Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 12:43 PM
Rod1967
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNZR
How does the Hybrid handles vs the ICE?
The Hybrid Vette will for sure be quicker to 0-100 of the 3 C8 Variants IMO. AWD but with battery assist vs the traditional extra transaxle that takes power away. Plus other advantages.
I can't tell any difference, but of course it's a mini van not a sports car. The batteries are beneath the central floor so theoretically the center of gravity is lower. What I like best is the AWD reactive braking. The energy goes into the batteries rather than being wasted as heat. Kinda weird but in my old one I was always trying to minimize braking in an effort to reduce fuel consumption. I don't worry about that now. Reports of 100k miles before needing brake pads is cool too.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:48 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I attempted to drive a Tesla on an 800 mile round trip in one day with a friend not long ago so I experience first hand how EV's work in the real world. The electric Corvette takes the grand touring aspect of the car and throws it right in the trash. Maybe mini-touring would be possible, but not long distances unless you have piles of time available to waste and don't want to plan your own route and stops.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dalannex:
JABCAT (04-30-2022), JockItch (05-01-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 12:56 PM
Alan4891
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is nice to think EV and the environment, but that doesn't solve the issue. Where do you think the electricity comes from. It takes energy to create energy mainly coal, oil or natural gas. But what everyone forgets it takes infrastructure to support the energy we want to use.

Utilities can hardly keep up with growth and will soon be saying that something has to back off either EV or the utility serving homes and manufacturing. Solar and wind power are only a stop gap measure. Remember all the home owners whom invested in solar power, you know, the ones that now have high costs in maintenance like: batteries, invertors, failed solar panels or the cleaning and replacement of panels.. THen there are the people that were planning on the benefits of lower taxes only to find the seller is claiming your tax credits.

We have to rethink where we are going with EV. EV batteries only last so long and you will have to replace batteries. Have you ever priced out a set of batteries?
I am not saying EV or hybrid is not the answer but we need to seriously look before we jump.

Last edited by Alan4891; 04-29-2022 at 01:01 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-29-2022, 02:18 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,386 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Yes. This country would be better if we had true majority rule. Of course that would mean we would get rid of the electoral collage and gerrymandering. We would have to revise the Senate so that it is proportional to population. Get rid of the filibuster - which is anti-majority. The majority of Americans are pro choice, believe in climate change, want universal healthcare and reasonable gun laws. So do you believe in majority rule?
Pure democracy is your neighbors voting to confiscate all your property. Or two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Constitutional Democratic Republic, with lots of checks and balances. I would rather a government that is slow to make big changes. Gridlock is actually a good thing, because it requires super-majorities, it help stop the government from doing stupid things a small majority wants to do (take from those that work hard and are productive, and give to those that don't want to work hard (not can't there is a difference) and be productive).

And to stay on topic, If I were going to get a hybrid, or EV, it would be an SUV for around town, but not a Sports Car until EVs can do everything an ICE can, and more for less money (weigh less, more range, and more power). And then maybe not even then.

Last edited by Racer X; 04-29-2022 at 05:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
Fast Dawg (05-01-2022), heysteveh (04-29-2022), PRE-Z06 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 03:16 PM
Fxzx
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid and all electric Corvette

Originally Posted by Old buckeye
Coming next year and eventually all electric. Sad

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/25/gm-s...corvettes.html

Note: Link added by Moderator.
I will never buy a electrified Corvette
The following users liked this post:
Hunter25 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 03:19 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Let me start out by saying, I am 100% a Corvette enthusiast (border line obsessed) and have to date owned 45 Corvettes which basically covers all the generations. That being said; I am completely for expanding the Corvette line of options, including a SUV. I say got for it in the Electric, possibly it is a market where they can off set the production numbers to justify building a gas guzzling supercar and still get the percentage they need to keep the dumbass liberals off their back.

I will however NOT be in line to get a electric Corvette. It goes against everything I feel or believe a sports car should be. (Unless they can add a "noise mode" that makes it sound like a 60's big block, then who knows, but probably, I'll still pass)
The following 2 users liked this post by Bajaholic:
Dominic Sorresso (04-29-2022), Hunter25 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:07 PM
TolieDurden
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric ?

Absolutely not ! I’ll keep my exciting gas guzzler !
Hunter25 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:15 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 120 Posts

I have been fortunate to have owned 11 Corvettes, starting with a 70 LT-1 convertible. I will be getting my C8 soon, and then a C8 Z06 after that. If the rumored ZR1 is all ICE, I will finish with that. I will never own an electrified Corvette.
Hunter25 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 05:45 PM
pennsylvaniaron
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

for me who owns a 2022 C8 HTC non z51:

wide body nice
exhaust tips on outside...bummer, Z06 in middle much nicer
must cost for a well equipped HTC 100k OTD MSRP too.
looking for GM to finally change those rear lenses to round. There is a company making an after market version already.
ok I apologize now because you dont buy a vette for gas mileage but it has to get 40mpg ballpark or whats the sense?

i've been on a maintained eray list for 18 months, no deposit. I ASSume when its released i'll get one quickly.
regards
Old 04-29-2022, 06:07 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Fred
We’re a republic, not a democracy.
They both exercise voting and majority rule no?
Old 04-29-2022, 06:16 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Yes. This country would be better if we had true majority rule. Of course that would mean we would get rid of the electoral collage and gerrymandering. We would have to revise the Senate so that it is proportional to population. Get rid of the filibuster - which is anti-majority. The majority of Americans are pro choice, believe in climate change, want universal healthcare and reasonable gun laws. So do you believe in majority rule?
Except if the minority is being abused, that’s why the need for checks and balances. I’m for small government, freedom of choice and personal responsibility. I don’t know that I agree with your statement as they’re rather vague. Do humans want to take the path of least resistance yes, but is the easy way always the best no and more often than not I believe that’s the case despite our desires. The poll I made early shows a majority want the Z06 over an E-Ray, but that choice won’t be available for much longer will it?
The following 2 users liked this post by PRE-Z06:
C7Me (04-30-2022), heysteveh (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 06:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
I have been fortunate to have owned 11 Corvettes, starting with a 70 LT-1 convertible. I will be getting my C8 soon, and then a C8 Z06 after that. If the rumored ZR1 is all ICE, I will finish with that. I will never own an electrified Corvette.
I'm also not a fan of an EV Vette. BUT have watch what F1 has done with a "performance Hybrid" combined with a small ICE. Besting speeds on old tracts of much larger ICE engines of the past. No longer allow refueling on the same length races of old. Significantly increasing the efficiency of frankly the large energy wasting ICE.

I started late with Vettes, buying my 1st a 1988 and have only had 6. But they have been my DD since that time. Love my C8 as I did my prior C7 Grand Sport. But ready to buy the "Performance Hybrid" C8 with small battery (like F1) powering two back to back ~50 hp electric motors at the bottom of the Frunk for AWD.

R&T April 26 said discussing a ZR1 Mule recently seen: following significantly condensed by me:
"Looks like the original roomers that said it will include a "performance Hybrid" FWD for AWD performance are getting reinforced. The C8 Corvette ZR1 ...mule is wearing heavier camouflage than other C8 prototypes. This C8 features thick camouflage around the front facia and side intakes, completely obscuring them from view. The wheels ... are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S ... standard equipment on the high-performanceZ06. The E-Ray will reportedly wear the same wide bodywork as the high-performance models.
The ZR1 is expected to arrive with a twin-turbocharged variant of the LT6 V-8, which will wear the LT7 internal moniker. That engine is expected to provide at least 850 horsepower.... We also already know that E-Ray will retain the 6.2-liter LT2 V-8 from the Stingray."

Motor1 also added April 28:
"The range-topping version of the C8 Corvette will reportedly be the Zora. It will allegedly combine the twin-turbo engine from the ZR1 with the electrical powertrain assistance from the E-Ray to create a 'Vette making more than 1,000 horsepower (745 kilowatts). Previous info suggests the model is coming in 2025."

Yep, I could buy a Zora! It will no doubt have higher hp FWD electric motors.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:50 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Except if the minority is being abused, that’s why the need for checks and balances. I’m for small government, freedom of choice and personal responsibility. I don’t know that I agree with your statement as they’re rather vague. Do humans want to take the path of least resistance yes, but is the easy way always the best no and more often than not I believe that’s the case despite our desires. The poll I made early shows a majority want the Z06 over an E-Ray, but that choice won’t be available for much longer will it?
Well you were the one who first posed the question as to should the majority have a say. Now should they be able to "abuse" the minority - no. One party has always said they are for small government, freedom of choice and personal responsibility, yet they are the one's who want to control what a woman does with her body - that is none of what they supposedly stand for. Not sure what I said was vague. As to your poll, I would suggest this forum is not exactly representative of the buying public. However, it will be interesting in @ 18 months (hopefully) when both are being produced and sold to see what the real difference in demand is. The ultimate for me would be for them to take the Z06 and add twin 83 hp+ electric motors up front, PHEV with a 10kWh + battery. I think that would be a better way to solve the low end torque concern with the FPC motor.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:50 PM
heysteveh
Racer

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Well you were the one who first posed the question as to should the majority have a say. Now should they be able to "abuse" the minority - no. One party has always said they are for small government, freedom of choice and personal responsibility, yet they are the one's who want to control what a woman does with her body - that is none of what they supposedly stand for. Not sure what I said was vague. As to your poll, I would suggest this forum is not exactly representative of the buying public. However, it will be interesting in @ 18 months (hopefully) when both are being produced and sold to see what the real difference in demand is. The ultimate for me would be for them to take the Z06 and add twin 83 hp+ electric motors up front, PHEV with a 10kWh + battery. I think that would be a better way to solve the low end torque concern with the FPC motor.
Golly Gee, are we really going to start debating Abortion on a Corvette forum? Just shoot me now... woops, sorry, now I've started a gun control debate. Soooo, how 'bout that new ERay!!!!??
The following 4 users liked this post by heysteveh:
C7Me (04-30-2022), Fast Dawg (05-01-2022), msm859 (04-30-2022), pennsylvaniaron (04-30-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:28 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Total, utter, BS....
The following 3 users liked this post by R&L's C6:
C7Me (04-30-2022), Fast Dawg (05-01-2022), pennsylvaniaron (04-30-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 10:41 PM
Hunter25
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There will NEVER be an electric Corvette in my garage !!!!
Not even a hybrid !!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunter25:
Mad*Max (04-29-2022), Michael A (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 08:39 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

lmmfao....

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 04-30-2022, 08:42 AM
ZO6ZO7isme
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Total, utter, BS....
that’s what the liberals want you to believe, AND IT IS TOTAL BS x 10….. come November, Americans will demonstrate what they think of the left.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZO6ZO7isme:
C7Me (04-30-2022), Fast Dawg (05-01-2022), Paws (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 08:43 AM
pennsylvaniaron
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter25
There will NEVER be an electric Corvette in my garage !!!!
Not even a hybrid !!!
There will never be a model T in my barn!!
Get rid of Betsy and Trigger!!

Regards...
Old 04-30-2022, 09:42 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,989 Likes on 4,331 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by JerryU

R&T April 26 said discussing a ZR1 Mule recently seen: following significantly condensed by me:
"Looks like the original roomers that said it will include a "performance Hybrid" FWD for AWD performance are getting reinforced. The C8 Corvette ZR1 ...mule is wearing heavier camouflage than other C8 prototypes. This C8 features thick camouflage around the front facia and side intakes, completely obscuring them from view. The wheels ... are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S ... standard equipment on the high-performanceZ06. The E-Ray will reportedly wear the same wide bodywork as the high-performance models.
The ZR1 is expected to arrive with a twin-turbocharged variant of the LT6 V-8, which will wear the LT7 internal moniker. That engine is expected to provide at least 850 horsepower.... We also already know that E-Ray will retain the 6.2-liter LT2 V-8 from the Stingray."

Motor1 also added April 28:
"The range-topping version of the C8 Corvette will reportedly be the Zora[color=#262626]. It will allegedly combine the twin-turbo engine from the ZR1 with the electrical powertrain assistance from the E-Ray to create a 'Vette making more than 1,000 horsepower (745 kilowatts). Previous info suggests the model is coming in 2025."
So they're just regurgitating the same information/rumors that have been posted on this site for a couple years now.

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette