Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 07:11 PM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

NO WAY EVER....are they including a sound track you can play for the engine???? I paid an extra $1000 for that wonderful sound...
Old 04-28-2022, 10:24 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
The only reason why Wall Street cares now is because of the well known government mandates and subsidies that helped with the rise of Tesla and the EV market. This market, instead of being allowed to organically grow, was influenced and manipulated by these subsidies and CAFE requirements.

Tesla had a big jump start in this once emerging market and is definitely an innovative company, hence why they are a Wall Street darling. Wall Street loves growth potential and Tesla has had this market basically to themselves. Now the other manufacturers are way behind the curve trying to play catchup to grab some of that market share. But make no mistake, this full on push towards 100% EV is driven by the government’s manipulation of the automobile industry.
Which came first the chicken or the egg? I don’t think there’s much difference these days in the government or Wall Street, they are in each others pockets. You can blame one or the other, but I believe they’re in cahoots and both responsible in directing the market. Delorean probably would have made it had it been subsidized.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 04-28-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:36 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 761 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
The good news is there is still a lot of time before the only option for someone will be an EV - but we should be looking forward today. In CA all new homes have to be wired for an EV charger. New multi-family units require 10% of parking spaces to be able to have EV charging. The same requirement should be for all new buildings were cars will be parking. Presently @ 2/3rds of Americans are already homeowners. Some cities are adding charging stations to street light posts for people who park on the streets. If we are proactive it will be less expensive and be ready for the EV transformation.
The good news is the government requires something ? And there is a lot of time ??!??

Maybe I’ll get banned here but I’m going to say .... I despise your thought process and posts 😉

God help us all
Old 04-29-2022, 01:56 AM
2slow2speed
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
GM has proven itself to be the ultimate opportunist. They prep for an EV Corvette, but just beforehand they finally create and release a flat plane crank ZO6 with all the bells and whistles, which underlines they just kept releasing the same old pushrod crap just to make a buck up until the announcement of an EV, and were then suddenly like "meh, lets give them what they wanted for the past thirty years then pull the plug on it a year later for an EV". So... they will make their money selling EV's up until a lithium crisis becomes prevalent and scarce, then it will be back to drawing board. Maybe another pushrod engine. It's opportunism, has nothing to do with emissions because the real future is in Hydrogen powered engines whebn it comes to clean air. Not the electric hydrogen crap, the real engines. Whether sourcing it through ammonia running an internal comnbustion engine, or pure hydrogen powering the new rotary engines that are absiolutely unreal. IMO, nothing that special about a Tesla Plaid, it's not the 100% torque, its the fact that it is running a 7.50 gear ratio while spinning 18,000 RPM. They literally need the weight to keep it grounded. But then again the new pistonless rotary engine spins to 25,000-RPM, so we shall see...
BTW: Does the Plaid have a different ratio than the Model S? From what I have seen the Model S has a reduction ratio of 9.7344.

As you stated hydrogen might be another way to go, either as the engine for the means of propulsion or the generator to provide the electricity to the motors. Interesting times indeed
Old 04-29-2022, 03:07 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 123sugey
The good news is the government requires something ? And there is a lot of time ??!??

Maybe I’ll get banned here but I’m going to say .... I despise your thought process and posts 😉

God help us all
Well that is quite an emotional ad hominem attack. Are you against all building codes or just those regarding EV's? Living in a civilized society the government will require a lot of things. Not all will agree with all things. That is why a specific objection in public discourse would be more productive than a simple blanket objection. We know the auto industry is going electric - you may not like that. Some may want to deny it and bury their head in the sand. However, as some have pointed out, that reality puts those without houses and/or garages at a disadvantage. It would be incompetence at this point to know that and not try to do something to be ready for the future. Infrastructure has been built to advance society and help prepare for the future. The government requires storm drains because we know in the future there will be storms and it is better to control the excess rain than let it cause damage. Dams, levees, fire stations etc. It is not a novel concept. The costs to add wiring in new construction for the future need of an EV is a fraction of the costs of retrofitting. Why would ANYONE be against this? Many people building a new house add "infrastructure" to be ready for future additions in many ways. Likewise, I do not understand your objection to my thought process that we have "time" to get this done before EV's dominate the roads - if we start acting now. Do you have a different solution for the future problem of people trying to charge their EV's? Because I am sorry, but your god is not going to help solve this problem.
The following 4 users liked this post by msm859:
ATC399 (04-29-2022), lostsoul (04-29-2022), Rapid Fred (04-29-2022), Z0HS1CK (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 06:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by rwillitt
Interesting to see if this is a track oriented car, those batteries tend to get really hot when pushed hard and reduce the electric power to keep from overheating.
Tesla's have batteries in a coolant fluid that use "battery power" to operate a chiller (at least the one Jay Leno showed.) The leaked December 2019 E-Ray details showed a "chiller" in the battery compartment. Frankly was a bit surprised for a "Performance Hybrid" as it's designed only for limited use, acceleration, including accelerating using FWD out of an apex etc. But assume it's to keep the battery lighter (note the small size listed in that leaked December 2019 detailed article. Assume the added "Chiller Weight" offsets using a larger "Battery Weight" with "Occasional" high-power use. For street driving you don't use continual 0 to 60 acceleration for example, so it is a benefit.

Now for racing, like Formula E can always swap cars! Or more like model electric car's can replace battery packs (like fuel stops.) OR short races!

Pic is from leaked article with many details. I added the words from that 2019 article to the top of the pic. Time and the pressure for "no fossil fuel" has changed so expect battery size might increase.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-29-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:14 AM
Rod1967
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by pageda
How will GM keep up with the demand for each new variant?
Drop the Stingray???
If the E-ray becomes the only available base model production issues are simplified.
None of us want to hear that - but it IS what the Feds are pushing for...
Old 04-29-2022, 08:14 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Well that is quite an emotional ad hominem attack. Are you against all building codes or just those regarding EV's? Living in a civilized society the government will require a lot of things. Not all will agree with all things. That is why a specific objection in public discourse would be more productive than a simple blanket objection. We know the auto industry is going electric - you may not like that. Some may want to deny it and bury their head in the sand. However, as some have pointed out, that reality puts those without houses and/or garages at a disadvantage. It would be incompetence at this point to know that and not try to do something to be ready for the future. Infrastructure has been built to advance society and help prepare for the future. The government requires storm drains because we know in the future there will be storms and it is better to control the excess rain than let it cause damage. Dams, levees, fire stations etc. It is not a novel concept. The costs to add wiring in new construction for the future need of an EV is a fraction of the costs of retrofitting. Why would ANYONE be against this? Many people building a new house add "infrastructure" to be ready for future additions in many ways. Likewise, I do not understand your objection to my thought process that we have "time" to get this done before EV's dominate the roads - if we start acting now. Do you have a different solution for the future problem of people trying to charge their EV's? Because I am sorry, but your god is not going to help solve this problem.
Do you believe in solutions getting voted on by the majority?
Old 04-29-2022, 09:02 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
We’re a republic, not a democracy.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:00 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Fred
We’re a republic, not a democracy.
The two are not mutually exclusive. We are a democratic republic to be accurate.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 10:37 AM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

not sure why anyone would want a hybrid, it's just twice as much that can go wrong. If you want an EV torque wait til the EV. Personally, I dont like the look and dont like electric, so its a hard pass for me. I'll stick to ICE corvette with curves.
Hunter25 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:20 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Tesla's have batteries in a coolant fluid that use "battery power" to operate a chiller (at least the one Jay Leno showed.) The leaked December 2019 E-Ray details showed a "chiller" in the battery compartment. Frankly was a bit surprised for a "Performance Hybrid"
Think of it more like a battery thermal management / energy recovery system. Also expect to see a heat pump in there ....

Old 04-29-2022, 11:20 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
not sure why anyone would want a hybrid, it's just twice as much that can go wrong. If you want an EV torque wait til the EV. Personally, I dont like the look and dont like electric, so its a hard pass for me. I'll stick to ICE corvette with curves.
Agreed but a plug-in hybrid has advantages. No range limit like a pure EV; plus for a sports car you can choose between EV mode for fuel economy or ICE for thrills/sound/feel.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:32 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,221 Posts

I recall many new homeowners wired their homes with Ethernet cables. I'm glad it wasn't enforced by a building code. Things change. Even 230V plugs change. Heavy gage copper is expensive. I also remember when copper wires were substituted with aluminum. We all know what happened with those. Government mandates rarely work out as intended. I can vision people running generators hooked up to these outlets during power outages just to suffocate themselves or burning down their homes. I can vision shoddy workmanship driving nails into wires in the walls. There are many instances that happened with plastic water pipes which isn't discovered until much later. Sometimes less is more. When majority of people drive EVs the consumer will demand 230V high ampere circuits, no need for another government regulation. It's all about big government vs. small government. The latest fad in Florida is to run little tubes with jets inside exterior walls in newly built homes to distribute chemicals for exterminators (lots of bugs and critters in Florida). When I asked about these from the exterminator guy who does go around to spray he told me 9 out of 10 of those systems don't work (leak or clogged) and even when present they don't use it. How about anti-siphon outside spigots that is the new code? Haven't seen one that doesn't leak after a couple years. Mandated sprinklers causing a lot of damage and insurance companies discount home policies for them. Any statistics on how many people die from burn injuries vs. smoke inhalation? It's not easy to predict all outcomes in the future. That is why AI and self driving cars are a myth. They will work 99% of the time... until they don't. A recent wheel speed sensor failure ($20 part) locked out reverse in my wife's car instead of disabling cruise control, ABS, traction and stability systems. Unintended consequences. A recall update that now forces my wife's car into park if I open the car door and take my foot off the brake (I frequently do this to check how far I'm from a parking space line). I can picture a faulty door contact playing havoc when I'm on the highway... Mercedes is playing with brake by wire, steering by wire and they are running into a lot of issues on the long run. In the name of progress. As I said, sometimes less is more.
msm859 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:32 AM
Rod1967
Instructor

I don't want an EV, but a hybrid I would certainly consider IF it is faster than a stand alone ICE.
I have a new hybrid Sienna. It's faster and quieter than my old ICE one, plus 41 mpg on the first tank wasn't hard to take.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rod1967:
msm859 (04-29-2022), Paws (05-01-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:41 AM
Tom Bunch
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default evette

not interested till many more charging stations built
Old 04-29-2022, 11:48 AM
Rod1967
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Bunch
not interested till many more charging stations built
Not interested in using a charging station no matter how many exist, except maybe at home.
Most hybrids don't even have the option of plugging in.

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 04-29-2022, 12:24 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod1967
I don't want an EV, but a hybrid I would certainly consider IF it is faster than a stand alone ICE.
I have a new hybrid Sienna. It's faster and quieter than my old ICE one, plus 41 mpg on the first tank wasn't hard to take.
How does the Hybrid handles vs the ICE?
The Hybrid Vette will for sure be quicker to 0-100 of the 3 C8 Variants IMO. AWD but with battery assist vs the traditional extra transaxle that takes power away. Plus other advantages.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:36 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Yes. This country would be better if we had true majority rule. Of course that would mean we would get rid of the electoral collage and gerrymandering. We would have to revise the Senate so that it is proportional to population. Get rid of the filibuster - which is anti-majority. The majority of Americans are pro choice, believe in climate change, want universal healthcare and reasonable gun laws. So do you believe in majority rule?
The following 2 users liked this post by msm859:
blueapplepaste (04-30-2022), Dominic Sorresso (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 12:37 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

not sure why anyone would want a hybrid, it's just twice as much that can go wrong.
The reason many want it is simple:

This might... not be the best example.. but......Its like that special point in all men's life of choosing to marry a naughty girl or a good girl. You can now have both(without breaking polygamy laws)

-Your not reliant on any one technology .. so if the engine gives out (valve spring) you might be able to ride ev to a safe place or vice versa
- You will have close to Z06 power at a cheaper price(maybe), but will have no gas tax which can be high.
- You will have AWD and maybe TQ vectoring
- You will have the EV TQ and yet still have the ICE sound of beauty
- Depending on Batt size people may save ALLOT on GAS
- No doubt GM will use the next battery tech

The E-ray is the stepping stone between different worlds.. it will be a big collectors car when we are all running around in..... high powered eggs.

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette