Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reveal disappointment...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 AM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
There should of been more bikini clad model's also,fact there were none...ok the C8 was sexy.
I agree with this and with the other guy that said the reveal seemed waaay too PC. I am all for expanding the audience of potential buyers, but it seemed like they were trying a little hard at the beginning. An edict of Mary B perhaps?

Ok, bikini clad models would have been GREAT. Also, wouldn't it have been funny if Mark Reuss would have gotten out of the C8 and quipped ..."didn't crash this one"! "Little bit of an outside joke"! That would have endeared him to a lot of folk.

In the end...I am stoked and want one!

Last edited by Meanmyz; 07-19-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I can’t get past the LOOK of the car. It may have many tech improvements, but that matters nothing to me if the appearance isn’t there. I would say that maybe 25% MAX of the audience clapped at the reveal when they saw it.

I don’t care if it drives itself or of any other high-tech stuff.

I think that my black lowered C5 coupe with C6 chrome wheels and blacked out glass looks great. That’s not because I own a C5. I could afford any newer generation including the C8, but I don’t want one.

NEXT CASE

Last edited by StevieB; 07-19-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I can’t get past the LOOK of the car. It may have many tech improvements, but that matters nothing to me if the appearance isn’t there. I would say that maybe 25% MAX of the audience clapped at the reveal when they saw it.

I don’t care if it drives itself or of any other high-tech stuff.

I think that my black lowered C5 coupe with C6 chrome wheels and blacked out glass looks great. That’s not because I own a C5. I could afford any newer generation including the C8, but I don’t want one.

NEXT CASE

I do appreciate your opinion (not trying to be a jerk, do appreciate it and understand it too) and appreciated my Grandmother's as well. She wouldn't talk on the phone in 1963 when it rained, was sure lightening hitting the wire would kill her. She didn't believe astronauts orbited the earth (sorry John Glenn), and used hot irons heated over the fireplace to iron clothes.

Keep enjoying your current Vette. The great part is Corvette designs are timeless and capture the heart of each generation and I am certain some folks that buy a new C8 will keep it, despise the C11 upon its release.

Remember Ford disliked the mustang prototype, wanted a rear seat. The point is design is subjective.

Last edited by zland; 07-19-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 AM
SunnyBlessings
Cruising

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts
Default They blew it

1) GM spent months, and millions of marketing/advertising dollars, to prepare everyone for the Reveal
2) the presenters strongly encouraged visiting their website to check options/make reservation/pre-order
3) I was ready, after the Reveal, to check options then place an order

The price point of $60k is too good to pass up. I have a Lotus V8 I paid over $100k for back in 2002 (25th anniversary edition Esprit). Although it weights around 600 pounds less than the new C8, the performance blows my Esprit away.

I have a software engineering background. GM needs to FIRE, FIRE FIRE and aggressively INSULT their IT department.
EVERYONE USES THE INTERNET. EVERY SINGLE POTENTIAL BUYER of that high-performance car uses the Internet.

AND they had MONTHS to idiot-proof, and bullet-proof that website. Instead the web site was UNUSABLE.

So they're very disorganized and that does not bode well for the car. You're always taking a risk with a "first model year" vehicle anyway.

If they are so disorganized they cannot get EVERY STINKIN ORDER that they enticed us into after the build up, the millions they spent on the build up to this event, this level of disorganization does NOT BODE WELL for their management.

You can attack large websites and their is defensive software that will have the site back up almost immediately these days. THIS IS 2019. The internet is over 25 years old. There's no excuse.

And their web site was NOT being attacked. It was unusable due to poor management and incompetence. Their 'load balancing' and capacity was NOT THERE. Their IT department has LOST thousands of orders for that car, I suspect - a brief look showed the unreachable website problem was widespread (for example, isitdownrightnow.com showed the site offline). Good god they lost lots of orders.

I will not be placing an order -- I'm gonna wait a couple years. If they can't sell your product to willing customers, I suspect the product could be a pile of schitt.
We'll see how/if they improve. Right now I'm wondering if this was a company 'freudian slip' to prevent taking orders due to problems with the car. "The car's not ready but we're locked in to the Reveal, so we'll keep the website broken to slow orders." Maybe. Who knows.

Food for thought, they spent 10s of millions on marketing the Reveal tonight, and hundred$ of millions on the car's development. If there's one thing that should have been bulletproof 3 months ago, it's the ability of customers to go online and BUY THE FREAKING CAR. This is one of the biggest car companies in the world. They should have the web purchase process NAILED.

Think Amazon. Mein gott.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well done Chevrolet. Well done. A Corvette to be proud of. Well done.
The following 3 users liked this post by Torchsport:
ATC399 (07-19-2019), Dif (07-19-2019), PurpleLion (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 AM
pFunk
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Exhaust tips suck
They do. Also, the placement of the wireless phone charging pocket makes it a little difficult to see the screen of your phone! I guess ProClip will have a C8 mount soon enough. Sorry GM, maybe you've improved the Nav system, but Waze is still better for a number of obvious reasons
Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No disappointment here. I thought the presenters did a great job.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:03 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by lostsoul
To me the show was a little too PC.. When I first turned it on I thought they were unveiling a Lincoln
I tuned in and thought I was at NASA.
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
ATC399 (07-19-2019), Corgidog1 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I thought the reveal itself was way too much fluff, and the car wasn't much different from what we have seen in endless youtube videos.

I'm still neutral on it. Price/performance is a great point but lets see how it actually performs and that will only happen after it's been out a year or two and has millions of driver miles on it.

I thought Chevy really blew it big time by not having other models like the Z06, Grand Sport and ZR1 on display with it. As a C6 GS owner, why would I even think of buying a Stingray when the other models are going to come out at a later date?

Those other models are going to be what make or break the C8. Putting a wing option on a Ray is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I kept dozing off during the speech presentation............

Old 07-19-2019, 05:07 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Jesus.....nothing else better to do than moan and complain.
Well, they do like to bicker back and forth like 3rd graders too.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I thought the reveal itself was way too much fluff, and the car wasn't much different from what we have seen in endless youtube videos.

I'm still neutral on it. Price/performance is a great point but lets see how it actually performs and that will only happen after it's been out a year or two and has millions of driver miles on it.

I thought Chevy really blew it big time by not having other models like the Z06, Grand Sport and ZR1 on display with it. As a C6 GS owner, why would I even think of buying a Stingray when the other models are going to come out at a later date?

Those other models are going to be what make or break the C8. Putting a wing option on a Ray is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Because, unless modified, your C6 GS is slower and more dated than a base model C7 and significantly slower and significantly more dated than a base model C8. 🤷🏼*♂️
Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

It will hold 2 Set's of Clubs.It will sell well.Next summer when a few are out with different combo's.The moaning and groaning will change to sales.
Look at the time the C7 started to Grow on people.People are still buying it for the first time.
No Vert,Will Hurt.Cause,Topless is Better

Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Well, at least it doesn't have a stinkin' torque tube.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:00 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Did they say when production begins?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldRose85
...waited for months for something special but the reveal was 80% fluff and 10% reveal of the car.
I was hoping for more details of the interior and trunk and engine views.
Originally Posted by flying_vette
No mention of manual transmission.
There won't be unless C8 sales fall short!

Yep some disappointments. Putting on my marketing hat, the only exciting thing was the gal flying a jet having nothing to do with the C8 and could have been from a Hollywood cutting room floor. Didn't need to hear about the Presidents trips with his Dad to the GM Tech Center seeing Zora!

Car & Driver has some 74 pics. Picked me up to see some internals. It's an 8 speed DCT by Tremic NOT ZF!

Here are 2 composite pics! Disappointed in the brakes (among some other things like rear view.) Yep will hope the Grand Sport will improve BUT then there are always MODS! Perhaps the Z51 has a Carbon Ceramic brake option. Wonder if the aftermarket will have an innovative "round steering wheel" for street driving! That's the problem with a Cayman, even though it has a naturally aspirated boxer 6, hard to mod, costly to service and more money. BUT it does come with a 6 speed manual. Think GM may have to offer depending on C8 sales! At least Tremic surely has one handy!

Predicted it could hold 2 sets of golf clubs from Andy Pilgrim controlled leak! That's the reason for the rear design! But no mention of the future FWD he was sent to tell us as a reason for a ME!

Sure hope the Grand Sport version comes sooner than with the C7 or perhaps will consider getting a Z06 if that is first!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-19-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Jesus H Christ.

As Steven said above, nothing but snowflakes & tire-kicker bitching and whining after obsessing and speculating over this car for what, a year plus now?

I don't like this, they didn't say that, I won't buy because of no retractable top, they'll be so many problems, blah blah blah.

What a miserable lot.

I think the car is beautiful and represents a staggering engineering leap,

Looking forward to learning more about the C8 - can't wait.

In the meantime, I'll continue beating the snot out of my 2018 Z06 Z07 at VIR, while trying to avoid tirewalls.
Since when did forums become a place where people cannot share their opinion, good or bad. People like you act like you are insulted that other people don’t like what you like.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (07-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Reveal disappointment...

Old 07-19-2019, 08:29 AM
bdsvavars
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Winner

Originally Posted by GoldRose85
...waited for months for something special but the reveal was 80% fluff and 10% reveal of the car.
I was hoping for more details of the interior and trunk and engine views.
Also the removable roof was to me a disappointment as I was hoping for Chaz's retractable roof design
instead of hand caring the roof to a back compartment storage.
I guess I'll wait til tomorrow for more photo details.
PS... the Blue looked Great !
Just go to the chevrolet Youtube channel and watch the videos, they explain the car in much greater detail https://www.youtube.com/user/Chevrolet/videos
Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by john91498
Took forever to get to the actual reveal. C'mon, who cares about the moon from 50 years ago? After that, I was glued to the screen to see the C8 and all the new tech...
The same people that care about your opinion....
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Waiting for the 1/4 mile and Nurburgring times, GM.

Don't pull the "we couldn't get a good time" BS like you did with the C7.

Quick Reply: Reveal disappointment...