Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

E-Rays at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 08:09 PM
BrakeFade
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn’t get too caught up in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times between the Eray & Z. AWD is going to get you out of the hole faster. Combine that with the increased torque out of the 6.2 and the electric motors in the front, I wouldn’t be surprised if it runs the 1/4 faster than the Z. The Z isn’t designed to be a quarter mile ground pounder. It’s a true elite track car.
The following 4 users liked this post by BrakeFade:
Lefty32 (07-23-2022), msm859 (07-21-2022), smoove7410 (07-25-2022), SoonerSpeedFreak (07-23-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:49 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakeFade
I wouldn’t get too caught up in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times between the Eray & Z. AWD is going to get you out of the hole faster. Combine that with the increased torque out of the 6.2 and the electric motors in the front, I wouldn’t be surprised if it runs the 1/4 faster than the Z. The Z isn’t designed to be a quarter mile ground pounder. It’s a true elite track car.
All the reasons why I prefer this car over the track focused Z06.
The following 5 users liked this post by GOLD72:
Av8ing (08-10-2022), BrakeFade (07-24-2022), JTBogus (08-08-2022), Schuee (08-09-2022), SoonerSpeedFreak (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 04:05 AM
kevinprimetime
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 179 Posts

I'll take a 0 to 60 in 2.5 sec and quarter mile around 10 seconds over the flat plane crank high pitch sound. Thats just me
The following 5 users liked this post by kevinprimetime:
Av8ing (08-10-2022), BrakeFade (07-25-2022), lostsoul (07-23-2022), Schuee (08-09-2022), SoonerSpeedFreak (08-20-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 12:24 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinprimetime
I'll take a 0 to 60 in 2.5 sec and quarter mile around 10 seconds over the flat plane crank high pitch sound. Thats just me

Yep same here. But I'm probably going to buy a C8Z and an ERay just for the people that bitch on this forum about the ERay. That way when the LT6 bespoke engine breaks...thus becoming the "bebroke", I can have my LT2/Hybrid ERay to drive around why the C8Z is at the dealership getting repairs. I'm not joking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shinobi'sZ:
kevinprimetime (07-24-2022), LukeyW (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:38 PM
lanza
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
People's bullshit on this forum is not an unconfirmed report of anything. A couple 50hp electric motors aren't taking .8-1 second off a 0-60 time. Let's rejoin the reality of physics.
Meh, I wouldn't be that surprised. The C8's 0-60 is traction limited, not power limited. The thing doesn't go above like 4000 RPM for the first .6 seconds while it finds traction. Watch a video of a Turbo S launching. There's no finding traction, it just goes like it's on rails.

Reality is that AWD 0-60 isn't comparable to RWD 0-60.
The following 2 users liked this post by lanza:
BrakeFade (07-24-2022), SoonerSpeedFreak (08-20-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:38 AM
BrakeFade
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MY04CE
While I wish the current round of pics from the Ring are in fact the E-Ray, they could also be the European spec Z06. Nothing that I have seen in the pics and videos confirms an E-Ray. Seems that everyone is hoping / guessing. Thoughts?
100% confirmed. There is a yellow sticker on the window that tells safety staff it has electric motors (high voltage).
The following 3 users liked this post by BrakeFade:
Jerray (07-24-2022), kevinprimetime (07-25-2022), LukeyW (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 07:47 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 602 Likes on 456 Posts

Performance should be compared or close to the Acura NSX. That car runs 10.70's around 130 1/4 mile. And the unforseen horsepower should match. Anything under 100 hp is nearly a waste except for the nice looking widebody.

The following users liked this post:
SoonerSpeedFreak (08-20-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:58 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 655 Likes on 351 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BrakeFade
100% confirmed. There is a yellow sticker on the window that tells safety staff it has electric motors (high voltage).
I certainly believe you but wouldn't 100% certainty require at least a photo?
LukeyW (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:37 PM
LukeyW
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BPHORSEGUY
I certainly believe you but wouldn't 100% certainty require at least a photo?
I think the "yellow stickers" are upper left on the rear window.
The following 2 users liked this post by LukeyW:
BrakeFade (07-25-2022), Jerray (07-25-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 01:30 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Very cool, but I'm sad that we will never hear Sabine's opinion on the E-ray.
She wasn't afraid to say what she thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by wwiiavfan:
larryfdx (07-26-2022), RedLS6 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 06:37 PM
LukeyW
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

At Nurburgring

Sounds like an E-Ray mule or other prototype that uses the CPC engine. Markings suggest they're the same test mules as the ones in July. They're really cooking around corners.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:37 AM
Corvettemac
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
People's bullshit on this forum is not an unconfirmed report of anything. A couple 50hp electric motors aren't taking .8-1 second off a 0-60 time. Let's rejoin the reality of physics.
The physics are the electric motors are that torque accelerates cars from a stop , the HP gives them the speed . The high torque electric motors although only 50 hp each = 100 hp combined additional with the added benefit of doubling your torque out put to 4 wheels instead of 2 .

The C8 Z06 is severely torque limited at only 470 ft lbs !
Old 08-17-2022, 10:22 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettemac
The physics are the electric motors are that torque accelerates cars from a stop , the HP gives them the speed . The high torque electric motors although only 50 hp each = 100 hp combined additional with the added benefit of doubling your torque out put to 4 wheels instead of 2 .

The C8 Z06 is severely torque limited at only 470 ft lbs !
Most electric motors only have a final drive gear reduction. Gas motors use a multi-speed transmission and a final drive. Torque at the wheels per unit of time is what matters. Amazingly that is HP. You can have a million pound feet of torque at the wheels, but if it only has the HP to go from 0 RPM to 1 RPM in 1 sec, you will not have a fast accelerating car. Electric motor torque is limited by current. Power in an electric motor is measured in watts. A watt is 1 amp x 1 volt. a 100 HP electric motor is about 74600 watts. to produce 100 hp at 1 RPM and running on a 400v system would need about 186.5 Amps. The wires in a motor are of a certain size and can only flow so much current before they have heat and other problems. If the motor won't support 186.5 amps it won't support 100 HP at 1 RPM. THe controller is the devices they determines the voltage and current that goes to the motor, it is designed to only allow a maximum current and voltage, and wattage to flow. People say that electric motors produce maximum torque at 0 RPM. Theoretically yes, practically no. Let's go back to the example above. If the 74600 watt motor is at 0 RPM, it will require infinite current to produce 100 HP. A battery will not supply infinite current, the controller won't allow it, and the wires won't support it. This is easily seen in a Tesla dyno run.

Electric cars still have to live in the physical world and live within the laws of physics.

Ramv (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:50 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Most electric motors only have a final drive gear reduction. Gas motors use a multi-speed transmission and a final drive. Torque at the wheels per unit of time is what matters. Amazingly that is HP. You can have a million pound feet of torque at the wheels, but if it only has the HP to go from 0 RPM to 1 RPM in 1 sec, you will not have a fast accelerating car. Electric motor torque is limited by current. Power in an electric motor is measured in watts. A watt is 1 amp x 1 volt. a 100 HP electric motor is about 74600 watts. to produce 100 hp at 1 RPM and running on a 400v system would need about 186.5 Amps. The wires in a motor are of a certain size and can only flow so much current before they have heat and other problems. If the motor won't support 186.5 amps it won't support 100 HP at 1 RPM. THe controller is the devices they determines the voltage and current that goes to the motor, it is designed to only allow a maximum current and voltage, and wattage to flow. People say that electric motors produce maximum torque at 0 RPM. Theoretically yes, practically no. Let's go back to the example above. If the 74600 watt motor is at 0 RPM, it will require infinite current to produce 100 HP. A battery will not supply infinite current, the controller won't allow it, and the wires won't support it. This is easily seen in a Tesla dyno run.

Electric cars still have to live in the physical world and live within the laws of physics.
I am not sure of your point? I suspect your math is correct, but getting a 100 hp out of an electric motor in the physical world should be pretty easy. The Tesla S Plaid with 3 motors has over 1000 hp. The new Cadillac Lyriq AWD is suppose to have 500 hp - 160 hp in the front motor. The 2 motors in my Tesla X have over 250 hp each. GM is rumored to have an Ultium 83 hp electric motor. Seems to me 2 of those up front in the ERay should be the minimum.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:44 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

A Tesla Plaid only makes ~20 wheel horsepower at 1mph; yet it delivers stupendous acceleration at 1mph due to its massive torque at near-zero rpm. It's a bit non-intuitive, but the math works out that at very low speeds, a very small percentage of rated power is all that is developed in concert with full torque, and full acceleration. The reason for the high torque at low rpm is that the inverter is able to deliver rated current at low rpm; the reason for low power at low rpm is that the inverter modulates down the available voltage to the motor.

Last edited by RedLS6; 08-17-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:00 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by msm859
I am not sure of your point? I suspect your math is correct, but getting a 100 hp out of an electric motor in the physical world should be pretty easy. The Tesla S Plaid with 3 motors has over 1000 hp. The new Cadillac Lyriq AWD is suppose to have 500 hp - 160 hp in the front motor. The 2 motors in my Tesla X have over 250 hp each. GM is rumored to have an Ultium 83 hp electric motor. Seems to me 2 of those up front in the ERay should be the minimum.
The point is electric car fan”s ideas about how electrics motors work in the real world are wrong. Tesla don’t make full torque at zero RPM or even 1 RPM. It is clearly shown in a Tesla dyno. Because they are generally direct drive (Tesla is) with no clutch they don’t function in the same way as a gas car.

Also the motors alone don’t determine the HP electric cars make. The batteries and controller does too. Why do you think Teslas make less HP at half capacity. Whereas a gas car will make the same power with half a tank of fuel.

Oh and motor torque alone does not determine acceleration. Otherwise diesel trucks would out accelerate Corvettes, and they don’t.

It is very clear many posters don’t understand basic physics, and believe many myths.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:21 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

The point is electric car fan”s ideas about how electrics motors work in the real world are wrong. Tesla don’t make full torque at zero RPM or even 1 RPM.

'Course they can, or pretty dang close, not counting launch control limiting or other nonidealities. I'm a big mechanical ICE fan but in my spare time, I make my living over on the (very very low voltage) Dark Side .

Look up Vector Control, or Field Oriented control. Also check out the Plaid dyno from Tesla themselves, it shows the linear power region and the constant torque region.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/evolution...rol-waves-bits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_control_(motor)

The problem with many of the online dyno tests, is the dyno itself. Inertial or eddy-current dynos are not designed to be able to register steady state torque at 0 rpm, and they typically struggle to accurately read the very steep torque ramp. Also, it takes a small amount of time for current to fully build up in the motor inductance. Many dyno tests start at something other than zero rpm and unfortunately catch these ramp effects. A little more than three decades ago, for part of one of my grad degrees I needed to build an electric motor dyno that measured torque at a locked zero rpm, along with fast transients everywhere else in the rpm range, and it worked by directly measuring motor current.
msm859 (08-18-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To E-Rays at the Nurburgring

Old 08-18-2022, 10:52 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

The point is electric car fan”s ideas about how electrics motors work in the real world are wrong. Tesla don’t make full torque at zero RPM or even 1 RPM. It is clearly shown in a Tesla dyno. Because they are generally direct drive (Tesla is) with no clutch they don’t function in the same way as a gas car.

Also the motors alone don’t determine the HP electric cars make. The batteries and controller does too. Why do you think Teslas make less HP at half capacity. Whereas a gas car will make the same power with half a tank of fuel.

Oh and motor torque alone does not determine acceleration. Otherwise diesel trucks would out accelerate Corvettes, and they don’t.

It is very clear many posters don’t understand basic physics, and believe many myths.
Again, I do not get the point. It sounds like you are making a hyper technical esoteric argument. How many people know exactly all the nuances of an ICE? I can tell you my Tesla has "instant" torque and very smooth linear power. We have All seen the videos of the Tesla S Plaid. Why does it accelerate so quickly? Why does Tesla say it has over "1000 hp? Is that a myth? What is the hp? I do understand that power in an EV can drop off at something less than full charge. That also tells me battery size matters. That is why for the ERay I would like to see a 10 kWh + battery size vs those who are not in favor of any electrification of the Corvette want something less than 2 kWh. So my real technical question would be, what would be the added benefits of using a 10 kWh battery vs a 2 kWh battery in the ERay? I know the downside - weight (costs is de minimis). Wouldn't the larger battery be able to allow the electric motor to produce more hp? And for a longer time?
Old 08-18-2022, 11:05 AM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

Looking good. The car seems very planted no stepping out from the back side exiting a corner. Maybe they are not really pushing it that hard in the vids? Up to the engineers to dail in the awd/vectoring.
If the price is reasonable, and the track performance is close to the Z06, all those Stingray buyers will put there $ on the Hybrid instead imo. The line will be as long or even longer for this GS/ERay/Hybrid.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:08 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RedLS6
'Course they can, or pretty dang close, not counting launch control limiting or other nonidealities. I'm a big mechanical ICE fan but in my spare time, I make my living over on the (very very low voltage) Dark Side .

Look up Vector Control, or Field Oriented control. Also check out the Plaid dyno from Tesla themselves, it shows the linear power region and the constant torque region.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/evolution...rol-waves-bits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_control_(motor)

The problem with many of the online dyno tests, is the dyno itself. Inertial or eddy-current dynos are not designed to be able to register steady state torque at 0 rpm, and they typically struggle to accurately read the very steep torque ramp. Also, it takes a small amount of time for current to fully build up in the motor inductance. Many dyno tests start at something other than zero rpm and unfortunately catch these ramp effects. A little more than three decades ago, for part of one of my grad degrees I needed to build an electric motor dyno that measured torque at a locked zero rpm, along with fast transients everywhere else in the rpm range, and it worked by directly measuring motor current.
The bold is the point. In the real world as installed and controlled the results are not the same. Excuse me if I am doubtful of the dynos charts from Tesla. It kind of reminds me of the 60's when the manufacturers use gross horsepower, bare engine on the dyno with dyno exhaust, but when you measured them as installed in a car with accessories and as installed exhaust and intake, the real numbers were very different.

Your point on the dyno problem is fair. I don't know what type of dynos they are running, The point of power being limited by state of charge of the batteries is real. The torque and power being limited by the controller is real.

My other point was torque alone does not determine acceleration. Without the time component acceleration doesn't occur and the time component gives you horsepower, so horsepower, with the proper gearing is what gives you acceleration. Otherwise F1 cars would not accelerate well. Their torque numbers over the years have not been impressive.

I look forward to seeing the new Challenger EVs for Stellantis. It appears they are planning to use multi speed transmissions. It should be interesting.
RedLS6 (08-18-2022)

Quick Reply: E-Rays at the Nurburgring