Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:14 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Zevo
The design renders of the C8 will never accurately portray the real beauty of the car. Think back to the Completely accurate Jalopnik release. They were spot on, but drawings don’t portray a cars real beauty. Nonetheless, I think this process of trying to come up with an accurate shape are fun and I appreciate the work of those involved in doing the drawings. I’m excited about this new direction for Corvettes. I just hope they aren’t too conservative with the design. I want it to look more Ferrari or Lamborghini. I’ll be disappointed if it looks something like a mclaren mp4-12c
I don't see looking like a McLaren as a problem -especially the MP4-12C. it is the cleanest, best looking car they have built.

What I think we will get from Bennion and his team is the C7 "stream surface" treatment of a shape much like the MP4. The genius of the C7 was the transformation of the classic Corvette shape from a "too smooth" bar of soap which the C6 had into a "slick stiletto". I would expect if you apply this same logic to the MP4 you will end up with what we will call the C8.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

^^^ That is rather boring looking, IMO. If it looks like this, I’d pass. This car is all round. Needs to look more like a Ferrari in my option, or at least a blend of sharp and smooth lines.

Also, regarding your smooth bar of soap comment, I agree that is DEFINITELY a true statement for the C5, but not the C6. The C6 is a timeless design, IMO. Especially If you set up with a nice set of aftermarket wheels and a lowered suspension, it will look good forever.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-25-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Zevo
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I don't see looking like a McLaren as a problem -especially the MP4-12C. it is the cleanest, best looking car they have built.

What I think we will get from Bennion and his team is the C7 "stream surface" treatment of a shape much like the MP4. The genius of the C7 was the transformation of the classic Corvette shape from a "too smooth" bar of soap which the C6 had into a "slick stiletto". I would expect if you apply this same logic to the MP4 you will end up with what we will call the C8.
Well, you’re probably right about it not being a problem if it looked like the mclaren. I’d probably still end up buying one as long as the price is reasonable, but I’d still prefer it be wilder looking
Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
That is rather boring looking, IMO. If it looks like this, I’d pass. This car is all round. Needs to look more like a Ferrari in my option, or at least a blend of sharp and smooth lines.

Also, regarding your smooth bar of soap comment, I agree that is DEFINITELY a true statement for the C5, but not the C6. The C6 is a timeless design, IMO. Especially If you set up with a nice set of aftermarket wheels and a lowered suspension, it will look good forever.
Hi, Paul. No knock intended on the C6, but you can clearly see a progression from "soap bar" to the "ribbon" or "sleek stiletto" look of the C7 when you look at the C5, C6 and C7 together. The C6 is somewhat in between the rounded C5 look and the faceted / ribbon C7 look. All I am saying is if there is a progression in the design eye of the artisans in the clay shops in Warren, MI, it is along this path.

The MP4-12C is a milestone in ME design layout which is lower and leaner than even the Ferrari 458 and 488, (I have seen them side-by-side and measured them a couple of times), but when introduced, it was rounded like a bar of soap or a C5. As a result it looks a bit dated. McLaren has attempted to make it look more exciting with the 570, 650 and P1 models (which are all, structurally, the same monocoque chassis), but just made it uglier. As an efficient layout for a ME sports car, however, the McLaren is pretty 21st Century.

The same physics and packaging considerations will force the overall shape of the C8 Corvette into the same "envelope of space" the McLaren now occupies.....only the scale may change slightly. (Think longer but not significantly wider or taller to accommodate a bigger power plant and more storage.) What I am saying is that if you follow this "envelope" imperative and the surface styling progression we have seemed from Warren, it is logical to imagine that a marriage of the C7 "ribbons" (or what I call "stream surfaces") and the MP4-12C "envelope" will drive the C8 outer moldline, (OML).

I suggest this not so much a "leap of faith" as deductive observation because the design parameters for a mid-engine car are very restrictive, and not nearly as big as that of the previous seven generations of front / front-mid engine Corvettes. It also that squares with what we have seen in both the covered prototype spy shots and the leaked CAD images.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:37 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If the upcoming c8 looks Beautiful with a rear mid engine sports car with a 500 hp derived LT1 derivative powertrain..,...

The automotive world will go insane....and GM won't be able to produce enough for many years to come.

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-25-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default God in heaven

Originally Posted by Stew24
My latest take on what the C8 hides under the camo! Some have been trying to force feed the idea that the roof will follow the C7 type quarter glass windows. Thankfully the O.P. has put that notion to rest! The upswing aft of the doors is seen on almost every mule if you look carefully. You can see the cut lines of it, that are trying to be hidden by the crazzy wrap. Laferarri type side scoops were seen way back in '15 on this early C8 render that I modified.
I sure as hell hope it looks more like that.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Bold vs Dull

Originally Posted by elegant
Spot on Zevo, when you wrote, “I just hope they aren’t too conservative with the design.

I had a conversation with Kirk Bennion at the BASH about this very issue. There was one point when just he and I were surrounded by a SR, a GS, and a Z06, and I commended him by saying, “we all love these cars; you and your team did a fantastic job. I am not asking for a response in return, but you went bold on the C7, and we all hope that the next Corvette generation, whenever it arrives, will be similarly bold.”

He responded, which surprised me.
C1, 2, 3... Bold as all hell. C4, 5, 6... Warm toast. C7... Bold as all hell. C8... I'm hoping hard!
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:28 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speednet
^^^ Me too. Too much discussion of Ferrari.
Screw Ferrari. The 458 and 488 are ugly as toads. Chaotic, puffy design. The La Ferrari-much better.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IronV
C1, 2, 3... Bold as all hell. C4, 5, 6... Warm toast. C7... Bold as all hell. C8... I'm hoping hard!
Here's my take:

C1 - Too Harley Earl-esque
C2 - Steve McQueen Cool
C3 - Too George Barris Kustom-esque
C4 - Too John DeLorean-esque
C5 - Huge Improvement, But Too Soft Lines
C6 - Even Bigger Improvement, But Too C5-esque
C7 - Brad Pitt Cool
C8 - Euro Mid-Engine-esque or George Barris Kustom Rides Again ??
Shaka (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 01:50 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

Nothing wrong with the McClaren, but what I really hope GM has emulated is a cleaner, more integrated use of aero pieces. The one thing you don't see much of on the best ME designs are tacked on ground effects and spoilers that took like an afterthought. As much as I love my C7 GS, I still think the base Stingray, without all the bolted on parts, is a better looking car.

I enjoy the aggressive look of the wide body GS and I did choose it over the Stingray, but I would prefer the GS with full front fenders (like the ZR1), and no add-ons. Less is sometimes more......but sometimes less is just less. Hopefully they will strike the right note between making a bold statement or an overdone one.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-25-2018 at 01:51 AM.
RapidC84B (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The MP4-12C aesthetically never did anything for me.
The subsequent models OTOH....
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Can you folks please start a different thread with your discussions about which Corvette generation is cool and for your feelings about McClaren or Ferrari or any other non-Corvette? This really sucks with how you're taking the thread off-topic.

If there is no new discussion about this "sneak peak" of the C8 (i.e., the subject of this thread), then just don't reply here. Post someplace else.
The following 3 users liked this post by Speednet:
DebRedZR1 (02-25-2018), RoketRdr (02-25-2018), Timz16 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
Can you folks please start a different thread with your discussions about which Corvette generation is cool and for your feelings about McClaren or Ferrari or any other non-Corvette? This really sucks with how you're taking the thread off-topic.

If there is no new discussion about this "sneak peak" of the C8 (i.e., the subject of this thread), then just don't reply here. Post someplace else.
Discussing existing rear mid engine cars is relatable to the upcoming rear mid engine c8.

There is no other news on the corvette spy photos under disguise this week so we are just discussing possible forms that the next generation will follow.

Obviously it would not be exact but we can see from existing competitors that for example the front and rear overhangs as well as overall proportions might be camoflauge (extended rear overhangs) or the new corvette will be closer to the original nsx with an extended rear overhang.

We re just shooting the breeze as none of us know anything other than what we've seen...

Extended Discussions, extrapolations and imagination are pretty much what future product area forums are about...

Don't worry the corvette team will not exactly follow the mclaren or Ferrari.

The corvette design team will create a more corvette themed end product...

Heritage will shine through to shout to the automotive world this is a corvette

We check the forums or at least I check to see if something new popped up...

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-25-2018 at 07:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
Spike5 (02-25-2018), supermetroid (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Let's get back to the C8 CORVETTE and subject of this thread please.................................. .............

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 02-25-2018 at 08:41 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
firstvettesoon (02-25-2018), RoketRdr (02-25-2018), rpoz06 (02-26-2018), Speednet (02-25-2018), Timz16 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 AM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

^Good post JerriVette!

I hope it's more Ferrarish than that McLaren posted above or new NSX. While the latter two look good, they do look pretty ordinary for supercars. I think the C7 is beautiful everywhere but the rear, so I hope they improve the C8 drastically there. I think falling somewhere in the middle of the looks departments in exoticness, where the NSX is low and the Lambos and wildest Ferraris are the highest, will be the safest bet. But if they create something as wild looking and beautiful as well it will set the car world on fire!

Last edited by supermetroid; 02-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.
JerriVette (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,755 Likes on 4,184 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Default Warning to all....

People,

This thread is 27 pages to date. We keep the discussions to the C8 Corvette, NOT the McLaren or other cars.
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
DebRedZR1 (02-25-2018), elegant (02-25-2018), firstvettesoon (02-25-2018), FrankLP (02-25-2018), Speednet (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

MODS:

Can you please explain to me why people discussing what brands the C8 may take design cues from in a thread titled “I got a sneak peak” is out of line? After all, we are trying to piece together what this car could look like. That’s what this thread is about. It’s all in good fun...I don’t get it. This is ridiculous, IMO.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Paulchristian:
JerriVette (02-25-2018), Rapid Fred (02-25-2018), RapidC84B (02-25-2018), Shaka (03-11-2018), supermetroid (02-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

MODS:

Can you please explain to me why people discussing what brands the C8 may take design cues from in a thread titled “I got a sneak peak” is out of line? After all, we are trying to piece together what this car could look like. That’s what this thread is about. It’s all in good fun...I don’t get it. This is ridiculous, IMO.
You don't need to wait for the mods, I'll tell you. Because as soon as you do that (which has happened within every thread in the C8 forum over and over and over) the discussion becomes "No, I hate that car" and "but that car is awesome" and "but what about how great this car is" and "let me post 10 huge photos of these other cars" and "look at this crazy C3 someone stuck an engine in the back of" AND ON AND ON.

Look at the title of the thread and the first post. That is what the thread is about. People want to discuss that subject, not the different thing that you want to discuss.

Why don't you simply create your own thread comparing the C8 to a McClaren or a Ferrari? Then you can have at it without ruining this thread.
The following 4 users liked this post by Speednet:
DebRedZR1 (02-25-2018), elegant (02-25-2018), FrankLP (02-25-2018), RoketRdr (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

MODS:

It's pretty self explanatory. This thread is about the evolution of the car based on what OP may have seen. As the poster above stated if you want to discuss and compare to other cars start a new thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
elegant (02-25-2018), FrankLP (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In order to speculate on what is under the camouflage, you HAVE to reference other competitive vehicles. If not, this and most C8 treads would be a few comments long at most. This is a very active thread. So, I’m guessing people are engaged in it and looking forward to future posts. In comparison, I see other posts that have very few comments and then just pass into oblivion. Just my two cents.....
The following 4 users liked this post by Spike5:
JerriVette (02-25-2018), Paulchristian (02-25-2018), Rapid Fred (02-25-2018), RapidC84B (02-25-2018)

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!