Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There is a rift forming

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:20 PM
ssteve
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyforfun
Any monkey can push a gas pedal. Younger folks just lazy and do not car about being part of the car driving experience IMO. I will move to the Porsche unless GM comes to their senses and develops a Manual option for the C8 Z06 or GS in a few years.

Sounds like it can't/won't happen because the chassis is too close to the pedal box now.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:25 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by txapezl1
Jeezus Christ. There is no rift. It's a car. Those who like it, the hype will die down by next week. For those who don't like it, will continue to not like it, but it fades into their memory and they won't care anymore. At the end of the day, it becomes just another car. Unfortunately, the fan boys have gone GT-R fanboy crazy on this car and that is prob what is egging the other side on. Got alot of sheep putting 100% of everything they got into Chevy's word. They will be disappointed. Will it be a bad *** car? Yes. Who cares. It's just another car in the evolutionary chain of the auto industry. There will be something better coming along to takes its place.

It's like social media creates these emotional challenges. Just like previous generations before it, the Corvette evolves and gains new buyers. When the C6 came out, many Corvette owners cried over the exposed head lights. When the C7 came out, many Corvette owners cried over the tail lights. In the end, you either move into a new model or stay with what you have. They are all Corvettes and they are all good and head of the class during their production run. Celebrate the change and the options. If you don't like the mid-engine, guess what?! You can still buy used or new (better hurry) front engine drive Corvettes.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 PM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

It's a Chevy, it's a Corvette and it's got a V8 in it! I'm perfectly happy with my C7 Z06, and I'm sure all the folks who get a C8 will be happy, too! No rift - just a great time to be a car guy or car girl!!!! Relax and enjoy!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by C7LOU:
p3pilot (07-20-2019), Sicky (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Put it this way, there are some who think that the Earth is still flat....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
.....still flat?
The following 3 users liked this post by Ronstar:
23/C8Z (07-20-2019), Corvette_Nut (07-21-2019), UsernameProtected (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Maybe for you. Most will move to a Porsche or other high end sports car that believes in the experience.
It seems that lots of MT advocates are moving to Porsche. The 718 GT4 is only offered with a MT; PDK is not even an option. The absence of PDK really hurts the performance of the GT4, but Porsche obviously knows its market since the best "deal" I could find on one was for $10K over sticker. Many dealers are requesting $20K ADMs. So it doesn't appear that Porsche dealers are having a problem selling MT GT4s.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 PM
usrodeo4
Drifting

Received 701 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
It seems to me there is going to be this rift in Corvette enthusiasts: The C8 -- and everything before it.

Some just can't live with the idea of a car having a mid engine and no manual box.

Others think the previous way is old school old fashioned.

Maybe that was Chevy's point -- to bring in new buyers at the expense of the loyal Corvette crowd --but I wonder if this bridge can be gapped.

"Can't we all just get along?"
Was not really a fan at the reveal but after looking at the configurator, I really am hyped about the C8...I have a "VIP" appt next week with our local Sales GM to discuss my reservation. The looks while not as visceral as a 458/488 to me, still get my blood up and the interior is gorgeous and as an Engineer the new GM tech gear/infotainment system is impressive and to me a HUGE selling point is the DCT...I owned a 750 HP 997 TT with 6MT and it was crazy fun to drive but the PDK would beat it like a step child. I am pretty much sold...EXCEPT I will most likely end up waiting to see what the Z06 engine is...if it does turn out to be a DOHC TT I will probably open the portfolio for it....if it stays a SC OHC LT engine I will probably just keep my Z06.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 07-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

There's nothing new about this intro. It's been the same at every gen change.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cars with Air Conditioning

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Some can't handle change.

It's always been that way.

My Dad hated cars with air conditioning.
Back in the old old days air conditioning units robbed horse power because of the inefficient compressors belted to the engine. Todays compressors are efficient and have little impact on the HP.
Also the old compressors were boat anchors.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:06 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 675 Posts

2018 Corvette production figures.
  • Automatic transmissions outsold manuals once again at 78%.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's Sweet 19
Back in the old old days air conditioning units robbed horse power because of the inefficient compressors belted to the engine. Todays compressors are efficient and have little impact on the HP.
Also the old compressors were boat anchors.
That is so true, and yes, they weighed a butt ton.

But today's efficient compressors use much more than those 5hp short of 500hp that many were crying about (yes, that was SAE HP).

But an AC unit still adds weight and complexity (the antitheses of simplicity - one often quoted key argument for the manual), uses power, and - ahem - "gentrifies" the occupants, as do all the other power and convenience accessories.

I was happy that the C8 dumped power steering, though. But I guess we're stuck with power brakes. Wimps.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

It's called "tribe behavior" or"us vs them"in social psychology. There is a Corvette tribe: Corvettes against all them. Then there are sub-tribes within the overall tribe. Manuals vs auto trans. Verts vs Coupes. Etc etc

The biggest segment of the sub tribe of trans by number are autos, about 80% according to GM at the reveal.

The key with tribes and sub-tribes is that the whole tribe will turn on a "them". So first you got to be an "us",a member of the Corvette tribe, then you can compete between sub-tribes. "Trolls" is an insult word labeling those who do not belong to the Corvette tribe but rather tribes such as "click counters" or "pity mes" or other such groups.

FYI I claim membership to the Corvette tribe starting on the forum in 2002 as I Bin Therbefor and more recently as Kodiak Bear with time out for membership in the Viper tribe. I also claim membership in the Brock Daytona Coupe Tribe, to say nothing of the Scarab tribe and Chaparral tribe and many other tribes. Starting in the early 1950s. I can recall being shocked when an friend's dad bought her a 54 convertible instead of a Vett because she wanted the seats to haul her friends.

By the by, there's also evidence that the sub-tribe competition is the most intense.

Now, can we get back to the C8 and some real healthy sub tribe competition?
Dethsupp0rt (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakira
Well, Chevy clarified it. They said they reached the end of the road with what FR can do. To go forward, they had to go ME.
If you like acceleration, the C8 has more of this than any C[k] before.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:34 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

It seems to me there is going to be this rift in Corvette enthusiasts: The C8 -- and everything before it.

Some just can't live with the idea of a car having a mid engine and no manual box.

Maybe that was Chevy's point -- to bring in new buyers at the expense of the loyal Corvette crowd --but I wonder if this bridge can be gapped.

Every new car is like this.

The mustang community lost their mind with the S550 back when it dropped. The amount of "its not a mustang, its a euro car" was deafening. The Jeep crowd went bonkers with the latest version.

Every enthusiast community has this problem. Part of it is emotional buy in for what you own at the time, and a new thing somehow "threatening" that.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by C7LOU
It's a Chevy, it's a Corvette and it's got a V8 in it! I'm perfectly happy with my C7 Z06, and I'm sure all the folks who get a C8 will be happy, too! No rift - just a great time to be a car guy or car girl!!!! Relax and enjoy!!!!
Best post I've read in a while. Nice job!
Gixxerman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Chevy is losing thousands of new C8 sales with no manual. But that's beside the point. I've been a Corvette fan all my life. However, there were some ugly *** late model C3s ' 79-'82 and the C4, that I wouldn't be seen in.

In fact, "Old School," is the automatic ONLY 1953 C1.

Folks, learn your Corvette history.. ..

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-20-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:52 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Put it this way, there are some who think that the Earth is still flat....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Very true. There was a big divide in the Corvette world in the early 70's when the chrome bumper, high compression small and big blocks gave away to the soft bumper, low compression cars. Seems a similar divide is forming now with the advent of the front engine Vette. and there will probably be another big divide when the electric Vette comes along. I like digressing.
Corvette_Nut (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I don’t see a rift, and if there was, I’d have nothing to do with it. And Chevy is doing it’s best to build the BEST Corvette ever - Thank You Corvette Team - to appeal to a broader consumer market. The C7 began this broader market trend with the additional options available for the Z06 and ZR1 models, ie. removal roof, convertible, automatic...
Corvette doesn’t seek to alienate any purchasers; it seeks to appeal to a far larger audience.
As a lifelong car enthusiast, and multiple Corvette owner, my buying perspective is characterized by purchasing what best meets my needs and wants. If it’s “old school” muscle, the 427 ci ‘67 coupe was fantastic. Exclusiveness was found in a ‘63 SWC. “Newer school” effortless performance was found in a ‘13 Anniversary ZR1. I’d hoped to secure a C7 ZR1 for more exclusive, high performance but that didn’t happen.

Hey, last year someone thought an ‘old school’ ‘63 Ferrari GTO was worth $70 million. They found what they were looking for.
As has been stated many times in different threads, relationally, persons possessing negative dispositions will continue to exist.
Enjoy today’s high performance vehicle landscape and buy the vehicle of your dreams...for today. Then dream BIGGER for tomorrow...and make that dream come true.
That’s what the Corvette Team is doing for us!!!

Get notified of new replies

To There is a rift forming

Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM
1stls7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I am just jealous of that dual clutch! any way of adding that to a C6
Old 07-20-2019, 06:10 PM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Any monkey can push a gas pedal. Younger folks just lazy and do not car about being part of the car driving experience IMO. I will move to the Porsche unless GM comes to their senses and develops a Manual option for the C8 Z06 or GS in a few years.

Maybe for you. Most will move to a Porsche or other high end sports car that believes in the experience.
I think you got it all wrong. There are a lot of younger folks who like manuals. In fact, Jalopnik and it’s readers have a “save the manuals” mantra. Many younger people are buying up the manual M5s, from e28 up to the e60. Or the manual M3s, from the e30 to current F80. There are those who want the manual Mustang, especially the GT350, and the Manual Camarod. And many are looking for the manual Chevy SS.

Go ahead and move to Porsche (Carrera 2/4?), without knowing if the new GT3/GT3RS (that is the higher spec NA engine model) is not PDK only.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Who the **** cares?

It is a car, either you like it and you buy it, or you don't.

I like the car, I'll buy the car. Do I care what anyone else thinks, no.

From being at 2 events I can tell you I am not a Corvette person. We did at the Corral at Road America one year. I have never seen a more **** retentive bunch in my life. I watched a guy get out of his C5 then use a towel to close the door and wipe the door, then he used said towel to open the hatch and close it. It was a 10 minute operation by the time he got done. I think he just forgot the perimeter tape at home to rope the car off.

When we said we drove our C7 750 miles to the track, and no we didn't wash it they were all aghast.

I saw this behavior repeated over and over. It was the worlds largest orchestrated car wash during the race. They all kept offering me cleaning products like it was water and we were stuck in the middle of the desert.

Those aren't car people to me, they are caretakers of a moving statue. That is what most Corvette people are.
zeke2u (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: There is a rift forming