Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We need a better sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

If he is successful, would you come back into this thread and give us your review?
Nah, will not happen. The 4X4 EL big box is for moving stuff & people not much of a DD. Would most likely get another Expedition or GM equivalent. That said if I was looking for a large DD it would be at the top of my list after a short look at & ride around the block.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

It is well known in audio circles that hi-fi begins at 60 DB signal above noise, real quality begins at 80 DB, and real audiofile stuff often gets over 120 DB.
It is well known that ear damage begins at 110 DBa.
It is well known that a C7 driving on street tires on an interstate at 70 MPH has an interior noise over 60 DBa.
Thus, in order to achieve hi-fi levels of audio performance, you have to be listening at a sound level that damages your ears.
And there is no way of achieving real quality sound, nor audiophile quality sound.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:02 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
It is well known in audio circles that hi-fi begins at 60 DB signal above noise, real quality begins at 80 DB, and real audiofile stuff often gets over 120 DB.
It is well known that ear damage begins at 110 DBa.
It is well known that a C7 driving on street tires on an interstate at 70 MPH has an interior noise over 60 DBa.
Thus, in order to achieve hi-fi levels of audio performance, you have to be listening at a sound level that damages your ears.
And there is no way of achieving real quality sound, nor audiophile quality sound.
Well, hearing damage begins well below 110 db, it's just the time needed above 110 is very short. But yes, a stock system won't even be close to 110. Probably more like 90. However, the noise floor in the car could be reduced to below 60 db... and then you get back to weight. It's a fun cycle.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 AM
davyalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think GM should give us an option of stereos in this new Vette, why not? Ok, some of you only want to hear the sound of your exhaust, some of us want some quality stereo sound, and no, I don't think you are going to get the same quality of sound in the Vette as you are going to get in the home or a true luxury vehicle. I love the sound from my Bang and Olufsen in my Audi A7, I was willing to pay a little more for a better system. It really has a great sound with a lot of power to push the speakers.

I'm with others on having a stereo company go into the car and start replacing parts. I know there are a lot of quality components and individuals that can do a great job, but why not just get a great infotainment system built into the car to start with in the new C8? Have a great infotainment system that will support Verizon or AT&T (the largest carriers, I hate my 2015 Audi only supports TMobile, nothing against TMobile, but it does not pick up in rural areas of Alabama, Mississippi, TN, Florida, and Georgia the way Verizon does), good speakers with a decent amp attached, and a good navigation system. Yes, I know we can use our phones for navigation, but it sure is nice to see it on a huge screen for these older eyes. I just don't want someone to start taking things apart in a new vehicle, plus, if the setup is in the wrong area, what will they have to cut in the dash to install something?

I saw the post that showed the spy shot of the bose speakers, I would just like the option of having a factory installed system of higher quality.

Some want the option of more power, some of AWD, some of sound systems, etc. I just don't think there is a right and wrong of what one enjoys with their car. If I do sell my C5 and buy a C8, I don't plan on taking my car to a track, or street racing, or seeing how fast my quarter mile time is, or how loud I can get my exhaust. I haven't done that with the C5, and I don't plan to start with the new one. I do love speed, cornering on a twisty road, and something inspirational playing through the speakers. (By the way, my inspirational music may be different than some of yours, options my friends)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 AM
ProblemHouston
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

You can improve any car audio system by bringing down the noise floor. Your mids and highs are impacted the most by the frequencies generated by road noise and thus taking away from the sound quality. Moving from an M3 to the Corvette the M car was far more quiet I fell like I i am yelling at the wife when we are driving together.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You sit in traffic for a couple of hours without the ability to hear your radio, then we'll talk. It's just gotta be good enough. I like to do a little but of everything so...
Get a Camry.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have driven my performance car(Corvettes) in 40 different states, Sure is nice to be able to mute the exhaust sounds and to have a decent "stereo sound" to listen too when I am putting in around 500 miles each day driving between motels, on those road trips. etc.

I think I'm interested in performance in my C6 Z06 with the aftermarket heads and a tune, etc to extract greater performance than what GM originally gave me.
If you're driving a Corvette "around 500 miles per day," then you're gonna wear out your car in a couple years. For that kinda mileage, I'd suggest something that has "longer service life" like a Pete or K/W.
Heck, I hear Boeing is having a sale on "left over" 737 MAX8's for cheap. (And, they're not bad on fuel at cruise.) Figure about 1.5 gallons (10lbs.) per mile. Not bad at 450kts.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM
jamesampm
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Get a Camry.
If you're driving a Corvette "around 500 miles per day," then you're gonna wear out your car in a couple years. For that kinda mileage, I'd suggest something that has "longer service life" like a Pete or K/W.
Heck, I hear Boeing is having a sale on "left over" 737 MAX8's for cheap. (And, they're not bad on fuel at cruise.) Figure about 1.5 gallons (10lbs.) per mile. Not bad at 450kts.
I think you're mistaking a Corvette for a Ferrari or Lamborghini... the Corvette is just fine as an every day driver.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Get a Camry.
It was an overturned semi truck with no way to turn around, I sat in the same place for 3 hours because of a freak accident, on my home to fix my daily. **** happens, it's nice to have just in case. Got any other remarks, smart ***?
The following users liked this post:
jamesampm (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM
jamesampm
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
It was an overturned semi truck with no way to turn around, I sat in the same place for 3 hours because of a freak accident, on my home to fix my daily. **** happens, it's nice to have just in case. Got any other remarks, smart ***?
sadly, some people on this forum live up to the "corvette douchebag" stereotype.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stymie222
When finalizing the design, I hope that GM will replace the Bose systems with a much better/powerful head unit and quality speakers. Bose doesn't deserve this new Corvette era. Ask anyone who finally got to see what they really bought.
Nope not needed, nothing better that a Bose
Old 04-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

There are much better options than Bose.. acquired taste I do not care for their sound personally. okay for a car I suppose, but it depends why you bought your car. I don't remember ever hearing that the Corvette racing team lost a race because they could not connect bluetooth or the sound quality was poor and they needed to pit early to upgrade a speaker or fix an FM preset..it's a sports car not a minivan. Maybe people want a pimp my ride goldfish tank in the convertible waterfall? lol
Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Nope not needed, nothing better that a Bose
Sure, if one can't tell the difference between fake high-quality sound, and real high-quality sound.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jamesampm
sadly, some people on this forum live up to the "corvette douchebag" stereotype.
(Hopefully I don't fit that one...) I actually just bought a new truck last week. (Has Bose, sounds alright) Hopefully I don't have to drive the vette to work as emergency ever again lol. Use it as a cruiser otherwise because the track closed. Of course I get the thing sorted out and then that happens. Wtf.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 AM
gearup72
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Default I agree with needing something better

Cars are full of compromises but I do agree that GM should put in a better system than the Bose. I had to add a subwoofer to my C6 to make it acceptable but I was always a bit disappointed. My other cars include an Acura MDX with a decent system and an Audi S5 with a B&O. I love the B&O in the Audi and would be willing to pay a little extra for it in the C8. I have not spent much time in the C7 but at least they added a sub so I hear it is much better than the C6. I just have a hard time getting excited about Bose. And, these car are so complicated and integrated that it hard to upgrade components.

I am a drummer and gravitate towards heavier music with double bass drums. I need the tight but heavy bass. I just wish that GM would just upgrade a bit - I'm not talking a 5K Burmester but maybe something along the lines of the B&O...

Quick Reply: We need a better sound system