Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The side scoop handle is not that big on the door...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I just don't get why we need such a huge side scoop at all.

This is a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. McLaren has a very small intake near the bottom of the car in front of the rear wheel on the 720S. In darker colors you literally don't even notice it. That car has a Twin Turbo V8 with 710 HP. The Huracan has a small scoop as well. Sure, for the forced induction C8s, there will definitely need to be a bigger intake. But for the base Stingray, I just do not see the need for such a big scoop.
we don’t and it will not be.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

The Aventador LP700-4. One of my favorite cars ever. One of the most timeless designs of all time. Almost 10 years old and still looks brand new. I don't hate big side scoops, but they have to be done right. The Aventador does them right. They look great on there.
from that angle it looks like ****
Old 04-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

You would think that some of these cars have a jet engine from the size of the scoops. Some jet fighters appear to have smaller scoops
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

This is a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. McLaren has a very small intake near the bottom of the car in front of the rear wheel on the 720S. In darker colors you literally don't even notice it. That car has a Twin Turbo V8 with 710 HP. The Huracan has a small scoop as well. Sure, for the forced induction C8s, there will definitely need to be a bigger intake. But for the base Stingray, I just do not see the need for such a big scoop. This is the first time since the original Corvette that we are having a revolutionary instead of evolutionary new Corvette. It should have nice clean simple lines. They shouldn't be interrupted by a massive side scoop.
The more air that is inhaled at the scoops, the more air that can be released out the back of the car, and it actually reduces the vacuum behind the car and thus reduces drag.

The scoops dont stick out that far per se, instead, the main body of the car will curve in and provide the opening.

Obviously, the other advantage is cooling. I would like to have a car that runs cooler, thats for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
Darion (04-02-2019), Zaro Tundov (04-03-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i doubt the car will look like any of the scoops i used, but i believe the handle will be thin, as shown in my photos, vs all these renders with the crazy triangles...

unless GM wants us to go through door panels like we do their cast aluminum rims, and they are looking at huge recurring income from people who screw up their huge triangle. I doubt they stoop this low, so i think the door handle will be more slim and sleek and the vent will be further backward.
All this talk of door handles reminded me of this one, so nicely done.

The following 2 users liked this post by Darion:
Mikec7z (04-02-2019), racedrvr (04-09-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 196 Posts

We have no idea, and no evidence, about the actual size or shape of the side scoops because they have been so heavily concealed. And, I don’t believe there will be any exhaust vents on the tops of the fenders. That’s what that fancy, patented, but rather ugly back glass with it’s vented frame is for.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

what we do know... the handle area is smaller, It has been shown when the doors are open, and common sense helps us deduce this anyway.

We also know that the vent being shown is fake... and since the fake one has to cover the real one, the real one is further back. Not EVEN WITH, NOR FURTHER FORWARD. Further back is the only option. We dont know its exact shape, but what we do know is the one being shown is NOT the shape... so we would be better off guessing in the dark than drawing what we know it is NOT.

Thus we know the current renders are garbage.

So yes, my logical fellows, we do know this.

As far as exhaust vents on top of fenders, i agree, they will only be intakes most likely.

The back of the car is where the vacuum is and that is where the majority of the heated air will be released to relieve the drag behind the car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-02-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Why rely on renders for the door handle latch placement?

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
firstvettesoon (04-03-2019), tomlink (04-22-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. McLaren has a very small intake near the bottom of the car in front of the rear wheel on the 720S. In darker colors you literally don't even notice it. That car has a Twin Turbo V8 with 710 HP. The Huracan has a small scoop as well. Sure, for the forced induction C8s, there will definitely need to be a bigger intake. But for the base Stingray, I just do not see the need for such a big scoop. This is the first time since the original Corvette that we are having a revolutionary instead of evolutionary new Corvette. It should have nice clean simple lines. They shouldn't be interrupted by a massive side scoop.
I don’t think you have taken a good look at a 720s here is the top view and here is the Huracan. That intake at the bottom of the Huracan and 720s is far more likely for the brakes. Whereas the intakes at the top is for the clean air up top. For whatever the engine the C8 is or will be running, there needs to be more than adequate cooling for it, the oil cooler, brakes, differential, etc.

Last edited by Stoplight; 04-03-2019 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John T (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the one in the middle is real (with the fake panel seen on top of it). The one on the left is not the real piece, it is the added panel. The real line of the car where that handle/intake is, does not come down from top to bottom so quickly, it instead goes straight backward more so in its beginning. I feel like i'm on a planet with blind people. Also, keep in mind, they can add fake panels under the camo itself. Just because you found the camo under the black padding does not mean anything. Its layers to an onion.
Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Why rely on renders for the door handle latch placement?

take a close look at the middle image. There is a smaller thinner lip tight to the body line. Then there is the big fake handle outside of that.

The big panel is fake, it is 3 inches thick of fake material, it conceals the smaller sleeker lip which is real, which is just for our fingertips to touch a button and open the door.

They had to add extra material and come outward, because the real vent is not flush with the car, so they had to come outward to smooth everything over to conceal the details.

The evidence and common sense deduction is there. There is NO WAY GM is putting a huge triangle on the outer edge of their door. Its the small sleek one that I can see with my own eyes.

There is a REASON they add the black patch on the inner door area (the right photo has this), to HIDE the REAL handle, that way people cant see the real handle when the door is opened, they only notice the huge fake triangle added on top of the real body panels.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-03-2019 at 11:08 AM.
John T (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

NEW MClAREN MAY BE A "FIT"????
Mikec7z (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

I've said all along there is no way that huge fang makes it into production. It looks hideous and would cause all sorts of issues in the real world. It's the one thing I think most of the renders have wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by vndkshn:
Mikec7z (04-03-2019), Shaka (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

it is absolutely wrong. So why do the artists continue to incorporate it? Its beyond me. What a waste of time and energy.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Mike, I see you never posted an opinion on this CF Thread. I suggest you read, or reread, it from start to finish before you accuse anyone. Mikec7z: “I feel like i'm on a planet with blind people.”

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-progress.html

Here are a few outtake pics:

Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

im very aware of the c7r car, and i believe that is also a fake panel.

I believe this so much, i would be willing to bet on it, but last time i did that, someone bet 10 grand and then ran away... and i turned out to be wrong, but i believed i was right so much that i was willing to bet.

This is another topic, i have had a long time to study the car and the evidence, and i believe that the triangle shape coming down is not really that bulky... and it may not even come down at that angle at all in real life... it hurts aerodynamics to come down at that angle instead of go straight back to the intake.

I believe GM has you all fooled.

I believe the intake is MUCH father backward.

Im starting to wonder if GM is not doing something very ford GT'ish... and this is all fake body work on the rear to keep the public and competitors in the dark. IF the car holds golf clubs, great. But if it does not... why not go for the kill and have big pass through areas? I am not going to bet the car is like the ford GT, but i would not bet against t the idea either. I think there is still a lot of time before the car is revealed to the public. They have a lot of problems to solve, not talking smack, saying, they bit off a lot with the new computers etc.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-03-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

Looking at that pic, I think even it kinda indicates the point isn't real. It looks like there is padding added to have it extend to the door and there appears to be a weird seam in the fender several inches from the top of the fender.
Mikec7z (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 AM
krazyKanuck
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish someone would put together a more accurate render... we know the side scoops are furher back, and the reason the lid is so tall in the back is because there is a scoop/exhaust vents that are being concealed...

the giant triangle on the door handle bugs me big time. Guys, its going to be an inch or 2 in depth that you can reach under with your finger tips and pull the door open with a button up underneath... not a giant 6 inch floppy triangle sticking out of the door to kill the car next to you in the parking lot.

Can we get some renders that are realistic please?

Another option i would like to mention, is maybe they will make the door completely clean, and the button to cause the door to open is up underneath the vent just behind the door seam, and that is why they needed the patent for the motorized door, is because the door will have to open out slightly on its own so that we can open it the rest of the way with our hand.

They could be doing this for window/sealant purposes, it gives the car a chance to roll down the window a couple inches before the door begins to open. This would make for a quieter ride as the seal at the top of the side windows can be designed slightly differently.

All i know is.. there is no way there is a giant floppy triangle on the door, it would break off in a week.

I've always liked the 2008 Ferrari F430
Frankadoodle (04-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To The side scoop handle is not that big on the door...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

im very aware of the c7r car, and i believe that is also a fake panel.

I believe this so much, i would be willing to bet on it, but last time i did that, someone bet 10 grand and then ran away... and i turned out to be wrong, but i believed i was right so much that i was willing to bet.

This is another topic, i have had a long time to study the car and the evidence, and i believe that the triangle shape coming down is not really that bulky... and it may not even come down at that angle at all in real life... it hurts aerodynamics to come down at that angle instead of go straight back to the intake.

I believe GM has you all fooled.

I believe the intake is MUCH father backward.
I've tried to explain it as well, but it falls on deaf ears. The circled part below is a fake panel. The protrusion above it that is molded into the car door is real.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
CliffB-99 (04-22-2019), John T (04-03-2019), Mikec7z (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

more than just def ears, blind eyes. A lot of HK out there

The real intake line from the handle area goes more straight forward, it does not need to slope so steep up and down.

People are in left field.

Your photo above, i believe it was a purpose leaked photo, i think if the door was open more, you would see even more, and realize that the part you believe to be real, may also be fake (and i believe it is fake based on the other photos i see, where i believe the real handle/edge is visible.)

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear

NEW MClAREN MAY BE A "FIT"????
How um...how much? I've got about $3.50. Pretty.

Quick Reply: The side scoop handle is not that big on the door...