Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

The E-Ray undisguised on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 03:04 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Then you must think the C8 Stingray has no character. The E-Ray is "probably" going to be the Stingray PLUS. It will be like adding a 21st century turbo. It should be better in every way from the standard Stingray - and better then the Z06 in some ways - like 0-60 and may give it a run in the 1/4 mile. The AWD will add to handling with torque vectoring. Hopefully this delay in bringing it to market will help GM do it right - PHEV, 8+ kWh battery and 150+ hp electric motor(s)
Verses the Stingray, the ERay is going to weigh much more, be much more complex, cost more, won't be as much fun on a track, most likely won't hold it's resale value nearly as well, will ultimately have to have it's very expensive batteries replaced, and might burn down your house if you park it in your garage. Those might be "better" qualities to you but I'm going to take a hard pass.
The following 7 users liked this post by SharkDiverZ06:
international blue (12-19-2021), JABCAT (12-29-2021), JockItch (12-20-2021), Savoy2001 (12-21-2021), Supermassive (12-21-2021), tom sheahan (12-27-2021), vettesweetnos (12-21-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2021, 03:23 PM
m2man
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JVi
I'd bet the EV battery will weigh 300 lbs.
The Fat Albert version of "sports" cars.
I have a 5.4 kWh Tesla battery pack, hooked to solar, powers a freezer for me. It's 50+ lbs.

1.8 kW is going to be about a loaf of bread and 20 lbs. The motors will certainly weigh more.

It should be pretty damn fun, especially in the city, if they can keep any steering feel.
The following 5 users liked this post by m2man:
JerryU (12-19-2021), JillyBean (12-20-2021), Kodiak Bear (12-19-2021), smoove7410 (12-19-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 03:57 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
Verses the Stingray, the ERay is going to weigh much more, be much more complex, cost more, won't be as much fun on a track, most likely won't hold it's resale value nearly as well, will ultimately have to have it's very expensive batteries replaced, and might burn down your house if you park it in your garage. Those might be "better" qualities to you but I'm going to take a hard pass.
Batteries replaced? I just bought a 2022 Hyundai Tucson plug-in hybrid for my wife. The warranty for the batteries is 10 years or 100 thousand miles. Battery technology and longevity has come a long way. Not as much fun on track??!! The E-Ray will be a street car, NOT a track car. If I wanted a car for the track I'd be looking to get a C8Z. I want the E-Ray for spirited driving on back roads, as I believe do many of us who are interested in the C8 hybrid. Cost more? Of course it will, but hopefully not more than $10 above what I paid for my C8 Z51. The AWD performance and instant torque will be worth it.

Last edited by MYROAD; 12-19-2021 at 04:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MYROAD:
JillyBean (12-20-2021), MDeg (01-09-2022), msm859 (12-20-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 05:56 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by JVi
I'd bet the EV battery will weigh 300 lbs.
The Fat Albert version of "sports" cars.
I'll bet a Big Orange drink against the battery weighing 300 lbs
Old 12-19-2021, 07:41 PM
MarioC8
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 248 Posts

I don’t think it’ll cost more. But no one knows yet. More complex? You mean more advanced? Also, the batteries will probably last 12-15 years.

And as someone pointed out, it’s not a track car, it’s a streetcar. Even with the z06, less than 5% of owners have actually tracked their vehicle.

if it were up to me, I’d go with the Z06. But the waitlist is way too long at this point, but the eRay should have its own unique qualities (faster launch, more tq around town, awd, etc).

You don’t have to put down one variation of the car to uplift another.
The following 5 users liked this post by MarioC8:
JerryU (12-20-2021), Kodiak Bear (12-20-2021), MDeg (01-09-2022), msm859 (12-20-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:03 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MarioC8
I don’t think it’ll cost more. But no one knows yet. More complex? You mean more advanced? Also, the batteries will probably last 12-15 years.

And as someone pointed out, it’s not a track car, it’s a streetcar. Even with the z06, less than 5% of owners have actually tracked their vehicle.

if it were up to me, I’d go with the Z06. But the waitlist is way too long at this point, but the eRay should have its own unique qualities (faster launch, more tq around town, awd, etc).

You don’t have to put down one variation of the car to uplift another.

My comment that you referenced notes that I was comparing the ERay to the Stingray, not the Z...And I wasn't trying to put down the ERay; I was just refuting a comment by msm859 that stated the ERay should "...be better in every way than the standard Stingray.", which I don't believe is accurate. If anyone was belittling one of the variations it was msm859, not me.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:55 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

I was just refuting a comment by msm859 that stated the ERay should "...be better in every way than the standard Stingray.", which I don't believe is accurate. If anyone was belittling one of the variations it was msm859, not me.

...ummmm.. but he is right though..lol .. if not GM failed their mission.. IT should be faster , better handling by leaps and bounds. As long as they keep the power up the weight added wont do anything but make it more solid. It will cost more so it should be better or whats the point... Now maybe the stereo will be the same..lol IG they do a small battery and small hp then it will be just like a GS, but the hybrid will be a wasted effort.. Well they do that??? we will see...........in another year =-/
The following 2 users liked this post by lostsoul:
msm859 (12-20-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:09 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

My comment that you referenced notes that I was comparing the ERay to the Stingray, not the Z...And I wasn't trying to put down the ERay; I was just refuting a comment by msm859 that stated the ERay should "...be better in every way than the standard Stingray.", which I don't believe is accurate. If anyone was belittling one of the variations it was msm859, not me.
Well I would stand by my comment as to it being better then the standard Stingray. I would not say it is belittling one of the variations. My comment was in response to the statement that the E-Ray - which will be better then the Stingray - just like the GS was better then the base Stingray - would have no character. The C8 Stingray has "character" and I wasn't trying to put it down - I own one. The E-Ray has Everything the base Stingray has PLUS electric motor(s) up front and a battery - which will make it a lot quicker and fun on the streets. It will be interesting to compare the handling - it will have more weight but the AWD will add a different dynamic. As to costs difference to turn the Stingray into a PHEV hybrid is not as great as some think - now what GM might charge could be a different story. A 10kWh battery should be less than $1500 - or less than the costs for carbon fiber trim. Likewise the electric motor(s) are not that expensive. Extra computing might be tough right now with the chip shortage. This does not include the engineering costs. But for some who mention an under 2 kWh battery, that would be crazy to go to all the other expense and trouble of making a hybrid and then cheapen out on the battery.

Last edited by msm859; 12-20-2021 at 10:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by msm859:
MYROAD (12-20-2021), Only1cannoli (01-03-2022), Z0HS1CK (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:21 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Only thing that will get "burned" or smoked, is the petrol purists at the local stop light or drag strip.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chrisrokc:
MDeg (01-09-2022), Z0HS1CK (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:52 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Only thing that will get "burned" or smoked, is the petrol purists at the local stop light or drag strip.
Perhaps. But look at the car objectively. As it is described here its neither Fish nor Fowl, will be "smoked" by the Tesla Plaid and its 9.25 quarter mile. Its no SF90, and even that wonder car is in many minds, seen as going the wrong way....it is more statement than substance...

It may be important for GM to make electric cars, or hybrids or other machines removed from the Corvette. But Corvette should not become the unibrand like the Mustang... no matter how dead sexy this shape is...

Old 12-20-2021, 02:05 PM
JillyBean
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 385 Posts

winner!!
the e-ray will be 0-60 winner and possibly 1/4 mile
batteries needing replaced anytime before 10-15 years is not happening
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:23 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I don't know how many different ways to make this clear...

Petrol purists aren't concerned in the least with the way an electric car goes...They have always been unbeatable.

They simply provide instant torque and power without question. So great. Petrol guys don't think about beating electric cars anymore than we rejoice in beating horses or guys that ride pedal bikes. Its simply a different type of ground transportation. We buy gas from private vendors, electric guys have to live off the state grid which is always 100 percent reliable. Different strokes.

And I still think the car photographed is a Z06 mule putting on long term miles as part of the pre sale test program...
The following 2 users liked this post by international blue:
SharkDiverZ06 (12-20-2021), WalterSobchak (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:34 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Typical comment of someone operating at a low level of awareness.
The following 2 users liked this post by SharkDiverZ06:
Hemi Dave (12-25-2021), vettesweetnos (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 04:29 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,018 Likes on 1,831 Posts

I really don't care. It won't be the first or last time that a car that I didn't want is faster than the car that I did want.

The hybrid AWD C8 as a concept is cool with me, just isn't the car I'm looking for since it seems its using the LT2. And I really hope they don't call it e-ray.. that's just a dumb sounding name for a car. I didn't think it could get much worse than Mach-E.. but e-ray just might do it lol
vettesweetnos (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 05:02 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by msm859
Well I would stand by my comment as to it being better then the standard Stingray. I would not say it is belittling one of the variations. My comment was in response to the statement that the E-Ray - which will be better then the Stingray - just like the GS was better then the base Stingray - would have no character. The C8 Stingray has "character" and I wasn't trying to put it down - I own one. The E-Ray has Everything the base Stingray has PLUS electric motor(s) up front and a battery - which will make it a lot quicker and fun on the streets. It will be interesting to compare the handling - it will have more weight but the AWD will add a different dynamic. As to costs difference to turn the Stingray into a PHEV hybrid is not as great as some think - now what GM might charge could be a different story. A 10kWh battery should be less than $1500 - or less than the costs for carbon fiber trim. Likewise the electric motor(s) are not that expensive. Extra computing might be tough right now with the chip shortage. This does not include the engineering costs. But for some who mention an under 2 kWh battery, that would be crazy to go to all the other expense and trouble of making a hybrid and then cheapen out on the battery.
Agreed that 2 kWh battery is a joke, but I would take it further and say that I don't get the whole hybrid thing when pure EVs with much more dominate performance are already being main streamed. GM isn't giving us Hummer hybrids, they went directly to EVs...No reason Corvette shouldn't do the same thing. In fact, if you believe MotorTrend, one of the C8 variants will be full EV. If you're really concerned about 0-60 and Qtr. times that is your car, not a hybrid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...a-future-cars/
Old 12-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

I love the rise I got out of the petrol purist crowd!

Reminds me of when I was telling everyone there wouldn't be a manual transmission. Oh the humanity!

SharkDiverZ06, should I get extra insurance for the Tesla I have in my garage? It has been fire free for more than a few years now, might explode any day!
Z0HS1CK (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Number 9
Racer

Received 378 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by international blue
And I still think the car photographed is a Z06 mule putting on long term miles as part of the pre sale test program...
On the MECF the cofounder claims to have confirmed this is a Z06 mule. Did not say how he confirmed it but was adamant.
international blue (12-20-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To The E-Ray undisguised on the road

Old 12-20-2021, 05:50 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Agreed that 2 kWh battery is a joke, but I would take it further and say that I don't get the whole hybrid thing when pure EVs with much more dominate performance are already being main streamed. GM isn't giving us Hummer hybrids, they went directly to EVs...No reason Corvette shouldn't do the same thing. In fact, if you believe MotorTrend, one of the C8 variants will be full EV. If you're really concerned about 0-60 and Qtr. times that is your car, not a hybrid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...a-future-cars/
Many of us don't want an EV. My power panel is maxed out and I don't want to pay $5k plus for higher capacity service, new panel, 240V outlet in garage, etc. I want the advantages of a hybrid without going full electric. I'm not ready to give up the fun and sound of an ICE. Formula One is planning to stay with hybrids for at least the next decade. They don't want to give up the sound and excitement of ICE engines and are looking at sustainable fuels to power them rather than switching to all electric. They believe that they'd lose much of their audience appeal with all-electric power. They also say that present battery technology would more than double the weight of F1 cars and they would have a significant performance disadvantage on F1 tracks compared to hybrids.

Last edited by MYROAD; 12-20-2021 at 05:58 PM.
vettesweetnos (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 06:39 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

I love the rise I got out of the petrol purist crowd!

Reminds me of when I was telling everyone there wouldn't be a manual transmission. Oh the humanity!

SharkDiverZ06, should I get extra insurance for the Tesla I have in my garage? It has been fire free for more than a few years now, might explode any day!
Don't stop there...If you use the Full Self Driving feature make sure you have plenty of life insurance as well.
international blue (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 06:42 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Don't stop there...If you use the Full Self Driving feature make sure you have plenty of life insurance as well.
Good idea! I am going to need more than ever if I get a Denali Ultimate next year… or is that vehicle safe because it is petrol and GM made?

Quick Reply: The E-Ray undisguised on the road