Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My 7L 505 HP C6 Z06 gets better(15%) fuel economy than the 5.7L C5 I had, did, and is way faster than the 345 HP C5.
I need to hey my C6 looked at then. My gas milage ain't so hot and I only have 6.0l.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I have loved corvettes since I was a little kid and saw my neighbor with one, around '63. I have had four corvettes so far and still get giddy just looking at them.
But I have to say, for me personally, mid engine does not turn me on at all. There is something about opening the hood and seeing that monster engine. Even if I just look at it and never do anything with it. I am sure there are many advantages for racing and performance but....
nope. Sorry, I'm out.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I keep thinking back to the 1970s nod all the press releases as a kid that were for a mid engine corvette..

Now in my late fifties..I'd like to see the mid engine corvette come to production.

I've enjoyed front engine corvettes for a couple of decades and a couple of hundred thousand miles...and loved it...

Still if I could get a rear mid engine corvette for about five grand more than I could get a z51 c7...I'd be happy...to start msrp)

I'd pay five grand more for a DCT transmission too...if it became available and I've been driving manuals for forty years...

Still I'd be willing to try something new in the corvette brand...if GM makes it...

If it's a 150 grand exotic I'll pass..
Old 04-29-2017, 01:55 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default what a mess

mid-engine, zr-1,z06,grand sport,z51, non-z51
i guess this is some sort of porsche approach of just trying to put a lot of versions out there. but it has worked for porsche so why not.

will all vettes be rear engine? will there be an awd version?, 4 or 6 or 8?

maybe gm just feels they've gone as far as they can with the rwd.
if they hope to field a version that can do a 0-60 in under 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile in the 10's a mid-engine version will have to be built.

maybe gm builds a version to match the 911 awd turbo at the top.
and like porsche a more diverse selection for others.

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Don't misunderstand I love Corvettes and have driven them most of my life. I think each of us drives a Corvette for different reasons but I use mine in the summer for recreation. More importantly I love to take road trips. My current Corvette has all the space my wife and I need to travel.
Performance is important but cruising is my number one.
A lot of owners like to track their Corvettes and I think that's cool. The mid engine will be perfect for increasing the ability for a Corvette to improve lap times. Chevrolet plans on producing both front and mid engine Corvettes to hedge their bet. It will be interesting to see which market is stronger regardless of price.

What do you think?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

None of us know yet...some hope for a diverse range of corvettes inclusive of both front and rear mid engine corvettes...some have even joked about corvette cuv s like the Porsche Macan....

I'm hoping for a rear mid engine corvette priced a few bucks more than today's z51 and running up around 130 grand for the top model..

A corvette cuv like the Macan wouldn't bother me although I probably wouldn't choose it as a family transport but you never know...

We should see in a few months or the next year what spy photos pop up for the c8...

Another rumor is ....c8 ultra exotic rear mid engine corvette to run concurrently with the c7 for a few years..

Right new we are all just guessing
Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
None of us know yet...some hope for a diverse range of corvettes inclusive of both front and rear mid engine corvettes...some have even joked about corvette cuv s like the Porsche Macan....

I'm hoping for a rear mid engine corvette priced a few bucks more than today's z51 and running up around 130 grand for the top model..

A corvette cuv like the Macan wouldn't bother me although I probably wouldn't choose it as a family transport but you never know...

We should see in a few months or the next year what spy photos pop up for the c8...

Another rumor is ....c8 ultra exotic rear mid engine corvette to run concurrently with the c7 for a few years..

Right new we are all just guessing
I'm hoping for a front engine(but with more weight bias to the rear like the AMG GT R), with a screaming 800 HP NA DOHC V8, a 9 speed DCT with lighting quick shifts while being as smooth as a baby's butt when taking off and shifting in around town driving).

I'm also hoping it has a quality interior that will put Audi to shame.

I'm also hoping for a street tire on this Corvette that will go 50,000 miles and behave as it they are drag radials with zero spinning, and are quieter than a Lexus driving down a grooved concrete highway at 100 MPH.

I'm also hoping GM comes up with a radar/laser defeating device as standard equipment(kind of like what we are using to cause North Korea's missiles to explode shortly after launch), and that the LEO's don't understand why every time they aim at a Corvette, the display ALWAYS shows 1 MPH under the posted speed limit.

I'm also hoping I can trade my used C6 Z06 even up for one(but only if they put a CD player, with a 100 disc holder, in the new one).

is that asking to much?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:42 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Joec5... many of us enjoy your participation,,,if We had anything to say about it...you should get all you are hoping for...

Thanks as always.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Joe,
Your list is a good starting point but I think you left out some things:
1. 38MPG combined
2. Weight of 2,800lbs (or less)
3. Top speed of 217MPH
4. $13.71 higher than current C7 MSRP
5. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds
6. Cap production at 1,000 cars per year so that the car won't depreciate (but make sure I can buy one with 15% discount).
Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Joe,
Your list is a good starting point but I think you left out some things:
1. 38MPG combined
2. Weight of 2,800lbs (or less)
3. Top speed of 217MPH
4. $13.71 higher than current C7 MSRP
5. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds
6. Cap production at 1,000 cars per year so that the car won't depreciate (but make sure I can buy one with 15% discount).
Right on....
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitter
Corvette is alluring to me because it is world class performance while staying middle class budget. I don't think they will be able to keep that equation with a mid-engine. Hence, I dont think it will be for me either.
Best comments I have seen so far!!

Let's hope Chevrolet keeps the front engine configuration and possibly adds a Mid engine a special edition at the most...When is the last time you saw a large group of Ford GT's running down the road on a weekend fun run?

The reason the Corvette has kept it's popularity is because it is America's somewhat affordable sports car!!!
The following users liked this post:
Bill17601 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
Best comments I have seen so far!!

Let's hope Chevrolet keeps the front engine configuration and possibly adds a Mid engine a special edition at the most...When is the last time you saw a large group of Ford GT's running down the road on a weekend fun run?

The reason the Corvette has kept it's popularity is because it is America's somewhat affordable sports car!!!
some what affordable? It's very affordable I could get a C4 for less than 5k.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I'd love to have one!
But sadly, the day I can spend $100k+ on a new car will likely never dawn. Kudos to those of you who have the means. Sure, used prices of the MidVette will come down in price as they age, but I also wouldn't be comfortable spending $60k on a 6-year-old used car with no warranty.
Then you can spend $60K on a brand new C8. No need to spend that on a used one.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Old 08-30-2019, 11:04 PM
MAGRED-02
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are we bringing back a 2+ year old thread? I have to assume it's because the OP dared to not drool over a mid engine design. Not everybody likes the mid engine. Time to get over it.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:43 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Don't misunderstand I love Corvettes and have driven them most of my life. I think each of us drives a Corvette for different reasons but I use mine in the summer for recreation. More importantly I love to take road trips. My current Corvette has all the space my wife and I need to travel.
Performance is important but cruising is my number one.
A lot of owners like to track their Corvettes and I think that's cool. The mid engine will be perfect for increasing the ability for a Corvette to improve lap times. Chevrolet plans on producing both front and mid engine Corvettes to hedge their bet. It will be interesting to see which market is stronger regardless of price.

What do you think?
I had a 2015 C7Z06 and a 2009 Audi R8, both cars were manuals. When it came to comfort better quite daily or road trip driving the R8 hands down was the better car. The FE C5/C6/C7 have a large trunk over the wheels with wide tires that create a lot of road noise. I know someone who spoke to many of the Corvette engineers even Tadge and 90% of them said what they love most about the C8 it’s how it drives. According to the engineers the new car does have a lot of room and is a better long distance driver.

IMO it is could be shortsighted without testing a new C8 for yourself. In the end if you can afford a C8, you could be missing out of a better experience than your C7. If you don’t like the C8 after testing it then you know you made the best decision to stay with the C7.

This is from the team that built the past generation Corvettes.
https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...e-team-members

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-31-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.