Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase of C8 Corvette from another state and not California

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:22 PM
CiscoSanJose
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New purchase of C8 Corvette from another state and not California

Hi everyone, thank you for having a corvette forum and thank you for letting me join in. First of I'm Cisco from San Jose Calif and originally from Hilo Hawaii. I came to Calif to enjoy all that this state offers including well paying jobs with in Hilo is hard to come by. Over the hears I fell in love with the California car culture and always wondered and prayed one day I would be able to buy a corvette to replace my aging 1982 RX-7 so when I seen the new mid-engine corvette C8 stingray I knew I have to have one.

I called the Chevy hot line and left me email address and phone number stating I want to be on the pre-order list. I got a phone call back and I'm thinking I'm talking to someone in California when in fact the person that called me was from Tampa Florida Chevy dealership and they asked me if I want to be put on the pre-order list which I said yes and they took my info down and also my $500 pre-order refundable money.

I ask the person if I buy the new 2020 stingray in Florida will they handle all the paper work to have the car titled in Calif and registered in Calif and they said that would be no problem. I asked the same person if the stingray will be EPA and smog approved in all 50 state and they said yes. Last question I asked is if they would ship the car out to Calif which I would pay the shipping cost and they said they can arrange that.

So here is my question has anyone bought a new corvette from another state and was able to pre-register and dmv approved with paper work so the car will have California title and lic plate.

I was told that sometimes the sales people at these dealership will sell you the moon and everything just to get the sale.

By the way I'm 73 of 200 corvette that is allotted to this dealership and the sale price will be MSRP plus the options I want, plus sale tax and the other tack on taxes and fees.

thanks for any info or suggestion on what to look for when buying a new car from a different state and having it registered and lic in Calif.
Much Aloha and Mahalo
Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I am confused why you are not buying the car from a California dealer for MSRP + dealer fees + taxes, etc. There are a number of them who have posted to this forum. Seems like it could save you money, time, etc.

Last edited by thill444; 07-20-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I've bought 2 cars from out of state dealers and didn't have to do a thing to have them registered for my state at the time. I guess the dealership could screw it up but many do this all the time.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

They will most likely have to deliver to another dealership so it can be set up in the system and verified 50 state legal before they issue a registration. My Z06 was from Arizona and had to go to the dealer to get it's registration.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:33 PM
CiscoSanJose
Advanced

Originally Posted by thill444
I am confused why you are not buying the car from a California dealer for MSRP + dealer fees + taxes, etc. There are a number of them who have posted to this forum. Seems like it could save you money, time, etc.
The closest dealer to me in San Jose is Chevrolet of Steven's Creek and I might stop by there to see what they have to offer, I did see another dealership in SF Redwood city area but they want $5K down and $5K at order date and I might talk to them also, but I assume the list is starting to get long. I just wanted to be on the pre-order list and the Tampa dealer called me and told me their one of the top 10 corvette sales in the country.

This is the dealership: Stingray Chevrolet proudly serves Hillsborough, Polk, and Pinellas counties. We are the premier Central Florida Chevrolet dealer!

Anyone had dealings with that dealership, thanks for any info
Old 07-20-2019, 11:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Cisco,

Aloha, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. Bringing in a Corvette or any new car into Ca from out of state does have an extra step or two. When you get a few more posts and can use the search forum, please search for "Ca DMV" or "Ca emissions" and you will see what extra you need to do to get the car registered after it gets here. In fact we have had discussions on this very recently. Either search in the NorCal or SoCal sections or the C7 section as there aren't any threads in the C8 section yet on the procedures. You might ask around in the BA if anyone will do a courtesy delivery, which is where a local dealer accepts the car and does the initial clean up and readiness (called PDI). If that is done then no extra steps are necessary, however most dealers in Ca won't do a courtesy delivery so you will need to get the car smogged, inspected and take it to a Ca Referee station for that initial smog as a new Corvette won't smog correctly until it has 1000 miles on it simply because the catalyst readiness monitor is programmed by GM not to show ready until 1000 miles + and that readiness monitor is necessary for a completed Smog in Ca. The Ca DMV understands that and the Referee station will sign off for you without a problem.. That step is not at all hard, but does need to be done.

Being 73 out of 200 should get you the car in July or so of next year. Now you need to keep your fingers crossed they were not blowing smoke at you. I suppose if I were you I would go to the Florida area section of the forum and ask locals what they think of the dealer you have picked to sell you the car.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=CiscoSanJose;1599802593]The closest dealer to me in San Jose is Chevrolet of Steven's Creek and I might stop by there to see what they have to offer, I did see another dealership in SF Redwood city area but they want $5K down and $5K at order date and I might talk to them also, but I assume the list is starting to get long. I just wanted to be on the pre-order list and the Tampa dealer called me and told me their one of the top 10 corvette sales in the country.

The main thing is to make sure a dealer has allocations. Some dealers have more people on a waiting list than they have allocations to fill orders. Sometimes dealers with few allocations will hope they can get more allocations from other dealers but a new car in high demand the way the C8 may be will likely not be able to get them. This was the case when the Z06 came on the scene in 2001. A lot of potential buyers were hung out to dry and waited several months before their deposits were returned.

Ask how many allocations they have in hand and how many buyers are on their list.

Last edited by Mufflerbearing; 07-21-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose
thanks for any info or suggestion on what to look for when buying a new car from a different state and having it registered and lic in Calif.
Much Aloha and Mahalo
If it was me, I'd get the R8C Museum Delivery option and take delivery of the car in Bowling Green. Drive it home. Then go to the DMV and trade in your Certificate Of Origin for a California title, and pay several grand "Use Tax."

The first reason to do this way is because factory tours and cross-country road trips are fun.

The second reason is because I would never purchase a car from a dealership without inspecting it first. What if it's damaged, or something else is wrong? When you're buying from a local dealer, you just refuse to pay.

But with an out-of-state dealer, you had to buy the car before they loaded it on the truck. So by the time you see the car it's already your property. If something is wrong, your only recourse is to file an insurance claim against the faraway dealer and/or the trucking company, who will blame each other and/or you.

Museum Delivery requires that you pay first too, but I trust them not to screw up the car, or to see any problems are fixed properly.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 AM
SuperChevyICM
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

I can tell you for a fact that you need to make sure they order it with CA emissions. Otherwise you will hav problems registering it. I have been through this before many times. As a matter of fact I order most of my stock cars with CA emissions for this exact reason. CARB will not take any other states or federal emission it has to] be CA certified. Almost all other states will take CA so it just saves tons of headaches
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperChevyICM:
jcapps (11-28-2019), pmt67usa (12-03-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Welcome to the site, Cisco!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SuperChevyICM
I can tell you for a fact that you need to make sure they order it with CA emissions. Otherwise you will hav problems registering it. I have been through this before many times. As a matter of fact I order most of my stock cars with CA emissions for this exact reason. CARB will not take any other states or federal emission it has to] be CA certified. Almost all other states will take CA so it just saves tons of headaches
Actually it doesn't need to be ordered with Ca emission, but it does need to have both Fed and Ca emissions listed on the emissions sticker on the hood....well wherever they put it on the C8. In my experience any car ordered with any emissions rpo in the past 10 years or so for any state has both the Fed and Ca emissions listed on the underhood sticker. I have bought a couple of lightly used cars from states other than California and imported them into California. In each case I asked the seller to text me a picture of the underhood emissions sticker and in each case Ca emissions were listed on that sticker. That is what the Ca DMV will look for besides your vin when they do the initial California registration. And any car with under 7500 miles is considered "new" by the Ca DMV even if it is many years old.
The following users liked this post:
pmt67usa (11-26-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 AM
CiscoSanJose
Advanced

Thanks again everyone you gals/guys for being very helpful, it's almost like being in Hawaii with the Aloha spirit.

Again much Aloha and Mahalo, Drive safe all
Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was at my dealer today here in Northern NV finalizing my C8 order. You absolutely need to order the car with the CA emissions order code, not the federal that states 50 state legal. Cost is identical for either.

I'm on the fence since it does open up selling the car one day also to a CA buyer. I don't really want extra weight, evap canister, hoses and crap so I may leave it off and go federal emissions only. Need to think about this and study it bit more.

Cheers Dale
The following 2 users liked this post by Dale760:
jcapps (11-28-2019), pmt67usa (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

No worry. There currently is zero difference between Ca and Fed emissions controls. And in fact your car will be produced with an emissions sticker that lists both Fed and Ca emissions no matter what you order.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
pmt67usa (11-26-2019), Whiteonrice (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Dale760
Racer

Yep your right Pkincy, thank you

I happen to find this on another forum, and all C8s are 50 state legal, so I will check the CA box to have that decal on the car. I've run across this with a few motorcycles, and its blows the potential sale since I'm not to far from CA.

Emissions (for Out-of-State Purchase)

07-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Choosing the right Emissions Option Code when ordering your C8. California is pretty self explanatory, however If you live in any of the NE1 states I assume you have to order it with NE1? Also I'm ordering my car from out-of-state and having it shipped to NJ. As the vehicle is being purchased from out-of-state, the owner (me) will have to pay taxes and register it myself. Do I have to show proof at the time of registration that the car meets the proper emissions requirements for my particular state? Anyone knowledgeable or who has perhaps gone thru this before with a C7, any info you have would be most appreciated.

FE9
Emission: Federal

YF5
Emission: California

NE1
Emission: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New
York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state

NB9
Emissions override, state-specific (for dealers ordering vehicles in
(YF5) or (NE1) emission states - California, Connecticut, Delaware,
Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon,
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington)
1 - Allows a California dealer (YF5 emissions) to order (NE1) emissions with
(NB9) emissions override code for registration in (NE1) states; or, a
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New
York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington dealer
(NE1 emissions) to order (YF5) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code
for registration in California.

NC7
Emissions override, Federal (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal
emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles
being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland,
Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode
Island, Vermont or Washington)
1 - Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1)
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New
York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state
emissions requirements.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:24 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Not true. For about 10 years since all emissions are the same all cars sold anywhere in the US have both Ca and Fed on the stickers. My 08 bought from a Texan had the Ca emissions sticker on it. Order what you want but the hood sticker will be the same.

Last edited by pkincy; 11-26-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Whiteonrice (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Dale760
Racer

Ok will do ..........

Bikes are totally different unfortunately

Get notified of new replies

To New purchase of C8 Corvette from another state and not California

Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Or maybe fortunately. Hopefully they have less crazy and differing regulatioins.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

I purchased a new 2014 Stingray from a MS Dealer while living in CA.

I had it shipped to CA. On my FIRST visit to the lovely DMV I was told I had to have it Smogged before I could Register it.

The guy at the Smog Shop could not believe I had to get my BRAND NEW CORVETTE Smogged there.
He had never even seen one before.

With my Smog Certificate in hand, along with the dealer paperwork (certificate of origin) and my Checkbook, I visited the lovely DMV with all the happy Employees wearing their Government Union Tee Shirts. Very professional.

There they had to inspect the Car and make sure it had the CARB Tag under the Hood.
You would think I bought a used Chevette that left a cloud of blue smoke in its wake.

Then I handed over $5,000 for Use Tax and Registration. The end.

Hopefully you won't have to deal with such stupidity. Good luck...
glacierbrew907 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:41 PM
Shifterkartdrvr
Racer

Received 349 Likes on 169 Posts

Contact Ray or Juan at Boardwalk in Redwood City. Your card isn't charged until your build sheet is submitted. MSRP.

No need to go out of State.

Quick Reply: New purchase of C8 Corvette from another state and not California