Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye-Bye chrome wheels!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
As said, not my monkeys not my circus, but the C8 is going to take a while to get out there. Maybe you should consider taking some time off of CF, lower your blood pressure a little. No one is forcing you to click.
Ditto. BP= 125/80. Thanks for the time off recommendation. Appreciate all your concern but your monkeys seem awful bothered too. So clever.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:07 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerRik
I just bought my 2018 Stingray two weeks ago. It has the Gloss Black wheels They look great out in the sun from 5 feet away. But from 25 feet away, they disappear and start looking like gaping black holes in the cars sleek lines. All my friends tell me they are the best looking wheels I could have on the car.

I have been trying to get used to them, but I just can't. I don't care for chrome wheels too much either, but black is worse. At least the majority of people I know think black wheels are amazing, so at least they should be easy to sell.

I am going to buy some American Racing AR924s in Graphite. I looked at them today at a wheel and tire shop and they are an amazing gunmetal color. I think they will look fantastic on my Watkins Glen Grey C7.
You couldn’t have said it any better...You know exactly what you like..And ...why you like it...,
Where as your friends we’re TOLD what they like.
Completely different.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
No armchairing here! This is not a black vs chrome debate! There are more wheel option out there! The typical minority with their loud microphones are out and getting all bent out of shape. Chrome wheels were once appropriate but times change and typical people stuck in the past and can't get over it! All you have to look and find another high-line car offering chrome wheels....you won't find one! There is a reason for that and there is a reason GM gave up big profits and choose to not offer them anymore! This is something that if you have to explain more than once then no point in trying anymore just like trying to explain to the rapper with the gold bling teeth that it's trashy and tacky but he's thinking it's stylish and flashy!
This from a guy that begins in this thread with:

Hallelujah!! You know internally a lot on the Corvette team were embarrassed that this option was still being offered!

You know this "fact" first hand from talking to a lot of people on the Corvette team? Or, is it just some made up rumor repeated in the forum? All the subjective talk like "were once appropriate" "typical people stuck in the past" "typical minority with their loud microphones" is indicative of your personal bias and opinion. I didn't realize my microphone was any different than yours. It does not mean that you have the only "correct" belief. What? Based on a comparison of other so-called "high-line" cars? You like what you like. I've been buying Corvettes for forty years and many others longer. I own performance vehicles with chrome wheels, powder coat silver, polished aluminum and black too. Some cars I have black cups and chrome street wheels for them. Maybe someone will put a set of 26" chrome donks on a C8 which would be awful in my opinion. But that's okay for them. To simply attack what others may like that because it is different than what you like is wrong on several levels. I am glad GM developed the C8 to appeal to a younger demographic, after all customers like me are buying our last Corvettes. It would be foolish to not provide options more likely to be bought by a younger buyer. Now that's just my opinion. I just think it's wrong to criticize others but not be able to handle rebuttal when it comes your way. The "armchair" reference was directed at the fact that people are waiting for their C8s and basically have nothing but the past and conjecture about the future model to sit back and comment about. I'm shootin' for a C8, twin-turbo, flat plane V8 with 19"/20" bright chrome wheels. Lots of haters I know but that's what I like and I am spending my green on it. One can always aspire to change their ways for the better. Who knows?
The following 2 users liked this post by ROBWILKER:
Grzldvt1 (09-28-2019), Newton06 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:47 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Out of 34,822 2019 Corvettes built over the past 20 months, 7,632 were delivered with $1,995 chrome wheels. Do the math, and see how many dollars that adds up to, with most of it being profit to GM and the dealers.
Seems to me, that throwing away some 15 million dollars in sales of chrome wheels is kind of stupid.
GM would be stupid. But GM can make it up by charging $400- $600 for no-cost options like different color seat belts, calipers, emblems and such that cost GM nothing over the standard fare.Notice how Chevy offers dull black calipers as the standard equipment on the C8 Stingray? Think that was purely a marketing decision knowing most would pony up $600 bucks in pure profit to get the caliper color the buyer "wants?" There are those that don't deal in the facts, just their "truth." So, according to the facts you report, 22% of 2019 Corvette buyers opted for chrome wheels. That seems to be a significant portion of the current market. There have been other similar perceived poor marketing decisions like failure to offer a manual transmission to 20% plus of the Corvette buyers that want one. Just as those who yearn for the C8 offering a manual transmission in the future, I hope for a quality forged chrome plated wheel option for the performance variants. If not, the aftermarket will fill the void.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Bye-bye chrome wheels
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (09-28-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 06:34 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I’m putting 2019 ZR1 Chrome wheels as soon as I take possession of the C8.Believe it or not on my C7 people would stop
and take notice.Won trophies.
Unless you have special ones made for the C8 they will not fit the mid-engine set up. One main reason sports car manufacturers stoped offering Chrome wheels is because of the excessive weight. I think the best compromise is to get wheels that are polished, they are lighter and still offer a shine.

During one of Tadges presentations about the C8 he made a snarky comment about not offering Chrome wheels anymore, obviously he felt it was a time for a change.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-27-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:54 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Unless you have special ones made for the C8 they will not fit the mid-engine set up. One main reason sports car manufacturers stoped offering Chrome wheels is because of the excessive weight. I think the best compromise is to get wheels that are polished, they are lighter and still offer a shine.

During one of Tadges presentations about the C8 he made a snarky comment about not offering Chrome wheels anymore, obviously he felt it was a time for a change.
Excessive weight? LOL

If anyone was seriously concerned about wheel weight (and why anyone other than racers or hardcore track rats would be), they would replace the cast garbage with forged.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:01 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,324 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
SOS. Senseless crap like this never ends at CF.Couldn't you think up anything better than that to vent your hatred for what others may want? Exactly what is the point? So you like lifeless black voids in your wheelwells? Maybe too lazy to clean off brake dust? IDK. A typical "somebody" that likes to stir the pot and exalt themselves as the be all, know all armchair guru expert on everything that is right, or in most cases, wrong. Another big fat steaming nothing post The moniker says is all.

Well, the older you get, the more difficult it is for the eyes to see detail of a black wheel, especially if the car is a lighter color. The contrast creates a "lifeless black void" to older eyes.

Now I understand why the young crowd likes them and the old crowd doesn't... old eyes!
Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

How much excessive weight?
Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JockItch
Well, the older you get, the more difficult it is for the eyes to see detail of a black wheel, especially if the car is a lighter color. The contrast creates a "lifeless black void" to older eyes.

Now I understand why the young crowd likes them and the old crowd doesn't... old eyes!
Another valid opinion. Just wondering if that crotch rash gets worse with age? LOL. My 65 year old eyes are still 20/20 and I get in/out of every generation of Corvette, including the C8 just fine. Do all the younger guys here hate their parents too? I just don't get all the personal crap because someone's individual taste is different than someone else's. Maybe I am naive but I will continue to get whatever I like if it's that important to me. These cars are just toys to me so why not play with what I like? Not what somebody else likes. I think it would be stupid to buy something if it's not tolerable. Having a preference does not mean I am a hater. It just seems that because so many people in CF like something they consider more timely and modern, they feel compelled to espouse personal disdain for those who do not agree with them. Must be I just don't care for black wheels even though I own a couple sets of black wheels because the vehicles were equipped with them when I bought new. The Gen6 ZL1 Camaro only came with black wheels. Looking to have them powder coated silver over the winter.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROBWILKER:
JockItch (09-28-2019), Warp Factor (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Excessive weight? LOL

If anyone was seriously concerned about wheel weight (and why anyone other than racers or hardcore track rats would be), they would replace the cast garbage with forged.

Excessive weight is the 400 pounds that the C8 weighs above the weight of my C6 Z06. Then they worry about adding one or two pounds of weight of chrome wheels. LOL
ROBWILKER (09-29-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
This from a guy that begins in this thread with:

Hallelujah!! You know internally a lot on the Corvette team were embarrassed that this option was still being offered!

You know this "fact" first hand from talking to a lot of people on the Corvette team? Or, is it just some made up rumor repeated in the forum? All the subjective talk like "were once appropriate" "typical people stuck in the past" "typical minority with their loud microphones" is indicative of your personal bias and opinion. I didn't realize my microphone was any different than yours. It does not mean that you have the only "correct" belief. What? Based on a comparison of other so-called "high-line" cars? You like what you like. I've been buying Corvettes for forty years and many others longer. I own performance vehicles with chrome wheels, powder coat silver, polished aluminum and black too. Some cars I have black cups and chrome street wheels for them. Maybe someone will put a set of 26" chrome donks on a C8 which would be awful in my opinion. But that's okay for them. To simply attack what others may like that because it is different than what you like is wrong on several levels. I am glad GM developed the C8 to appeal to a younger demographic, after all customers like me are buying our last Corvettes. It would be foolish to not provide options more likely to be bought by a younger buyer. Now that's just my opinion. I just think it's wrong to criticize others but not be able to handle rebuttal when it comes your way. The "armchair" reference was directed at the fact that people are waiting for their C8s and basically have nothing but the past and conjecture about the future model to sit back and comment about. I'm shootin' for a C8, twin-turbo, flat plane V8 with 19"/20" bright chrome wheels. Lots of haters I know but that's what I like and I am spending my green on it. One can always aspire to change their ways for the better. Who knows?
Again, if this really needs to be explained to you then no point trying anymore. It's called image preservation and perception. Go back and read my reference about Cadillacs image and how they are still paying for the stigma attached to their cars. They make good cars but many (including myself) would not give them the time of day! And also to the rapper thinking his gold teeth are stylish & flashy meanwhile the majority are actually embarrassed for them!

Clearly the Corvette team does not want this with the C8 and that is why they chose to kill off the chrome wheels despite the large amount of profits they are giving up. They are choosing proper image over $$.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Again, if this really needs to be explained to you then no point trying anymore. It's called image preservation and perception.
Is that why you stuff socks down your pants?
(Hint: Be sure to stuff them down the front, and not the back.)
Old 09-28-2019, 12:16 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

You want to see chrome wheels in the wild? Come visit SoCal where every other vehicle has them. Most look like booty, some look decent, few look good. This is the place where chrome lovers will fit right in.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:25 AM
65 Drivr
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 72 Posts

Again, if this really needs to be explained to you then no point trying anymore. It's called image preservation and perception. Go back and read my reference about Cadillacs image and how they are still paying for the stigma attached to their cars. They make good cars but many (including myself) would not give them the time of day! And also to the rapper thinking his gold teeth are stylish & flashy meanwhile the majority are actually embarrassed for them!

Clearly the Corvette team does not want this with the C8 and that is why they chose to kill off the chrome wheels despite the large amount of profits they are giving up. They are choosing proper image over $$.
What world are you living in?
Have you spent a lot of time in the automotive industry to reach this conclusion?
Old 09-28-2019, 06:58 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Chrome is an older generation fad and this new vette was obviously not marketed for them. They can no longer get in and out of this type of car.
That is complete non-sense. Surprisingly that is coming from a moderator.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:57 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

There's only one important note to add: The aftermarket wheel boys are licking their chops. I wonder how many "thank you" notes Mary Barra and/or Tadge received from them. They're going to have a field day.
BTW, As I recall, the original C5 didn't offer chrome/polished wheels for three years (the original wagon wheels). Did everyone see how that turned out?
ROBWILKER (09-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Bye-Bye chrome wheels!!!!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

why all the opinions, who cares what the other guy does as long as he is happy.

Last edited by Racer86; 09-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Having see the new C8, and the available wheel selection, no chrome wheels is just another reason not to consider it at this time. For me personally, it has more strikes against than for. That could change over time.
ROBWILKER (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:47 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

That in-depth authoritative analysis of GM management and marketing is very special.

Quick Reply: Bye-Bye chrome wheels!!!!