Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

No.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
hope they don’t frequent this forum. ! You should have an interesting Thanksgiving!

; )
No worries there. Neither one would be caught dead in a Chevrolet of any kind👍

Last edited by Dr. ice; 06-19-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
The corvette is a poor mans supercar.
Yep......and to some, I am sure their Camaro or WSX is a supercar. The Corvette will never be a supercar in the automotive world when it starts in the $60k range. Can’t buy much of a car for that price point in today’s world......let alone a supercar. Super bargain I will agree!
The following users liked this post:
vetteman41960 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

It will look as good as many a super car, and the performance models will perform like supercars. The base model will outperform many supercars from the early 2,000’s.

And it will be demeaned as not a supercar by many owners of pricy supercars that it will stay with or beat on the track.

As has always been the case.

It’s the platform for a cheap supercar. No matter what you call it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
C422 (06-20-2019), firstvettesoon (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Is the NSX a supercar? Just wondering.

If if it is than maybe the C8 will be too?

I dont see much much difference in build quality between the NSX and the C7 z06 today.
Take into account the C8 should have an improved interior and use some more exotic materials as well as having unique and advanced mechanics and electronics , it will certainly be approaching supercar status regardless of price

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-20-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Supercar indeed. There are likely as many definitions and or perceptions of what this is in reality as there are sports/performance cars. The 67 Mustang GT I had in high school and college during the early to mid 1970s was a "Supercar" to me with a transplanted 351 4 bolt main Cleveland. My first Corvette was an '84 manual with Z51 and totally met the definition of a Super Car to me at that time. It is all a matter of perception and nothing more as there will never be an exact definition.

The notion that certain brands are never worthy of this regal "Super Car" status is just plain stupid.

Please don't tell me that a C7 ZR1 is not a "Super Car". Real car guys don't count seat stitches and examine leather surfaces with a magnifier.

The fact of the matter is that a Z06/ZR1 will out perform many of the European status machines at a much lower price point. This is just the simple reality at this point. No one needs to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to attain "Super Car" performance. Top tier Corvettes are now "Super Cars" whether the import Fanboys like it or not.
The following 3 users liked this post by punky:
AEmedic (06-20-2019), firstvettesoon (06-20-2019), TNBUSA (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:33 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

The performance only metric for achieving supercar status breaks down for most when it then has to include cars that a majority would never utter those two syllables in the same sentence. Camaro and Mustang are likely the best two examples of cars that can put up numbers but anyone other than their owners will ever call them supercars. High performing "cheap imports" are also going to be lumped in the same category. If you can say fast and cheap in the same sentence you've already categorized the car.
BEAR-AvHistory (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
The performance only metric for achieving supercar status breaks down for most when it then has to include cars that a majority would never utter those two syllables in the same sentence. Camaro and Mustang are likely the best two examples of cars that can put up numbers but anyone other than their owners will ever call them supercars. High performing "cheap imports" are also going to be lumped in the same category. If you can say fast and cheap in the same sentence you've already categorized the car.
...fast and Less expensive would prob be a more fair characterization. ...
@ an estimated $65k min up to maybe $169K for a fully equipt Z car Zora... it is not "cheap"

A big difference and observation is that it is true that all automotive quality has been raised in the past decade or so. Even "cheap" car brands now offer "high performance" cars for reasonable prices that have very nice quality builds and "advanced" materials and engineering that could not have been offered years ago. The state-of-the-art has advanced enough so that the lower tiers have been raised up and the lines blurred a bit. Even once "cheap" brands offer very nice sports cars that are closing the gap on performance and design.

Years ago consumers had less choice. Stuck with either a regular family type sedan or wagon or a sports car from a handful of manufactures if they wanted a little more performance. Now you can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee that can beat many high end sports cars in a drag race!

Supercar to me is not defined by price, limited production, exclusivity or exotic materials alone. It is a combination.

Setting all brand prejudice aside, if you compare apples to apples, build quality to build quality, advanced engineering to advanced engineering, design to design, we may find that the Corvette C7 z06-Zr1 has earned "supercar" status. Even tho more readily available than a limited production supercar, it should be on par with most comparative metrics. The C8 should advance and reinforce this position.

I do not think C8 will be considered an "exotic" or Hypercar.

How about this compromise. Ferrari Mclaren Lamborghini... (S)upercars.... Corvette C8 (s)upercar...
Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Tell the guy who just paid the better part of $170,000 for a 755HP ZR1 that bitch slaps a ton of the European stuff that he does not own a "Super Car".
firstvettesoon (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Supercar to me is not defined by price, limited production, exclusivity or exotic materials alone. It is a combination.

Setting all brand prejudice aside, if you compare apples to apples, build quality to build quality, advanced engineering to advanced engineering, design to design, we may find that the Corvette C7 z06-Zr1 has earned "supercar" status. Even tho more readily available than a limited production supercar, it should be on par with most comparative metrics. The C8 should advance and reinforce this position.

I do not think C8 will be considered an "exotic" or Hypercar.

How about this compromise. Ferrari Mclaren Lamborghini... (S)upercars.... Corvette C8 (s)upercar...
I also agree that supercar status is a combination of things for "most people" and that performance is not the only metric that makes a car super. Souped up maybe but not super. Advanced Engineering is a great way to put it and I would also add to that advanced materials as an integral part of the design in order for that vehicle to deliver. The NSX is an excellent example in that the engineering, technology and packaging in that car brings together elements that prior to it did not exist at it's price point.

In my opinion the ZR1 is the closest thing Corvette has to supercar status. I would argue a Z06 is not a ZR1 for many reasons and thus falls short.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Tell the guy who just paid the better part of $170,000 for a 755HP ZR1 that bitch slaps a ton of the European stuff that he does not own a "Super Car".
He doesn’t . I’ll meet him at cars and coffee here in Palm beach or any track in south Florida if they want to hear it. They have a great performance car but not a super car. At the end of the day the owner of a ZR1 and a Porsche have a lot in common, both own great sports cars all this weather you agree or not.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 06-20-2019 at 02:15 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
He doesn’t . I’ll meet him at cars and coffee here in Palm beach or any track in south Florida if they want to hear it. They have a great performance car but not a super car. At the end of the day the owner of a ZR1 and a Porsche have a lot in common, both own great sports cars all this weather you agree or not.
Oh, OK.

You'll meet ZR1 owners and they will hear exactly what from you?

A ZR1 is not a Super Car because you said so? Sorry to differ with you but you do not have any ultimate knowledge here as it is as many others have stated a matter of opinion and perception. I feel that a ZR1 is a Supercar and you can tell me otherwise here, at your Cars and Coffee or where ever else. Not sure why it matters where you voice your opinions but it must have some significance to you.

BTW, where and when is the Cars and Coffee over on your side in Palm Beach. We will be over there again soon and would like to check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:54 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

This thread is so funny watching everyone cry about their poor corvette being a super car or exotic. I have a C7Z and I would feel like an idiot telling anyone it was a supercar or an exotic. It's just a lowly chevy with a boosted truck engine.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM
C422
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
This thread is so funny watching everyone cry about their poor corvette being a super car or exotic. I have a C7Z and I would feel like an idiot telling anyone it was a supercar or an exotic. It's just a lowly chevy with a boosted truck engine.
If you actually think that, you should read literally any book. Dr. Seuss is a good starting point.

Previous generations of Koenigsegg were obviously just lowly Volkswagens with a boosted Ford truck engine, right?

Good God Almighty. No one who isn't a pretentious piece of trash goes around saying their car is a supercar. Even Ferrari, Koenigsegg, or Lamborghini owners.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:18 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by C422
If you actually think that, you should read literally any book. Dr. Seuss is a good starting point.

Previous generations of Koenigsegg were obviously just lowly Volkswagens with a boosted Ford truck engine, right?

Good God Almighty. No one who isn't a pretentious piece of trash goes around saying their car is a supercar. Even Ferrari, Koenigsegg, or Lamborghini owners.
Agree with you 100%, very well stated.

It seems that many of those here who own European sports cars and very adamant in their declarations about any Corvette NOT falling into the category of "Super Car". Funny how that works. Getting a little hot in the kitchen for these Fanboys.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Oh, OK.

You'll meet ZR1 owners and they will hear exactly what from you?

A ZR1 is not a Super Car because you said so? Sorry to differ with you but you do not have any ultimate knowledge here as it is as many others have stated a matter of opinion and perception. I feel that a ZR1 is a Supercar and you can tell me otherwise here, at your Cars and Coffee or where ever else. Not sure why it matters where you voice your opinions but it must have some significance to you.

BTW, where and when is the Cars and Coffee over on your side in Palm Beach. We will be over there again soon and would like to check it out. Thanks.

Shoot me a PM if you make it. I bet we have more things in common than you think.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

Shoot me a PM if you make it. I bet we have more things in common than you think.
Thanks Man, appreciate the info and look forward to meeting you. I'll bet we have lots in common. All Good!

Get notified of new replies

To C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

When I started the thread I used the description “supercar” as a metaphor. In retrospect should’ve just said mid engine.
I’d say all cars assembly line production made nowadays don’t qualify. High end? Absolutely.

Again herein lies the American takeaway with a Corvette competing with high end “mid engined” cars. Is it possible? Absolutely.
My question is this;
Should they have kept the heart and soul of Corvette’s heritage AND beat them at their own game by engineering a C8 as front engined/electric motor assisted transmission ?
900 hp ZR1 & 700 hp NA Grand Sports totally do able with a hybrid
Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
When I started the thread I used the description “supercar” as a metaphor. In retrospect should’ve just said mid engine.
I’d say all cars assembly line production made nowadays don’t qualify. High end? Absolutely.

Again herein lies the American takeaway with a Corvette competing with high end “mid engined” cars. Is it possible? Absolutely.
My question is this;
Should they have kept the heart and soul of Corvette’s heritage AND beat them at their own game by engineering a C8 as front engined/electric motor assisted transmission ?
900 hp ZR1 & 700 hp NA Grand Sports totally do able with a hybrid
No the ZR1 already exceeds its ability to put the power to the rear wheels. Needs a major weight distribution change
Old 06-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
No the ZR1 already exceeds its ability to put the power to the rear wheels. Needs a major weight distribution change
Imagine the exhilaration, being in a ZR1 at a track and as you hit the peak HP/TQ coming out of a corner; only to be passed by a ZR1 hybrid.
It would have the ability to increase the high end curve where HP/TQ drop off sharply. It wouldn’t overpower anything but a standard ZR1 merely extend the power range where the original fails. And it would even have a weight balance advantage to boot which could help handling and traction

Quick Reply: C8; Corvette or Supecar?