Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:47 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
I’m from a farming family. Drove a Cornbinder. I’m also 63 and a minister
Originally Posted by kratedisease
I'm from NYCity. I drove a John Deere when cutting my grass, I'm 56 and I go to strip clubs.
I'm 74 (I'll be 75 on Christmas.):: I drive a crystal red C7 Stingray vert. I live in La Crescenta, an LA suburb in the foothills at 2,000'. My handyman from El Salvador cuts my grass. I own and operate an environmental services firm. I'm a fallen away Catholic. I have regular, somewhat kinky, sex with my wife. I love red meat. I go to the gym and train hard every day.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 06-26-2019 at 07:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atari_Prime (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 PM
RedMercy
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by X-UFO
I like reading this stuff. When we buy cars we all check the boxes that are important to each of us. Some will never check a mid engine car others will always check off made in USA. Some will need to check off 600 + HP. Others need "super car" or some other label to check off. We are all Corvette fans and are a bit biased toward what we already have. I have a 2011 ZR1 (no big mods). I also have a 1984 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit and a 2018 GMC Yukon as well a some Jeeps.and motorcycles. Each is different and checks off different boxes for me. I think the C8 will bring lots of new buyers to Corvette as well as old. When I look back in "Corvette History", each version is an improvement over the last. Each time a new version is released some resistance to the change is seen. I think it is normal human nature.

I still think the Corvette is a Super Car. And you are more likely to see a man eating shark than a man eating shark.
I always check off "Made in USA" not for the corvette though
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
I'm 74 (I'll be 75 on Christmas.):: I drive a crystal red C7 Stingray vert. I live in La Crescenta, an LA suburb in the foothills at 2,000'. My handyman from El Salvador cuts my grass. I own and operate an environmental services firm. I'm a fallen away Catholic. I have regular, somewhat kinky, sex with my wife. I love red meat. I go to the gym and train hard every day.

Atari_Prime (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Amazing how some here are firmly convinced that the C8 will not be cross shopped by the likes of Porsche owners. Why would someone looking at a Porsche in the 75-150 thousand dollar bracket not look at a mid engine C8 with superior performance. Nonsense.
A Porsche shopper or other more prestigious brand customer is not going to be shopping for a car in the ranks of a low end Chevrolet even if the performance is equal or better than. Not sure if you have ever been in a bigger name car before but the corvette does not compare with the quality and fit and finish.

Lets assume Hyundai made a car with equal performance of the Corvette for $30K. Would you buy it?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

Default One mans C is another mans C minus

Originally Posted by speed4tu
A Porsche shopper or other more prestigious brand customer is not going to be shopping for a car in the ranks of a low end Chevrolet even if the performance is equal or better than. Not sure if you have ever been in a bigger name car before but the corvette does not compare with the quality and fit and finish.

Lets assume Hyundai made a car with equal performance of the Corvette for $30K. Would you buy it?
Exactly.
You can still like a car for what it purely is, although performance levels may be similar on paper it’s understandably not going to have the appeal of cars that have a higher level of engineering design.

If you want a similar comparison look at the Kia Stinger against BMW and Audi cars.
You’ll attract more buyers from the base than higher level converts. It’s basic sales logic.
<10 % will trade down for overall cost. Value drives more new purchase decisions. Future value is also a huge factor.
speed4tu (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:55 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Chevy already makes a car with a more attractive price that will not only meets Corvette performance standards but also exceeds the majority of Corvettes sold. Its called the Camaro & it looks like GM/Chevy is canning it because it does not sell very well.

Don't see many Porsche buyers going Corvette as a standalone purchase. Do see quite a few at the upper end with both. Might see nibbles at the Cayman/Boxster based on price at the bottom end where there is some overlap but getting up into 6 figure land is in no danger of wholesale defections to Corvette.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM
X-UFO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Good question. Or would you buy a Ferrari that is the same cost as the C8 with equal performance? I think that was Ferrari's idea when it came out with the Dino back in the 1970's.

Some people will have open minds and cross shop. Others will not want the "Corvette Image" as they see perceive it. But I would agree that the person that is shopping for a new Ferrari or even a Porsche Turbo S may not be the person that switches to the C8 Corvette. But he or she may buy one in addition to the Ferrari for every day use, or to add to the collection because they can. IMHO
vetteman41960 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 PM
C422
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean like the Kia Stinger?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:33 PM
X-UFO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Kia Stinger AWD GT2 is a great car. My son has one and loves it.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Where do I sign up?

We’d miss the Corvette club a bit; but could treat our good friends to plenty of dinners with the savings.

BTW — Hyundai quality (esp. the Genesis variants) is just fine...
vetteman41960 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by C422
You mean like the Kia Stinger?
Seriously? Great car for the price but in no way performs even remotely like a Vette. Especially the $30K version...
Old 06-27-2019, 05:14 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by X-UFO
Good question. Or would you buy a Ferrari that is the same cost as the C8 with equal performance? I think that was Ferrari's idea when it came out with the Dino back in the 1970's.

Some people will have open minds and cross shop. Others will not want the "Corvette Image" as they see perceive it. But I would agree that the person that is shopping for a new Ferrari or even a Porsche Turbo S may not be the person that switches to the C8 Corvette. But he or she may buy one in addition to the Ferrari for every day use, or to add to the collection because they can. IMHO
I agree that many Ferrari owners will consider adding a C8 to their stable of cars.

I know I plan to add the C8 next to my Callaway SC757 and my 458.

Most Ferrari owners are car guys that is why they bought a Ferrari in the 1st place.

I know I will feel more comfortable driving the C8 when the weather may not be as nice or I wanted to take to the track and not have to worry if the paint got a chip here and there .

I think you will find lots of car guys who own exotic that cost significantly more than the C8 add the C8 to their garage so they can drive it and not be as concerned about getting in a minor accident or stone chip here or there.

Plus I think the C8 will be unrivaled in the bang for your buck.

V8 with DCT with mid engine and most likely being able to purchase a Z51 loaded up with every option and come in under a 100k .

There no other car that you can get all that for under 100k.

I think the C8 is going to be a home run for GM and I am excited for the revel and looking forward to when the order banks open up.

I am hoping that the HTC will be available right out of the gate.

I thinking i will order white with red guts very traditional Corvette colors that never go out of style and I think the C8 will look great in white.

It's been a long wait and finally we are almost there.

I am really feeling good about the car being drop dead gorgeous.

I think GM will surprise a lot of the nay sayers who have questioned the looks based of the mules that GM has purposely hidden the design features on.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 06-27-2019 at 05:39 PM.
X-UFO (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Ah Yes, "a more prestigious brand".

Simple Corvette cretins like me probably would not understand anything beyond the "low end Chevrolet" as you put it.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Ah Yes, "a more prestigious brand".

Simple Corvette cretins like me probably would not understand anything beyond the "low end Chevrolet" as you put it.
He brings a very valid point would you buy a Hyundai that outperforms a corvette and it’s also cheaper?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
He brings a very valid point would you buy a Hyundai that outperforms a corvette and it’s also cheaper?
I would absolutely consider it. Brand, status, prestige, etc. means absolutely nothing to me. Life is waaaaay to short to be governed by something that shallow.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

I would absolutely consider it. Brand, status, prestige, etc. means absolutely nothing to me. Life is waaaaay to short to be governed by something that shallow.
When making purchases based solely on cost It’s a fine line between free choice and cheapskate. Purchasing Chinese knockoffs Has been detrimental to our own present economy. Yes, almost every business has jumped on that bandwagon instead of investing in our own culture because every other SOB has and will to gain any edge they can. The “ I want that for less damned the consequences” mentality is invaded almost every level of economics world wide.
So if you want a low quality, low price Chinese- a- da-da phone, car, sex toy... its the reason why Wal-Mart has thousands of employees who cant afford medical we all end up paying for. So. Is it worth buying cheap stuff that isn’t made as well as the top quality stuff?
It’s a matter of personal choice
Old 06-28-2019, 09:52 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
When making purchases based solely on cost It’s a fine line between free choice and cheapskate. Purchasing Chinese knockoffs Has been detrimental to our own present economy. Yes, almost every business has jumped on that bandwagon instead of investing in our own culture because every other SOB has and will to gain any edge they can. The “ I want that for less damned the consequences” mentality is invaded almost every level of economics world wide.
So if you want a low quality, low price Chinese- a- da-da phone, car, sex toy... its the reason why Wal-Mart has thousands of employees who cant afford medical we all end up paying for. So. Is it worth buying cheap stuff that isn’t made as well as the top quality stuff?
It’s a matter of personal choice
You missed the point all together.

My point is about purchasing based on brand name recognition and NOT price. I am a person who is not looking to validate himself with an expensive name tag.

I had the pleasure of driving a 2019 Mustang GT manual with performance pack for a day last month and can tell you that I enjoyed it every bit as much if not more than the C7 Z06 that I owned. The car was an absolute ball to drive, good power, rear wheel drive, killer sound in a wide range of selectable levels and on. I would have no problem at all owning and enjoying this brand and model of performance car while some guys I know would never consider it for a variety of shallow reasons. There are those of us who are personally secure with ourselves and have no need to impress our neighbors or the boys at the Country Club.

Get notified of new replies

To C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

I buy whatever vehicle or toy that best meets my needs. Does not matter what it is, sedan, truck, SUV, sports car, boat, motorcycle, snowmobile, SxS. The best overall vehicle wins, period. It's my hard earned cash and the company that put's together the best overall total package earns my business and my cash. It's that simple for me and it has worked well.

I was fortunate in the sports car arena in that I had access to a wide variety of makes and models for many years. Besides driving them I was able to get an inside view of all their shortcomings and headaches of ownership. In the end when it was time to spend my money and park one in my garage the C7 was an easy choice. Not because of how it is perceived by others or how I look in it driving down the road but how it performs and delivers as a total package in the two seat top down world. From that perspective, nothing else even comes close.

Last edited by JDSKY; 06-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Hary Gahtoe (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Poor guys, can't get a woman to give 'em the time of day, without their Porsche.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd be interested to hear what 'bigger name' sports cars have better quality, fit and finish for the same price as a corvette...

Quick Reply: C8; Corvette or Supecar?