Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 09:20 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Are you serious? Have you ever watched any commercial. Why do they put beautiful people in clothes they are selling? Why do they paint a beautiful life if you buy a particular product? This is marketing 101. EVERY SINGLE commercial for ANYTHING is an attempt to "manipulate" the prospective purchaser.
Have you seen the new Target commercials with average people, wonder what they’re thinking? I’ve always thought sales was about building a relationship and the basis of that is trust not deception.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:10 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Have you seen the new Target commercials with average people, wonder what they’re thinking? I’ve always thought sales was about building a relationship and the basis of that is trust not deception.
Although connected, you are confusing sales with marketing. First you have to get the sale to build that relationship for future sales. Target and many are going for more average models - the new pc - and they already have a lot of repeat customers. However, GM is trying to get the "first" sale of BEV's. A 2 minute read on this forum will show the challenge they have. BEV's (or anything with electric power) is only for those eco liberals from California. Unless they can smell the fumes from the burning gas and hear the engine roar it is not a real car. A BEV Corvette should not even carry the name as it will not be a true sports car. So GM has to conquer this macho man resistance. What better way then to take their meanest, baddest most manly vehicle and turn it into a BEV. The Hummer wasn't designed for quantity sales. It was an image builder. Who is going to call that rough and tough guy in his Hummer an eco liberal? If a mans man can buy a BEV it opens the doors for others. And make no mistake GM is not doing this because they care about the environment. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd reason is simple - stock market. The sole purpose of the existence of a corporation is to maximize profits and shareholder value. GM and everyone else is chasing the most valuable car company on the planet - Tesla. What does Tesla do? Only sells BEV's. Some have opined GM changed tunes after we got a new administration. Not true. In 2016 Tesla was still losing money - nothing to fear. In a blink of 4 years they became the most valuable car company in the world. That is the only reason GM changed their tune. But also make no mistake, there is still a lot of money interested in slowing down the transition - oil companies - the second tobacco war. So we continue to see a lot of misinformation and prejudices, you can thank those interest - for the real manipulation.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:28 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Although connected, you are confusing sales with marketing. First you have to get the sale to build that relationship for future sales. Target and many are going for more average models - the new pc - and they already have a lot of repeat customers. However, GM is trying to get the "first" sale of BEV's. A 2 minute read on this forum will show the challenge they have. BEV's (or anything with electric power) is only for those eco liberals from California. Unless they can smell the fumes from the burning gas and hear the engine roar it is not a real car. A BEV Corvette should not even carry the name as it will not be a true sports car. So GM has to conquer this macho man resistance. What better way then to take their meanest, baddest most manly vehicle and turn it into a BEV. The Hummer wasn't designed for quantity sales. It was an image builder. Who is going to call that rough and tough guy in his Hummer an eco liberal? If a mans man can buy a BEV it opens the doors for others. And make no mistake GM is not doing this because they care about the environment. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd reason is simple - stock market. The sole purpose of the existence of a corporation is to maximize profits and shareholder value. GM and everyone else is chasing the most valuable car company on the planet - Tesla. What does Tesla do? Only sells BEV's. Some have opined GM changed tunes after we got a new administration. Not true. In 2016 Tesla was still losing money - nothing to fear. In a blink of 4 years they became the most valuable car company in the world. That is the only reason GM changed their tune. But also make no mistake, there is still a lot of money interested in slowing down the transition - oil companies - the second tobacco war. So we continue to see a lot of misinformation and prejudices, you can thank those interest - for the real manipulation.
Guess I’m just not a herd follower and like to think for myself. I’ll take a Bronco Sasquatch and a Corvette for the price and weight of a Hummer EV alone, what’s the ground psi of this “manly” no good braking beast with 305/70R18 relative to?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 07-11-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:59 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 372 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Guess I’m just not a herd follower and like to think for myself. I’ll take a Bronco Sasquatch and a Corvette for the price and weight of a Hummer EV alone, what’s the ground psi of this “manly” no good braking beast with 305/70R18 relative to?
This exactly. Heavy EVs are terrible for future road infrastructure. To make it worse, the new F150 Lightning just proved that EV trucks are a total flop. TFL towed with it and it couldn't make 100 miles at 50% of towing capacity (6000lbs went 75 miles and took 45 mins and $27 just to get it back to 75% charge - that's less than 30% of advertised range empty). To replace trucks that don't work, with heavier EV trucks that CAN'T work is the dumbest, most anti-climate thing I can imagine.

EVs should be small commuter cars with the focus on getting them lighter. That's where they will shine.
The following 2 users liked this post by NW-99SS:
C7Me (07-12-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:07 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
This exactly. Heavy EVs are terrible for future road infrastructure. To make it worse, the new F150 Lightning just proved that EV trucks are a total flop. TFL towed with it and it couldn't make 100 miles at 50% of towing capacity (6000lbs went 75 miles and took 45 mins and $27 just to get it back to 75% charge - that's less than 30% of advertised range empty). To replace trucks that don't work, with heavier EV trucks that CAN'T work is the dumbest, most anti-climate thing I can imagine.

EVs should be small commuter cars with the focus on getting them lighter. That's where they will shine.
Couldn’t agree more as I was just having this conversation with my uncle the other day, EVs being heavier and higher ground psi are going to tear up the roads more.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRE-Z06:
NW-99SS (07-12-2022), Paws (07-24-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:01 PM
VetteHalen5150
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 83 Posts

Has the government done any studies on the impact to the road infrastructure for even 50% of the auto fleet being EVs? Also, what about when the much delayed Tesla Semi hits the roads; won't that be insanely heavy and impact the road infrastructure even more? The weight of EV's vs ICE vehicles and the impact to our infrastructure is not talked about enough. From everything I have seen, our current roads and power grid cannot handle the EV numbers that are being projected.
The following 3 users liked this post by VetteHalen5150:
NW-99SS (07-12-2022), Paws (07-24-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:20 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteHalen5150
Has the government done any studies on the impact to the road infrastructure for even 50% of the auto fleet being EVs? Also, what about when the much delayed Tesla Semi hits the roads; won't that be insanely heavy and impact the road infrastructure even more? The weight of EV's vs ICE vehicles and the impact to our infrastructure is not talked about enough. From everything I have seen, our current roads and power grid cannot handle the EV numbers that are being projected.
Precisely. Heavier traffic, causing more road damage = more road repairs required. There's more carbon footprint there again. Oh but, buy an EV while we demand you turn of your A/C due to the overloaded electrical grid.

If you can't see the absurdity of all this, it's because you are willfully ignorant.
Paws (07-24-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:25 PM
ZO6ZO7isme
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 182 Posts

U R joking right? Gov’t hasn’t done dick in the way of studies. China controls 65 to 70% of world wide lithium is my understanding. Need to know anything more about Bozo and his decision making….
kevinprimetime (07-21-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:57 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZO6ZO7isme
U R joking right? Gov’t hasn’t done dick in the way of studies. China controls 65 to 70% of world wide lithium is my understanding. Need to know anything more about Bozo and his decision making….
Actually China's control is as to production - not the raw material. They have had the foresight to make huge investments over the last decade. The United States has been busy with infighting and putting their heads in the sand. Short term profits trump long term profit/growth.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:54 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Actually China's control is as to production - not the raw material. They have had the foresight to make huge investments over the last decade. The United States has been busy with infighting and putting their heads in the sand. Short term profits trump long term profit/growth.
Or they’ve been busy positioning themselves to profit and then manipulating the markets to insure it happens for their gain, though I’m sure you’ll just reply it’s a sales tactic.
Dominic Sorresso (07-18-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Or they’ve been busy positioning themselves to profit and then manipulating the markets to insure it happens for their gain, though I’m sure you’ll just reply it’s a sales tactic.
No. I agree with you completely. In the last decade China has been busy positioning themselves to profit - investing $10's of billions of dollars - and are now in a position to manipulate the market to insure their gain - it is called foresight. Something the United States use to do as the world leader on so many fronts. Now all we can do is brag that we have the 2nd amendment so that children can be slaughtered at will - a distinction we are the only country on the planet can make. Or that we can no longer do anything big. Bullet trains -no way. We were the first country to put a person on the moon. Now anything that might help "the other side" look good is immediately rejected. Unbridled greed is king. The full court press on misinformation of going "green" is on - the gullible Americans are fish in a barrel. Let's make America great again is a slogan most people have no clue what it means.
Dominic Sorresso (07-18-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:35 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

No. I agree with you completely. In the last decade China has been busy positioning themselves to profit - investing $10's of billions of dollars - and are now in a position to manipulate the market to insure their gain - it is called foresight. Something the United States use to do as the world leader on so many fronts. Now all we can do is brag that we have the 2nd amendment so that children can be slaughtered at will - a distinction we are the only country on the planet can make. Or that we can no longer do anything big. Bullet trains -no way. We were the first country to put a person on the moon. Now anything that might help "the other side" look good is immediately rejected. Unbridled greed is king. The full court press on misinformation of going "green" is on - the gullible Americans are fish in a barrel. Let's make America great again is a slogan most people have no clue what it means.
Key word there is greed, others have jumped on board to make their cut in the international market. We pretend there are countries still, but money is what rules the world sadly and many will fall to their knees for it.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:42 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

A REMINDER

In April of this year, GM President Mark Reuss made the following statement about the electric Corvette program:
“Some time ago we moved the Corvette team into the EV space in Warren, Michigan, and when we revealed the new mid-engine Corvette, I said there would be “more to come.” This morning I sat down with Phil LeBeau of CNBC and finally answered the question I’ve been asked countless times.
Yes, in addition to the amazing new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and other gas-powered variants coming, we will offer an electrified and a fully electric, Ultium-based Corvette in the future. In fact, we will offer an electrified Corvette as early as next year. Details and names to come at a later date.

cor28vettes (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 04:10 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Precisely. Heavier traffic, causing more road damage = more road repairs required. There's more carbon footprint there again. Oh but, buy an EV while we demand you turn of your A/C due to the overloaded electrical grid.

If you can't see the absurdity of all this, it's because you are willfully ignorant.
Don't forget the extra tire wear. More oil and energy will be needed for more tire replacements. I see a lot of Tesla drivers on their forums saying they are only getting 20,000 miles on their tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
NW-99SS (07-18-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 08:53 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
Don't forget the extra tire wear. More oil and energy will be needed for more tire replacements. I see a lot of Tesla drivers on their forums saying they are only getting 20,000 miles on their tires.
I got 100k miles out of my original tires on my F150, I chalk it up to low ground psi being the truck has relatively wide tires for it’s low weight being aluminum. An electric car on the other hand runs narrower tires for less rolling resistance as they have to make sure they travel as far as possible, there are no free lunches as everything is a trade off which most people don’t understand.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...rformance/amp/
Old 07-18-2022, 12:04 AM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,756 Likes on 1,413 Posts

What an ignorant statement to make. It's the libs and teacher's unions turning schools into gun free zones, trying to eliminate armed school resource officers and fighting laws that would allow school staff to carry CCWs. Libs and corporate media embrace the carnage believing it furthers their goal of demonizing and eventually eliminating guns. We lived only a few miles from Columbine HS when the shootings took place and our children knew several of the slain children, and my Wife currently teaches at an elementary school very near Columbine. I know more about this subject on a personal level than you will ever be capable of understanding, and to have someone like you flippantly make an ignorant politicized remark like that on a car forum reflects your total lack of character as a human being. You deserve a life time ban for such a degenerate remark.
The following 4 users liked this post by SharkDiverZ06:
C7Me (07-18-2022), Fast Dawg (07-18-2022), kevinprimetime (07-21-2022), spaceaholic (07-26-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:58 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Its not that we CAN’T do anything big. Its that we WON’T. The fat cats like things just the way they are and they’re paying to keep it that way. We’ve been living off our laurels for too long.
msm859 (07-18-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
What an ignorant statement to make. It's the libs and teacher's unions turning schools into gun free zones, trying to eliminate armed school resource officers and fighting laws that would allow school staff to carry CCWs. Libs and corporate media embrace the carnage believing it furthers their goal of demonizing and eventually eliminating guns. We lived only a few miles from Columbine HS when the shootings took place and our children knew several of the slain children, and my Wife currently teaches at an elementary school very near Columbine. I know more about this subject on a personal level than you will ever be capable of understanding, and to have someone like you flippantly make an ignorant politicized remark like that on a car forum reflects your total lack of character as a human being. You deserve a life time ban for such a degenerate remark.
Yeh all those good guys with guns in Texas really helped. Your response replete with ad hominem attacks speaks volume. You know me not, yet arrogantly proclaim your superiority on a subject. But you are correct this is a car forum and should not stray too far. My retort was to a different related comment. Viewing in isolation is disingenuous.
rjmayo (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:18 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Yeh all those good guys with guns in Texas really helped.
The ones who stood in the hallway cleaning their hands for over an hour, or the ones they stopped from entering the school to try and save their kids/wives?
C7Me (07-18-2022), SharkDiverZ06 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:24 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,636 Posts

Yeh all those good guys with guns in Texas really helped.
What did you think about the good guy with a gun who stopped a mass shooter last night in a Indiana mall?

There was also a good guy with a gun near Atlanta this weekend that shot a guy who had a knife to a store clerk's throat at a convenience store. The now dead guy had been on the road in a stolen car and was robbing his third convenience store that day.

You also just insulted someone who knows people involved with the Columbine shootings. I wouldn't do that.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
C7Me (07-18-2022), kevinprimetime (07-21-2022), SharkDiverZ06 (07-18-2022), spaceaholic (07-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette