Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 12:33 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The difference some people here are missing with electric cars is electric cars are being forced on us by leftist governments and corporations, not because electric cars are somehow better.
I am going to lower it a notch as I don't mean to attack anyone. The Corvette is a car of emotions and this subject stirs up my own strong feelings. I correct my earlier statement as I am not "anti-EV". The above quote and being forced down this road is what worries me. Let the free market take this where it wants to go, not government and political pressures. An "all of the above" approach works for me in fitting the differing needs and wants of the buyer. An ICE/electric AWD ZORA or whatever you want to call it, will certainly take the Corvette to extreme levels of fast and make us ask "what could you possibly do next"? An "Orwellian" forced upon us existence with an electric only future, is my fear... Sadly, I feel that is where we are being "pushed".
The following users liked this post:
1985 Vette (05-06-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 04:33 PM
Noblebro175
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
How bad is the AFM failure? If we go by what you said, they should be littering the road every day every mile. It would be a bonanza for tow trucks and repair shops. What I am curious about is, catastrophic as they are when they happen, what is the percentage of failure that has no bearing in the user? Say at 100K, 200K, 300K. 20% failure rate at 100K is unacceptable. 1% is more acceptable. I see a lot of people with the failure but I see more vehicles driving around with them. I understand it is terrible when it happens to the person. What interests me more is the failure rate at some points that cannot be attributed to abuse or lack of maintenance.

Sure, the AWD is fantastic and I would prefer all my cars have that if I had a choice since I live where there is snow. That said, I don't like the "refueling" characteristics so I will pass if it is that or nothing. It simply won't fit my lifestyle in any way whether it is a Vette or a truck or a sedan.
refueling? Meaning they suffer a couple meg's? I was able to squeeze 29-30mpg out of my 16 Cadillac xts awd. As long as I stayed out of the twin turbos, it was comparable to the non awd versions. I believe they where fwd ? When i did freguent FB , i was on several Silverado/ Sierra pages and id say it wasn't everyday or even month someone posted it. I'd say more so than LS7 failure tho and a quick glance in the classifieds will show you just about everyone interested in a C6 z06 is asking one question...had the heads been fixed. What made my situation worse, is the shop went back factory as opposed to ha ING me tow it to LS XPERTS for a straight v8 mod. Traded it in for the Caddy asap.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Noblebro175
Pro

The difference some people here are missing with electric cars is electric cars are being forced on us by leftist governments and corporations, not because electric cars are somehow better. If electric cars were better than gasoline cars, the demand would be through the roof. In the first full year of production, Ford sold 559,451 Mustangs. In the first year of Camaro production, GM sold over 220,000 Camaros. There were no tax incentives. There was no free or discounted gasoline for buying them. You didn't get to drive in a special lane for buying one. The public wanted Mustangs and Camaros, and they bought them.
Tesla sold nearly a million models last year. They haven't offered free lifetime supercharging since ....hmm, lol cant recall. Maybe 14-15's. The GOV rebate is only for a certain new number of each vehicle. One could say the same buying a new f150 etc is the same buying C8's right now. Merely for look at me then sell at a higher price due to demands. As far as GOV pushing them, it's funny how they only push Ford and GM. Musk is still crying over Biden not patting his back. On the same subject, there will be thousands or more accurately millions of jobs building battery plants, re tooling existing car plants, charging stations, spin off companies, etc,etc. Creating jobs isn't a bad thing. It's what Amercian government does. Being IBEW , im fine with them supporting UNIONS. After all, the UAW has built and co tiniest to build every Corvette that is on the road today. I'd dare say, Musk is about as close to a lefty as Trump . Maybe in 30 years I can afford an Eray lol
msm859 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 04:59 PM
Noblebro175
Pro

Originally Posted by msm859
Specifically what are the names of these "leftist corporations"? GM? Ford? VW????? And the real question for Michael A. - Why do you continue to frequent the C8 ERay/HybridEV Discussion? You are rabidly anti EV and that's your choice. But this section is really for the people who are interested in the hybrid ERay and future EV Corvette. Not because anyone is forcing it on us, but because we want it for many reasons. I put my deposit down a year ago for the ERay - no expectation of any government subsidy. I bought a Tesla X 2 years ago - no one forced me. Once EV's reach price parity with their ICE counterpart, demand will be through the roof - yes they are that much better. The governor of California said you won't be able to buy a new ICE vehicle after 2035, I will predict it will be de facto sooner - by choice.
Washington state has similar plans . I could go out on a limb and say anyone posting mpg threads in this forum support EV while those who only log in to remark......buy a prius if you want to save gas money... while they drive only a couple thousand moles a year and only when the suns out. I average 150-300 miles a day and construction means traveling . Currently, the 30mpg of a C5 has me in the market. Unfortunately, I'll wait a couple years and scour the classifieds until this 40-50% make up goes down. Crazy seeing C6's sell for almost what they brought new.
msm859 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 08:46 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 137 Posts
Default No Stone Tablet manual either

And no stone tablet manual written in hieroglyphics.either

Originally Posted by Buddhaman
And non-round taillights! Or non-pop-up headlights! Or fuel injection! Or any other changes! How about just not buying one? Might not stir your soul but could brown your pants.
Noblebro175 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:23 AM
jasinedward
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 69 Posts

The difference some people here are missing with electric cars is electric cars are being forced on us by leftist governments and corporations, not because electric cars are somehow better. If electric cars were better than gasoline cars, the demand would be through the roof. In the first full year of production, Ford sold 559,451 Mustangs. In the first year of Camaro production, GM sold over 220,000 Camaros. There were no tax incentives. There was no free or discounted gasoline for buying them. You didn't get to drive in a special lane for buying one. The public wanted Mustangs and Camaros, and they bought them.
That's a load of crap. Go try to inquire about purchasing an F150, Rivian, Hummer EV, Mustang Mach-E, or any other EV that's not Tesla and get back to us. The demand is there.
The following 3 users liked this post by jasinedward:
msm859 (05-04-2022), Noblebro175 (05-05-2022), SAN_man (05-14-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
And no stone tablet manual written in hieroglyphics.either
Don't be ridiculous. The chassis won't support a trailer that is capable of holding that many stone tablets
Old 05-04-2022, 12:28 PM
rwillitt
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

And buggy makers said those horseless carriages would never catch on either.
Noblebro175 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:11 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by rwillitt
And buggy makers said those horseless carriages would never catch on either.
Actually the population applauded the horseless carriage because it eliminated the pollution from all the horse droppings!!

So what's the pollution from the EVs that's going to be our next problem???
Old 05-04-2022, 03:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
Actually the population applauded the horseless carriage because it eliminated the pollution from all the horse droppings!!

So what's the pollution from the EVs that's going to be our next problem???
I'm not even concerned with the current pollution problem. Hopefully be dead by the time we get there
Old 05-04-2022, 11:03 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,934 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by jasinedward
That's a load of crap. Go try to inquire about purchasing an F150, Rivian, Hummer EV, Mustang Mach-E, or any other EV that's not Tesla and get back to us. The demand is there.
By you logic, then based on the demand of the mid-engine Corvette, all cars should be mid-engine.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by msm859
Specifically what are the names of these "leftist corporations"? GM? Ford? VW????? And the real question for Michael A. - Why do you continue to frequent the C8 ERay/HybridEV Discussion? You are rabidly anti EV and that's your choice. But this section is really for the people who are interested in the hybrid ERay and future EV Corvette. Not because anyone is forcing it on us, but because we want it for many reasons. I put my deposit down a year ago for the ERay - no expectation of any government subsidy. I bought a Tesla X 2 years ago - no one forced me. Once EV's reach price parity with their ICE counterpart, demand will be through the roof - yes they are that much better. The governor of California said you won't be able to buy a new ICE vehicle after 2035, I will predict it will be de facto sooner - by choice.
What a surprise! Now it's Cancel Culture from the EV crowd. We'll that's predictable. That's what happens when they run out of facts. People are entitled to comment on any forum here they like. That's what public forums are for. Nobody has to agree.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-04-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Meanmyz (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

What a surprise! Now it's Cancel Culture from the EV crowd. We'll that's predictable. That's what happens when they run out of facts. People are entitled to comment on any forum here they like. That's what public forums are for. Nobody has to agree.
I'm not sure that this is a public forum in that you are protected by free speech.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:03 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Monaco isn't in France.
But...
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Old 05-05-2022, 12:09 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
No, THIS particular thread is anti EV and Michael "gets it". You on the other hand are in the wrong thread. There are other fanboy posts in this section (not this thread) for you to expound on the soulless joys of driving an elecric golf cart and of "saving the world". Maybe you can even start a new thread...the Corvette "crossover" seems to be creating some discussion lately...

California, huh? ...Makes sense.
Ah, c'mon...
The thread started off on the wrong foot when the OP put the Principality of Monaco in France...
Old 05-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm not sure that this is a public forum in that you are protected by free speech.
No, but the forum rules don't stipulate that you have to agree with EV nuts. I've enjoyed the discourse, and learned quite a bit from my fellow members.

1985 Vette (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:12 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobeast
This debate will eventually rank up there with automatic vs stick, NA vs Supercharged, or Ginger vs Maryanne. No consensus will be reached, and time will march on.
It's already there

BTW: Ginger, because she was a TRAMP.

Get notified of new replies

To Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so

Old 05-05-2022, 12:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

No, but the forum rules don't stipulate that you have to agree with EV nuts. I've enjoyed the discourse, and learned quite a bit from my fellow members.
Why are they "nuts"? Because they don't agree with you? You should probably have that looked at...
Old 05-05-2022, 12:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Noblebro175
refueling? Meaning they suffer a couple meg's? I was able to squeeze 29-30mpg out of my 16 Cadillac xts awd. As long as I stayed out of the twin turbos, it was comparable to the non awd versions. I believe they where fwd ?

When i did freguent FB , i was on several Silverado/ Sierra pages and id say it wasn't everyday or even month someone posted it. I'd say more so than LS7 failure tho and a quick glance in the classifieds will show you just about everyone interested in a C6 z06 is asking one question...had the heads been fixed. What made my situation worse, is the shop went back factory as opposed to ha ING me tow it to LS XPERTS for a straight v8 mod. Traded it in for the Caddy asap.
Refueling meaning what happens when the energy is depleted. When my tank is empty, I can easily find a gas station, fill up and be done in 10 minutes. If EV allows me to do that and have it as easy to find as gas stations, I will definitely get one. OTOH, if I have to plan my trips so that I am at the right place at the right time, I'm out. Beyond that, I would be fine with electric. I don't need or even want the engine noise. The wicked acceleration will sell me.

Have things changed since the C7 came out considering AFM? If not, there might be an issue still lingering.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:41 AM
Noblebro175
Pro

Originally Posted by jasinedward
exactly! How many years have folks been on the waiting list for the Tesla truck? I dont see why ,but im not blind lol. Its hideous. Nonetheless, folks want it. Ford stopped reservations after maxing at 250k f150 EV trucks. Ford said they have enough truck orders to make strictly "pre-order trucks" thru 2025. Since when in history has that happened with a ICE vehicle? Jussayin. Folks have spoken they want it and want it now.
SAN_man (05-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so