C8 ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

So if the battery is recharged during coasting and braking...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 07:42 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Default So if the battery is recharged during coasting and braking...

What happens if you put it on cruise control on the interstate for an extended period of time? Will the alternator charge the battery, or will it run out of juice?
The following users liked this post:
DREAMERAK (02-03-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Midlifegoals
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

Preface- I have no idea.

That said, I’ve read a fair bit and from what I understand the car can recharge while it’s coasting. I would imagine while in Cruise Control on the highway, it would find ways to charge the battery. My understanding is also that the battery would be used lightly while in Cruise Control, so it may not take much charging to get it back to “full”.

Just an assumption based on reading…not sure.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:38 AM
gunkk
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

It will charge until it's full then stop charging, like all other modern battery charging systems.
The following 3 users liked this post by gunkk:
hamta (01-18-2023), kevinprimetime (01-19-2023), SoonerSpeedFreak (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:02 AM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

Assuming the reports are true, one thing I don't like about it is why such a small battery, it seems the battery will be depleted after 3 or 4 miles but most importantly it looks it will be cycling often.
Meaning it could be subjected to way too many charge/discharge cycles while driving normally, batteries degrade quickly this way. The NSX forums claim the cost to replace one is around $5K to 8K, which is not bad.
Of course, just a guess.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:25 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I was really surprised how small it was.

I looked at the 296 GTB and it's battery is 7.2kw and I even thought that was small.

The E-ray is 1.1kw.

Seems like a very high duty cycle for charging. The hybrid setup has zero to do with efficiency and all to do with performance so if they have something that can cycle that fast, and uses the engine to charge it then it doesn't' sound bad.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:42 AM
Latterlon
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 155 Posts

It has a 1.9kWh battery pack. I too was surprised at the small size, and it only having one motor.
msm859 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:11 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,565 Likes on 532 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tadge pulls up in an FPC Twisted Metal ice cream truck and personally charges the vehicle so it can reach its full 655 HP again.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:52 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Latterlon
It has a 1.9kWh battery pack. I too was surprised at the small size, and it only having one motor.
That is what I thought but now most of the sites are saying 1.1.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:05 PM
JVi
Drifting

Received 968 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
That is what I thought but now most of the sites are saying 1.1.
Gossip sites.
The GM press release says: "a 1.9 kWh battery pack"
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...0117-eray.html

Old 01-18-2023, 01:11 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,203 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JKU007FL
Assuming the reports are true, one thing I don't like about it is why such a small battery, it seems the battery will be depleted after 3 or 4 miles but most importantly it looks it will be cycling often.
Meaning it could be subjected to way too many charge/discharge cycles while driving normally, batteries degrade quickly this way. The NSX forums claim the cost to replace one is around $5K to 8K, which is not bad.
Of course, just a guess.
Statements from GM are that the E-Ray battery is not from the Ultium line, but instead, is a one-off specifically designed to be constantly fully drained/recharged. Who knows what that actually means yet, but it almost makes me think the "battery" is more of a supercapacitor system. Lambo is doing this on their new Sian, which granted is a $3M hypercar, but GM has a long history of EV development to draw from, so maybe they've jumped the field here for a performance hybrid.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:33 PM
JVi
Drifting

Received 968 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Statements from GM are that the E-Ray battery is not from the Ultium line, but instead, is a one-off specifically designed to be constantly fully drained/recharged. Who knows what that actually means yet, but it almost makes me think the "battery" is more of a supercapacitor system. Lambo is doing this on their new Sian, which granted is a $3M hypercar, but GM has a long history of EV development to draw from, so maybe they've jumped the field here for a performance hybrid.
"LG makes the battery cells which are packaged and assembled at GM’s Brownstown, Michigan battery plant. While the Ultium cells that are used in GM’s EVs are designed for large storage and long-range, the E-Ray’s battery is small and optimized for in-and-out power flow. "

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/2...st-vette-ever/

Old 01-18-2023, 07:26 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 102 Posts

GM clearly stated the EV is for performance, not range.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by gunkk
It will charge until it's full then stop charging, like all other modern battery charging systems.
Originally Posted by JKU007FL
Originally Posted by camaro2021
GM clearly stated the EV is for performance, not range.
Was an AP article in our town paper that clearly said what many are missing. Unlike most hybrids the E-Ray will not increase mpg! In the EPA City Test is will increase mpg slightly. In the EPA Highway test it's less than a standard C8 because of the added weight!

The 1.9 kWh battery is exactly what the leaked in the November 2019 article along with the tire sizes, where the battery, inverter etc would be located. Pretty accurate just a large hp motor! Think of it as a F1 race car hybrid That battery weighs ~40 lbs and delivers ~250 hp. Short bursts of electric power not using gasoline. So you get 160 hp with otherwise waste braking energy!

If you're not going to use 650 hp enough, having fun (or wanting to drive in snow,) it's a waste of money. If you thinking just cruising and being "green" it's not. It also said in Stealth Mode you get only 2 miles at 45 mph! Good only if not wanting to wake the neighbors in the morning. It's NOT a Prius!

Frankly exactly what I wanted! I'll order the Performance option with summer tires, different suspension and a small side skirts I hope big enough to avoid rocks thrown by the front tires marking the rockers.
Kodiak Bear (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:44 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,931 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Most don't. They leave some battery capacity available for regenerative braking.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:30 AM
Peppino Esposito
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 52 Posts

this is very relevant to my post today. What happens if you're climbing a long hill that requires awd? There would be no opportunity for regen during coasting! Is your car suddenly 2wd once the battery dies? I can't see how not! Gm is claiming there is NO connection between the traditional drivetrain and the electric front drive.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:14 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Peppino Esposito
this is very relevant to my post today. What happens if you're climbing a long hill that requires awd? There would be no opportunity for regen during coasting! Is your car suddenly 2wd once the battery dies? I can't see how not! Gm is claiming there is NO connection between the traditional drivetrain and the electric front drive.
They could easily have it set up to pull power under normal driving if the battery gets too low. It would essentially be like having the front brakes mildly engaged. The downside of course, is that while the electric motors are capturing energy they can't be used for propulsion. However, given their electronic nature, they could switch back and forth very quickly. There's also the potential as others have said that the battery pack might actually be larger than they are stating and that the advertised size is what's presented as available. On every hybrid & EV so far, GM has built in an undisclosed amount of extra capacity that is reserved for operations after the advertised capacity hits zero.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Peppino Esposito
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
They could easily have it set up to pull power under normal driving if the battery gets too low. It would essentially be like having the front brakes mildly engaged. The downside of course, is that while the electric motors are capturing energy they can't be used for propulsion. However, given their electronic nature, they could switch back and forth very quickly. There's also the potential as others have said that the battery pack might actually be larger than they are stating and that the advertised size is what's presented as available. On every hybrid & EV so far, GM has built in an undisclosed amount of extra capacity that is reserved for operations after the advertised capacity hits zero.
YEAH...going up hill in snow....exactly like i said. I think this is a major downfall of these types of systems.

Get notified of new replies

To So if the battery is recharged during coasting and braking...

Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

From what has been posted sounds like it charges when braking, coasting and by the alternator. In fact in a post a few weeks ago it said it was only by alternator. Probably wrong but have to believe as everything else in the car a computer and many algorithms it picks what’s needed
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Kodiak Bear (01-19-2023), Peppino Esposito (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 12:52 PM
Peppino Esposito
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
From what has been posted sounds like it charges when braking, coasting and by the alternator. In fact in a post a few weeks ago it said it was only by alternator. Probably wrong but have to believe as everything else in the car a computer and many algorithms it picks what’s needed
I dont think there is any way an alternator running off of the engine can keep up with a 160 hp electric motor going up a ten mile long hill in snow. Is there???
Old 01-19-2023, 02:10 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

I dont think there is any way an alternator running off of the engine can keep up with a 160 hp electric motor going up a ten mile long hill in snow. Is there???
We don't know yet for sure exactly what they are doing. Is it a 48V electrical system? If so, then yes, it could certainly provide enough to recharge a 1.9kWh battery. What we do know from one of the videos, is that in Charge+ mode it went from depleted to full in just a few minutes.

Quick Reply: So if the battery is recharged during coasting and braking...