Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine C8 Corvette will reportedly fit golf bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:00 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Since carrying everything someone owns is so important, maybe people will start putting on roof mounted cargo carriers on the hard top cars. I'll keep driving my SUV to the damn golf course.
The following 3 users liked this post by 68roadster:
ArmchairArchitect (06-03-2019), Michael A (06-02-2019), vndkshn (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 04:23 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by z8ra
I think maybe that people measure storage in sets of golf clubs, because it is easier for most people to visualize than if you said it stores 15 cubic feet, not because they think a lot of corvette people want to play golf (i think they are actually trying to get away from that demographic anyway)
But I would like to come up with something better than golf clubs, any ideas?.. it stores 2 over head bin suit cases? i think the size of those is fairly standardized and maybe even easier for most people to picture than bags of golf clubs. Bags of groceries? (paper). Gallon jugs of water? Severed heads? (that escalated quickly)
Exactly, that's all my wife and I need to fly to the NCM and drive back. Don't mind if one goes in the frunk and one in the trunk.

Last edited by fumbling; 06-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Punky Brewster is a sad guy. If you sucked at golf why did you play ten years? Slow leaner?
The following users liked this post:
freddieg (06-10-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by z8ra
I think maybe that people measure storage in sets of golf clubs, because it is easier for most people to visualize than if you said it stores 15 cubic feet, not because they think a lot of corvette people want to play golf (i think they are actually trying to get away from that demographic anyway)
But I would like to come up with something better than golf clubs, any ideas?.. it stores 2 over head bin suit cases? i think the size of those is fairly standardized and maybe even easier for most people to picture than bags of golf clubs. Bags of groceries? (paper). Gallon jugs of water? Severed heads? (that escalated quickly)
Totally agree with this. The two carry on is more important, airport trips or road trips. The 996, 997 and 991 allowed two stacked on top of each other in the frunk, so long as they were not too large.

Last edited by Michael T*; 06-02-2019 at 07:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael T*:
ArmchairArchitect (06-03-2019), vndkshn (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:55 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Yes, golf bag storage is necessary for the Corvette to maintain its reputation as a premier retiree's vehicle. Also on the feature list is an extra large compartment for storing early bird special restaurant coupons.
Forget golf. I’m doing my part to make the Corvette the premier vehicle of the Rock ‘n Roller. I currently put my guitar in the passenger seat and a small Marshall combo amp in the hatchback of my C7 to get to the gig. Hopefully, the Marshall amp will fit in the frunk of the C8, along with my guitar in the passenger seat. If not, I can always take my Jeep. Rock on people!
The following 3 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
ArmchairArchitect (06-03-2019), Michael A (06-02-2019), Twin6s (06-13-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:13 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
If the frunk is big enough to hold 2 golf bags, it will probably end up being an acoustic resonator like the rear compartment of the C7.

I can see it now: 5 different threads on the C8 forum in 2020.

--"How do I reduce road noise in my C8?"--

--"Sound Deadening kit now available for C8"--

--Will non-runflats reduce road noise in my C8?"

-- Dynamat install instruction for your C8 frunk?"--

--"If the C8 road noise bothers you, you shouldn't have bought a mid-engine sports car"
It doesn't have to be either or imo. Nor should it be if gm wants to continue selling a lot of corvettes.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:14 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,918 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller
People get so hung up on the fact that they use golf bags as a measurement when that measurement is more useful in many ways than just listing the volume of the space. Saying that a golf bag will fit gives you a good visual representation of the size, and it also tells you that the car has at least that much storage space in one single area and that it is not in a strange shape. I have a car that technically has a reasonable amount of storage space, but what the numbers don't show is that the storage space is split between two areas and that makes it hard to fit anything in.
The # of carry-on suitcases it can fit is a MUCH better and more widely useful unit of measure to general populace (of all demographics) than equipment related to a niche dying unathletic sport associated with senior citizens.

I, like, many, fear the silly fitting golf bags requirement by GM will add extra weight and dimensions to the car (eg. overhangs), affecting it's performance as a sports car.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 06-03-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
The # of carry-on suitcases it can fit is a MUCH better and more widely useful unit of measure to general populace (of all demographics) than equipment related to a niche dying unathletic sport associated with senior citizens.

I, like, many, fear the silly fitting golf bags requirement by GM will add extra weight and dimensions to the car (eg. overhangs), affecting it's performance as a sports car.
That is absolutely the best description of golf ever. Hilarious and so true.
ArmchairArchitect (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:28 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
That is absolutely the best description of golf ever. Hilarious and so true.
Corvette owners should be more concerned about how to fit their lawn chair bags in the C8 instead of golf bags. The media is pumping up golf because the number of games played is way down. How many people on the Corvette Team play golf?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Say it's 1937 and you are a "sport" that plays golf as well as likes to go to go to Broadway plays and eat at nice restaurants.

Which of these two would you prefer to drive to the country club for 18 holes, and then to a five star restaurant for dinner later that evening, with your wife?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
krazyKanuck
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

a) who cares
b) Took my 458 to the course a few times, just put my clubs in the passenger seat.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default You know what Dirty Harry says about Golf?

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I wonder how much cu ft it will be? Guesses?

"Golf? That's for ********!!!"

vetteman41960 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect

I wouldn't say it is objectively a much better unit of measure. For one, a set of golf clubs is much larger than a carry on bag, and telling people the car will carry 2 bags of golf clubs in my opinion is easier to envision than saying it will carry 5 carry on bags. For another, it shows the cargo area is large in a single area. A car may have enough space for three carry ons, but if they have to be placed in three different compartments that's not really the same as being able to fit them all in one. While the cargo requirements may seem silly to you, there is a large portion of Corvette buyers who do care about cargo capacity and the reason the Corvette sells so well is because of its wide appeal. If you throw the cargo capacity out the window then sales will take a hit and it's hard to say how financially viable the car would be for GM with lower sales. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Randy Miller; 06-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:19 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Originally Posted by IronV
"Golf? That's for ********!!!"
The President will not be happy
IronV (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:21 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Originally Posted by krazyKanuck
a) who cares
b) Took my 458 to the course a few times, just put my clubs in the passenger seat.
little tacky? Why not just take the Rolls?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Exactly, golf is on a serious decline. Golf clubs are folding right and left. Ridiculous waste of time and money. All the fat asses I know golf and think they are getting exercise, what a joke.

you probably tried it and shot 125 . I'd hate it too but I have played for over 30 years , down to a 3 handicap and I am not a fat ***. Stereotyping golfers is like stereotyping corvette owners. p.s I don't care if the c8 can hold 2 sets of clubs. My c7 can but if it didn't I'd just drive my daily driver to golf.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I can’t wait until the need to accommodate golf clubs in a Corvette goes the way of the dinosaurs. Nothing against golfing or golfers, just shouldn’t even be a consideration. Golfing is on the decline and the need to carry clubs isn’t a consideration for buyers looking to purchase many of the direct competitors (911, Huracan, R8, NSX, 570S, etc) to the Corvette.
advantage CORVETTE....

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine C8 Corvette will reportedly fit golf bags

Old 06-03-2019, 01:27 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The C8 will have a different issue....engine right behind your head....
Maybe. I avoid sitting behind the engines when I fly. Too much noise. I owned a Fiero once...granted it was a 4 banger but it was ok.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I can’t wait until the need to accommodate golf clubs in a Corvette goes the way of the dinosaurs. Nothing against golfing or golfers, just shouldn’t even be a consideration. Golfing is on the decline and the need to carry clubs isn’t a consideration for buyers looking to purchase many of the direct competitors (911, Huracan, R8, NSX, 570S, etc) to the Corvette.
I agree about the clubs, but the cars you mentioned are not going to be direct competitors to the corvette, yes the ME vette is going to be awesome, but it’s still going to be a mass produced car, people are expecting to much comparing it with some real exotics and rare cars that you maybe see on the road once or twice a year, the ME vette will be on every street corner in 3-4 years, the cars you mentioned..... not so much.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 06-03-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
Corvette owners should be more concerned about how to fit their lawn chair bags in the C8 instead of golf bags. The media is pumping up golf because the number of games played is way down. How many people on the Corvette Team play golf?

How many golf course are there?

How many road course tracks are there?

How many places in the US are nice to drive to for a road trip vacation?

I bet a hell of a lot more Corvette owners drive on road trips a couple times a year and/or play golf each week, than those that drive a HPDE every week, or even once a year.

The closest road course to me is Hallett and that is around 200 miles away. One hell of a lot more golf courses are within a 200 miles radius of me. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a dozen golf course within a ten mile radius and the closest one to me is about a mile away.

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine C8 Corvette will reportedly fit golf bags