Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think will be GM's "big surprise" with the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

None of the vehicles that have been seen with Camo will look anywhere near what is the final release.
The following users liked this post:
dreamr616 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:35 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
RPO, Kate is exquisite, thank you for this pic.
Agreed. It’s hard to believe she’ll be 46 on July 26.

Why couldn’t the C8 unveil be on the 26th? Haha!!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Comes in under 70K.
Base price will be under 70k, bet the farm on that one.
DebRedZR1 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Due to flagging NSX sales (170 units sold in 2018), C8 production will be moved to Japan. Minimal mold changes required. BG will be retooled to produce $100,000 2020 Silverados.

Copy homework from Acura? Why? Nobody is buying the damn thing.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:06 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Base price will be under 70k, bet the farm on that one.
I think you may be right and the car comes in under 70k for a base model in 1lt trim.

Unfortunately I think that also means we have a car with too many decisions made by accountants and not enough by car guys and engineers.

GM benchmarks the Porsche 911s a car that starts at 130k .

While I think the C8 will have better performance data numbers on paper.

Then due to trying to satisfy buyer that want a world class sports car but also demand that it's price far under any other car with similar specs that there will have to be compromises.

Typically that means that we will get a interior that is less refined than any other car in its price range.

GM makes the interior of its high end cars and trucks the area where they make major compromises.

Cadillac will never compete with Audi Lexus MB BMW Jaguar and others with the materials used on the interior.

Corvette cannot compete with Audi Jaguar BMW MB Lexus or Porsche when it comes to the interior quality.

Even GM bread and butter trucks have a far inferior interior.

I just read where Ram has taken the number 2 spot in truck sales.

There reason given in the article was consumers found the GM interior to be far less refined than Ford or Ram.

I have to agree I have a 60k plus High Country and the leather and fake wood is horrible when compared to the competition.

While the rest of the truck is 1st class and drives and rides fantastic.

Yet the interior is not what it should be in a 60k truck and far less appealing than Ram or Ford.

I been a Chevy guy my whole life but I will have to consider Ram when I purchase my next daily driver truck.

To some this may not matter when purchasing a Corvette but to other who are spending what I am sure will be 85k plus for a 3lt Z51 we would like the interior to be configured and built with the nicest materials as possible.

After all that were the driver car interface takes place and where the passenger only connection to the car.

Now Punky I know your reply will be some derogatory comment about being a Euro snob or how you don't care about how nice the leather or switch gear is and anyone who does is a snob.

I don't expect the Corvette to have the same quality of material or craftsmenship as in my Ferrari.

But we should expect it to be as nice as Porsche Lexus or MB Audi.

Well that's just not the case . If I am going to spend 130k plus on the top of line Corvette which I will as soon as it's available I don't feel it should have the same interior compromise as a 70k car.

There is also nothing wrong with preferring attention to detail and excellent craftsmanship when making any type purchase.

Just because attention to detail is not something Punky may find important does not mean he get to speak for everyone else or call them derogatory names.

I much rather see GM say to its client base hey we are providing a world class car with no compromises.

To do this we must move the entry price upscale so we can provide our customers with a non compromised world class sports car.

So rather than come in at 70k let it start at 80k or 85k. It still 30k to 45k less than the car they benchmarked and what is its main competition.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 07-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:50 PM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Easy. Power retractable targa on all models.
They’ve already hinted the same roof components will be shared with the convertible.
vetteman41960 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I think you may be right and the car comes in under 70k for a base model in 1lt trim.

Unfortunately I think that also means we have a car with too many decisions made by accountants and not enough by car guys and engineers.

Then due to trying to satisfy buyer that want a world class sports car but also demand that it's price far under any other car with similar specs that there will have to be compromises.

Typically that means that we will get a interior that is less refined than any other car in its price range.

GM makes the interior of its high end cars and trucks the area where they make major compromises.

Cadillac will never compete with Audi Lexus MB BMW Jaguar and others with the materials used on the interior.

Corvette cannot compete with Audi Jaguar BMW MB Lexus or Porsche when it comes to the interior quality.

There reason given in the article was consumers found the GM interior to be far less refined than Ford or Ram.

I have to agree I have a 60k plus High Country and the leather and fake wood is horrible when compared to the competition.

Yet the interior is not what it should be in a 60k truck and far less appealing than Ram or Ford.

I been a Chevy guy my whole life but I will have to consider Ram when I purchase my next daily driver truck.

To some this may not matter when purchasing a Corvette but to other who are spending what I am sure will be 85k plus for a 3lt Z51 we would like the interior to be configured and built with the nicest materials as possible.

After all that were the driver car interface takes place and where the passenger only connection to the car.

Now Punky I know your reply will be some derogatory comment about being a Euro snob or how you don't care about how nice the leather or switch gear is and anyone who does is a snob.

I don't expect the Corvette to have the same quality of material or craftsmenship as in my Ferrari.

Well that's just not the case . If I am going to spend 130k plus on the top of line Corvette which I will as soon as it's available I don't feel it should have the same interior compromise as a 70k car.

There is also nothing wrong with preferring attention to detail and excellent craftsmanship when making any type purchase.

Just because attention to detail is not something Punky may find important does not mean he get to speak for everyone else or call them derogatory names.

I much rather see GM say to its client base hey we are providing a world class car with no compromises.

To do this we must move the entry price upscale so we can provide our customers with a non compromised world class sports car.

So rather than come in at 70k let it start at 80k or 85k. It still 30k to 45k less than the car they benchmarked and what is its main competition.
I own currently own a 2017 ATS Cadillac Coupe and a 2018 Lexus RX 350. The Cadillac interior vs the Lexus is pretty close but I prefer the Cadillac with better leather and carbon fiber dash/door appointments. These 2 vehicles had nearly identical MSRPs.

We recently checked out the local Audi dealer again and walked across the way and looked at the Porsche dealer. I guess I just don't get the deal with the 911 interior. They are quite Spartan and absolutely nothing to rave about when compared to what I had in my '16 Z06. I do not how ever count seat stictches or examine leather surfaces with a magnifier.

I doubt that I am the Corvette enthusiast who notices the die hard Porsche boys now screaming about interior quality etc. as the C8 comes ever closer to taking center stage in the 2 seat sports car arena.

You own a Ferrari, yes, I'm sure we all get that at this point. Is your Ferrari's interior a universe of quality beyond what the C8 will sport? I don't know and could care less but I'm sure you will let all of lowly Corvette owners know in bombastic fashion soon.

Last edited by punky; 07-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

No matter the car, there will always be compromise. Sometimes you see it, other times you don't, I get it. GM for the most part doesn't compromise on the foundation. Engine and drive line, frame, etc. Are for the most part top notch across the board... (yea even the 8 speed. While the shudder sucks, it won't kill the damn thing... at least right away) they cut corners in the interior. It is what it is and has been that way since my dad was a kid. His 78 Lariat was way nicer than his bosses 85 silverado. The silverado drove and rode better though.

As far as the Ram goes, GM isn't discounting the new trucks at all, fiat is offering decent incentives. Those sales include the marked down half year body style too I believe... so not exactly apples to apples. The only time sales matter is at the end of Q4. You can only make up ground, you can't lose it.

But I hear you. Paying a lot of money for an average interior sucks. My colorado is missing some things my 04 tb had that I liked. The seats were a little better etc. Compared to everything else in the segment though its decent. The ford and Toyota have been around since 2011 lol. The full size market is different though.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"...To some this may not matter when purchasing a Corvette but to other who are spending what I am sure will be 85k plus for a 3lt Z51 we would like the interior to be configured and built with the nicest materials as possible. ...

So rather than come in at 70k let it start at 80k or 85k. It still 30k to 45k less than the car they benchmarked and what is its main competition. …" vetteman41960

If those numbers become reality, for a "nicely optioned" C8 to be in the $85K range, Corvette will be leaving a lot of potential buyers on the sidelines.

We'll see. That's my opinion.

GM knows who to sell to, and how many of those buyers there are in "their universe" or cohort.

Last edited by AORoads; 07-07-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Corvette's market segment is bracketed by the Ford Mustang GT and the Porsche 911.
It can't cede too much to the former without threatening the foundation that lets it encroach on the latter.

Corvette continues to exist because it's a better return on investment of limited engineering and marketing and capital resources than the alternatives.

I think GM could nudge Corvette upmarket, but if they were going to do that for C8 they would have already laid obvious groundwork -- a new successful Camaro and a withering of the base 1LT Corvette.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:39 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

There will be a new flap that is actuated when the rear hatch is closed that heats a wire to pull the flap open to let the excess air out of the engine area so the hatch closes easier.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I think GM could nudge Corvette upmarket, but if they were going to do that for C8 they would have already laid obvious groundwork -- a new successful Camaro and a withering of the base 1LT Corvette.
A highly track-capable Camaro already exists.
Personally, I don't have any need or desire for a peter-heater in my Corvette, so an LT1 does just fine for me.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:54 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I like the original C7 nose aesthetics a lot . . . ZR1 not at all, but I do understand the functionality of it.
I love my C7 Stingray but sure do wish it had a grill like the ZR1.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 202 Posts

It's going to be all electric with a really big stereo that goes VROOM, VROOM on the outside and plays music inside.

Last edited by GS583; 07-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
JerseyJack
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Its gonna be a rear end that is so busy you cant take your eyes off it!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 1,747 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

All you debating price points , look what the General has done with the ZR , performance at far less cost....
Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Iker
Burning Brakes

Received 1,275 Likes on 356 Posts

2 engines option

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think will be GM's "big surprise" with the C8?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

The second timing chain. The answer to what ever that does or why it even exists
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

The c8 is actually front engined and all the pics and vids are showing the car running in reverse.
ojm (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:54 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,152 Likes on 739 Posts

It starts, and it has an 8 track / cd player
The following 2 users liked this post by BLUE1972:
ojm (07-10-2019), warp10c7 (07-08-2019)

Quick Reply: What do you think will be GM's "big surprise" with the C8?