Edmunds U-Drag Eray vs 750S

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 01:54 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by /Bear/
Serious questions for anyone who knows...

I've read that the Model S Plaid 0-60 times we all know about are only when it's put into Drag Strip Mode — in which it cools its motors, conditions its battery, gets into Cheetah Stance, etc. How long does all that take?

And, secondly, if not fully set up in Drag Strip Mode, how fast is a Plaid really, in daily conditions, when it just pulls up to a stop light?
I can answer that question. This is Launch control But NOT drag ready ( meaning it takes for ever to get drag ready ) but the car will allow the launch mode even though its NOT warmed up . Car ran a 2.11 with 60ft roll up a hill... getting it to launch takes 3 seconds without even worrying about DRAG MODE engaged )

The following users liked this post:
/Bear/ (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 478 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
I can answer that question. This is Launch control But NOT drag ready ( meaning it takes for ever to get drag ready ) but the car will allow the launch mode even though its NOT warmed up . Car ran a 2.11 with 60ft roll up a hill... getting it to launch takes 3 seconds without even worrying about DRAG MODE engaged )

That is crazy fast and going uphill!!!!
Old 04-06-2024, 05:30 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
EV's....jmho...fast or not
Well I have not had anyone fall asleep or snooze when I step on the accelerator in my Tesla X Plaid. It is crazy fast - 1020 hp. And is pulls crazy from any legal speed. Before the C8 Z06 and ERAY could could not get a Corvette under 3 seconds. The X Plaid does 0-60 in 2.5. Jus think what GM could do with twin 100+ electric motors up front and the Z06 ICE in the back?
The following 2 users liked this post by msm859:
FreddyG (04-12-2024), Z0HS1CK (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 05:48 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,249 Likes on 2,179 Posts

The hybrid FI C8 is going to be a monster. Probably be 200k+ and too rich for my blood but i'll be proud corvette could represent what could be a plaid killer in factory form. Something other car makers try to do and get very close but at a 400k+ price tag.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
But you get the extra acceleration speed using otherwise mostly wasted braking energy (as well as otherwise wasted idling energy if like me you use Stop/Start. I find it's almost as good as the wife's BMW SUV, that is excellent. As soon as my foot is off the brake could not get it to the throttle as fast as the engine is running and car moving forward! (Appears to seldom use the starter motor, like the BMW. It uses the combustion pressure in cylinder where the engine was stopped soon after it fired. (Similar in concept to what was called a Coffman starter devise used in WWII for airplanes, tanks etc when electric power was not available.)

Consider for almost as much power at the C8 Z06, the E-Ray gets:
16 City/24 Highway/19 Combined.
Where the Z06 gets:
12 City/21 highway/15 Combined.

That's 4/15 = 26% better mpg Combined EPA MPG

I didn't get the z06 for MPG or 0-60 times though.

I, like many, got the z06 for it's engine. That's why you get the car. I want to be emotionally involved with the car. The z06 is a car that brings emotion and carries it with you whenever you drive.

If i wanted almost undefeated 0-60-100-130 times vs anyone i encounter on the street, i'd get a plaid. I already have a tesla. And it's damn quick for what it is but my weekend toy i need to have that involvement. That emotion. And ERAY won't give me that that's why i didn't get one.

But it's definitely the right step for what's to come when GM brings out the hybrid FI variant. ZR1, zora whatever it'll be called.

That will be the holy grail, the grand daddy of corvettes.
msm859 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 06:27 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,018 Likes on 1,831 Posts

This one pretty much went the way I expected. I compared the E-Ray times and speeds to the 3 u-drags the Z06 has done so far. Basically for the 1/4 mile its all E-Ray, especially on that unprepped, not so great surface they run on. But after that, into the turn around and back, its not even close. It's pretty obvious that both cars are really excelling at what their intended purpose seems to be. Both cars are pretty bad ***, just in different ways. I'd still really like to see them ran side by side rather than comparing times that were done a year apart.

Last edited by smithers; 04-06-2024 at 06:52 PM.
/Bear/ (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 10:30 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I guess that extra weight really shows on the top end.

I thought it'd be a bit faster though.
Weight doesn’t show up top, drag does and the electric motor running out of juice which means the top end of the E-Ray is slower than a Stingray.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:34 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,756 Likes on 2,940 Posts

Ouch...
Old 04-07-2024, 07:11 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Weight doesn’t show up top, drag does and the electric motor running out of juice which means the top end of the E-Ray is slower than a Stingray.
But doesn't the ERAY and Z06 have the same CD?

Plus someone said the electric motor shuts off at 150. The race never got to that point so i assumed it was just the weight that slowed the car down. Or maybe the electric motor does shut off sooner than 150.

9mph difference at those speeds is pretty big.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:09 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Plus someone said the electric motor shuts off at 150. The race never got to that point so i assumed it was just the weight that slowed the car down. Or maybe the electric motor does shut off sooner than 150.

The majority of the run is acceleration, my assumption is the battery didn’t recharge enough in the U-turn and was depleted before reaching the finish line. I took shutting off at 150 meaning the load is to high at that speed, but that doesn’t mean you can’t drain the battery under that speed where it’s not improving acceleration. 9mph is definitely more than weather conditions and it was obviously making less than the advertised 15hp difference.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:02 AM
rackemup
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

The E-Ray looked like a monster out of the hole. That low end SOTP kick is so addictive like a Big Block or C7 Z06. E-Ray for me as I could care less if some Euro snob mobile can out run me over 100 MPH. Very, very few of us spend time in that speed zone. I'm not a fan of the "kit car" McLaren look either.
This late model sports/performance car stuff is all so damn fast that it really isn't worth much more to be a tad faster for the majority of us.

Last edited by rackemup; 04-07-2024 at 10:28 AM.
3LZR21U (04-09-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Yep GM states electric motor is disconnected after 150 mph (can only twist it ~18,000 rpm before something gives.- Gee that's more that the Z06's 8600! )

Even on the first acceleration section, the 750S caught it before the 1/4 mile. Has little to do with battery discharging in ~10 seconds, mostly the motor power characteristics. See pic I made from the Jason Cammisa MC'd excellent video where it bested a Ferrari, Lambo and C8 Z06 in the quarter compared to Tesla Motor data. (Note it beat the Z06 by only ~0.10 seconds and in a few more feet the Z06 would have past!) On the 2nd acceleration it did not have its key advantage over RWD cars- much better FWD launch. Also, it was stated it was only at 50% charge. (I find in my aggressive street driving in Z-Mode set to Track rapidly charges back to ~100% charge. Appears to use the one other method other than braking and coasting. Makes the LT2 push the front wheels with motor changed to generator. In MY Mode, I also use, it only charges to 80% and not as aggressively in charging.)

The E-Ray does just what I bought it for, street driving where I don't get to 130 mph (at least not often.)

SIDEBAR
RE buying the Z06 because you like the smaller displacement, flat plan crank, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder engine- been there done that with high rpm engines. Fine on a Track, gets old street driving. But the LT6 does get good low-end torque.

Nope I'll take the old GM small block LT2 with the same bore spacing I had in my ~200 hp '56 Chevy! Love what GM engineers have been able to accomplish without needing Sunoco 260 100+ octane gas as we did back in the day to run 11:1 compression. I prefer my extra power coming from a battery using otherwise wasted energy. Nope, I did not buy the E-Ray to get better MPG, BUT feel-good capturing otherwise wasted energy. Same reason I use the Stop/Start and don't push the defeat button. No "Greenie," just like to do the best I can to get more than ~15% of the gasoline energy I buy propelling the car forward! now if I really want to waste energy, I drive the 8.2 Liter BB in my Street Rod with no OD gear trans and a Dif ratio that gets <10 mpg cruising. At WOT I can see the gas gauge move!

Past ~100 mph the E-Ray electric power drops off! As noted, it similar to what happens with tesla EV motors. It's big advance over FWD cars is a car+ length better launch! E-Ray electric Motor Power from car display on the Cammisa MC'd Drag Race video.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-07-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:47 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Yep GM states electric motor is disconnected after 150 mph (can only twist it ~18,000 rpm before something gives.- Gee that's more that the Z06's 8600! )

Even on the first acceleration section, the 750S caught it before the 1/4 mile. Has little to do with battery discharging in ~10 seconds, mostly the motor power characteristics. See pic I made from the Jason Cammisa MC'd excellent video where it bested a Ferrari, Lambo and C8 Z06 in the quarter compared to Tesla Motor data. (Note it beat the Z06 by only ~0.10 seconds and in a few more feet the Z06 would have past!) On the 2nd acceleration it did not have its key advantage over RWD cars- much better FWD launch. Also, it was stated it was only at 50% charge. (I find in my aggressive street driving in Z-Mode set to Track rapidly charges back to ~100% charge. Appears to use the one other method other than braking and coasting. Makes the LT2 push the front wheels with motor changed to generator. In MY Mode, I also use, it only charges to 80% and not as aggressively in charging.)

The E-Ray does just what I bought it for, street driving where I don't get to 130 mph (at least not often.)

SIDEBAR
RE buying the Z06 because you like the smaller displacement, flat plan crank, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder engine- been there done that with high rpm engines. Fine on a Track, gets old street driving. But the LT6 does get good low-end torque.

Nope I'll take the old GM small block LT2 with the same bore spacing I had in my ~200 hp '56 Chevy! Love what GM engineers have been able to accomplish without needing Sunoco 260 100+ octane gas as we did back in the day to run 11:1 compression. I prefer my extra power coming from a battery using otherwise wasted energy. Nope, I did not buy the E-Ray to get better MPG, BUT feel-good capturing otherwise wasted energy. Same reason I use the Stop/Start and don't push the defeat button. No "Greenie," just like to do the best I can to get more than ~15% of the gasoline energy I buy propelling the car forward! now if I really want to waste energy, I drive the 8.2 Liter BB in my Street Rod with no OD gear trans and a Dif ratio that gets <10 mpg cruising. At WOT I can see the gas gauge move!

Past ~100 mph the E-Ray electric power drops off! As noted, it similar to what happens with tesla EV motors. It's big advance over FWD cars is a car+ length better launch! E-Ray electric Motor Power from car display on the Cammisa MC'd Drag Race video.
Braking was how many seconds of the 32 second run? It only takes 10 (1/4 mile) for the E-Ray for the car to have a slower acceleration I thought as bad this is basically like back to back 1/4 mile runs, but the test I’d really like to see is like the one done with Porsche Turbo launch control flogging it over and over as that would show if there’s much of a drop in power. I’m curious your thoughts on why they only ran 2.8 0-60 in good conditions?
Old 04-07-2024, 12:02 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I'm just surprised at the lower MPH though. It had traction coming out of that corner for the last straight and still only managed 136mph?

I thought before watching this video i would see it at 141 or 142 or pretty even with the z06. Maybe we should give more credit to the z06 for its top end after all lol.
After watching videos again, the E-Ray had head wind on the return where as Z06 had a tailwind. Makes since as to why the 1/4 mile trap speeds were almost identical at 130 as it was a headwind for Z06 and tailwind for E-Ray as well as battery was fresher on first half of run when those numbers are recorded.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:15 PM
rackemup
Racer

I'll take the C8 that performs best under 100 MPH, not many of us are regularly accelerating beyond the 90 or 100 MPH mark. Being well into my 60s the 0-60 or 80 is what I would care most about. Top speed, lap time at Laguna Seca or the Ring means next to nothing other than for conversation or internet chatter from my perspective. If you are one of the few guys who track their C8 regularly then the Z06 would be your obvious choice. I'll take my power down low, not looking to chase 6K or 7K rpm to get the cars sweet spot.
The following 4 users liked this post by rackemup:
/Bear/ (04-07-2024), 3LZR21U (04-09-2024), KcAviator (04-09-2024), msm859 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 12:49 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

I didn't get the z06 for MPG or 0-60 times though.

I, like many, got the z06 for it's engine. That's why you get the car. I want to be emotionally involved with the car. The z06 is a car that brings emotion and carries it with you whenever you drive.

If i wanted almost undefeated 0-60-100-130 times vs anyone i encounter on the street, i'd get a plaid. I already have a tesla. And it's damn quick for what it is but my weekend toy i need to have that involvement. That emotion. And ERAY won't give me that that's why i didn't get one.

But it's definitely the right step for what's to come when GM brings out the hybrid FI variant. ZR1, zora whatever it'll be called.

That will be the holy grail, the grand daddy of corvettes.
I guess once you have owned a few Sport Bikes (like me) Hayabusa, GSXR's 1100, 750, going back 30 years now, the emotion of hanging on while twisting the throttle while pulling to 11500 rpms, trying to keep the front wheel down, or not keeping the front wheel down through a couple of gears is hard to match with any car. Imagine the emotions of those who pay for exotics cars only to be looking at taillights and hearing the sound of a V8 at 6500-6800 rpms, I wonder if you can still hear your own RPMs being behind another's exhaust? Of course, it could sound like a little 6 cylinder running a 9.9x 1/4 too, less noise more speed @1:14. Still tempted to buy a Turbo S at times....if I wasn't such a Vette fanatic.

Originally Posted by rackemup
I'll take the C8 that performs best under 100 MPH, not many of us are regularly accelerating beyond the 90 or 100 MPH mark. Being well into my 60s the 0-60 or 80 is what I would care most about. Top speed, lap time at Laguna Seca or the Ring means next to nothing other than for conversation or internet chatter from my perspective. If you are one of the few guys who track their C8 regularly then the Z06 would be your obvious choice. I'll take my power down low, not looking to chase 6K or 7K rpm to get the cars sweet spot.
This is really the crux of it. I'm not going to hate on people for their personal choices for buying a car, but some people buy a C8Z06 so they can rev the FPC at Cars and Coffee or during a Vette run...the reality after the first couple of times most people that hear it lose interest. Per the C7Z lawsuit, GM claimed that it was less than 5% of owners who experienced overheating issues, because less than 5% were actually tracking their cars to get to the point where it was actually a problem. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably only 1-2% of C8Z owners actually track their cars, so the rest just want to say they have a Z06 and rev it for people so they can hear the FPC.

The other reality is that if somebody is driving over 100mph in public.... racing, I honestly hope they go to jail. As if they hit a family member of mine and hurt them, I might end up going to jail. Look what that A Hole Raider WR did in Vegas in his C8 driving ridiculously fast in public...killing that lady and her dog. That could happen to anybody really. Now 0-60 in public or even 0-85 getting on freeway when traffic is going the same rate (at times) not a big deal. When I drove to Texas once, the posted speed limit was 85mph, 100mph is only 15mph over lol. But I wasn't racing anybody just had the cruise control set to 90mph for 100 miles between towns along the way.

Also if you are on a road course that is short, the top speed on the straights doesn't get much faster than 120mph, it is more about braking and corner exit speed that determines time.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 04-07-2024 at 01:11 PM.
rackemup (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Braking was how many seconds of the 32 second run? It only takes 10 (1/4 mile) for the E-Ray for the car to have a slower acceleration I thought as bad this is basically like back to back 1/4 mile runs, but the test I’d really like to see is like the one done with Porsche Turbo launch control flogging it over and over as that would show if there’s much of a drop in power. I’m curious your thoughts on why they only ran 2.8 0-60 in good conditions?
Yep, that 0 to 60 was slow, my 1st tries were 2.7 but I had some rear wheel spin. I only had 600 miles so no Lauch Control. Could be the surface?

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds U-Drag Eray vs 750S

Old 04-07-2024, 01:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I guess once you have owned a few Sport Bikes (like me) Hayabusa, GSXR's 1100, 750, going back 30 years now, the emotion of hanging on while twisting the throttle while pulling to 11500 rpms, trying to keep the front wheel down, or not keeping the front wheel down through a couple of gears is hard to match with any car. Imagine the emotions of those who pay for exotics cars only to be looking at taillights and hearing the sound of a V8 at 6500-6800 rpms, I wonder if you can still hear your own RPMs being behind another's exhaust? Of course, it could sound like a little 6 cylinder running a 9.9x 1/4 too, less noise more speed @1:14. Still tempted to buy a Turbo S at times....if I wasn't such a Vette fanatic.
https://youtu.be/5JZrH7KYd_A?si=0Tzkp6ci9rMeEqUu&t=71

This is really the crux of it. I'm not going to hate on people for their personal choices for buying a car, but some people buy a C8Z06 so they can rev the FPC at Cars and Coffee or during a Vette run...the reality after the first couple of times most people that hear it lose interest. Per the C7Z lawsuit, GM claimed that it was less than 5% of owners who experienced overheating issues, because less than 5% were actually tracking their cars to get to the point where it was actually a problem. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably only 1-2% of C8Z owners actually track their cars, so the rest just want to say they have a Z06 and rev it for people so they can hear the FPC.

The other reality is that if somebody is driving over 100mph in public.... racing, I honestly hope they go to jail. As if they hit a family member of mine and hurt them, I might end up going to jail. Look what that A Hole Raider WR did in Vegas in his C8 driving ridiculously fast in public...killing that lady and her dog. That could happen to anybody really. Now 0-60 in public or even 0-85 getting on freeway when traffic is going the same rate (at times) not a big deal. When I drove to Texas once, the posted speed limit was 85mph, 100mph is only 15mph over lol. But I wasn't racing anybody just had the cruise control set to 90mph for 100 miles between towns along the way.

Also if you are on a road course that is short, the top speed on the straights doesn't get much faster than 120mph, it is more about braking and corner exit speed that determines time.
I’d rather be in a lighter car personally as it’s going to handle better aka brake better and do less damage if I were to have a blow out and loose control of the vehicle. Heavy vehicles are dangerous in my opinion, especially fast ones that don’t take skill to operate or instill fear in the driver to respect it. How fast does a 1.5 ton Corvette have to be going to do as much damage as a vehicle twice it’s weight? The football player was drunk and driving faster than possible on most racetracks, definitely a small percentage of people who have that kind of disregard.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:34 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Yep, that 0 to 60 was slow, my 1st tries were 2.7 but I had some rear wheel spin. I only had 600 miles so no Lauch Control. Could be the surface?
If they hadn’t have run a 10.5 1/4 then maybe, but if you believe the car is capable of a 2.1 then it should be able to go 9s given the delta in 0-60 and that isn’t happening at that low of a trap speed.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:05 PM
rackemup
Racer

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
https://youtu.be/5JZrH7KYd_A?si=0Tzkp6ci9rMeEqUu&t=71

On board and in full agreement with every word of this.

Quick Reply: Edmunds U-Drag Eray vs 750S