Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C8 may decimate the high end used sports car market

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bave
lol.

Comparing a Corvette to a McClaren or an R8. You have to be shitting me. Which of those cars have the interiors and build quality of a Fiero?
Had an R8 before I couldn’t stop myself from stepping up to the Huracan. Never seen a better interior/build than the R8. I’m really hoping the C8 is a new leap for GM in that regard.
The following users liked this post:
vettesweetnos (07-22-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Agreed. That said, there are still a lot of practicalities that need addressed, like charging for people who live in apartment complexes or only have on-road parking. For the families that have only one car, even if range is sufficient for daily tasks, there still needs to be a realistic rapid charge system for road trips, even if they are only a few times a year. And lastly, the price isn't down quite enough to be truly competitive with other more economy options. Yes, Tesla and the Bolt have gotten competitive with the MB, BMW, Lexus, Lincoln type buyers, but still aren't down to quite the Impreza, Compass, Cruze level of pricing.

I drive EVs around for work now and then, I generally like the experience. For mass adaptation, there are still some hurdles in place.
You are correct on the hurdles and have listed the most important ones. Fortunately, there is a solution for the ones that concern me most on the horizon - the solid state or more correctly the solid electrolyte batteries. They will store almost twice the power in a battery the same size and weight as the ones we currently have. Plus they will practically eliminate the danger of fire associated with very rapid charging. My criteria for an EV is a 400+ mile range and 80% charge in less than 30 minutes, both easily met by the new batteries. No EV meets it currently but maybe in 2 or 3 years some will. Perhaps if they become more popular the price will decrease with the increase in volume.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:02 PM
con2macious
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having to guess no one here that thinks the ME Corvette will impact these other car sales has ever been to a Chevy dealer to get service. I'm also guessing that they never actually tried to purchase a new Corvette from a regular Chevy dealer, which is about as much fun as slamming my junk in the door.
I just bought a C7. I built it to my specs and the dealer offered such a good deal that I didn't even negotiate. Then the horror began. The dealer sent all the documents as PDFs rather than docusigns
CorvettoBrando (05-28-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

lol.

Comparing a Corvette to a McClaren or an R8. You have to be shitting me. Which of those cars have the interiors and build quality of a Fiero?
Oh, OK. So a C7 has the interior of an 80s Pontiac Fiero? Really? Absolutely idiotic statement.
The following 8 users liked this post by punky:
ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019), B747VET (05-27-2019), bgspot (05-28-2019), Lavender (07-20-2019), oregonsharkman (05-27-2019), Savoy2001 (05-27-2019), Skid Row Joe (05-24-2019), vettesweetnos (07-22-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7
My criteria for an EV is a 400+ mile range and 80% charge in less than 30 minutes, both easily met by the new batteries. No EV meets it currently but maybe in 2 or 3 years some will. Perhaps if they become more popular the price will decrease with the increase in volume.
That would be a great threshold to hit, five hours give or take a bit and a meal's worth of charging time. I think you could even hit mass adaptation with with less range, so long as the network of chargers was available. Most folks I know are ready to stretch their legs after three hours, you've just gotta have the capacity and availability of half hour chargers.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoplight
Tell that to the Jaguar XJ220, Porsche 911 GT1, Ford GT, AMG’s One, the upcoming Aston Martin RB003 and mid engine Vanquish, and the Jaguar C-X75 with its twin charger I4 hybrid drivetrain.
Euro emissions is one of the main reasons why they (Ferrari and Aston Martin) are downsizing to V6’s and using a hybrid drive as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXju0i31cCM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQhZEYKtDP4
There is nothing sexy about meeting strict government regulations. Obviously, whether or not something is "exotic" is subjective, so to each his/her own. When you cut the cylinder count to that of a minivan, I don't care what they do to it, it is not exotic to me. All the ingredients of an exotic car have to be present, not just some of them. It's like a beautiful woman, but she cut all her hair off. She is no longer exotic.

I would say if V6s are being put in "exotic cars", then we are entering a dark era in automotive history. Gone is the visceral sound. Gone are the looks of the engine. This is likely the beginning of the end of the horsepower race. You can only get so much power from limited displacement with pump gas.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-24-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:58 PM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

lol.

While the Fiero had a "classic" 80's interior the build quality was actually very good for several reasons. It was the 1st US car to implement Japanese assembly and quality control processes in it's assembly. The space frame was the strongest structural frame of any car of it's era and had the best crash ratings of any US car in it's era. (bested only by a Volvo station wagon.) The space frame was formed and drilled simultaneously in a giant house sized milling machine so the consistency was excellent. Unlike the Corvette at that time the Fiero did not creak or squeak at all.
Foosh (05-26-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:34 PM
bave
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA
While the Fiero had a "classic" 80's interior the build quality was actually very good for several reasons. It was the 1st US car to implement Japanese assembly and quality control processes in it's assembly. The space frame was the strongest structural frame of any car of it's era and had the best crash ratings of any US car in it's era. (bested only by a Volvo station wagon.) The space frame was formed and drilled simultaneously in a giant house sized milling machine so the consistency was excellent. Unlike the Corvette at that time the Fiero did not creak or squeak at all.
Maybe that is true, but when you are trying to compete with high end sports cars you can't have the *hands down* worst interior every goddamned time a new generation of the car comes out. The corvette is supposed to be the flagship of GM and it looks like a trailer park hot-rod anymore. Yea, it's fast, but at this point you can buy a lot of 11s cars that are actually better looking in and out.

Originally Posted by punky
Oh, OK. So a C7 has the interior of an 80s Pontiac Fiero? Really? Absolutely idiotic statement.
Yea, it kinda does. The same way the C6 had a **** interior, along with the C5 etc. Building a car that is fast is great, building a car that is fast and looks like it was built with junkyard parts, not so great. The idea that Corvette is going to compete with real high end cars with their current interior designs is laughable, just laughable.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:24 PM
C8UR911
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by susko

Who will buy a 10 year old R8 if you could get a '20 mid engine C8, the newest tech, for cheaper and with a warranty?

And what will happen to the value of:
2017 NSX @ $120k and falling
991 911 @ $70k
2018 Evora 400 @ $80k

I think the mid engine platform @ a cheaper entry point (outside of the 4cyl cayman) is a big deal.
I think people like you who actually value a high performance car based on its merits-and-value ratio will buy the vette. HOWEVER, most people buying all the cars you just listed are buying them to be seen in them and to show off a particular badge. For this majority of people, the corvette badge is simply not enough to announce to the world that they have arrived. These people will continue to pay far more for a Lambo, Ferrari, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. The C8 won’t change this. It may attract a bit more successful young people, but that’s about it. The badge hunters will still snub their noses to corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8UR911:
Jean qc (05-28-2019), snak (07-22-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

lol.

So a $150K R8 has a better interior than a $50K Corvette? Wow that's surprising.
The following 3 users liked this post by sly1:
Aozora (07-20-2019), ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019), vettesweetnos (07-22-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Maybe that is true, but when you are trying to compete with high end sports cars you can't have the *hands down* worst interior every goddamned time a new generation of the car comes out. The corvette is supposed to be the flagship of GM and it looks like a trailer park hot-rod anymore. Yea, it's fast, but at this point you can buy a lot of 11s cars that are actually better looking in and out.

Yea, it kinda does. The same way the C6 had a **** interior, along with the C5 etc. Building a car that is fast is great, building a car that is fast and looks like it was built with junkyard parts, not so great. The idea that Corvette is going to compete with real high end cars with their current interior designs is laughable, just laughable.
Wow. Corvette interiors according to you look like they were built with junk yard parts, Really? Yet another absolutely stupid statement.
The following 3 users liked this post by punky:
Aozora (07-20-2019), vettesweetnos (07-22-2019), zzrider (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Bave - Beat it Troll - You clearly are here to spout BS and rile people up.

Last edited by oregonsharkman; 05-27-2019 at 07:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by oregonsharkman:
ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019), CorvettoBrando (05-28-2019), JerriVette (05-29-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Bave hasn't written anything I disagree with yet.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by dsevo
Bave hasn't written anything I disagree with yet.
LOL! You are in agreement with a guy who states that Corvettes look like they are built from "junk yard" parts. Hard to imagine that anyone would share that sentiment. Simply amazing.
The following 3 users liked this post by punky:
Aozora (07-20-2019), CorvettoBrando (05-28-2019), Lavender (07-20-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
There is nothing sexy about meeting strict government regulations. Obviously, whether or not something is "exotic" is subjective, so to each his/her own. When you cut the cylinder count to that of a minivan, I don't care what they do to it, it is not exotic to me. All the ingredients of an exotic car have to be present, not just some of them. It's like a beautiful woman, but she cut all her hair off. She is no longer exotic.

I would say if V6s are being put in "exotic cars", then we are entering a dark era in automotive history. Gone is the visceral sound. Gone are the looks of the engine. This is likely the beginning of the end of the horsepower race. You can only get so much power from limited displacement with pump gas.

Depends on how much street power is enough. So far about 690 for pump gas 6 cylinder. When it comes to sound many think exotic sounds only comes from a V-12.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Depends on how much street power is enough. So far about 690 for pump gas 6 cylinder. When it comes to sound many think exotic sounds only comes from a V-12.
What 4 or 6 cylinder car sounds really good compared to V8s and V12s?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 AM
bave
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL! You are in agreement with a guy who states that Corvettes look like they are built from "junk yard" parts. Hard to imagine that anyone would share that sentiment. Simply amazing.
Wow. Corvette interiors according to you look like they were built with junk yard parts, Really? Yet another absolutely stupid statement.
Do you really think anything in a Corvette interior looks like it is from a similar generation competitor? Look at the interior of other high end sports cars and show me where the quality and design is similar. Got any?

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
Bave - Beat it Troll - You clearly are here to spout BS and rile people up.
Actually not, been a member of this forum for a decade, during which I have been a pretty consistent critic of the overall quality of corvettes. Look at the sales volume of Corvettes, the average selling price relative to MSRP, and the retained value of the used cars. They are all pointing to the same thing, a declining brand/model. They are three years in to the current model and sales are already dropping below an average of ~1500 month? Does that sound like a success?

Look, I would love to sit here and tell you that the Corvette is a top tier car, but it's not, and I don't think GM gives a ****. They have a chassis and powertrain that can deliver but their interior and overall build quality is absolute garbage. The interior of a $70k Corvette gets trounced by $35k Japanese sedans. Hell, even the Koreans are starting to put together nicer interiors. It's a joke and a shame. We will see in six weeks if GM has learned anything, but I doubt it.

Get notified of new replies

To The C8 may decimate the high end used sports car market

Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

What 4 or 6 cylinder car sounds really good compared to V8s and V12s?
What V8 really sounds good next to a V12 or W16?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,216 Likes on 6,020 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
What V8 really sounds good next to a V12 or W16?
A 289 solid lifter SBF turning 9K on a road course sounds pretty amazing.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

FORD VOODOO flat-plane crank at 8200 RPM has a great sound much like a Ferrari or McLaren V8. But IMHO its hard to beat an Italian V-12 at WOT for turning gasoline into great noise.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-29-2019 at 10:03 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019)

Quick Reply: The C8 may decimate the high end used sports car market