Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,818 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Trying to appease everyone while putting down the best lap times I think they didn't over all great job on the design for what they have they have done To be able to move this down an assembly line with the workers they have Throwing these Carstogether hundreds of times A-day.

Not a fan of the nose that's because it's so short and we all know Corvette to have that long nose that we fell in love with since the C2.

The $60000 pipe dream is what gets me laughing inside this car will be bumped up incrementally over the next couple years than any version I would ever consider owning is probably going to push 80 grand and to be quite honest I could never see myself going back to abase it would have to be the 06 version which means I'll be up over a 100 easy since my new 19 and order is a 100 already.

This is what you get when you design a mid engine car we all know was coming we have the deal with it hopefully one day we'll produce a front engine 2 seat sports car for the GT toring crowd like myself who doesn't track my Corvette but enjoys the sportiness and exotic looks of them that the Camaro doesn't have at least in this generation Maybe that's where the Camaro will go and I will end up only a Camaro again knows.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM
born2beS12
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It has been discussed here many times, but bears mentioning again that there is no manual transaxle (a requirement for an ME) currently produced that can handle the torque announced for the LT2 tonight. I wish there were but right now that's where things stand.

Porsche can still do in their 911 versions that develop under 400 ft lbs.
Then how was Ford able to put a manual transaxle behind the supercharged 5.4L in the 05/06 GT? It produced 500nm stock, however many owners drastically increased that number significantly.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think they did a great job. With the announced performance specs and price, nothing competes.

Virtually all of the rational folks here have been saying for more than a year that it is totally obvious GM will not deviate from the "best bang for the buck" formula for Corvette, and it's always nice to see rationality prevail. Mark Ruess made a point of saying that.
When you think about all the time and effort that went into design, engineering, testing, etc., etc., it's a pretty amazing car. I actually like the looks, but would change a few minor things. When you're building a car for the masses, you're not going to please everyone. It'll be interesting to see if they come out with a Z06 version with a little more power. All in all, I think they did a great job.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 AM
born2beS12
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

My only disappointment is with the logo. For such a radically different design from the c7 or any other generation before it, all they did was take the c7 logo and remove the lower gap. Why not give the C8 its own flag design? A quick glance and you cant tell the c8 logo from the c7 logo.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Haters bash the new Corvette every time theres change. Most typically cant afford the latest & greatest (But they will ALWAYS say they can) so they bash the car and hopelessly envy them when they see one creeping up in the rear view or one pulls along the side while they are with their wife/girlfriend and they ask "Is that the NEW Vette? That's HOT!!!" Then guys like me peek over and smile with a thumbs up KNOWING its just killing them right now...

Hey I could be wrong...The haters will say Im wrong...But I think we all know the truth LOL! Its okay, Im just glad Im afforded the means to buy what I want, when I want and live in the greatest country in the world!

I personally love the new design...Could be some enhancements but Chevy got it right overall. I can only imagine how smokin hot the Z06 is going to be so I'll be sitting on the sideline waiting for that beast to be released. Cant wait to see it on the street and just remember guys, there are people out there that will say Beyonce is fat and ugly...Thats because they dont have a shot in hell to even pick through her garbage...Same rule applies!

Bravo Chevy! Ohh Rah!
So let me get this straight. If someone doesn't like something it's because they can't afford it. Yes, you could be wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by jschindler:
tcweidner (07-19-2019), UsernameProtected (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

A dud imho.

However, the proof is in the pudding.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Rating scale:
Exterior 85%
Interior styling 85%
Seating & leg room: 85%
Performance-based off what they have said, still need testing data: 90%:

Guys remember this is the BASE-CAR, not the Z or ZR1.

I been blessed and have owned 6 mid-engine exotic cars. For those that have never driven one, it's hard to explain the difference in direct steering you feel compared to an FE car. Even though all 6 were from different manufacturers they all had one thing in common the steering. Tadge tried to articulate it in his presentation, it's so different than an FE it is hard to put into words. This car regardless of what you think of the looks and moving the engine to the middle is an incredible upgrade to the previous generation. The interior quality, the performance with 0 to 60 times under 3 seconds in a Z51 package car is incredible ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!. I don't drink the Kool-Aide but will be happy when mine is in my driveway around the 1st Q of 2020.

4 Corvettes I have owned: L82 C3/80, 03/C5 Z06 Lingenfelter, 14/C7 Z51 & 15/Z06.

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-19-2019 at 09:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
craig1952 (07-20-2019), GeauxTigers1 (08-02-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m not disappointed because it’s what I expected from the renders but think they could have done a bit more with the exterior. I think the interior is great. Overall for a base car starting below $60k I think it’s a great car for looks and performance and will sell very well. Personally I think the rear looks kind of boxy. I actually felt the same way when the c7 was released. It wasn’t until the Z06 came out that I really liked the car. So my guess is I will probably like the c8Z version better because it’ll have the wider body which will add some more curves to it. Also I have an M7 so hope they will bring it back somewhere down the line. For now I will be holding on to my c7Z but I am excited to see the c8 in person
Old 07-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 424 Posts

I need to see it in person. I purchased a new C7 convertible when the test vehicles started to circulate around the country, happy that I did. The one thing that made me laugh; the front trunk will actually hold a small overnight bag (wonderful), there is even a video. The Chevrolet Corvair's front trunk appears to be a lot bigger.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 355 Likes on 192 Posts

Well said! This is a supercar for under 60K. It is undeniably exotic in every measure of design and performance, but very non-exotic in price and rarity.

This is going to blow the exotic market up. The only reason to spend more is for a name.

Originally Posted by johnnystock
Where the f*** os the Camaro in this mid supercar ? Plp are seeing things..

So most plp not liking it did not like vette or C7 and prefer Camaro? ..but theyre going to buy one? Loll

This car is flatout a revolution in every way. Its soo good that it will kill the market.

Anyone saying its meh is gonna look dumb when this SuperVette is gonna roll in front of them.

Id sell my pickup and Camaro to buy one.

Just WOW
The following users liked this post:
lund pro v (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Not as bad as I thought it would look - it actually looks pretty nice overall. Having said that, it doesn't blow me away enough to make me want to trade in my C7.

There are some things about it that I just don't like. The front end looks way too... pointy? I agree with those who say the rear looks way too camaroish, though it doesn't necessarily look bad. The stock wheels are atrocious and so is that steering wheel... wtf is the next steering wheel gonna be an octagon or something?

495HP? You couldn't come in at over 500? C'mon man.

I love the transmission, I like how you can see the engine through the rear window and rear side scoops look badass.

Maybe it will grow on me and I'll change my mind, but I definitely don't hate it overall. Love the performance and they kept the price down. Overall they did a nice design job. Will be interesting to see what gremlins the car has in it's first year...
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1107
After 5 Corvettes, 3 Vipers and a hellcat challenger current Stryker green GTS 2014, I like my viper better. The c8 looks like the nsx very disappointing...
The renderings were pretty much right on the mark which surprises me. I thought the side of the car would be different. It is very close to a NSX design and not as exotic as I had hoped. That will change as the model is modified in years to come. I will be interested with the first year buyers as to what issues arise with this design and ease/cost of maintenance. Many changes made and hopefully GM pulled off this mid-engine concept without any major issues. I am very surprised that they kept the base price near the $60,000 mark. With options, probably $80,000 to $90,000 will be easy to reach.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM
C3Todd
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No disappointment here. The car is a huge step forward. There are indeed design influences from other manufacturers but I don’t care. I’ve reserved a C8 and look forward to parking it next to the ‘70.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is plain sick. It will take all my will power not to pull the trigger......
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM
K03
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything about it has exceeded my expectations as far as looks, performance, and price. Though with all of the features it has I feel like there's a lot that can go wrong with it and I'm a bit wary with how reliable it's going to be. My biggest disappointment is the lack of a manual. Though maybe if I actually drive one my mind will be changed. Never driven a car with a DCT before so I can't really make judgments.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Scudz
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 192 Posts

I had a used C4 when I was 22 and thought it looked awesome. As I grew older I realized what a dog it was on power and today I do not think it is attractive at all. No generation since then has appealed to me until the C6, but it wasn’t enough too hook me. When I saw the C7, I had to have one and have been admiring it for 3 summers now. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the mid engine, like it would not be a real corvette anymore. After seeing the live stream, I am very impressed. For me, cars always look better in person so I’m thinking the C8 is going to be another gotta have, but I’ll wait for a higher tier model. I guess I’m willing to look forward instead of backwards on this even though I’m the type of person that doesn’t like change.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM
CrackRox21Z06
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If vendors here design a nice NON-camaro rear end they will sell like hotcakes. I just can't get over Corvette taking a nearly identical camaro rear end and slapping it on the new C8. The C8 corvette deserves better. I could understand if the camaro rear end looked good, but in my opinion it does not.

Get notified of new replies

To How many disappointed?

Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Some of the renders we've seen were close enough that my initial thought was "meh". I started to warm to it the more looked at. Hoping it even looks better in person. Still not completely enamored with the side scoop design. But it is what it is, love it, hate it, we live with it. If I order one, it will be with a body color trim piece around that scoop. That black trim piece just doesn't do it for me at all.

Performance looks to be a nice step up. Regardless of what GM reports as base HP numbers.
Interior design looks good, thoughtful and intuitive (I'll reserve final judgement until I see how the drive selections flip switches feel and work)
Storage seems ample (should keep the Golfers happy)
Cockpit not being a tub design should make entry and exit easy
Ability to program a front lip lift to mitigate scrapping is a big plus.
Price point is a huge plus. IN the $50's (even at $59,995), it appears to be a real bargain

Have to see how well optioned the 1LT will be. I can't imagine it being less than what came with the base C7. In fact, it would appear Nav comes standard in the base car (which for my 2015 was an option as well as was the automatic.. Factor those two additions on to a new C7 and you are flirting w/ the base price of the C8. .That is pretty impressive

I can see where the cab forward will increase front and visibility, but wonder about the rearward views. I understand that there will be cameras, but until I see what's displayed I'm a bit concerned.

I noticed in the presentation that it was mentioned that the first gear is lower than the C7 variants (which accounts for the sub 3 sec 0-60), I wonder if there will be a penalty paid as speed increases and gears are shifted? It just seems like there may be a flat spot somewhere up the line. (or not). They didn't mention 1/4 mile times. And yes I know, there is more to a car's performance that 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but it is an established benchmark we all use to compare a car's performance. Not a big deal for the majority of buyers since most don't race but only play with the acceleration around town or on the highway. I've not raced 1/4 mile a distance, but have played with 0-60 quite a bit, even in town.

As far as the overall presentation, I would have liked to hear more specifics on the car rather than a walk down memory lane.

My wife says I should get one..............................we shall see.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by K03
Everything about it has exceeded my expectations as far as looks, performance, and price. Though with all of the features it has I feel like there's a lot that can go wrong with it and I'm a bit wary with how reliable it's going to be. My biggest disappointment is the lack of a manual. Though maybe if I actually drive one my mind will be changed. Never driven a car with a DCT before so I can't really make judgments.
Does anyone know the location of the gas tank(s) on the C8? In video at a gas station, the person was filling the C8 at about the same location as on the C7.
If near engine you would hope that GM would ever need to send out this letter on a C8: "GM Sends Letters to Selected Corvette Owners of Potential C7 Corvette Fuel Tank Leak"
Just wondering after seeing pictures of the McLaren Senna problem.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Disappointed in what? You crazy?
That high spoiler option really helps, IMO (I'm sure others hate it). I couldn't get it to show up in the configurator with the options I had.
The following users liked this post:
tcweidner (07-19-2019)

Quick Reply: How many disappointed?