a Supra is nor care about it ! They think a Porsche looks like a beetle ! Am I surprised ? No
Are they ignorant also ? No they are not.
Many of them own more than one Corvette and other luxury cars and can afford any car they want but chose something they are passionate about and love so much and don't care much about other brands.

I personally would take a base C7 any day over Supra ! Please don't be surprised.
LOL, so true. All anyone need do is to go to Rennlist and read the posts on the C8 in the Other Marque discussions sub-forum for validation of your post.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone choose the new Supra over the C8 Corvette?