C8 ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion ERay/Hybrid/EV Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

ideal electric only range? i would love 20, but have a feeling we will only get 10

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 06:56 PM
goto35
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ideal electric only range? i would love 20, but have a feeling we will only get 10

I would love 20+ electric mile range. But i have a feeling we will get 6-10 on the first go around. thoughts?

SOOO excited about the eray.

Here is my current 23

Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by goto35
I would love 20+ electric mile range. But i have a feeling we will get 6-10 on the first go around. thoughts?

Here is my current 23
So it "should" be a PHEV, which means it "should" have an EV range of over 15 miles. And that is the only way it will be able to put big numbers on the board i.e 50+ MPGe. I would "hope" they are in fact shooting for the 20 mile ev range. The only way you would see under 15 mile ev range is if it is Not a PHEV and then it would be a wasted exercise in engineering.

Last edited by msm859; 06-28-2022 at 12:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lostsoul (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 11:36 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I'm not sure the term "range" will really fit in this case unless it is a plug-in hybrid, which I doubt. The car will determine the state of charge of the battery. So the battery is not likely to be at full charge all the time.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:29 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,257 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

If a Subaru can do17 miles on a battery, a Corvette
that costs 2 or3 times more should get over 20.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

extraneous factoid

There are 6000 charging "stations" in the US and 150,000 gasoline stations. Even the intended "expansion" by the govt leaves large areas of the country unserviced.

So range from where to where?
Only1cannoli (08-01-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 06:54 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by road pilot
If a Subaru can do17 miles on a battery, a Corvette
that costs 2 or3 times more should get over 20.
It is a balancing act of size/weight of battery and range. I agree I would love a 20-25 mile range. The advantages is that a battery large enough to give that range should not weigh too much and would allow more powerful electric motors that would make it quicker - even with the extra weight. I would want to know what size electric motor(s) do you need to get a 0-60 in 2.5 or less? What size battery do you need to support said motor(s)? What size battery would fit in the tunnel? And what size battery do you need to get a 20 mile EV range. Work within those parameters. Costs should not be part of the equation because at @$125/ kWh whether it is 8 or 15 kWh the price difference is insignificant.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:01 AM
Dennis Bernal
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
extraneous factoid

There are 6000 charging "stations" in the US and 150,000 gasoline stations. Even the intended "expansion" by the govt leaves large areas of the country unserviced.

So range from where to where?
How is number of charging stations relevant for a hybrid? Are you referring to if the E-Ray is plug in? If it is, which I doubt, couldn't you just plug it in at home? It's not the all electric that is being discussed in this thread, from understanding.
Tripjammer (07-17-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:35 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dennis Bernal
How is number of charging stations relevant for a hybrid? Are you referring to if the E-Ray is plug in? If it is, which I doubt, couldn't you just plug it in at home? It's not the all electric that is being discussed in this thread, from understanding.
Actually the bigger problem with "counting" charging stations is most people who do not have an EV forget to count the "charging" stations most EV owners have in their garage. Most EV owners can simply charge up in the comfort of their home. No ICE cars have that luxury. As to the "ERay" or whatever GM calls their first electrified Corvette, that should be a hybrid and Hopefully a PHEV that can be easily charged with any outlet.
The following 2 users liked this post by msm859:
NotScared (08-06-2022), Tripjammer (07-17-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 03:19 PM
MY04CE
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 139 Posts

Patiently waiting for anything 'official' (release date, power, 0-60 time, EV range, etc.) from GM. I hope the E-Ray does at least 25 (the more the better) miles on the battery before the engine kicks in. Otherwise, why bother?
msm859 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:02 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 408 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Bernal
You will get use to seeing these type of posts from the usual suspects ( hybrid/EV haters) that has nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.
Back on topic. Most will definitely charged it over night at home like my co-worker does in his Volt however it will not last his trip home.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:13 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Originally Posted by msm859
It is a balancing act of size/weight of battery and range. I agree I would love a 20-25 mile range. The advantages is that a battery large enough to give that range should not weigh too much and would allow more powerful electric motors that would make it quicker - even with the extra weight. I would want to know what size electric motor(s) do you need to get a 0-60 in 2.5 or less? What size battery do you need to support said motor(s)? What size battery would fit in the tunnel? And what size battery do you need to get a 20 mile EV range. Work within those parameters. Costs should not be part of the equation because at @$125/ kWh whether it is 8 or 15 kWh the price difference is insignificant.
That is a good point. A balance between weight, range and performance 0-60. Would GM sacrifice a little performance for better MPGe? I might suspect so? That may be an more attractive pkg say 0-60 same as the Z06 with high MPGe. That maybe the marketing point for the Hybrid C8?
Old 06-30-2022, 09:09 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CDNZR
That is a good point. A balance between weight, range and performance 0-60. Would GM sacrifice a little performance for better MPGe? I might suspect so? That may be an more attractive pkg say 0-60 same as the Z06 with high MPGe. That maybe the marketing point for the Hybrid C8?
Actually, the balancing act would probably be more on weight vs handling. AWD with 2 electric motors up front will allow for torque vectoring and better handling. Extra weight (larger batteries) will detract from the handling. Larger batteries will give you more EV range and increase your MPGe. Larger batteries will allow higher voltage for longer time and thus support higher hp electric motor(s) - quicker 0-60. Costs difference between a HEV and PHEV (mild vs plug in) is negligible and to get the high PMGe it needs to be a PHEV. The ONLY constraints I see are space for the battery in the tunnel and actually having manufacturing capacity to make the batteries. Ideally, I would like to see 10+ kWh battery with 2 - 100+ hp electric motors - peak hp @ 630. That should get a 0-60 in 2.5 or less and a MPGe over 50 and @20 miles ev range.
Tripjammer (07-17-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:22 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

What is the purpose of the e only range in the C8 hybrid that people envision?

That was the reason for my observation as to the limited availability of high speed charging stations. By the by, not all Corvette owners live in separate units that enable parking and charging. Although some apartment units are considering parking lot charging capabilities where a parking lot is available. And some towns are considering free charging as well as free parking to draw the consumer back down town.

For example, if you wanted to access an area where e only vehicles are permitted as a metropolitan area, you could drive to the area using the hybrid "normal" mode and then within the e only area using the e mode. Is that what is being imagined? Definitely would require a plug in capability?

My mind is on a performance hybrid so I envision filling in the lower part of the torque curve of the e/IC propulsion unit for better acceleration from standstill or lower speeds. So I'm having difficulty understanding the intended use of the e only range.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kodiak Bear:
BrakeFade (07-29-2022), C7Me (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

That was the reason for my observation as to the limited availability of high speed charging stations. By the by, not all Corvette owners live in separate units that enable parking and charging. Although some apartment units are considering parking lot charging capabilities where a parking lot is available. And some towns are considering free charging as well as free parking to draw the consumer back down town.

For example, if you wanted to access an area where e only vehicles are permitted as a metropolitan area, you could drive to the area using the hybrid "normal" mode and then within the e only area using the e mode. Is that what is being imagined? Definitely would require a plug in capability?

My mind is on a performance hybrid so I envision filling in the lower part of the torque curve of the e/IC propulsion unit for better acceleration from standstill or lower speeds. So I'm having difficulty understanding the intended use of the e only range.
I want to have my cake and eat it too. The hybrid ( and I mean a PHEV) will be much quicker than the base Stingray - at least 10% if not more. The instantaneous torque will readily be felt in normal street driving - electric propulsion is awesome. Driving through a neighborhood, in traffic, at a stop light , through a drive through, at low speeds, I don't want to be burning gas for nothing - I want the real world improved mpg. I believe in climate change. After owning a Tesla X for the last 2 1/2 years normal daily driving electric is far superior. 1 pedal driving is nice - not wasting energy on braking is nice. But I still like the looks and sound of the V-8. To me it is the best of both worlds. Since it will have a "small" battery, you will have no problem charging with a regular 110 outlet - high speed charger not needed. I would tend to think anyone who is spending $80k+ on a car has access to that.
Tripjammer (07-17-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Actually the bigger problem with "counting" charging stations is most people who do not have an EV forget to count the "charging" stations most EV owners have in their garage. Most EV owners can simply charge up in the comfort of their home. No ICE cars have that luxury. As to the "ERay" or whatever GM calls their first electrified Corvette, that should be a hybrid and Hopefully a PHEV that can be easily charged with any outlet.
While it may be true that many people that can afford 60-130k plus EVs have a free standing home, and may be able to have a home charger. You live in California with a much higher density of public chargers. Over 100,000,000 people don’t live in free standing homes in the US. We have discussed you myopic view of the world that comes from a very privileged perspective.

The reason, that MOST EV owners may have a charger, is because they have to, otherwise they would be out of luck keeping their car charged. Near where I do more that a few people have fuel tanks where they live, because they have farm equipment. So you comment that no ICE owners have home fueling is false.

Before you say that I am anti-EV I will point out again that had 240V outlet put in my garage just for EV charging, for when one meets my needs. I am anti-EV hype that they are the salvation of the world, and meet 95% of people’s needs right now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
Kodiak Bear (07-01-2022), MDawg (08-16-2022), Only1cannoli (08-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 01:17 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
While it may be true that many people that can afford 60-130k plus EVs have a free standing home, and may be able to have a home charger. You live in California with a much higher density of public chargers. Over 100,000,000 people don’t live in free standing homes in the US. We have discussed you myopic view of the world that comes from a very privileged perspective.

The reason, that MOST EV owners may have a charger, is because they have to, otherwise they would be out of luck keeping their car charged. Near where I do more that a few people have fuel tanks where they live, because they have farm equipment. So you comment that no ICE owners have home fueling is false.

Before you say that I am anti-EV I will point out again that had 240V outlet put in my garage just for EV charging, for when one meets my needs. I am anti-EV hype that they are the salvation of the world, and meet 95% of people’s needs right now.
Right now we are talking about a hybrid that will have a small battery. A regular 110 outlet should add @ 3 miles per hour. If it came with a 20 mile range that would be 7 hours. 2/3rds of Americas own their own home. I would not call that a privileged perspective. I do live in a progressive state that is working on making sure the infrastructure is available for all. New homes in CA have to have solar, They have to be wired for an EV in the garage. The latest new apartment I saw in my town advertised solar and charging for EV's. As to farms and fuel tanks, we have those too. They generally have red dyed diesel - for off road use only. I would suggest not only is that rare if you want talk numbers, but it should also not help with the question of gas stations for on road use.

As to your concern for anti-EV hype, I admitted I believe in climate change and have been working to reduce my carbon footprint, however, put ALL of that aside and for a daily driver an EV wins hands down. The smooth linear abundant power is far better than a typical ICE vehicle. The minimal maintenance, features etc. Forget all about climate change. Once EV's reach price parity the overwhelming majority of people will buy an EV for the better ownership experience. I agree that today they do not meet everyone's needs, but they are getting closer every day.
Tripjammer (07-17-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 02:10 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Originally Posted by goto35

Here is my current 23
Nice car. Tide you over until your Hybrid C8 arrived. I'd hope you are near front of the of the list but then again you have the Stingray in the meantime.

Get notified of new replies

To ideal electric only range? i would love 20, but have a feeling we will only get 10

Old 07-01-2022, 02:53 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Right now we are talking about a hybrid that will have a small battery. A regular 110 outlet should add @ 3 miles per hour. If it came with a 20 mile range that would be 7 hours. 2/3rds of Americas own their own home. I would not call that a privileged perspective. I do live in a progressive state that is working on making sure the infrastructure is available for all. New homes in CA have to have solar, They have to be wired for an EV in the garage. The latest new apartment I saw in my town advertised solar and charging for EV's. As to farms and fuel tanks, we have those too. They generally have red dyed diesel - for off road use only. I would suggest not only is that rare if you want talk numbers, but it should also not help with the question of gas stations for on road use.

As to your concern for anti-EV hype, I admitted I believe in climate change and have been working to reduce my carbon footprint, however, put ALL of that aside and for a daily driver an EV wins hands down. The smooth linear abundant power is far better than a typical ICE vehicle. The minimal maintenance, features etc. Forget all about climate change. Once EV's reach price parity the overwhelming majority of people will buy an EV for the better ownership experience. I agree that today they do not meet everyone's needs, but they are getting closer every day.
I quoted your post. You spoke very specifically about most EV owners, not hybrid owners. That is what I responded to. most people can’t afford 60-130k cars. So when you are speaking about EV owners, you are talking about privileged people. Now with Chevy dropping the price 6k, it is getting better.

I see an awful lot of people driving in my area in old pickups with work gear to build houses. They are not driving from close by. I would be willing to bet that an electric that would meet their needs, that they could NOT afford it, thus not meeting their needs.

Last edited by Racer X; 07-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:44 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 266 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I agree 100%!! This is going to be a high performance, hybrid, sports car. I don't give a **** about E range, not even a little!
The following 2 users liked this post by C7Me:
BrakeFade (07-29-2022), COSMObudman (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 11:52 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7Me
I agree 100%!! This is going to be a high performance, hybrid, sports car. I don't give a **** about E range, not even a little!
Well if you want high performance than the byproduct will be more EV range. To have high performance you need higher hp electric motors and they will need more volts which means larger battery which will mean more EV range. So I am with you - give me 200+ hp electric motor(s) with a big enough battery to give them the sustained volts they need to be a real performer.

Quick Reply: ideal electric only range? i would love 20, but have a feeling we will only get 10