Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm far from disappointed, but I think I'll hold onto my GS a bit longer. I have no buyers remorse for buying a 19 GS. Bottom Line: Nice Work GM!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by therealviper
So you like form over function? I like the wart on the side. Its the most aggressive styling on the car. And with a big V8 there needing to be cooled, not some eco 6 or 4 cylinder, it needs to be large for air flow. We don't want the cooling problem with C7 Z06 again. yea WART!

Regards,
All the engine cooling requirements are up front.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM
ericnolan661
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a Shelby GT350 driver. I've been in mustangs much of my driving life. When the, "new" 2015 mustangs came out, there was a lot of push back from the mustang community. It doesn't look like a mustang, it looks too European, it looks like an Aston Martin (how would that be bad?). But as the cars came out, there was near universal appreciation. I suspect the folks who dislike it's Non-Corvette looks will come around really quickly.

This is a really beautiful American Sports Car and I suspect it's performance will put a smile on all of our faces. It's got me cross shopping!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm glad everybody doesn't like it..... That takes a few buyers out of the market and means I might get mine sooner. Bottom line is you (GM) can't please everybody, so those who don't like it, fine, just go over to the forum of the car you do like.
The following users liked this post:
gthal (07-21-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:34 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Pretty much boils down to this, the moanin', groanin', and bitchin'................who cares.

You want one, get one, very simple game.
KevDude (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Hurricane

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
They showed it at the end, or close to what it will be.

https://www.motor1.com/news/360696/c...ble-previewed/

Convertible version looks great!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I think GM made all the right moves with this car in terms of tech, and for the most part styling, to keep the Corvette relevant for the future. The only negative for me is the rear end. It looks like it was designed by a different design team.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Aaron91RS
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh
I'll say I loved the c7 and loved the c7 tail lights so I am not a hater with new things. I am also the younger generation GM is supposedly targeting, although they keep showing pics of a guy in a suit loading golf clubs so I don't think they know who they want to target.

So to me it's like the c6 was to the c5. A nice refresh but not ground breaking like the c5 and c7 were. Guess GM only makes the odd generations great

Putting the top in the in the cargo trunk and not above the engine where you have empty space like the NSX is STUPID. Top looks tiny even compared to the previous generations.
Having the fake windows behind the door instead of making them usable is STUPID. If those windows are real which doesn't look like it from the pics then I retract this.
Having the buttress destroys the visibility already more then the c7 does and it already sucked. I can see out my c3 and c5 great. I get from a design point of view it looks cool but then again at least make those fake rear windows useful.
The vertical button stack annoys me. It will work so I understand why they did it, it just doesn't look right and they should have found another way, maybe like the cts-v.
The ugly base model wheels are a cross between the base c7 and what you buy on ebay. Just horrible!

Over all there was no surprise in the looks. Some said the hood would be controversial so I was expecting something like the ferrari 488 pista hood, but it's not so I don't get what those people were talking about.
The side and scoop are ok. Still a lot of bill board space on the rear fender like I suspected. Overall it's not ugly and I'd certainly drive it but it wasn't the omg that's a sexy new style like the c7 was.

I'm happy the engine is in the back. They should have done it years ago but they like to run 10-15 years behind everyone else. It's not AWD yet so even though Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Acura, Nissan and every body else has been for years GM is behind the curve. I'm sure in a couple years when they add it, it will jump the price big time. So at that point I can pick up a Lamborghini Huracan or a Chevy for close to the same price and the Lamborghini won't depreciate to nothing in a few years.

Cliff notes:I wanted a C7 bad when it came out. The C8 is ok, but not enough to want to buy one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Aaron91RS:
jules9 (07-19-2019), TammyG (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering- Why the large center console like the C7? What's under there? Seems cramped. The Ferrari 458 has a minimal much lower console.....

I guess I'd have to sit in it.

Last edited by Bob Turner; 07-19-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: word placement
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
4Gondor
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice, Vernon! My wife says NO. Daughter says she likes the c7 best. And my son asks if it is faster than the ZR1. Lol. Yet, after building it online, it is pretty sweet, despite the pug nose and Camaro rear. I’ll keep y’all posted on what I decide.

Originally Posted by Vernon
Welcome!

My advice...Hold off on buying your first Corvette until you see (in person) and drive the C8.
Most vehicle purchases are a compromise. You might find the C8 driving experience ticks more ‘pro’ boxes than first thought.

If the C7 still appeals most, I’d suggest buying unmodified.

Again, welcome, and enjoy the purchase journey.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone notice that when he drove the Corvette on the stage in the Reveal that the windshield wipers were up but not moving. Wonder what that was all about.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM
jules9
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

They should of called it a Fervette. Really oon the fence with this one. I like my C& Z-51 better so far. Have to see it in person though.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Old buckeye
Anyone notice that when he drove the Corvette on the stage in the Reveal that the windshield wipers were up but not moving. Wonder what that was all about.
I noticed that too. It appears he snagged the wiper stalk when hitting the Start/Stop button on the way out.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS

Putting the top in the in the cargo trunk and not above the engine where you have empty space like the NSX is STUPID. Top looks tiny even compared to the previous generations.
Agreed! I hardly removed mine, but was hoping to get a power option which would encourage more use of the removable top.

The vertical button stack annoys me. It will work so I understand why they did it, it just doesn't look right and they should have found another way, maybe like the cts-v.
It's my belief that the vertical stack and center console is out of function for the Left or Right hand drive. Just a few different parts for each this way.
TheGadgetGuru (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 PM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree as this would allow the engine to be visible with the top on and preserve the rear storage when the top is stored.

After all, don't golfers want to take the top off when going to and from the course?
Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 PM
brandyspaw
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Exterior wise--I really like the car. I'm not wild about the rear end treatment but then I wasn't too enthused with the C7 rear end either. But I have to remember its a mass produced car made to appeal to a wide audience. Its not made to suit my particular tastes so I look at the total design and see how it comes together holistically. Taken as a whole, the C8, with the right wheels and trim will suite me just fine.

I do dislike the interior design with its current trend toward integrating so many functions into the touch screen and I'm also not liking that long single bar with all the button controls. I feel a drivers cockpit should be more intuitive to use so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to use the controls. The C8 interior seems more gimmicky than user friendly. However, I'll reserve judgement until I get to see how it works in real life instead of my impressions from pics/videos.

So overall---its a car I'd like to get eventually. The only thing is that by adding it to my list I'll likely have to push a C2 off the list but the C8 is definitely a goal to work toward.

Last edited by brandyspaw; 07-19-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jules9
They should of called it a Fervette. Really oon the fence with this one. I like my C& Z-51 better so far. Have to see it in person though.
Or maybe reserve judgement until you drive it? I mean, that's the most important thing . . . right?
Maxie2U (07-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To How many disappointed?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:08 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fast jackson
Very disappointed. I love driving mid engine cars, but I think Chevrolet tried to check to many boxes off on this car. A mid engine sports car isn’t meant to carry two sets of golf clubs. In my opinion that’s why it doesn’t have that awe appeal that a Ferrari or McLaren carries.
It looks better than the Ferrar 488 and McLaren 570s IMO.
Maxie2U (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Turner
I'm wondering- Why the large center console like the C7? What's under there? Seems cramped. The Ferrari 458 has a minimal much lower console.....
I guess I'd have to sit in it.
The high center console is there to house the center beam for rigidity, allowing for lower side sills making it easier to enter..
Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

If the top was kept just above the engine, you'd have heat damaging your top. I don't think you want your top to be ENGINE HOT when you want to put it back on or to fall apart/warp due to heat.

Quick Reply: How many disappointed?