Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Why Put A lingenfelter On An ERay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:07 AM
ERay2024
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Why Put A lingenfelter On An ERay?

I think I know EXACTLY why...

Steven allowed Paragon to take his ERay.. and do some mods, and Dyno his ERay. Thank You!!!

Now add the Lingenfelter supercharger..

But, why... What is the goal?

I think his goal is to have the FASTEST Vette (0-60) for a substantially less cost, than any HYPERCAR. My guess .. less than 2.1 sec 0-60. What other HYPERCAR can do this? What other production car (slightly modified) can do this?

Lingenfelter - $20-$30k (could be more) + $170k - C8 vette = $200k LOL

I Love the idea.

What do you guys think?
The following 5 users liked this post by ERay2024:
3LZR21U (03-21-2024), CDNZR (04-02-2024), John B (03-23-2024), Movie Muscle (04-01-2024), plake (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:02 AM
Karch22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see in the car world the old "mine is bigger than yours" attitude, no matter what type of car show I have attended. Lingenfelter literally was down the road from me before they moved to Michigan, and I have seen some cool stuff come out of their shop.
But, I guess if you have the money why not, but it will never be a Ferrari/Lambo/Bentley despite higher/quicker numbers.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:17 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,642 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

from a technical aspect im curious to see how the electric motors are going to cooperate with the LT2 if you start modding it. Still early in the game so maybe... Does the electric drive unit have a seperate control module and the LT2 share the same ECU as the Stingray? If so it may be entirely possible. But if those two modules talk to eachother im guessing they have some checksums that wont line up when you start throwing the sauce at the ICE side... Hopefully im wrong though. The DCT remains the number one hold up with all of these cars and making big power... hopefully the aftermarket catches up.

Last edited by StayinStock; 03-21-2024 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
foundvettelifeisgood (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 914 Likes on 599 Posts

If the attempt didn't happen in the first month they were in customer hands, I would be disappointed.

Boosted LT2's are already a known quantity. It is completely natural to try and adapt that to work with hybrid drive. It will just underscore once and for all that hybrid AWD is probably the future, and companies and consumers had better get on board with the idea.

And no, nobody cares about badge prestige for something like this. The point is how close to 1.7s you can get a Corvette to the Rimac Nevera's acceleration--at less than 1/10th of the price.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:09 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,210 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by StayinStock
... Does the electric drive unit have a seperate control module and the LT2 share the same ECU as the Stingray? If so it may be entirely possible...
I'm hoping this is the case, and would make sense. Design the electric motor/battery system to be stand-alone so it could be added to either Stingray (thus Eray) or ZR1 powertrain (thus Zora), or even future C9 variants. In which case it really shouldn't care how much HP the LT2 powertrain is putting on in the Eray. If it works, I might seriously consider giving up my Z06 for a supercharged or TT Eray.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanZR1:
ERay2024 (04-01-2024), StayinStock (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 PM
Jc93Octane
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I'm hoping this is the case, and would make sense. Design the electric motor/battery system to be stand-alone so it could be added to either Stingray (thus Eray) or ZR1 powertrain (thus Zora), or even future C9 variants. In which case it really shouldn't care how much HP the LT2 powertrain is putting on in the Eray. If it works, I might seriously consider giving up my Z06 for a supercharged or TT Eray.
I've been saying it for a while now ... Assuming there is another C8 variant to come with the electric FWD, when these cars start to get modded more frequently and easily, the AWD versions are going to be the street kings.

I was really hoping the ZR1 would be the eray with about twice the output from the battery and the Z06 engine.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jc93Octane:
ERay2024 (03-21-2024), EvanZR1 (03-21-2024), Movie Muscle (04-01-2024), msm859 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:05 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,740 Likes on 788 Posts

Also keep in mind, the harder the E-Ray accelerates off the line, the more weight (load) that's transferred off of the front tires;

smithers (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:06 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ERay2024
I think I know EXACTLY why...

Steven allowed Paragon to take his ERay.. and do some mods, and Dyno his ERay. Thank You!!!

Now add the Lingenfelter supercharger..

But, why... What is the goal?

I think his goal is to have the FASTEST Vette (0-60) for a substantially less cost, than any HYPERCAR. My guess .. less than 2.1 sec 0-60. What other HYPERCAR can do this? What other production car (slightly modified) can do this?

Lingenfelter - $20-$30k (could be more) + $170k - C8 vette = $200k LOL

I Love the idea.

What do you guys think?
I was the first C5 owner with a D1 Procharger installed, TTi kit, and PTK Twin Turbo. It's good when other people go first. Imagine all that will be learned from the R&D taking place. Can't wait to see the results.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shinobi'sZ:
ERay2024 (03-23-2024), jpmotorsport (03-29-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 06:43 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

I think a supercharged E Ray may be the most exciting iteration of the C8. I am glad to see the development started and I hope there aren't significant electronic hurdles that make it impossible. The E Ray is a very cool car stock, but 500hp out of the ICE isn't a ton these days, and lots of people want that high speed acceleration.
Ricketts (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 09:00 AM
Ricketts
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 165 Posts

Because fun!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricketts:
ERay2024 (03-23-2024), Movie Muscle (04-01-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:57 AM
comecorrect
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I want one!
Old 03-22-2024, 08:03 PM
PuffC8
Pro

Received 589 Likes on 298 Posts

This possibility was the ONLY reason I debated moving forward with my Z06 purchase. I was first for ERay at local dealership and had already talked with Jotech about twin turboing it, they seemed really interested on working with me to develop one of the first ERAY FI builds. Ultimately I went with the Z06. But I saw the potential from the beginning when Eray was first announced, then leading up to them being built when Stingray ECUs were unlocked. A TT Eray would be a monster but I dont regret my decision
Old 03-23-2024, 10:15 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StayinStock
from a technical aspect im curious to see how the electric motors are going to cooperate with the LT2 if you start modding it. Still early in the game so maybe... Does the electric drive unit have a seperate control module and the LT2 share the same ECU as the Stingray? If so it may be entirely possible. But if those two modules talk to eachother im guessing they have some checksums that wont line up when you start throwing the sauce at the ICE side... Hopefully im wrong though. The DCT remains the number one hold up with all of these cars and making big power... hopefully the aftermarket catches up.
The Gen 5 LTs operating system is based on Torque calculations as well as the previous speed density/airflow hybrid. The 2 drives are definitely married. If the tune numbers are correct they should work together. The front drive will be given a predicted tq value from the 6.2L & react accordingly. Without the tq calcs I dont see how it could unless you could custom tune the front drive. Even then IDK.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:36 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by John B
The Gen 5 LTs operating system is based on Torque calculations as well as the previous speed density/airflow hybrid. The 2 drives are definitely married. If the tune numbers are correct they should work together. The front drive will be given a predicted tq value from the 6.2L & react accordingly. Without the tq calcs I dont see how it could unless you could custom tune the front drive. Even then IDK.

Parallel hybrids like this also have some slack here and can absorb "some" torque variations here , they need to since ICE torque outputs vary differently than do electric motor torque outputs as temperature, altitude, and humidity changes. Usually, the driver's throttle input is sent to a pre-processor which decides how much percentage of the request is handled by rear torque, and how much is handled by front torque, then the rear/front controllers command the ICE and electric separately. If the actual rear wheel torque at WOT in this case is higher than expected - say with a supercharger - then the front motor will still pull without issues up to a point, and tuning the ICE will be a big benefit especially at part throttle. Everything has limits though; but I think it will work.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:43 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,054 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
I assume that is how it will work. But my concern is that the front motor can only put out so much torque, and its probably calibrated to use its max torque already. So I'm curious to see how something like a supercharged E-Ray, with an LT2 putting out way more than stock torque levels, will work with the AWD system. I'm not so sure that electric motor will be able to produce enough torque to react accordingly in a car with wildly more hp/tq than stock. I can see a possibility for things not really working as well together after some big power mods are done. Who knows though, we shall see.

I certainly wouldn't have been the first to take this leap haha but I'm glad someone did.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:35 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by smithers
I assume that is how it will work. But my concern is that the front motor can only put out so much torque, and its probably calibrated to use its max torque already. So I'm curious to see how something like a supercharged E-Ray, with an LT2 putting out way more than stock torque levels, will work with the AWD system. I'm not so sure that electric motor will be able to produce enough torque to react accordingly in a car with wildly more hp/tq than stock.
You're thinking about the case where, say at WOT just for example, the electric motor is commanded to produce full torque, maybe 200 ft-lb, and the stock LT2 is commanded to produce its full 465 ft-lb; but since there's a supercharger there, the LT2 is actually delivering way more than stock, say 600 ft-lb for example. Will the supercharged LT2 "push" against the electric motor or somehow outrun it? Not normally, "normally" being if GM has used a standard "good" control system for the motor. Most permanent magnet motors in hybrids like this use a motor rotor position sensor, which allows the inverter to apply the correct phasing of currents relative to the rotor, to generate the correct torque. In the event the ICE "pushes" the electric motor, the motor's rotor will advance faster than usual, the position sensor will feed this back to the inverter, and the inverter will adjust the current phasing to maintain the motor's torque, which keeps it "pulling" the ICE. Of course these systems have limits; I'm interested to see how the launch control works in this case, when the supercharged ICE transfers a good part of the weight off of front wheels, and there are part throttle / regen cases too.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:17 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,054 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
You're thinking about the case where, say at WOT just for example, the electric motor is commanded to produce full torque, maybe 200 ft-lb, and the stock LT2 is commanded to produce its full 465 ft-lb; but since there's a supercharger there, the LT2 is actually delivering way more than stock, say 600 ft-lb for example. Will the supercharged LT2 "push" against the electric motor or somehow outrun it? Not normally, "normally" being if GM has used a standard "good" control system for the motor. Most permanent magnet motors in hybrids like this use a motor rotor position sensor, which allows the inverter to apply the correct phasing of currents relative to the rotor, to generate the correct torque. In the event the ICE "pushes" the electric motor, the motor's rotor will advance faster than usual, the position sensor will feed this back to the inverter, and the inverter will adjust the current phasing to maintain the motor's torque, which keeps it "pulling" the ICE. Of course these systems have limits; I'm interested to see how the launch control works in this case, when the supercharged ICE transfers a good part of the weight off of front wheels, and there are part throttle / regen cases too.
No, I'm thinking more in terms of handling and how it can impact the dynamics of the car. If the engine is putting out way more torque than stock, the tuning or just the limitations of the front motor may not be able to produce enough torque to keep things working together as they did when stock. So it could create some "interesting" handling situations. It's all designed to play nice together in stock form, but if things are modded in ways other parts can't work as well with, it can make things a little odd.

I am also interested in a big power LT2 causing weight to shift off of the front end on a hard launch. I'm sure the front end has its own traction control so wheel spin won't be the issue, but I could see it making the AWD less effective for launching as one adds more and more power to the engine. Curious to see how that goes.

Just kind of random thoughts... I really hope people do some detailed data logging about this sort of stuff. Hopefully the car outputs the needed data to the OBD2 port to really do some good data logging.

Last edited by smithers; 03-23-2024 at 05:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Put A lingenfelter On An ERay?

Old 03-23-2024, 05:48 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by smithers
No, I'm thinking more in terms of handling and how it can impact the dynamics of the car. If the engine is putting out way more torque than stock, the tuning or just the limitations of the front motor may not be able to produce enough torque to keep things working together as they did when stock. So it could create some "interesting" handling situations. It's all designed to play nice together in stock form, but if things are modded in ways other parts can't work as well with, it can make things a little odd.
For sure, handling dynamics at the limit can easily change. Will definitely be able to break the rear loose with less throttle, question is how quickly can the factory system respond including stability and the front torque vectoring (brake vectoring). Will the car still be as easy to drift? In the rain? I don't know where the limit will be found here.
smithers (03-23-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:45 AM
Rollie66
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boost curve.

So. The issue with the electric assist is that it fades after a certain mph and goes away completely. To me the best use for a twin turbo setup would be to have the boost start very low and increase in an inverse proportion to the decline of the electric assist. That way we have a car that will not decline at the top end.
smithers (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 10:52 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,210 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Rollie66
So. The issue with the electric assist is that it fades after a certain mph and goes away completely. To me the best use for a twin turbo setup would be to have the boost start very low and increase in an inverse proportion to the decline of the electric assist. That way we have a car that will not decline at the top end.
I agree, seems like boost by gear would be the perfect TT setup for the Eray. Maybe one 1-2psi in 1st, then ramp it up until your at max boost in 4th?
smithers (04-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Why Put A lingenfelter On An ERay?