C8 ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

So who is on an e-Ray list and now dropping off because of the price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 09:52 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,488 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by 3DeadPancreases
I am out for a few reasons.
--Not a Plug in.
--Battery is way too small.
--CCBs standard....WTAF? That would have dropped almost $10k right there.
--At LEAST $15k over what I am willing to shell out because I want the level 3 interior.

Not mad at GM, they can charge whatever they think folks will pay. More power to them.
The reasons you are are out are the same reasons that I am *in*.
1) I only want the battery for extra boost, not as the main source of propulsion, so I want a light weight motor and battery
2) I want a less weight battery that has JUST ENOUGH stored energy to produce the extra performance when it is requested
3) CCB's are important because this car uses brake biasing to act like a limited slip diff. The ceramics will handle the heat better, and also they reduce weight which helps to offset the bricks of precious metals sitting in the middle
4) I never get 3LT trim, 2LT works perfectly fine for me. I also don't want a HTC (adds complexity, adds weight, can't see engine bay very well).

What I haven't seen anyone ask yet is whether the coupe top panels are interchangeable between the C8 and the ERay. The exterior/body does have some changes and is wider now.
I think/hope they left the top alone and the old tops will be a direct fit because I want to keep my transparent roof from my C8 when I move to the ERay.
The following 3 users liked this post by dohabandit:
c6txvette (02-26-2023), kevinprimetime (01-31-2023), Santafe2 (02-09-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 10:38 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by dohabandit
The reasons you are are out are the same reasons that I am *in*.
1) I only want the battery for extra boost, not as the main source of propulsion, so I want a light weight motor and battery
2) I want a less weight battery that has JUST ENOUGH stored energy to produce the extra performance when it is requested
3) CCB's are important because this car uses brake biasing to act like a limited slip diff. The ceramics will handle the heat better, and also they reduce weight which helps to offset the bricks of precious metals sitting in the middle
4) I never get 3LT trim, 2LT works perfectly fine for me. I also don't want a HTC (adds complexity, adds weight, can't see engine bay very well).

What I haven't seen anyone ask yet is whether the coupe top panels are interchangeable between the C8 and the ERay. The exterior/body does have some changes and is wider now.
I think/hope they left the top alone and the old tops will be a direct fit because I want to keep my transparent roof from my C8 when I move to the ERay.
And those reasons are why I am on the fence. I wanted a PHEV with a larger battery. I use my C8 as a daily driver. 3.6 miles to my office and typically less than 20 miles per day. I want to reduce my carbon footprint. Interestingly though this past week I have been resetting my trip odometer and watching in real time my mpg and usage. If I start off in Stealth mode, most days I could actually make it to my office on EV power only. At a minimum I should be able to go the 1.3 miles through the residential area. This should give me a real world significant increase in average mpg. The Corvette gets good mileage on freeways - it is the 0-30 that hurts. I put a deposit down at a top 5 dealer in April 2021 so I am under 40 on their list. At this point I will probably pull the trigger - although since my C8 is the 3LT I will have to stay the same - want the red stitching.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:44 PM
StaceySpears
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
And those reasons are why I am on the fence. I wanted a PHEV with a larger battery. I use my C8 as a daily driver. .
I have a PHEV (RAV4 Prime) that is my daily driver and I want the E-Ray for weekend fun. I have added almost 400 lbs to my R4P with butyl, after market suspension, high end audio, etc... I even had it corner balanced as part of the new suspension. It corners way better than an SUV every should! I still manage to get ~40 miles on a full charge after all of those changes.

What I really like is that I have been able to go 525 miles on 12 gallons in the summer when driving between WA and CA. In the winter, that same drive is closer to 400 miles.

I have managed to go a year and a half with 100% free charging. I started that out of spite as I got tired of the ICE vs. EV arguments about fuel vs. AC cost. There are two free Volta charges across the street from where I live and I go early in the morning or late at night when the shopping center is empty. They auto stop after 2.5 hours and that is what it takes to charge. I do have to go through a tank of fuel every few months to keep the system clean. I use ethanol-free gas to help extend that, which seems to offer improved gas mileage.
The following 2 users liked this post by StaceySpears:
JerriVette (02-09-2023), msm859 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 10:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

C8 z51 fe4 1LT is 74 grand

c8 Eray 1LZ is 104 grand.

price differential if comparing apples to apples is 30 grand

for 30 grand you get awd, 655 Hp 595 tq, (compared to 495 Hp and 470tq)
wide body wider wheels and tires

20 grand for warranties 160 Hp /125 tq increase is reasonable in my mind.

10 grand for wider fenders wheels and tires as well as carbon ceramic rotors seems like a smart move

The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
kevinprimetime (02-09-2023), Raj1981 (02-13-2023), RKTKTV (02-14-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Tyztoy1
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

All I know is I want one and when I get the CALL i'm all in....
I hope everyone ahead of me drops out....
The following 3 users liked this post by Tyztoy1:
c6txvette (02-26-2023), JerriVette (02-09-2023), Raj1981 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:00 PM
Santafe2
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dohabandit

You've made some great points in your post. I would add that if one wants to shed some of that extra 300 lbs. of weight over the standard C8 coupe, the most effective area to do that is unsprung rotational weight, that is wheels, tires and brakes. The combination of the CCBs and carbon fiber wheels will subtract more than 18 lbs. at each corner or 72 lbs. total. The electric motor, (and the engine), will be much more responsive with this weight removed as will braking and cornering under track conditions. Also running the Michelin 4S instead of the Pilot Sport All Season subtracts about 1 lb. per tire. In addition to this, the ZER package adds MRC to further manage the suspension. All of this is helpful when tracking a car at a course like VIR where you're riding the curbs at high speed. Minimizing the mass your suspension must manage will really help keep you out of the tires. The lighter the rotational mass the quicker your wheel regains grip. So, faster acceleration, more stable cornering and less distance stopping.

What is somewhat controversial is the conversion rate. That is, what is the value of removing 1lb. of unsprung rotational weight vs. sprung weight? I've heard everything from 5X to 20X. I know it's much better than 1:1 but I'll leave it up to the engineers and physicists to make that call.
The following 2 users liked this post by Santafe2:
dohabandit (02-11-2023), JerriVette (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:32 PM
426rodder
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, Stacey, I got one of the first Rav4 Primes and I, too, am impressed. My first 2700 miles I used 4.7 gal just to keep the gas fresh. Just got back from 14K miles in Alaska, Canada and the US on some horrible roads, ruts, mud, yuk and it performed flawlessly. So naturally the Eray seems to be a "best of both worlds" tech. I am #1 at a local dealer. I sold a Mclaren to be ready. Isn't it nuts we worry about a few MPG in our Rav and don't care about the toys. Stay safe, that Rav will go off road quite well if you avoid ground clearance issues. I wonder about the Eray?
The following 2 users liked this post by 426rodder:
JerriVette (02-09-2023), StaceySpears (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:39 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by StaceySpears
I have managed to go a year and a half with 100% free charging. I started that out of spite as I got tired of the ICE vs. EV arguments about fuel vs. AC cost. There are two free Volta charges across the street from where I live and I go early in the morning or late at night when the shopping center is empty. They auto stop after 2.5 hours and that is what it takes to charge.
The way you describe your free charging just means someone else is paying for it. Ultimately, in the end, it’s the taxpayers, the utility account holders or someone else.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:06 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
They need to prove in the real world it can drive in the snow in the Midwest first. Give me a test car for a year and I’ll prove it to be BS or true.
All Corvettes can be used in the winter with the right tires. Eray will be better.

I've driven C4s & 5s through 8+in of unplowed snow. Won ice races with them. I just backed a 67 up our icey hill.
Fat summer performance tires that don't work.
The following 2 users liked this post by John B:
JerriVette (02-09-2023), Jridden (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Id like to buy am htc next time around and figured for an extra 30 grand I might as well buy either a z06 or Eray.

you get all the extras of the z51 and mrc shocks plus the wider fenders and wheels and tires.

so if the Eray ordering time comes up before my z06 ordering Ill get the eray. If not Ill take the z06.

i love my 2020c8 z51 with mrc shocks as a targa. Having seen the htc roof down in person I truly admite the looks of that feature.

might as well add the wide body wide tires and wheels and get a kick out of at least 655 hp if Im buying a new vette since its available.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
Jridden (02-10-2023), Jxp6262 (02-12-2023), Santafe2 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 12:34 AM
Santafe2
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Id like to buy am htc next time around and figured for an extra 30 grand I might as well buy either a z06 or Eray.
you get all the extras of the z51 and mrc shocks plus the wider fenders and wheels and tires.
so if the Eray ordering time comes up before my z06 ordering Ill get the eray. If not Ill take the z06.
i love my 2020c8 z51 with mrc shocks as a targa. Having seen the htc roof down in person I truly admite the looks of that feature.
might as well add the wide body wide tires and wheels and get a kick out of at least 655 hp if Im buying a new vette since its available.
I agree. If you want the total supercar look, the HTC is the best with the top down it's the perfect GT design. And while I love the Carbon Flash Metallic paint I would not want the 70th AE package as the five spoke E-Ray wheels in black are beautiful and the 70th AE wheels look great but are the typical nightmare to clean perfectly. Ask me how I know.
The following 2 users liked this post by Santafe2:
JerriVette (02-10-2023), Jridden (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:46 PM
Red5 C8
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
So this whole wide body/ceramic disc/ electrified upgrade thing seems almost like a bargain… $40K ERAY premium over base.

$10k widebody… seems reasonable
$9k Ceramic Brakes… seems reasonable
$21000 for 160 Horsepower. About $131/HP… maybe a little pricey, but not everything is as cheap as buying HP for a big block Chevy.
It's funny that I got on the MM e Ray list before taking a serious look at the price. I now realize I can buy a Stingray (which I own) and another very decent car for the same price. Or for the same price, I could get a very nice Taycan.

The Stingray was a no-brainer in terms of price vs. performance. The eRay will require more analysis and cross-shopping before I pull the trigger. What will I really want/need two years from now and how much will alternatives cost? I love my Stingray so it may make more sense to buy something else rather than have two Corvettes sitting at home. I already have 4 cars and I barely drive any of them.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:56 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LADave
It's funny that I got on the MM e Ray list before taking a serious look at the price. I now realize I can buy a Stingray (which I own) and another very decent car for the same price. Or for the same price, I could get a very nice Taycan.

The Stingray was a no-brainer in terms of price vs. performance. The eRay will require more analysis and cross-shopping before I pull the trigger. What will I really want/need two years from now and how much will alternatives cost? I love my Stingray so it may make more sense to buy something else rather than have two Corvettes sitting at home. I already have 4 cars and I barely drive any of them.
I decided to no longer buy a C8 ZR1 because it will be just a more powerful lookalike C8. I have a C7, buying the C8 E-Ray, and will finish out my Corvette phase with a C9. I currently have 7 drivable cars similar to you; will finish up at 12 within 5 years.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:35 PM
Jridden
Burning Brakes

Received 608 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr DJ
I decided to no longer buy a C8 ZR1 because it will be just a more powerful lookalike C8. I have a C7, buying the C8 E-Ray, and will finish out my Corvette phase with a C9. I currently have 7 drivable cars similar to you; will finish up at 12 within 5 years.
LADave and MrDJ, the both of you have enviable problems. I salute you both. I will buy whichever car comes up first. Z06 or ERay. I think the Z06 will be the keeper but who knows what cars will be available in 2 years time. In the meantime I have a P car and a GTR that I can track / play around in. Depending on how the ERay drives I may elect to swap out the P car and keep the ERay. The Z06 will be a permacar. Then onto the C9....

Now how do I get on a list for a C9 Z06 and E Ray???
The following users liked this post:
Mr DJ (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:37 PM
StaceySpears
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jridden
LADave and MrDJ, the both of you have enviable problems. I salute you both. I will buy whichever car comes up first. Z06 or ERay. I think the Z06 will be the keeper but who knows what cars will be available in 2 years time. In the meantime I can P car and a GTR that I can track / play around in. Depending on how the ERay drives I may elect to swap out the P car and keep the ERay. Then onto the C9....

What about a Z06 Hybrid, wouldn't that be the real keeper? They can call it the ZE-Ray.
Jridden (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:48 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jridden
LADave and MrDJ, the both of you have enviable problems. I salute you both. I will buy whichever car comes up first. Z06 or ERay. I think the Z06 will be the keeper but who knows what cars will be available in 2 years time. In the meantime I have a P car and a GTR that I can track / play around in. Depending on how the ERay drives I may elect to swap out the P car and keep the ERay. The Z06 will be a permacar. Then onto the C9....

JRidden, contact "my" salesman, Joey Ryall at Criswell Corvette in Gaithersburg MD: jryall@criswellauto.com; 301.212.4434 or 301.509.2855... He's a real kool guy and the best thing of all, he'll communicate with you at anytime...

I have him in my Vlog when I signed up for the E-Ray in 2020. If you care to see it, I'll post it here; let me know...

Mr DJ...
Jridden (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

What about a Z06 Hybrid, wouldn't that be the real keeper? They can call it the ZE-Ray.
You have it backwards, Stacey...the E-Ray is the hybrid...IMO, that's the one to get as I am...

Get notified of new replies

To So who is on an e-Ray list and now dropping off because of the price?

Old 02-10-2023, 04:57 PM
StaceySpears
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr DJ
You have it backwards, Stacey...the E-Ray is the hybrid...IMO, that's the one to get as I am...
I am saying they will probably make a hybrid Z06 after the E-Ray and then a hybrid ZR1 after that. :-)

Last edited by StaceySpears; 02-10-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:35 PM
426rodder
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That's pretty much the anticipated Zora to really compete with ath Exotics at all levels ( well maybe not because it will probable not be a phev.)
Old 02-10-2023, 08:38 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,673 Likes on 4,335 Posts

That's kind of wha the Zora is supposed to be, except with twin-turbo as well.

Quick Reply: So who is on an e-Ray list and now dropping off because of the price?