Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:59 PM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 1,013 Likes on 305 Posts

Id be fine with a DCT as long as it has a clutch peddle for my left foot and a shiftier for my right hand. I don't think that's very hard for them to accomplish or expensive.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,224 Likes on 6,025 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport 2017
Id be fine with a DCT as long as it has a clutch peddle for my left foot and a shiftier for my right hand. I don't think that's very hard for them to accomplish or expensive.
That's retarded and pointless. Why work a clutch at that point when it's doing nothing.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's retarded and pointless. Why work a clutch at that point when it's doing nothing.
Because some people like it? Porsche did it....

Personally, I liked being able to keep both hands on the wheel at all times at Spring Mountain, paddle-shifting an automatic, because of the G-loads the Z06 is capable of generating.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-08-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Because some people like it? Porsche did it....

Personally, I liked being able to keep both hands on the wheel at all times at Spring Mountain, paddle-shifting an automatic, because of the G-loads the Z06 is capable of generating.
Excuse my ignorance, but what did Porsche do?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM
SCOTTCM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

If the C8 offers a Targa and MT I'm in once the Z06 equivalent comes along. I have continuously owned a MT corvette since 1988 and l love my C7 Z06 (it really is a pretty amazing car on the track on around town). If there is no C8 MT a 911 MT of some form is likely my next track/weekend car. I am really hoping they offer a C8 MT because that makes my decision simple.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Ditto
Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

The logic contained in some of these comments is quite entertaining. Arguing that the C8 should include a proper manual transmission because the competition has abandoned the technology and filling in this gap will add sales is like arguing that because other manufacturers have abandoned 8 Track tapes therefore Corvette should fill in the gap and have an 8 Track player. It doesn't make any sense and says Corvette should cling to the past, not the future. A clutch pedal and stick is dead technology.
ptalar (03-14-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport 2017
People aren't understanding what a DCT is. You would need two clutch pedals and two gear levers. That would be quite a handful to try to drive
jefnvk (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,933 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The logic contained in some of these comments is quite entertaining. Arguing that the C8 should include a proper manual transmission because the competition has abandoned the technology and filling in this gap will add sales is like arguing that because other manufacturers have abandoned 8 Track tapes therefore Corvette should fill in the gap and have an 8 Track player. It doesn't make any sense and says Corvette should cling to the past, not the future. A clutch pedal and stick is dead technology.
Aren't Targa tops pretty much dead technology? We have this thing called air conditioning now. It even has a thermostat.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-08-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
People aren't understanding what a DCT is. You would need two clutch pedals and two gear levers. That would be quite a handful to try to drive
I don't think he is saying what you think he is saying.

I believe he is saying that you could have a clutch pedal that electronically actuates the appropriate clutch (as determined by the vehicle), and a stick shift that electronically tells the car which gear to select (like in an arcade game). Basically spoofing the interaction and feel of a traditional stick shift while having the internals and protective software of a DCT/Automatic.

I am also a fan of the stick shift, and the lack of one in a Vette would definitely push me towards a Porsche if they offered a stick shift.

If the Vette was just "that good" I might settle for a DCT, but it would not be my first choice.

-T
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,933 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
I don't think he is saying what you think he is saying.

I believe he is saying that you could have a clutch pedal that electronically actuates the appropriate clutch (as determined by the vehicle), and a stick shift that electronically tells the car which gear to select (like in an arcade game). Basically spoofing the interaction and feel of a traditional stick shift while having the internals and protective software of a DCT/Automatic.

I am also a fan of the stick shift, and the lack of one in a Vette would definitely push me towards a Porsche if they offered a stick shift.

If the Vette was just "that good" I might settle for a DCT, but it would not be my first choice.

-T
I think most manual transmission drivers would be fine with an electronic system clutch and shifter system if it was well done. Many of the diaphragm clutches aren't that linear for effort and engagement anyway, so they could improve on that.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-08-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Those who wish can call the DCT a manual, and those who wish can call it an automatic. Works for everyone, except those who are stuck on the "stick" nomenclature.

My buddy's 911 turbo is a DCT, but also has a clutch pedal. I guess Porsche was trying to keep a foot in both worlds, until everything shakes out.
What 911 with a DCT also has a clutch pedal?
Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
It's one reason why I bought a C7. I was assured a manual transmission. Also, I only wanted the convertible. I was perfectly willing to wait the two+ or so years for a C8. If there's no manual, and no convertible C8, I'm pretty sure I'm good for a few years with my C7.
Exactly my thinking as well, except for the convertible part. No manual C8 and I'm good for the rest of my driving timeline with the C7.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't disagree with you. I simply said I'd hold on as long as I can, and I just have a hunch they'll get a lot of blowback at least over the next 5, maybe up to 10 years. Thus, it wouldn't surprise me to see a manual return if it isn't initially offered that way. When Porsche drops it once and for all, that will be the clue that they're really gone forever.

I don't think carb vs. fuel injection is a good analogy though, because for many it's a difference in the fun and involvement factor. I don't know how anyone could argue that for carb vs. FI.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 AM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Absolutely no interest in an Auto only ME vette...
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 AM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a chavy
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Those who insist on a manual tranny can buy a Camaro, at least for the first year or two of the C8's production. Front engine is best for manual trannys anyways since gears can be shifted directly without a long complicated linkage to the rear of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Those who insist on a manual tranny can buy a Camaro, at least for the first year or two of the C8's production. Front engine is best for manual trannys anyways since gears can be shifted directly without a long complicated linkage to the rear of the car.
The vast majority Corvette fans who want a manual transmissions will not buy a Camaro.

With regard to your assertions about the long and complicated linkage, how do you explain how Porsche has done it since 1952 to present and VW Beetle before that? And you do understand that the transmission has been in the rear of Corvettes for 22 years (C5-C7) don't you? What about that "long and complicated linkage?"

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
This is an utterly absurd post devoid of both logic and accuracy. Had C7 been auto-only, there is a large percentage of folks who never would have purchased the C7. I am one of them. I preferred the Jaguar F-Type to the auto C7, and would have kept mine except that I wanted a manual. It is the only reason I preferred the C7.

I did not argue, " . . . that the C8 should include a proper manual transmission because the competition has abandoned the technology." I said Corvette sells as surprisingly large percentage of manual C7s (23%) because most of the competition does not offer it. That fact is undeniable. Some folks like myself only purchased a C7 because of it.

That's how market research is done, and the large take rate of C7 manuals was no doubt considered during the C8 design process. What was decided and why is an unknown at this point, and just another topic of pure speculation without foundation.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:20 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

This debate is always hilarious..... not to change the subject... did you notice the F8 added at hood scoop ...just like a Corvette!!!!!!! There will never be a manual trans in the C8...take that to the bank.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

YOUR opinion.

Quick Reply: Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?