Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota Supra ordered-now having second thoughts after seeing the C8

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Supra was pace car at watkins glen. . small two seater and homely car.. This car is really over priced. Toyota should have improved what they have which is also homely,over priced junk!.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
I'll just speak at random.....

All the Supra puristas whining about the new car not being pure? LOL.....the 4th gen was a rebadged/revamped Lexus SC. A shared 'platform' oh no, not again!! Oh the drama, Toyota pissed of all the 4th gen owners. Oh the drama, 12,000 cars sold over 6 years....that a lot (no really) of pissed of puristas. How many original owners are there? 4? Um, your trying to say Toyota should follow that business model again? Another LOL. Toyota will sell more Supras in their first year of U.S. sales than the entire 6 year run of the 4th gen. Then again, C8 pre-orders probably already eclipsed the entire 4th gen Supra production run. Oh the horror. But wait there's more!!!! But, but the 4th gen is worth sooooo much money!!! Um sure. But nobody knew that 20 years ago. So what, the Cx whatevers will never be worth a fortune. Nobody cares. Nobody buys a high production sports car....check, high production anything because they think its going to appreciate.

For a variety of reasons that I don't care what any of your opinions are, the Supra is still on my radar....as well as a C8. We'll see how it all shakes up when my RC350 F Sport lease is up. I already own a Corvette, a second wouldn't kill me.
The 4th gen Supra using a Lexus platform is not the same as it using a BMW platform. Lexus is a Toyota company. If they had based the new Supra off the LFA/LC/RC I would have been much more cool with that.

As as far as low sales that was pretty much all the “high end” Japanese sports cars. 3000GT VR-4, RX-7, NSX, the GTR didn’t even make it here, Eclipse GS-T/GSX, just all of them did terrible. The people who ended up liking them the most were kids like myself who could have bought one now but none of them lasted. I bought a new NSX, but the original is better. I’ve owned multiple C7s and they’re great. Love them. This new Supra to me is just lack luster. And it has rather boring styling to me, they should have stayed closer to the concept it was derived from.

Originally Posted by lavett
This is how I feel , but I know we are all dif .I have owned a couple supras and never did really like them . THEN, I bought my first Corvette , my next will be my fifth , If you or anyone gave me a supra , no put it better this way , You could not pay me to drive/own a supra instead of a Corvette. Money doesn't mean that much to me.I could drive/own whatever I want, and I do, A Corvette. It is not loyalty , I simply love Corvettes. With the exception of my C6 which was a lemon , I hated that piece of BS. A Supra is nothing like Corvette NOTHING.
Which Supras and then what was your first Corvette? Because I couldn’t imagine picking a non-ZR1 C4 over a 4th gen Supra Turbo. But that could be just me. The 93 C4 wasn’t as fast as a 93 Supra Turbo and I’ve always hated how the C4 looked. However, I could see this being said about any of the generations after the C4, however they all came out significantly later than the 4th Gen Supra so I’d expect them to be better. I will say this new one does nothing for me though.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Jake_The_Pit
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Just to put a final screw into this thread... Supra Launch Editions are being discounted already. Local dealers asking $52,800.....$4,200 below msrp. Yikes.
I suspect that's the C8 influence. Looks like Toyota made a mistake in partnering with BMW instead of building their own Supra, it's performance is more similar to the C7 Stingray and nowhere near the C8 Stingray.

My wife wanted the Supra and I was OK with that, until the C8 reveal. Provided the C8 doesn't have any major issues. My brother is partner in a dealer group in the DC area that has 2 Toyota stores and 4 Chevrolet among others, so when I'm ready, I will be able to get an order in.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 962 Likes on 573 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
1:40 at Road Atlanta puts the Supra a 4 seconds faster than a Caymen @ 1:44 (model not specified but not a new GT4), and 10 seconds slower than a C7Z.

I'd guess that the C8 Z51 will lap in the low-mid 1:30s.
And? I never said it was faster than a C7 Z06, or GT4.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by punky
WTF is an FR S? Gotta be some ricer bomb, LOL!
A pure, lightweight drivers car. Do your homework.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by kdphan
actually, just browsed cargurus and seeing them discounted heavily all over U.S. dealers

ROFL

try again Toyota
Total bullshit! Nice try.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Probably doesn't mean much, but the new front engine Supra has run the Buttonwillow raceway in California at 1:58.92 on the clockwise 13 configuration.

As a comparison with the twice the price+ Porsche.....

997 911 GT3--------2:01.50
997 911 GT2--------1.59.70
991 911 GT3 RS----1.54.50

Seems it handles pretty well, but not as well as the twice the price front engine twice the price+ Nissan GT-R with a 1:56.90.

Does anyone know how the 2020 Supra's time of 1:58.92 compares to a same price $58,000 base Corvette at Buttonwillow?
The Supra will get murdered by a C8.

Last edited by meadowz06; 08-04-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
A pure, lightweight drivers car. Do your homework.
"A pure lightweight drivers car". LOL!

"Pure" and "lightweight" are needed here to make excuses for all the shortcomings of these underpowered Asian tin cans that they try to call sports cars. Can't think of anyone over 25 that would care about crap like that.

Good luck with your Supras, you're really going to need it.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:39 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by docprego
Toyota lists the horsepower at 335 for the Supra and BMW lists it at 382 from the same engine. I saw the video where the Supra annihilated the Z4. Regardless of the actual rating, the Supra is down over 100 horsepower to the C8.

I've seen the Supra in person, I was at the Barrett Jackson auction in January where the first one auctioned for 2.1 million! I watched it roll off the stage 2 feet in front of me, I wasn't impressed then and I'm even less so now.

This is what happens when the bean counters have more say over the design of a "passion project" than the actual people with the passion. Toyota had EVERYTHING in house already to put out a phenomenal new Supra. Instead they partnered up with a German manufacturer and the rest is history.

I predict extremely poor sales for the Supra and the C8 is certainly a large part of the reason.
Poor sales? They are only making 30,000 units in 7 YEARS! So 4,200 and some change, a year. I agree that the worlds largest automobile company should have made the car in house. And the Supra engine has as much power as the Z4. Its already been proven on the dyno.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:42 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

"A pure lightweight drivers car". LOL!

"Pure" and "lightweight" are needed here to make excuses for all the shortcomings of these underpowered Asian tin cans that they try to call sports cars. Can't think of anyone over 25 that would care about crap like that.

Good luck with your Supras, you're really going to need it.
I don’t own a Supra. I own a C6, and FR-S. And the corvette king does not need luck. And I’m 50, so obviously, older people appreciate a pure drivers car. Your ignorance is stunning.
Rapid Fred (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by meadowz06
I don’t own a Supra. I own a C6, and FR-S. And the corvette king does not need luck. And I’m 50, so obviously, older people appreciate a pure drivers car. Your ignorance is stunning.
Is this a "pure drivers car" also?

Who in their right mind would even consider buying this turd?
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
jdurhan (08-04-2019), Mr. Toads (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by My ocean

This is my sticker. Yep those fees add up.
Get rid of the cargo net $46,
cargo carpet mat $80!!,
first aid kit $30,
emergency kit $59,
and the carbon fiber mirror covers $925!!!;
Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 506 Likes on 295 Posts

Not in, & never will be, in the same class.
ArmchairArchitect (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black
The 4th gen Supra using a Lexus platform is not the same as it using a BMW platform. Lexus is a Toyota company. If they had based the new Supra off the LFA/LC/RC I would have been much more cool with that.

As as far as low sales that was pretty much all the “high end” Japanese sports cars. 3000GT VR-4, RX-7, NSX, the GTR didn’t even make it here, Eclipse GS-T/GSX, just all of them did terrible. The people who ended up liking them the most were kids like myself who could have bought one now but none of them lasted. I bought a new NSX, but the original is better. I’ve owned multiple C7s and they’re great. Love them. This new Supra to me is just lack luster. And it has rather boring styling to me, they should have stayed closer to the concept it was derived from.

Which Supras and then what was your first Corvette? Because I couldn’t imagine picking a non-ZR1 C4 over a 4th gen Supra Turbo. But that could be just me. The 93 C4 wasn’t as fast as a 93 Supra Turbo and I’ve always hated how the C4 looked. However, I could see this being said about any of the generations after the C4, however they all came out significantly later than the 4th Gen Supra so I’d expect them to be better. I will say this new one does nothing for me though.
At least you 'get it'. When I heard of the 'new' Supra all I could think was Toyota already has a Supra....the RC series.. Dam...hop up the RC350 engine and stuff it in an 86. Or put the RC on a diet and hop up the F's V8. Regardless.....people would have bitched, whined and complained. A no win situation for Toyota. Not looking like the 'concept' is just a lame excuse. Woulda, coulda, shoulda nobody has a crystal ball. I'll venture a guess and say at least 50% all gen4 Supra buyers were not 'enthusiasts' who ever did a single mod to their cars. To say all the loyalists were let down by Toyota is a joke...all 5,000 of them? Toyota supposed to cater those 5,000? 25 years later most of those owners as old and probably cant get into a 2 door anyways. There's a sound business plan.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

At least you 'get it'. When I heard of the 'new' Supra all I could think was Toyota already has a Supra....the RC series.. Dam...hop up the RC350 engine and stuff it in an 86. Or put the RC on a diet and hop up the F's V8. Regardless.....people would have bitched, whined and complained. A no win situation for Toyota. Not looking like the 'concept' is just a lame excuse. Woulda, coulda, shoulda nobody has a crystal ball. I'll venture a guess and say at least 50% all gen4 Supra buyers were not 'enthusiasts' who ever did a single mod to their cars. To say all the loyalists were let down by Toyota is a joke...all 5,000 of them? Toyota supposed to cater those 5,000? 25 years later most of those owners as old and probably cant get into a 2 door anyways. There's a sound business plan.
I don’t think it’s an excuse to wish it looked more like the concept. To me the concept was badass. The actual model is watered down.

I don’t care so much about the loyalist because there aren’t any really. Can’t be a loyalist to a car that hasn’t been around in 2 decades and didn’t have a cult following when it was out. I loved the Supras because it’s the car that got me into cars. My uncle had a tuned 87 Turbo as well as a tuned 94 Turbo. I guess he would have been the loyalist you speak of. But he sold both before Fast & Furious came out and never would have thought they would have appreciated so much in Value. The first time I ever went 160 I was about 7/8 and it was in his 94. Been into sports cars ever since. Had they come out with a 2+2 based off the RC with less weight and a targa too with a turbo variant doing at least 500hp I would have bought it.

Im considering an RC-F right now. Supra isn’t on the table as I hate the styling.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Is this a "pure drivers car" also?

Who in their right mind would even consider buying this turd?
It is over-priced and ugly. The FR-S is neither. You are WAY too hung up on a very specific type of sports car. Variety is the spice of life...
Old 08-04-2019, 01:06 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Laguna Fred
It is over-priced and ugly. The FR-S is neither. You are WAY too hung up on a very specific type of sports car. Variety is the spice of life...
I doubt if many Corvette forum guys identify with the fart-can-crowd.
Sorry, I just don't get it, never been able to make it through more than about 5 minutes of any of those idiotic Fast and Furious flicks.
FringbirdAloha (08-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Toyota Supra ordered-now having second thoughts after seeing the C8

Old 08-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Replacing_a_GT-R
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy cow this forum is toxic. I love all cars, and joined here looking for some information on a potential replacement for my GT-R. So many of you sound like a bunch of old geezers talking about "rice burners" and "fart cans" and declaring that the C8 will destroy the Supra, the Cayman, and seemingly every other car that's not a C7 Z06, when the car hasn't even been released yet. Who's to say that the first year of the C8 isn't going to be a dumpster fire, and that the transmission will have major issues when it sits for long periods of time in a garage? Who's to say the Supra won't start a renaissance of Japanese sports cars that cater to the masses and bring more folks into the world of performance automobiles? How many of you have driven either a Supra or a C8 and can accurately judge based on personal experience which one will trounce the other?

I realize that I'm new here, but the attitude of so many people here is really turning me off to the Corvette crowd, and the C8 was the first Corvette that I've actually found interesting. Downvote me to oblivion or block me or whatever, but I guess I need to stay out of any thread that compares the C8 to any other car because any other car is a piece of crap compared to the car that none of you have even driven yet.
The following 4 users liked this post by Replacing_a_GT-R:
bbison (08-05-2019), C8god (08-04-2019), KCV (08-04-2019), RogueNinja (10-20-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_The_Pit
I suspect that's the C8 influence. Looks like Toyota made a mistake in partnering with BMW instead of building their own Supra, it's performance is more similar to the C7 Stingray and nowhere near the C8 Stingray.

My wife wanted the Supra and I was OK with that, until the C8 reveal. Provided the C8 doesn't have any major issues. My brother is partner in a dealer group in the DC area that has 2 Toyota stores and 4 Chevrolet among others, so when I'm ready, I will be able to get an order in.
Most everyone was disappointed when they found out the Supra was largely BMW sourced less the bodywork. The C8 further cemented that disappointment. I would have been interested in a Supra had it started in the upper $30k range based on its performance metrics. With options it would sticker for $45k. But you can get an awesome 1LT Vette for almost $10k less....not sure why you’d buy a Supra with so many other great options out there. I’d honestly pay just a couple thousand more and prefer a base 718 over the Supra. At least I’m getting a Porsche then.

With all that said, I may pick one up used if they depreciate like BMWs do.

Last edited by C82LT; 08-04-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Josh M
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19,'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
I have a strong feeling the Toyota Supra relaunch is going to be a huge failure thanks in part to the C8
As a huge Supra fan and former owner of 2 MKIV turbos I hope you are wrong & right haha. I think the new Supra is terrible and am still mad they produced it like that. My hope was that it would be something like 150k where it would be out of reach for a lot of people, but would be crazy performance wise. To me that would be a better option than the pile of steaming garbage we got.

On the other hand I do want it to do well so that they can continue to improve the platform. If they see it is doing well and start developing a MKVI then they will hopefully hear the fan base(they definitely are aware of people's complaints) and improve it. I think my hopes of it being in a class with like the z06 or ZR1 and what not is just a pipe dream, however I would hope that if they continue it the next generation is much improved as far as performance. I really do believe Toyota underestimated the fan base of the Supra on this one and hope they correct it in the future

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra ordered-now having second thoughts after seeing the C8